Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Disappointed about lounge chairs

Comments

• CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    drakharis wrote: »
    It might be something we'll have to wait for the modders to improve as with everything else in the game.

EA has been depending on modders to fix their game since TS2.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • shokoroseshokorose Posts: 66 Member
    I don’t mean to insult young people. But I think this is a typical case of style over substance. I hate when I download a lot on the gallery and it so crammed full of cutesy clutter that the sims can barely move around. A lounge chair and beach towel that do absolutely nothing....not surprised. Further more it does not effect a Sims mood in any way. If I have a sim who’s tense...”relaxing” on a lounge chair does not effect their tense mood at all. My stupid male sim “relaxed” on a lounge chair all night through the pouring rain and lightning being scared. Did he get up? Nope. I finally had to tell to get off the stupid thing and go to bed.
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,553 Member
    Keep in mind the lounge chair is in the basegame, Maxis can still update it later.

I really hope they will. The lounge chair needs an update so badly.

Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,612 Member
    Base on this, I guess cars are out of the picture.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • KLAlexisKLAlexis Posts: 472 Member
    If they did come out with new lounge chairs in a future add on. It would make the ones they created now a waste of space and time since lots of us would prefer to use the multitasking ones over this one.

Which in that case they shouldve just waited until they could add multitasking to it to avoid backlash and disappointment from some of us instead of yet again making it seem like they did something good or favorable for us.
    "The truth hurts, but lies kill"
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited August 2019
    KLAlexis wrote: »
    If they did come out with new lounge chairs in a future add on. It would make the ones they created now a waste of space and time since lots of us would prefer to use the multitasking ones over this one.

Which in that case they shouldve just waited until they could add multitasking to it to avoid backlash and disappointment from some of us instead of yet again making it seem like they did something good or favorable for us.

You know, the absolute worst thing is that @SimGuruGraham came over to the forums a while ago to justify their decision about not being able to put them in a Stuff Pack because of the multitasking and animationwork they had to do in order to implement them.

Ok, fine, we wait.

Years later we get them in an 'Expansion Pack' (for 40$) and they seem to have just been thrown in quickly to add some fluff to the pack in some way instead of putting our money where their mouth is and make the chairs they should have made.

When even asking Graham about this, and why he said stuff about lounge chairs on the forums (again, I am not making this up just to bash Graham, he really made very clear statements about them in the past) there is literally no response at all. Kinda let it die and move on type of thing again. It's sad.

And no, I know Graham is not the -only- person or in charge of anything like that at all, but he is in charge of his own statements and wording, and should have known better before making bold statements about the addition of lounge chairs over on the public Sims forums.

Edit:

For the ones that are interested in his statements back in 2016, here you go.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14718178/#Comment_14718178

Or a direct quote for that matter:
    One of the core tenets of The Sims 4 is support for multitasking across the board, so it isn't acceptable to us to ship objects that you'd expect to work well with multitasking - such as a lounge chair - and limit them to a specific subset of animations or interactions.
    rudy8292 wrote: »

You know, the absolute worst thing is that @SimGuruGraham came over to the forums a while ago to justify their decision about not being able to put them in a Stuff Pack because of the multitasking and animationwork they had to do in order to implement them.

Ok, fine, we wait.

Years later we get them in an 'Expansion Pack' (for 40$) and they seem to have just been thrown in quickly to add some fluff to the pack in some way instead of putting our money where their mouth is and make the chairs they should have made.

When even asking Graham about this, and why he said stuff about lounge chairs on the forums (again, I am not making this up just to bash Graham, he really made very clear statements about them in the past) there is literally no response at all. Kinda let it die and move on type of thing again. It's sad.

And no, I know Graham is not the -only- person or in charge of anything like that at all, but he is in charge of his own statements and wording, and should have known better before making bold statements about the addition of lounge chairs over on the public Sims forums.

Edit:

One of the core tenets of The Sims 4 is support for multitasking across the board, so it isn't acceptable to us to ship objects that you'd expect to work well with multitasking - such as a lounge chair - and limit them to a specific subset of animations or interactions.

Yeaah. I do find it strange how the Sims 4 was advertised centering around multitasking, but obvious objects like lounge chairs dont have it.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member

Ok, fine, we wait.

Edit:

Sad...
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2019

Ok, fine, we wait.

Edit:

Thanks for that link. If I may quote a bit more and highlight some phrases here:
    There's a big difference in the acceptable quality bar when downloading a free mod vs paying anywhere from $10 - $40 for official content from Maxis. The thought that "a modder can do it, why can't [Maxis]" is a false dichotomy, because of that built in expectation that official content is held to a certain standard. On top of actually building the content, there's additional overhead that any new content we make needs to go through before we get it into your hands that a modder simply isn’t burdened with. One of the core tenets of The Sims 4 is support for multitasking across the board, so it isn't acceptable to us to ship objects that you'd expect to work well with multitasking - such as a lounge chair - and limit them to a specific subset of animations or interactions.

@purplereign mentioned the hospital bed, which is an excellent example of the type of object where we don’t feel the need to support a full suite of multitasking. Because that object serves a very specific purpose there's no expectation for it to multitask with everything, so we can author specific animations to support the gameplay for that object without having to port over the entire suite of social animations in the game.
    First I gave you an awesome, but I'm actually changing it into an insightful (unfortunately I have to choose). This is most revealing. And no, this isn't aimed at Graham. I'm just wondering where those standards, that were clearly still a point of attention in April 2016 (I agree with him you can't compare a mod job to a developer's job), went.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited August 2019

Ok, fine, we wait.

Edit:

I feel multitasking was nothing more than to allow Sims to talk (party hello!) *while* (loosely, as they switch between actions which is opposite of multitasking) doing other mundane things. Oh I'm forgetting playing with phone on toilet, which aside that the feature was overly advertisement as if it is innitiative, but it's nothing new but stripped down concept in four.

What's the selling point of game was exactly?
    The Sims 4: faster build mode, expressive sims with printed emotion strings?

Aside the lounge, there's been a thread that verified multitasking is the reason semi-open world isn't a thing. Not living up to promises kills my trust, therefor I think it's reasonable to conclude its one of baloney developers are spouting.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Ok, fine, we wait.

Edit:

Thanks for that link. If I may quote a bit more and highlight some phrases here:
    There's a big difference in the acceptable quality bar when downloading a free mod vs paying anywhere from $10 - $40 for official content from Maxis. The thought that "a modder can do it, why can't [Maxis]" is a false dichotomy, because of that built in expectation that official content is held to a certain standard. On top of actually building the content, there's additional overhead that any new content we make needs to go through before we get it into your hands that a modder simply isn’t burdened with. One of the core tenets of The Sims 4 is support for multitasking across the board, so it isn't acceptable to us to ship objects that you'd expect to work well with multitasking - such as a lounge chair - and limit them to a specific subset of animations or interactions.

@purplereign mentioned the hospital bed, which is an excellent example of the type of object where we don’t feel the need to support a full suite of multitasking. Because that object serves a very specific purpose there's no expectation for it to multitask with everything, so we can author specific animations to support the gameplay for that object without having to port over the entire suite of social animations in the game.
    First I gave you an awesome, but I'm actually changing it into an insightful (unfortunately I have to choose). This is most revealing. And no, this isn't aimed at Graham. I'm just wondering where those standards, that were clearly still a point of attention in April 2016 (I agree with him you can't compare a mod job to a developer's job), went.

I had to reread that part about acceptable quality and being held to a certain standard over and over again. I still keep going back and rereading. There are so many things I could say about that. Exactly what is their acceptable quality bar and certain standard they're held to if modders tend to end up fixing their mistakes in the end? What if what the "it" a modder can do is fix the game?

I think a lot of the players who use mods can definitely tell the difference as they wait for those free mods for a game they spent money on to fix said game they spent money on.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    If we are talking in animations, they are surely quite lacking imo

I always thought that Get To Work had bought so many new animations on the table and I was right. Looking at the Credits, It had much more animators compared to Island Living. They should hire more animators than new marketers imo
    Hoenstly, It wouldnt surprise me if they did this again. There are many aside from the lounge chair that I think shouldve had more or multitasking interations (Likewise, the fishbowl and outside critter tanks... we can't even feed them, yet they gave us tanked critters in MFP to feed, play, etc. It wouldve been nice if they patched in to be able to at least feed any critters we catch ).
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    They can definitely add it in at some point. They added in socializing while bowling, so it's not unforeseeable they'd update the lounge chairs to provide more multitasking.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Pegasys wrote: »
    They can definitely add it in at some point. They added in socializing while bowling, so it's not unforeseeable they'd update the lounge chairs to provide more multitasking.

What patch was that in, because I read them all and I must have missed they added socializing to bowling, the number one complaint about the activity other than the lack of Sims playing a real game like in TS2.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,704 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

What patch was that in, because I read them all and I must have missed they added socializing to bowling, the number one complaint about the activity other than the lack of Sims playing a real game like in TS2.

Not all game updates/fixes are listed in the patch notes.
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member

The June 19 2018 patch added it in:
    Sims can now socialize with each other while bowling, because it’s not like they’re breaking a sweat with rigorous athleticism.

Source: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/942005/june-19-2018-patch-notes

edited August 2019

Ok, fine, we wait.

Edit:

I had to reread that part about acceptable quality and being held to a certain standard over and over again. I still keep going back and rereading. There are so many things I could say about that. Exactly what is their acceptable quality bar and certain standard they're held to if modders tend to end up fixing their mistakes in the end? What if what the "it" a modder can do is fix the game?

I think a lot of the players who use mods can definitely tell the difference as they wait for those free mods for a game they spent money on to fix said game they spent money on.
    The part where I agree with him is that developers build a game, they create new stuff from scratch. Modders take it from there, use what devs created and make it better or add stuff to it. But all they can do is use what’s already in the game. But something must have happened between April 2016 and July 2019. Where lounge chairs in 2016 couldn’t been done properly by a modder because standards, in 2019 EA apparently is more than content with a version any mod out there can create and maybe even better.

(I agree with him to some extent by the way, but I also have questions; Sims 3’s SP for instance is a joke where it comes to standards compared to NRaas SP)
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited August 2019
    So they wait till 2019 to add lounge chairs, and then they wait a little while longer to patch them in a way so that they’re acceptable? That’s encouraging.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I have to be honest when my sim set in that lounge chair for the first time I was shocked. Not only can they not do things everyone mentioned but they dont look relaxed at all. They look tense and like they are still sitting up just leaning back slightly.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member

Different thing. They can talk in between turns while they are seated. No new animations required for that. Lounge chairs require new animation and that was supposedly what was holding them back from being in the game for so long.

Not all game updates/fixes are listed in the patch notes.

O.K. then how am I to know when I can stop complaining of lack luster gameplay? or bugs?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    bizuktag wrote: »

The June 19 2018 patch added it in:
    Sims can now socialize with each other while bowling, because it’s not like they’re breaking a sweat with rigorous athleticism.

Source: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/942005/june-19-2018-patch-notes

Thank you, this is good to know, finally. After a few years. I will have to remember it works as it should have now, and not when I paid for the pack. Long wait wasn't it. Glad I wasn't thirsty or hungry. :#
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member

Ok, fine, we wait.

Edit:

The part where I agree with him is that developers build a game, they create new stuff from scratch. Modders take it from there, use what devs created and make it better or add stuff to it. But all they can do is use what’s already in the game. But something must have happened between April 2016 and July 2019. Where lounge chairs in 2016 couldn’t been done properly by a modder because standards, in 2019 EA apparently is more than content with a version any mod out there can create and maybe even better.

(I agree with him to some extent by the way, but I also have questions; Sims 3’s SP for instance is a joke where it comes to standards compared to NRaas SP)

I agree to an extent too. Mods to like add stuff like weapons or where you only want your sim to do homework at a desk, or to make them gain skills faster are more altering, those I can understand. But mods to fix things that were released broken or that broke something else upon release and that after multiple years are still needed is where I feel like our level of standards and quality are higher than theirs.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Not sure if it was mentioned already but I just discovered that toddlers can't interact with lounge chairs (nor towels). I wanted a toddler to nap on a towel and couldn't interact with the object, so I tried the lounge chair and...NADA.
    Really?
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top