Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can teenagers live alone in the sims 3.

In TS2, I make a family with adults and then the teen is alone. In TS4, I just make teen household. None of those work in TS3. Can you have a teen household in TS3, from the start? Can you kill off an adult?

Comments

• mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    This is possible with NRaas' Mover mod. The game by itself doesn't allow for teens to live alone unless the adults in the household die.
  • KeiomestreKeiomestre Posts: 195 Member
    Without mods you must make an adult with your teenagers to start with. Just make a random adult that doesn’t need to be related to the teens, then, as soon as you start playing, just make a 2 squares pool, make the adult dive, close the pool with walls and, some sim hours later, job’s done.

I made one burned building once where 4 teens lived alone and I had to get rid of the adult that way. Teens can make good money if they skip school a few days and ok money otherwise.
    ..... ..... ..... ..... My favorite Sims 3 family: THE ENFADONHOS!..... ..... ..... .....
    Vgfhu74.jpg
  • Dida_QuickswitchDida_Quickswitch Posts: 290 Member
    Ok, so I killed off the adult with the pool + wall thing, but I got 1 more question. Is there any negative effects of having your teen neglect the schoolwork? I plan for her to focusing on surviving with lower wages, harder bills and 100 simelons on a 1*1 square, with a tree and a park bench on. (She is supposed to be a runaway living in the park). Only get her grades up a little bit before she turns young adult so I can choose her last trait. Wich grade do I need to achieve to get to pick myself?
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,093 Member
    edited August 2019
    Ok, so I killed off the adult with the pool + wall thing, but I got 1 more question. Is there any negative effects of having your teen neglect the schoolwork? I plan for her to focusing on surviving with lower wages, harder bills and 100 simelons on a 1*1 square, with a tree and a park bench on. (She is supposed to be a runaway living in the park). Only get her grades up a little bit before she turns young adult so I can choose her last trait. Wich grade do I need to achieve to get to pick myself?

If I remember correctly, your sim has to have a grade of at least a B to get to pick your trait. It's been awhile since I was able to play Sims 3 though. The only negative I remember of doing poorly besides not getting to pick their trait, is that sometimes they will get detention and have to stay after school longer when they go.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    There are also negative moodlets associated with failing grades, but those aren't permanent and wouldn't apply if she is maintaining at least a C average.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    edited August 2019
    Dropped school a few days with her, she got a very bad D, bordering on an E, but she have been at school the last 3-4 days, for the simple reason she gets fed :D. Her harvest isn't ready yet, but there is little time for homework. The carpool from work shows up 1 hour after school ends and after that it's to hit the gym to use the shower and back home to the sleeping bed( I could get a bed for only 5 simelons more, but figured it would be more realistic with the sleeping bag. First thing she is going to buy now is a stow, a fridge and a kitchen bench so she can learn fishing and get a real meal, not needing school to keep her fed. Maybe then she can go to work in a good enough mood to get a promotion. I got mod for harder bills, (3,8 times as much) and lower wages(pop stars and leader of the free world earn more), starting salary for part time job is 7 simelons pr hour. Intro cooking for adults is down from 25 pr hour to 8. Also you don't get job performance unless you meet all the other requirements and it goes up a lot slower for both school and work.

Edit: See you are at NRaas. Can anyone of you make a mod that slows down skilling to fit with longer life span. Like 5 or 10 times as slow? I found one on MTS, but it didn't work, guess it's not updated for the latest expansions. Would be really nice as I think normal skill gaining is a tad OP with 1 day being a month instead of a year in their life.
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    quick question @igazor can the homeschool mod be used with teens living alone or does there have to be an adult in the house to be the caregiver as such?

Also I am not sure if the social worker is able to take teens away ( I thought it was just babies and children) but is is so long since I played home alone teens I cannot remember. Cannot seem to find any info on any negative penalties for teens skipping schools with bad grades?

@Dida_Quickswitch

You have made me want to play a teen household again as I really enjoyed playing them a few years back so I must add it to my ever growing list of things to do again in the game :)
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,277 Member
    Dropped school a few days with her, she got a very bad D, bordering on an E, but she have been at school the last 3-4 days, for the simple reason she gets fed :D. Her harvest isn't ready yet, but there is little time for homework. The carpool from work shows up 1 hour after school ends and after that it's to hit the gym to use the shower and back home to the sleeping bed( I could get a bed for only 5 simelons more, but figured it would be more realistic with the sleeping bag. First thing she is going to buy now is a stow, a fridge and a kitchen bench so she can learn fishing and get a real meal, not needing school to keep her fed. Maybe then she can go to work in a good enough mood to get a promotion. I got mod for harder bills, (3,8 times as much) and lower wages(pop stars and leader of the free world earn more), starting salary for part time job is 7 simelons pr hour. Intro cooking for adults is down from 25 pr hour to 8. Also you don't get job performance unless you meet all the other requirements and it goes up a lot slower for both school and work.

Edit: See you are at NRaas. Can anyone of you make a mod that slows down skilling to fit with longer life span. Like 5 or 10 times as slow? I found one on MTS, but it didn't work, guess it's not updated for the latest expansions. Would be really nice as I think normal skill gaining is a tad OP with 1 day being a month instead of a year in their life.

@Dida_Quickswitch, you may want to check out this thread that talks about NRaas Relativity mod as it can slow down skill gaining. I haven't yet tried it in my game even though I do have the mod installed in my game. I'm still learning things about the different mods myself but I know @igazor is a big help as he on the NRaas site as well as being over here to help anyone who needs the help... :)

So maybe this thread can help you answer your question about slowing down the skill leveling in your game... :)
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/819496/nraas-relativity

edited August 2019
    Correct, the skill gain scaling and further tuning from there are handled by NRaas Relativity.

Yes, homeschooling will work fine for a teen head of household. The NRaas Careers mod and its Schools add-on module are required, and then access to a computer, personal or at a library or elsewhere, to turn in homework or else they will have to do that in person at City Hall at least once per day. Or if there is no intention to bother with homework and scholastic progress, then of course the computer access is not necessary.

There are no social worker repercussions of a teen failing high school. I've had teens never actually go to school or bother with anything school related after the first day. They get into trouble with the adults in the household (but that can't happen if there are no adults), they cannot be put in detention if they never show up to school in the first place, they bravely suffer through the negative "I'm Failing!" moodlets, they do not get to enjoy academic benefits bestowed upon them at graduation (it's not much to be missing out on), and they get a typically unfortunate trait assigned to them upon aging up to YA that can be changed through CAS or MasterController anyway.

I certainly don't play all of my sim teens that way, but it's really no big deal to buck the system and find free lunches that might be more satisfying elsewhere; with the homeschooling system, the teen won't keep getting pushed by the game to attend school in person so they can fail that way using up less of their personal time by just ignoring the required homework assignments. I don't know, there's something satisfying about seeing these teens finish up high school with a perfect F (or E, depends on the locality) grade. Ha, and the best part is that they can still go to Uni (don't expect a serious academic scholarship though) or get a job in the medical profession and become a neurosurgeon by learning how to play chess or faking it and staring at the sky through a telescope to build up some minimal amount of Logic skills. :)

On a perhaps more balanced level, I've played families where the head of household was a teen and did a great job of raising their younger siblings both with and without accepting the importance of the traditional scholastic experiences and more commonly seen rites of passage.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Thanks for clarifying @igazor

Obviously my memories of playing teens alone and bringing up their younger siblings were correct-) (what a rarity these days lol) To be honest I think teens sometimes appear to look after their younger siblings better than the parents occasionally lol
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    My sims have never gone to school, I delete all schools from every world I play with. I like having them home, to do things. It is more fun to play with my child sim and teen then have them gone until 3 and then do homework, eat and go to bed. I like having them around. I did a A-Z generation and no one went to school. That is one thing I do not like in Sims 4, I cannot delete the school and have to wait until it is time to go to school to delete going to school.
    Hi @Evalen

The 4 the school system is ridiculous to me and of course there is nothing to delete as there are no physical schools (unless you use mods) so I tend to use a mod that allows children and teens to stop school without social worker or other issues when playing because i am still unsure about what the system can do to take your kids away lol I think like 3 teens though do not get taken away if they don't get to school just children.

In 3 I dislike to demolish the schools because they are a physical place where the worlds kids turn up I just don't want my kids to have to turn up and go to school so it gets a little more complicated if I do not wish to demolish the school building and it's been awhile since i played a teen household with younger siblings so i have forgotten some things however @igazor reminded me by posting the info above how to do it without getting rid of the school.

Like you I like homeschooling my kids by doing activities they enjoy skilling up at the same time sometimes I travel to the future where time stops and my kids can take all the time in the world to enjoy skill up and then go back home to homeworld :)
    It's says it slows down the time of the day I don't know what that means.
    @SPARKY1922 I find it more fun keeping my kids and teen at home. They get to do so much more. The meet friends at the park, so that is no problem. I do not use mods and that. I have never had a social worker take a child or teen for not going to school. I do find it so much more fun watching them grow up. I am advocate for Home Schooling in RL too. So maybe that is why I do not send my sim kids to school. I love it when I send them fishing with their father. Must try the sending them to the future. Funny I send my YA and A to the future but not the kids. I will do that the next time. Thanks for that info.
    @Evalen

Oh me too I love that in S3 I can take my babies/toddlers/children everywhere with me and organize skill events that are fun and appealing to my kids-) however when I travel into the future with family and time stops then my sim families really get to know one another as well as using the time they have to skill up as they have the time to do that so I love watching that and hope you can gain some quality sims family time when you try going into ITF as the whole family :)
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,277 Member

@Dida_Quickswitch,

Here is an explanation of what the mod does that was posted by @igazor in another thread.
    NRaas Relativity does not make the game "drag," it allows sims to perform routine tasks in less (often considered more realistic) game clock time. By default, the game clock speed is 37. Lower numbers mean fewer ticks per sim minute, so things take less game clock time to get done not that each minute takes that much more real time to get through. The most popular setting is 19, but that's too much a change for me and I prefer 23. Others settle for settings more like 25 but some prefer actually lower than 19.

The differences are subtle, not quite jarring as let's say making each day twice or three times as long in real time to get through might be -- this is not what happens. But my sims don't have to get up in the middle of the night just so they have time to shower and prepare breakfast to make it to work/school on time and they do have more game clock time for something after dinner other than maybe watching TV for 20 sim minutes and then collapsing from exhaustion. Nor does it take them sim hours to get out of the house and across town unless the town is really that large and their method of transport is really that slow. :)[/quote
    edited August 2019
    The original purview of NRaas Relativity is to offer a chance to change the way time passes relative to the game clock, as @lisasc360 has shown.

Along the way other features were added to the mod such as Intervals (this is a pretty advanced topic), mood deltas and decay factors, and skill scaling. Not all of the mod's features have to be used or experimented with all at once. But it was asked if we could provide a mod that scales skill gaining to life spans and my response is that we already have one that does. That feature and its accompanying skill gain factor settings can work independently of the rest of the mod.

NRaas > Relativity > Apply Life Span Skill Factor > True (default is False)
    NRaas > Relativity > Skill Gain Factors > (default is 1 for all of the skills)

Over and above the life span scaling, setting individual skill gain factors to positive fractional numbers less than 1 (like 0.75 or 0.5) will throttle skill gaining further by that factor. Setting the factors to values higher than 1 will instead increase the speed of skill gains.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @Evalen - I think I would be too afraid to delete the rabbit hole school from my worlds without some sort of replacement prepared. I genuinely dislike that the schools offer no advancement of any of the 'real' skills and is basically another 'task' for players to time-manage (with the option to trait choose when successful aside).

I play with the entire town. I can't imagine trying to get anything accomplished in my worlds with children and teens out and about on the lots at all hours during the day. While they are *trapped* at school, I am free to work on upgrading lots and adding needed builds to my worlds (otherwise, I have to wait until nighttime when they are all asleep or in hibernation (or is it suspended animation??).

When it comes to Sim education, I have several 'teachers' trained in various subjects (skills) who can help children and teens develop their real world skills based on what they show their interest are (and not what traits they have). The system seems to work.

I do have a household where a teen male is 'looking after' his younger sister, while their mother is in another world trying to make a better life for them (I don't believe in killing Sims, so I used the mover mod to set up this family's story-line). Having a place to go during the day (school) and teachers to talk with (after-school) seems to emotionally help him while he is 'holding-down-the fort' until his mother returns for them. His family ties are very strong.
    edited August 2019
    I see there is once again a slight misunderstanding among several players here as to what public education is all about. I am a product of that system myself. Skills? -- Ha! I say. The point of making the young ones go to school is to keep them off the streets and out of everyone's hair (yes, some adults actually want their kids and teens around and in their hair but we're talking about sacrificing things for the greater good here), teach senseless conformity, how to cope with hopelessly awkward social situations and get what is probably their first introduction to antisocial and even semi-psychotic behavior on the part of their peers, how to cope with equally incompetent figures of authority, instill senses of hopelessness and dread for the future and thus toughen them up as what are to be the more successful ones in life find ways to avoid falling into that trap, dumb down what should be the brighter and more motivated students because one's goals should never be higher than "just average" (no one in life likes a wiseguy or someone who thinks they know everything anyway), and to provide a barely edible lunch. Absolutely no difference between my public school experiences and the ones our sims' kids are supposed to be having.

Do I really need to bring out the Pink Floyd video again? >:):p
    ("We don't need no education...")

Okay, but seriously. This is all why so many of us use the NRaas Careers mod with its School and Tones add-on modules. Public schools will at least offer some semblance of proper skill building during school hours once regular homework is done and in addition to the afterschool clubs (if one has Generations), while the private schools that convene at rabbitholes already in most of our worlds do an even better job for those who get to go to those - they are free of private school fees in many of my worlds, paid for by the town's taxpayers. And also why so many players embrace the open school concept that Zerbu's mod brings to the table. A better developed younger generation provides not only some great opportunities for our own sims' kids, but can only serve to make the inactives around them more rounded and interesting to be around as they get older. While homeschooling and having the kids build their skills of our own choosing as we command them to are great options, unless one is playing the entire town in rotations the other kids around ours may well be diligent about doing their homework but they are not really going to develop well on their own. And that can make for some pretty boring next generations to be around as time passes.

Without mods, well there are fewer choices. And yes, removing all of the schools so that no one has to put up with being locked up in a rabbithole for a huge portion of the day accomplishing just about nothing is indeed one of those still available to try. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Speaking as a Generation-less player (have the expansion, don't care for some of the forced features), the education system is downright un-educational for my Simmies and no where near good enough for me to use it as-is! I also don't have NRaas' Career mod for home schooling or specialty schooling in play in my worlds. Conformity, in my worlds, takes the form of school uniforms for all school-aged kids (different uniforms by worlds) so I can easily spot the occasional ditcher on sight, that's all. Also, don't use Zerbu's mod which does at least offer Sims access to objects which may advance their skills.

I choose to use a method of educating my Sims which not only allows for skills to be built based on the Sims 'personal' interest but also allows for social relationships to be forged, formed and maintained. After all, what good does it do to force a young Sim to build a skill they aren't at all interested in simply because they have a trait assigned to them which says they 'should' be interested in it??

The students of my worlds autonomously seek out their teachers and enjoy spending time with them. They are 100% self-motivated for their own betterment by their own 'choice' without the push of the ambitious trait to 'learn something new'. Some of the teachers I have will purposely stay on school grounds at the end of their work day because students will 'autonomously' return to engage with them (after being initially sent home by the game's mechanics). This is all without intervention by me or the NRaas mods I have installed (although on some days I do have to use the 'Go Home' command provided by NRaas to end their sessions). This behavior doesn't apply to all Sim-students as there are those who are more interested in mischief making than skill building; which is also their choice.

Teachers also engaged with their students autonomously. I often see them on the weekends in community lots with their students, engaging them in games of chess, painting together (side by side while having conversations) and other activities or simply just talking with them. Unless there is something more pressing going on in their personal lives, they are always available to help the younger generation rise.

In my opinion (and, yes of course I am going to be fully bias) this hands on approach to 'educating' my Sims by allowing them to fully use the capabilities they were created with to the fullest of their desires, is much better than any of the structured forms of advancing them. For me, not only are my efforts rewarded by having interesting Sims to watch over, but an overall better social structure for my entire town. It also allows me to place Sims (when they age to YA) in other worlds when the world they are a part of no longer (or never) fit them. I do play the entire town, but not in rotation, I do it from a single household through interaction and have many Sim success stories to show and share.
    I guess we all play different and that is what Sims are all about. I have never played with Mods or CC. I have always deleted schools in my worlds that I play, to me it has not done any harm to any of my sims. I find that my sims kids do what they enjoy the most. I do not make them paint, all of a sudden I see them painting, or fishing, reading and other things. Some like to play chess and some don't. When they grow into a young adult, I see many skills that they have accomplished. Also my sims do not have careers, they earn money by gardening, fishing, writing, paint, computers, collecting, In 15 years only one of my sims worked, I had adopted him as a child, somehow I just let him be a detective. He is the only one. Also my sims never move out of the house. The most in the house is Mother, Father and 1 child. When the son marries, there is Mother, Father son and wife, when they have a baby it is then Grandmother, Grandfather, Mother, Father and child. Now after the grand parents die, It is back to Mother Father and child. There is never more then 5 sims in the house. I love it this way, As my family just keeps growing and new. Now I do move them sometimes to a different house, or world.

I find no need to send my sim kids to school, It does nothing but keep them away and I cannot play with them or let them do things. As far as relationships, in fact they develop more relationships when not in school, as I send them to the park or places and other kids are there and they find best friends and even someone they will marry. They talk on the phone and visit with one another. I enjoy having them home, they wash the dishes, take out trash, and other things too. They go to the library also and read. Like I said we all play different and the best way to play is the way you have the most fun. Some simmers never have kids at all and they like it that way. I play the way I enjoy the most.
    edited August 2019
    Evalen wrote: »
    I guess we all play different and that is what Sims are all about.
    Evalen wrote: »
    I play the way I enjoy the most.
    Exactly that (er...these) and once again I wish I could give you more than one Awesome reaction at a time.

It should be noted that the lecture I gave above about the evils of public schooling generally does not reflect how I really feel. Well, maybe a little but certainly not to that extreme. That was just me having fun by "going off the deep end" as I love to do here. :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @igazor That was just me having fun by "going off the deep end" as I love to do here

That made me laugh, Have fun @igazor with your sims and online.
    @igazor - I knew your opening school response wasn't a serious one. Just wanted to add an additional play style option to the mix for those who may not use mods and provide a bit of a sneak-peek at the results I get by choosing not to alter this portion of the game.

@Evalen - I agree and certainly hope everyone who plays this game plays in a way that they find most enjoyable for themselves otherwise what's the point?? I'm certain many Simmers would be driven absolutely bonkers by my play style. I hope me talking about how I play with my Sims in a school/family situation didn't offend you in any way. It's hard to tell sometimes how some things come across in the reading.
    mw1525 wrote: »
    @igazor - I knew your opening school response wasn't a serious one. Just wanted to add an additional play style option to the mix for those who may not use mods and provide a bit of a sneak-peek at the results I get by choosing not to alter this portion of the game.

@Evalen - I agree and certainly hope everyone who plays this game plays in a way that they find most enjoyable for themselves otherwise what's the point?? I'm certain many Simmers would be driven absolutely bonkers by my play style. I hope me talking about how I play with my Sims in a school/family situation didn't offend you in any way. It's hard to tell sometimes how some things come across in the reading.

@mw1525 You have not offended me in any way, believe me when I say it would take more then that to offend me. We all play different and like you say it would drive other bonkers by your play style, That is why Sims is so awesome, as it can be played in many ways. So we all play different and we all have fun doing so. It would not be fun if we were all made to play the same. It's about the sims and having fun, not about playing or trying to play the way others do. It is nice that others play different and sometimes its a chance to try something different that they never thought of. Have fun with your sims no matter how you play. It is an amazing game that has kept my interest for 15 years.