Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Decided to install sims 3 today

13...Next

Comments

• MiSFiT203MiSFiT203 Posts: 278 Member
    edited August 2019
    Thanks @Karritz I dont blame ya. with the sims 3 being such a pain in the plum like it is, makes me want to quit the sims franchise completely.

yesterday i went on the sims 4 for the first time in months, decided to start off making a new sim, spent about 2 hours on that, loaded her into game and 10 minutes later i was bored and stopped playing.

for 5 years i been hoping EA would get sick of the complaints and finally make a sims 5 that took all the best of previous games and combine them into greatness, but no... they want to make the sims 4 into the next windows 10 which goes on for eternity with endless updates and DLC.

glad something is finaly coming down the road that has gone thru EA's trash can and decided to make use of what everyone wants since EA doesnt seem to care. it's been a great 20 years, but im ready to kiss this franchise goodbye.

seems like the only people they listen to are people new to the franchise and dont care what us older folks want. kinda feel like sims 3 was purposely left in such a bad state to get players to move on and spend more money rather than staying behind and enjoying what they love. spend 1000$ on a game just to get punished for not spending more on a new one. *sigh

aside from that though, im a gamer of all sorts, i could never stop playing games lol. the sims franchise was always like my home and other games were like temporary vacation destinations for a nice exciting getaway til i miss home and return. lol no other franchise felt like that to me. sad, cause it just doesnt feel homey anymore.

Im not done yet, im still trying, but im really close to getting there.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    @MiSFiT203 I'm still playing my Sims 3 and making videos for YouTube with stories from my games and tutorials for fixing some of the problems that come up.

The YouTube side of it keeps me busy now and I've been watching lots of art videos. Plus a few others - no gaming videos though.

I'm not done with the game yet either so I hope it keeps running for a really long time.

I have Sims 4 base game but it bored me so much I couldn't see any addons to it would make it less boring and I spent so much on Sims 3 I didn't want to spend any more on a half done and partially working game. Since they chose not to fix so many of the problems with Sims 3 I couldn't expect they'd change their ways with Sims 4 so decided not to keep feeding them my money. I use mods and CC now to give me more variety in my games and to fix the problems I feel I need to have fixed.
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Hi @MiSFiT203

Glad you managed to repair your game and will be able to try again with 3 at some future date :)

@Karritz

This cracked me up when i read it "I started learning Unity a few years ago but haven't touched it for about 3 years now. It seems I'd rather paint pictures and sing than learn another computer program" Exactly! :)
    thanks @SPARKY1922

@Karritz couldnt agree with you more, i bought the sims 4 base game and a few packs early on, but felt the same as you, to me there is just no hope for that game. the only thing great about that game aside from create a sim is the way they drum up excitement for each new pack, but what good is pre-release excitement for a forth coming pack when there is nothing more exciting than 2 fun days of gameplay then the euphoria wares off and you realize its still the same old boring game with a few more shiny objects. they give away lots of free stuff now in updates to keep people distracted but nothing makes the game any better.
  • SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    MiSFiT203 wrote: »
    hi guys

so after starting Origin again to play sims 4, it found my sims 3 directory and tried to repair but download kept failing, so i re-installed Origin and the repair appears to have worked. so sometime soon i'll give things another try. :)

btw did you guys see the new paralives video on twitter? click and drag lot size creation. OMG
    cant wait til that game releases. and it uses unity which also has me excited. there is a game company that i cant mention here because of the kiddies that uses unity and the character creator options are the best i ever seen, as well as the characters themselves. i always hoped the sims would someday reach that level of customization but i doubt it. i just hope paralives can achieve something close to it. man, cant wait to see what that game becomes.

I've seen videos on Youtube - am very excited to see how this game works out. The building mode looks interesting and CURVED WALLS!!! lol

Hope you get to play Sims 3 :smile:
    edited August 2019
    @SPARKY1922 I'm glad you are entertained by my priorities. Lately I've been spending my money on art supplies. I now have a big box of coloured pencils and about 30 markers and have been learning to use them. Also still working on my videos. Went back to choir last night too. It's all looking good for now.

@misfit12 i like to avoid the hype if possible. Since I don't have Origin installed I haven't been able to update my Sims 4 game for about 2 years. I really don't miss it.
    @Karritz

Wonderful I am pleased you are doing so well and getting back to doing other activities clearly enjoy as well :)
    edited August 2019
    @Surreal yeah looks really cool so far, and thanks.

just lost about an hour of gameplay on sims 3 cause my game ate my video card settings recently and i was to lazy to look up how to fix it back at the time and then forgot about it. was geting all kinds of long stretchy blocky things and then i tried going to the future and game locked up. guess i need to add my video card again next time. lol

@Karritz no update in 2 years? awe but you missed last months super ugly rebrand update. lol

finally saw it yesterday, ewe lol

ok guess im done screwing up the sims 3 for today, time for some Netflix
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    @thuggishsplicer I don't install them at once neither. I start out with the worlds, then the compilations and so on. But as I usually buy a new computer every two or three years, things have to be downloaded from the store. For example, the items I have downloaded to my PC shows up as small boxes on my laptop. I wonder if I'm the only one, and I especially worry about when they'll shut down the store for good...
    NymlADp.jpg
    edited August 2019
    @jillbg wouldnt be surprised...

I lost tons of money spent on virtual items. really sucks when companies take all your money and then pull that crap. i lost alot when playstation home went down, as well as another site. imagine if a site like steam decided to pull the plug, you'd go from having 100s of games to none at the drop of a hat. welcome to the future. the only thing we own now is convenience, until we dont.

on the subject of PC's im still using my top of the line 2010 PC, have no income so best i can do. glad i spent alot for it, never thought it would last almost 10 years lol. but it still pretty much plays anything i throw at it, even todays games.
    @MiSFiT203 Lucky you to have a computer that lasts! I guess when you spend money on quality items, then know how to use them, it's all good! My laptop is my personal item, but the home computer is used by four people, including my husband who hasn't got a clue about computers :)
    NymlADp.jpg
    edited August 2019
    @jillbg i went thru a laptop phase when they became a thing, ended up getting like 2-3 years each out of em, finally said screw it and dropped 2 grand+ on a desktop. its an HP too, thought i was taking a risk when i was looking at it, felt like i should go custom but this was a powerhouse compared to anything i seen at the time so took the chance and it never let me down. even run it 24h a day and still lasted lol i did a video card and hard drive upgrade along the way but thats it. hopefully it got another 10 years left in it cause i doubt my wallet ever will :(
  • thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,745 Member
    @jillbg Hey! Even though I'm no computer whiz, would you care sharing a screenshot of the small boxes you mentioned? I got curious. Plus, I'm also interested in knowing if you get those small boxes with everything or with some of the items.

Downloading everything from the site is a herculean job. If I ever do it again, I might take a full day. And if they site gets down, I'll end up decrapifying everything and using what I can. There are some hairstyles that I can't live without.
    jillbg wrote: »
    @thuggishsplicer I don't install them at once neither. I start out with the worlds, then the compilations and so on. But as I usually buy a new computer every two or three years, things have to be downloaded from the store. For example, the items I have downloaded to my PC shows up as small boxes on my laptop. I wonder if I'm the only one, and I especially worry about when they'll shut down the store for good...

I own the who 3 store so i feel your pain about reinstalling lol however now I just use my backup simpaks and the like.

I made a fresh S3 folder downloaded all my store content into that then copied and saved that folder as it has a fresh download of everything from the store. Next I install all the store content via the launcher into my game then copy and backup this folder as well so i have a clean S3 folder I can use whenever I might want/need to start over with just my store content installed and nothing else. If you do it this way you won't have to keep reinstalling from the store and you can save these folders on an external hard drive as well for when you are going between different PC's as you change them. I did this as i was worried going back even a couple of years thinking the store might close :)

MiSFiT203 wrote: »
    @jillbg i went thru a laptop phase when they became a thing, ended up getting like 2-3 years each out of em, finally said screw it and dropped 2 grand+ on a desktop. its an HP too, thought i was taking a risk when i was looking at it, felt like i should go custom but this was a powerhouse compared to anything i seen at the time so took the chance and it never let me down. even run it 24h a day and still lasted lol i did a video card and hard drive upgrade along the way but that's it. hopefully it got another 10 years left in it cause i doubt my wallet ever will :(

I have gone thee same route as you I started with a couple of awful desktop PC's when I first started playing the sims and then when the light dawned that their minimum specs was beyond a joke I had to make a decision as to whether i wanted to spend a lot more on a custom build so i could play the game properly or give up and i chose to first option which cost £££££ but it allowed me to play my game reletavely pain free until the last 1.69 patch so when that happened I had my techie install another internal SSD and put windows 7 on that drive updated what i needed to then turned the internet off on that hard drive and so far so good. I credit the sims 3 with forcing me to continue to gain a basic understanding of computers because without this game and the things that can go wrong I never would have lol :) The beauty of doing it this way as you say is each part that breaks down can simply be replaced when that happens without having to buy another whole computer and while I still have a laptop and a tablet I only tend to use those when my desktop needs repairing now or if i am out and about.
    @SPARKY1922 You're a genius, never thought about transferring the whole S3 folder! :) I should have thought about it, as I have a "new" S3 folder for every world I use in my story, as moving packages about is tiresome work and I have so much CC installed for the different chapters. I will do as you suggested - download everything into a fresh folder!

NymlADp.jpg
    @jillbg

Glad I could help as believe me I downloaded 129 pages of store content over and over before the lightbulb dawned lol plus as I learned that certain other files within a sims 3 folder can corrupt over (lengthy game-play time) it made sense to backup/keep a new downloaded folder with store content as a backup so I had clean/folder and any other files that may have become corrupted over time whenever I needed them (for whatever reason) then I could add back my favorite lots and families to the new S3 folder to just continue on playing my game :)
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    @thuggishsplicer

I'm not jillbg, but here is a screenshot that shows you what the little boxes look like on the launchers Download tab:

q2wyh78.jpg

And here is how they look when they are correct:

YG4Joqq.jpg

jillbg wrote: »
    I don't install them at once neither. I start out with the worlds, then the compilations and so on. But as I usually buy a new computer every two or three years, things have to be downloaded from the store. For example, the items I have downloaded to my PC shows up as small boxes on my laptop. I wonder if I'm the only one, and I especially worry about when they'll shut down the store for good...

No, you're not the only one with this particular "boxproblem". Here at Carl's there's another person that seemed to be in the same situation.

When I see those little boxes I ignore the problem. I just install the same as if the pictures were there. Often the pictures appear eventually.
    Karritz wrote: »
    When I see those little boxes I ignore the problem. I just install the same as if the pictures were there. Often the pictures appear eventually.

Then your boxes must be caused by something else, something milder and less serious that allows you to ignore it and install the object anyway. When The Duckmeister at Carl's tried to install a boxed object this is what happened:

Quote from Carl's:
    "Now, I thought I had done all the steps accurately, but when I opened up the launcher they only displayed themselves as boxes. When I further went and attempted to install one to test it, I got the same message, this:

"afBodyGownOscr.Sims3Pack: Installation failed: Please make sure your game has the latest Software Updates and try again. Done!"

My game says it's up to date, so I'm unsure of what to do. All I know is that I want to back up my Sims 3 items and be able to download them in the future."

And the same thing happened when I clicked install on the incorrect boxed version of Dragon Valley:

hkgANyl.jpg

There are probably several different reasons behind Store objects showing up as boxes in the Launcher. In my case the only time this has happened was when I copied the World files Dragon Valley and Monte Vista directly from their discs, put them in the Downloads folder and tried to install them. I only did it as an experiment, to see what would happen. When I do it the right way, download them from my Purchase history on the Store site, they, and everything else, look like they're supposed to, and install successfully.
    @SuzyCue72

I have no problems downloading with the boxes showing either as opposed to the pic showing up in the launcher however the only time I have ever got messages like the one above is when I have made a mistake trying to install store purchases in the wrong game for example I am on 1.69 patch through Origin with my S3 digital game and 1.67 on my disc game on another hard drive and if I have not been looking at what i am doing I have got the patch version and which game I am playing mixed up and I get that message.

Are you playing through Origin on the 1.69 patch or a disc game on the 1.67? Have you tried repairing your game in Origin sometimes that works. If nothing else works it could maybe be something in your folder that has become corrupt. If you are trying to save and backup all your store content in one 3 folder I always do that on a clean new S3 folder then save that for future use.
    edited August 2019
    @SPARKY1922 - I think you have misunderstood my post. If you read the last paragraph again you'll see that I don't have any problems with my Store object installations. :)

The boxed incorrect versions of Dr. Valley and Monte Vista are the result of my little experiment.

But thanks anyway for trying to help, even though it isn't necessary.
    @SuzyCue72

Trust me lol :):s
  • thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,745 Member
    @SuzyCue72 Thanks for clarifying that! Those screenshots helped a bunch!

I think I've seen them, especially when the package is being loaded (just as Karritz mentioned). They happen more if I add and remove items from the "downloads" folder while the launcher is open. That's why I was like "I install things in batches". I haven't played the sims in a while, but it frightens me not being able to use those things in case the store is put down. :-(
    @SuzyCue72 Thanks for clarifying that! Those screenshots helped a bunch!

I think I've seen them, especially when the package is being loaded (just as Karritz mentioned). They happen more if I add and remove items from the "downloads" folder while the launcher is open. That's why I was like "I install things in batches". I haven't played the sims in a while, but it frightens me not being able to use those things in case the store is put down. :-(

@thuggishsplicer - You're welcome. :)

Yeah, you know what they say, don't you? "A picture is worth a thousand words." :)