October 11 - It's Friday, and that means Friday Highlight is here! Check it out!
October 10 - A new The Sims 4 update is ready for you on Xbox One and PlayStation 4! Details here
October 3 - Patch day for The Sims 4 on PC/Mac! Find the details here.
Playing on macOS Lion (10.7)? Please, read this before updating your game.

Leave YouTubers out of our trailers please

Comments

  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 237 Member
    I didn’t know who he was, either. And I don’t feel one bit lame for that fact. Fame isn’t like it used to be. People can easily live in their own bubbles and echo chambers. Lots of you probably aren’t familiar with who I follow and that’s ok.
    Most youtubers are way too cheerful for my taste and embellish their looks too much. I’d love to see some people who aren’t afraid to be real up there. Maybe some that don’t constantly yell “YAASSS QUEEN” 🙄 (it’s getting old).
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited August 7
    Also, Imma just leave this here...dating back to the first Sims game. Real people in ads have just been a thing in advertisement for these games.


    Also the Sims 2 (Derp no idea why the video shows small here :# )

    5vJrxmT.png
  • RouenpucelleRouenpucelle Posts: 956 Member
    edited August 7
    Thank you for posting these advertisements! I found them very interesting because I had never seen them before. I also found it interesting to see how differently the Sims 1 was marketed from the Sims 2. The ad for the Moschino stuff pack really isn't all that different from the ad for the Sims 2, in target audience and tone. I am one who prefers no people in my ads, but EA's decision makes sense in context.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 2,683 Member
    Even though I think they could have used less of the footage of real people in the trailer I have to ask, what does it matter if it's a youtuber or a model? This pack is literally a push to sell you not only a sims product but Moschino clothes as well. Also just a general reminder for everyone, teenagers are typically the demographic for many entertainment products. They have the most disposable cash and so of course they want something that will interest them. If that's a youtuber who is popular in that demographic then that's what they're going to do.

    What teens have a disposable income? I am the mother of a teen and really don't know any that have that much cash to waste. My 16 year old also has NEVER heard of this youtuber. Upon looking at the Moschino website, as I directed her to view it, she commented that all the merch looks cheap and ugly. She is in their target demographic.

    Not all teenagers are exactly the same, but that doesn't make what I said untrue. Teens as a general demographic are the target. Just cause your teen doesn't tick all the boxes doesn't make this a misguided ad. Just like not all of us simmers are 100% against this pack. I would never buy the clothes personally but I'll buy the pack and my sims can wear them. My sims wear A LOT of clothes I wouldn't wear.

    Still trying to figure out what teens have a disposable income. Guess it might be the elitists that live on the coasts in the US. Most teens that I see are into hunting, camping, sports, or gaming. See most in hoodies, yoga pants, or sweatpants.

    Loaded language aside, my children had jobs so they would have disposable income to buy that pair of sneakers they wanted.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 1,426 Member
    edited August 7
    A few years ago I was at a birthday party and someone gifted the birthday girl a marshmallow scented shower foam. While I was wondering why a lady in her 30s with a law degree would want to smell like s'mores, I learned this product was from a beauty line of a YT influencer. Apparently this influencer had worked her way up from promoting other brand's products to having a brand of her own. The point of this anecdote is that while I personally have no interest in influencers they are quite important as a once new but now established form of advertising products on social media platforms. Obviously this includes The Sims and will not stop ever (or any time soon). They are a fact of (online) life that cannot be ignored.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required

    we all try ...
  • storyystoryy Posts: 343 Member
    edited August 7
    I expect a barbie crossover next.
    Okay real talk though that'd be awesome... Like I'd be thrilled to have a Barbie themed SP lol

    Edited to stay on topic: I have always kind of enjoyed the fusion of real people and Sims. Like all the promotional footage for previous games have included Sims interacting in the real world which I think is interesting. Besides, to me, I don't think of the commercials/trailers when I have the game and play it. Trailers don't even really have an impact on whether or not I buy something; So it's okay to me that there's real people in this trailer. Unless it's an issue with a specific person because they are a not so good person, I'm fine!
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,274 Member
    According to one of the former CM’s the target audience is teenage girls with rich parents, hence the collaboration.

    Just in my opinion, that's a terrible demographic to go after with The Sims haha It's a life simulation game and narrowing it down specifically teenage girls with rich parents sounds absolutely ridiculous.

    I completely agree. But it was either Kate or Drake that made the statement on twitter a few months ago. Target audience is teen girls on instagram, not a teen that is on the forums or reddit- a teen with rich parents who could buy Moschino.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 4,706 Member
    I feel old. I remember those adverts. :o
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 406 Member
    lol, now it's "our" trailers...seriously :D
    ...Take The Bunny And Run...
  • doedeardoedear Posts: 263 Member
    Hestia wrote: »
    doedear wrote: »
    Hestia wrote: »
    @doedear Tacky - from the look of the clothes. SJW agenda, with the amount of “activist” or “human rights” promoted through this game. There are platforms for that. I don’t see it fitting to have political things be in The Sims.

    1. tacky clothes have nothing to do with politics 2. the sims has always been progressive since its inception, sorry if you don't like it.

    I referred tacky in relevance to the involvement of the Youtuber. Not politics.

    “Progressive”, sure. Shoving down people’s throats about SJW related things - eg. the recent Play with Life trailer and many other aspects... how about keep that outside of the game.

    well if you don't like it you can always just drop the game :)
  • sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,276 Member
    RavenSpit wrote: »
    lol, now it's "our" trailers...seriously :D

    Yes, I stated I'd change it because I didn't think people would get so up in arms and I wasn't exactly picking the correct phrasing when I typed it. I didn't mean to indicate that this game was for me and me alone but I should have known better posting on a forum like this where no one can express their opinion without being ripped to shreds.

    So yes seriously.
  • GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 787 Member
    I was like "is this the sims" when I just started watching the trailer, I thought I was watchjng the wrong thing. Maybe it's because there's not much in the pack, and they had to extend the trailer by using real people :neutral:
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

    Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

    Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 1,687 Member
    I was like "is this the sims" when I just started watching the trailer, I thought I was watchjng the wrong thing. Maybe it's because there's not much in the pack, and they had to extend the trailer by using real people :neutral:

    Or maybe it was part of the deal with Moschino itself?
  • VamprisVampris Posts: 476 Member
    I find it funny how I'm a teenager that watches Youtube all day and I never heard of this guy. But with 9 million subs I wouldn't exactly classify him as a nobody atleast compared to Ariel's sub count when the GF collab was made. So I'm not too bothered

    The only thing I find weird is the Moschino Stuff pack. I looked at the clothes on the website and uh It's the type of stuff me and my friends would snicker at people for wearing, even the stuff that looks decent is ruined by the big MOSCHINO™ slapped onto it. Buncha overpriced garbage
    ŞŴ€€Ŧ ΜØŦĦ€Ř, ŞŴ€€Ŧ ΜØŦĦ€Ř, Ş€ŇĐ ¥ØỮŘ ĆĦƗŁĐ ỮŇŦØ Μ€, ₣ØŘ ŦĦ€ ŞƗŇŞ Ø₣ ŦĦ€ ỮŇŴØŘŦĦ¥ ΜỮŞŦ β€ βΔƤŦƗŽ€Đ ƗŇ ƤŁΔŞΜΔ ΔŇĐ ₣€ΔŘ.
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,143 Member
    I was like "is this the sims" when I just started watching the trailer, I thought I was watchjng the wrong thing. Maybe it's because there's not much in the pack, and they had to extend the trailer by using real people :neutral:

    Or maybe it was part of the deal with Moschino itself?
    I think so too.

    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,640 Member
    edited August 8
    doedear wrote: »
    Hestia wrote: »
    doedear wrote: »
    Hestia wrote: »
    @doedear Tacky - from the look of the clothes. SJW agenda, with the amount of “activist” or “human rights” promoted through this game. There are platforms for that. I don’t see it fitting to have political things be in The Sims.

    1. tacky clothes have nothing to do with politics 2. the sims has always been progressive since its inception, sorry if you don't like it.

    I referred tacky in relevance to the involvement of the Youtuber. Not politics.

    “Progressive”, sure. Shoving down people’s throats about SJW related things - eg. the recent Play with Life trailer and many other aspects... how about keep that outside of the game.

    well if you don't like it you can always just drop the game :)

    This is a public forum. There will always be people with differing opinions. I commented about my distaste on the political agenda the advertisements have for this part of the Sims franchise.

    I could always tell you, “if you don’t like to hear differing opinions, maybe you shouldn’t use any form of social media”, but I’m not that kind of person.

    It doesn’t necessarily make it any better if people like you say “if you don’t like it, then don’t play it”.

    I’m speaking, because I care. I’ve played The Sims ever since the first one came out in 2000 all the way till today.

    If it makes you any happier, a ton of people have already dropped the game because of its lack of content in general.
    OriginID: hestiah23 | Showcase
    jfIpSFy.png
  • PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 3,605 Member
    I agree with you, OP - I was annoyed by the real people in the trailer too. I had no idea they were supposed to be internet-famous, but I would have preferred the trailer without them in any case.
  • doedeardoedear Posts: 263 Member
    Hestia wrote: »
    doedear wrote: »
    Hestia wrote: »
    doedear wrote: »
    Hestia wrote: »
    @doedear Tacky - from the look of the clothes. SJW agenda, with the amount of “activist” or “human rights” promoted through this game. There are platforms for that. I don’t see it fitting to have political things be in The Sims.

    1. tacky clothes have nothing to do with politics 2. the sims has always been progressive since its inception, sorry if you don't like it.

    I referred tacky in relevance to the involvement of the Youtuber. Not politics.

    “Progressive”, sure. Shoving down people’s throats about SJW related things - eg. the recent Play with Life trailer and many other aspects... how about keep that outside of the game.

    well if you don't like it you can always just drop the game :)

    This is a public forum. There will always be people with differing opinions. I commented about my distaste on the political agenda the advertisements have for this part of the Sims franchise.

    I could always tell you, “if you don’t like to hear differing opinions, maybe you shouldn’t use any form of social media”, but I’m not that kind of person.

    It doesn’t necessarily make it any better if people like you say “if you don’t like it, then don’t play it”.

    I’m speaking, because I care. I’ve played The Sims ever since the first one came out in 2000 all the way till today.

    If it makes you any happier, a ton of people have already dropped the game because of its lack of content in general.

    i was merely being facetious hence the smile <3
  • reedwoman814reedwoman814 Posts: 3 New Member
    I was bugged by Joey Graceffa too.. I think I would have been ok with it if it was a youtuber that MAINLY posts Sim's videos and is a real fan.. but Joey isn't a Simmer. If it had been James Turner or Deligracy or any number of avid Simmers, I'd have been fine.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,456 Member
    Does it really make a difference in a trailer about a real clothes line?
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,583 Member
    edited August 14
    I honestly didn't even give this a second thought. I remember when the baby ariel stuff came out and people were outraged and downloading mods to remove it from their game (which kind of confused me because 1. though I still have no idea who she is, her logo is cute and 2. if you don't know who she is you wouldn't even know what the logo is for)

    I'm gonna be honest, I don't mean to be dismissive of anyone's personal feelings, but I can't help but feel like this is all a bit dramatic. In this day and age, these influencer types are a huge force behind marketing in practically any industry. I don't mean to come across as though I'm telling you to "get with the program" but if you want the game to do well (which could translate to a better game in the future,) then they can't ignore that kind of marketing.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 579 Member
    I can well understand how the guy isn't very well known by many here on the forum. Despite being on one of the most popular websites on the internet (youtube), and, while living on a planet with more than 7 billion people, he still only manages to have just 9 million subs.

    I spend much of my time on youtube researching countless games, music, and just watching videos in general, and I have no idea who he is either.

    But regardless, EA considers him a marketing tool despite him being connected to less than 1% of the world's population. It will likely take a marketing degree to understand that logic.

    If I were to guess, I would say it's likely (what I slangly label as) "ping-pong-politics"..... where "a" promotes "b" so that "b" will achieve a position to promote "a".

    EA mabye sees his 9 million subs as a decent foundation to build on, and later use as a sales tool. By adding him to their marketing stragety they create an opportunity to increase his popularity for later use. Those of you who have never heard of him before (myself included), now have. And THAT is probably the marketing stragety.... to increase his sub base for later use. I for one won't be adding my name to his member's list, but many may have already clicked that sub button.
  • muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 579 Member
    edited August 14
    Right now, i'm on the fence.

    I decided a couple years ago that I was going to build the Sims 4 in full. Which meant buying every single pack that came out. So far, I have every pack except "island living", and the "moschino" stuff pack.

    I plan to buy the Island Living pack once it goes on a good sale, despite my not being all that impressed with what i've seen about it so far on youtube. But, this new stuff pack.... wow.... I really don't want to pay money for that. Even if its just a stuff pack price tag.

    Personally, I can't see the logic of a company, who's product is much too expensive for the majority, using a gaming platform to advertise it's brand. Are we really the best audience to target? Many of us can't afford the sims' EP packs unless they are on sale, but someone somewhere decided we are the best audience to advertise $500 skirts.

    There's already a U.S. argument about the rich and elite being 1% of the U.S. population. Considering the price tags on the Moschino website, I think maybe Moschino should just focus on the neighborhoods of that 1% and not waste their marketing time on people struggling financially to keep up with the cost of their favorite video games.

    Maybe some here can afford the Moschino line, I don't know. All I can say is... I can't afford to buy Island Living yet.

    Just saying.

    (I can afford Walmart. Can we get a Walmart stuff pack? lol.)
  • WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 414 Member
    muzickmage wrote: »
    Personally, I can't see the logic of a company, who's product is much too expensive for the majority, using a gaming platform to advertise it's brand. Are we really the best audience to target? Many of us can't afford the sims' EP packs unless they are on sale, but someone somewhere decided we are the best audience to advertise $500 skirts.

    I agree, although I can kind of see the sense in it, given that, being a fashion brand, Moschino would obviously want to target the young and "trendy" and the Sims has (unfortunately...) been advertising itself for a younger audience lately.

    I know of Joey Graceffa (watched a bit of his show on YTRed) and while I wasn't upset by it, I can say it definitely threw me off seeing a regular person (or a celebrity, but, same thing?) being used in a sim trailer, lol. Although I suppose even his appearance in the trailer makes sense, given both companies trying to appeal to a younger demographic. It'd be ideal if everyone could enjoy the game and I guess I'm glad that younger folks are getting into it, but it's also sad feeling like you're aging out of a franchise, like it's trying to "trade-up" and replace you with younger fans, who aren't even as likely to appreciate jokes and references to past titles. All good things come to an end I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • RouenpucelleRouenpucelle Posts: 956 Member
    For those like me who had no clue about this person, here is information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Graceffa

    I assumed he was a famous Simmer, but apparently he's more of a media celebrity who has been on TV and in movies.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top