Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Uni and butlers, how do you do it?

I love sending my sims to University, but the roomies are awful. They leave food in the oven and I have to constantly watch the oven before my sim goes to class so the kitchen don't burn down. Then the appliances end up breaking all the time in the dorms. My sim has to do several day jobs to make enough money to replace the items :D The reason I want a butler is so he/she can fix the broken items and clean the house (maids only clean). My sims loose progress if they fix items or clean (if that is not what they are going to college for)

This is not a complaint, I love the roomies~~~ :D

I remember getting a butler a long time ago, I think I did it wrong though. I just added another bed for the butler.

Do you use butlers? If so, do you place another bed or are you suppose to dismiss one roommate?

Comments

• SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Normally, when you hire a butler you will need to have another bed to assign for them. In my opinion butlers are kinda buggy so I stay clear of em'

When I send my sims off to stay in a dorm, Bonehilda is a must. She keeps up with everything and can be sent away or called upon at any time. Keep in mind she is a boozehound. :star:You need the Supernatural EP for this.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • becks1112becks1112 Posts: 919 Member
    I sometimes hire a maid.
  • stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    Seconding SimplyJen--one of my essential items when going to Uni is a Bonehilda coffin. The others are a Super Sleeper, an all-in-one bath and a Galaxa Space Car. :mrgreen:
  • SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    I don't bother with the jobs board - just collect funds from the Administration building every day - or every other day depending on whether I forget. More than enough to pay for a maid and/or any repairs that are required. Bonehilda is good... but she always disappears on me. Probably down at some bar getting sloshed or running around raking up leaves somewhere in town. Haven't used a butler in forever (makes note to use one soon), but as I recall you have to have a bed for him and if you want him to stick around, you have to befriend him. When I take a sim to Uni, I always convert an area in the dorm as a room for my sim (one of the downstairs living areas) - I'd probably make him his own room too. I usually add all-in-one bathrooms and a washer/dryer for everyone too just because.

As for cooking, I always put in a really good stove, add dishwasher & trash compacter, food processor, microwave, etc. Since my sims usually have at least 3 cooking skill (because I HATE fires lol) On the weekends they can cook a few group meals to tide roomies over so less cooking takes place. If you have the fryer from the store, just put that on the counter. They'll use that incessantly and it doesn't create fires - at least not that I've ever seen.

If you don't have funds for that or don't want to be bothered, remove the stove and put a microwave on the counter and make sure there's a grill outside - just not too close to the house. Problem solved.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Another approach I've used is to put the store bistro set (modded so that it actually works properly) into a dorm, thus giving the dorm residents what is basically an upscale meal plan if they bother to eat during the hours that the in-dorm bistro is staffed. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    igazor wrote: »
    Another approach I've used is to put the store bistro set (modded so that it actually works properly) into a dorm, thus giving the dorm residents what is basically an upscale meal plan if they bother to eat during the hours that the in-dorm bistro is staffed. :)

Wait... I have the Bistro set... you mean you can set up like a sort-of cafeteria? Details, good sir!!
    edited August 2019
    Surreal wrote: »
    igazor wrote: »

Wait... I have the Bistro set... you mean you can set up like a sort-of cafeteria? Details, good sir!!
    Not really a cafeteria although that would be more realistic for most dorms, but sit down service. I placed the chef's oven in the kitchen and the bistro menus on some of the tables in the dining area, thus triggering the staff selections for the chef and waiter (by way of the mod). Only the residents of the dorm and their lot greeted visitors can sit down and order, unfortunately the bistro won't advertise itself to others in Uni World when its objects are placed that way so the customer base is a bit limited.

I can't remember if I went as far as to lock the rest of the dorm roomies out of the kitchen or take the regular stove away, probably not since I would want my own sim to use it after hours if they wanted to, but giving the residents other options does tend to cut down on the number of stove related fires.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    I'm sensing a new Uni visit coming on...

Thanks, @igazor!! Never thought of doing that.
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    CHARLOTTEPRICE!!!!!!!!!

I’ve missed you so much! Sorry, carry on...
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    @SimplyJen Yeah, I thought I was doing it wrong before because my game got buggy. Maybe I won't bother with a butler :( I don't have Supernaturals installed but I may consider it just to get Bonehilda, I only played her one time when it came out and she was never there! LOL.

Thank you for your advice, much appreciated :)
    @becks1112 I usually always hire a maid. They do good cleaning and raking the yard, but they don't repair anything. Guess I will continue this route and just hire someone to repair the broken items :D

edited August 2019
    @starguru I do get the all-in-one bath as soon as my sim makes enough money. I put it in her room and lock the door to everyone else. I don't have ITF installed (I usually play the realistic way as much as possible) but have been known to go back and reinstall stuff as I play, so this is good advice. I might just try it out again because I spend more time at uni with my sims, then in their home world :D

@Surreal I didn't know you could collect money from the Administrative building :o When my celebrity sim got falsely accused, I sent her in every building trying to figure out how to clear her name. Now I just don't have her become a celeb till after she graduates! Never noticed anything that collected money, so will definitely check into that!

When I did get a butler a while back, I gave him the single bed room that is by itself. I removed the two murphy beds in the other room and placed three beds in there to keep the roomies all there.

As for cooking, I am with you there! I always replace the fridge, stove, trash compactor, and dishwasher! Good idea on the fryer, I will have to go download that set right away, I love the fryer!

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated :)
    @igazor Wow, I will definitely check that mod out. I read your explanation to Surreal about how this mod works, and it sounds awesome!

I love playing S2 Uni. They have a cook come in the morning till evening and I always wished S3 Uni was like that!

@ZeeGee Awww, I have missed you too! Hope all is well your way ! *Big hugs for you*
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I used butlers for awhile but regardless of the butler's age they always dropped dead on day 4 of serving my sims. They did have their own bed/bathroom/kitchen even and I saw them eating/showering and all... but grim would appear in my house and bye bye butler. This was mod free lol

I switched back to maids.
    edited August 2019
    I used butlers for awhile but regardless of the butler's age they always dropped dead on day 4 of serving my sims. They did have their own bed/bathroom/kitchen even and I saw them eating/showering and all... but grim would appear in my house and bye bye butler. This was mod free lol

You would think the town would catch on after a while and stop sending Service Sims over to a lot where they never seem to survive the experience, no matter what the causes of death might be. Or word might get around so that getting such an assignment should trigger some kind of quick excuse for just not showing up. Uhm, was there a reason for their untimely passing so consistently?
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @SimAlexandria Wow, I never had my butler die when I played years back. I dislike how they cook for themselves and not the whole household though (not just in uni, but in the worlds) he would cook for a child before school started, or for my sim if asked, but never group meals. Maybe I don't need a butler in my game at all...any more :D

• TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    It's hard to tell in this game how old some of the sims are, at least without using a mod, and I had several butlers that were just a few days away from retirement, even on epic timescale. Some butlers that disappear just aged up to elder. The only butler I had die was one I invited to a party three days after her retirement. I guess she didn't get much out of her pension.
    @Surreal I didn't know you could collect money from the Administrative building :o When my celebrity sim got falsely accused, I sent her in every building trying to figure out how to clear her name. Now I just don't have her become a celeb till after she graduates! Never noticed anything that collected money, so will definitely check into that!

You need City Hall to clear your name - there isn't one at Uni. I'd ask our resident experts how a City Hall might function in a Uni world tho, because I have no idea. There is an option at the Administration Bldg. to apply for student funds or words to that effect. The amount you collect is based on your current grade. If you have a fully green bar, or an A average, you can collect close to $5,000 per day. A full 24 hours has to tick before you can collect again, so note that the time starts to run from when you leave the Admin. Bldg., not from the time you arrived to apply for the funds - or more simply put, the time when you can apply again will be later the next day than it was the first day.

No problem. Good to see you :smile:

• JemkatkJemkatk Posts: 199 Member
    You could get rid of the stove and just get those food materializers from ITF expansion. They can summon their own food, and work on the advanced tech skill. Then you could buy a bonehilda for cleaning.
  • carlystur03carlystur03 Posts: 435 Member
    I personally hate it when the roommates at Uni try to cook something when they aren't Natural Cooks. I do tend to allow them to cook until they start a fire. Once the fire goes out, I don't replace the burned stuff. "You burned it, too bad. Now, you go without regular servings." At least until any of my sims returns to Uni for a new semester.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member

Butlers in my game never showered and hardly did any work around the house. The straw that broke the camel's back was watching the butler leave the lot only to return 3-4 sim weeks later. In that time I couldn't fire them.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    @Turjan Yes, I wish we could tell how old they are without mods! I don't have my sims get romantic with the butlers anymore. Last time I did, they ended up eloping (private wedding?) and right after exchanging rings, he jumped up and spun around.......and became an elder. No more romancing butlers for me :D

I never had a butler die in my game :D

Thanks for your input, much appreciated (and a reminder to not get involved with butlers) :)
    edited August 2019
    @Surreal Yeah, no City Hall there. Not making them celebs solves that problem, LOL. I have my sim sitting and waiting and ready to go to Uni, so I will definitely go and apply for funds and see what she can collect. Sounds like it would be better than the day jobs :D

Thanks so much, funny how you learn something new even after playing for years ;)