Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A "The Sims" Movie was just scrapped by Disney at Fox Films

AndremiAndremi Posts: 71 Member
Disney recently scapped all movies in development at Fox Films, except a few.

On the list of scrapped movies, one title stood out to me:

"The Sims"

For now, that's all the info there is on this movie. While some of the movies on this LONG list probably will "survive"-
it is unknown for now if this one will. How do you think a The Sims movie would work?
( A Sims movie was confirmed in 2007 - so this might be that very same movie)
Post edited by Andremi on

Comments

• filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I imagine it would star all the iconic Sims characters and feature iconic Sims destinations. Would be really interesting if it was also in Simlish with subtitles appearing in their thought bubbles. Or perhaps something completely different like a live action film based around the idea of someone creating a mind controlling device, that device having the acronym PLuM B08 that stood for something ridiculous. Who knows?
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited August 2019
    Oh thank god, the movie would probably be.....actually, not probably, it WOULD be trash. A video game movie by 20th Century Fox? Of all the movies Disney just robbed us of, they SAVED us from this disaster.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    It would probably be some mess for kids like Angry Birds or the LEGO Movies.

Nothing I’d want to see
  • AndremiAndremi Posts: 71 Member
    Oh thank god, the movie would probably be.....actually, not probably, it WOULD be trash. A video game movie by 20th Century Fox? Of all the movies Disney just robbed us of, they SAVED us from this disaster.

I honestly can't really imagine what it would be about, honestly. It would probably be something super generic like "human hero gets teleported into videogame". Or something like the Emoji Movie or Wreck-it-Ralph.
    There are lots of stories to tell from the games even, but I don't see any of them doing well as a movie? :(

Like I love the Goths! But I probably wouldn't want to watch a The Sims movie about them.
    I also can't imagine they'd actually make the movie for hardcore The Sims fans only, so the story would probably end up being easy to take in for non-fans as well. And I just can't imagine that being interesting.
  • AndremiAndremi Posts: 71 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    I imagine it would star all the iconic Sims characters and feature iconic Sims destinations. Would be really interesting if it was also in Simlish with subtitles appearing in their thought bubbles. Or perhaps something completely different like a live action film based around the idea of someone creating a mind controlling device, that device having the acronym PLuM B08 that stood for something ridiculous. Who knows?

The idea of simlish with subtitles is really cute honestly :')
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,935 Member
    in a way sims movie about original sims families would be cool but on other hand please no

live action?

no. just. no. i dont want them to cast someone i hate for bella and get her ruined. lets just not.

animation?

great until you realize that it'd just ruin all the conspiracy theories and fun of coming up with the story yourself and would probably not be weird enough since
    "animations are for kids"
    but i mean.. we got strangetown...
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    It never sounded like a good idea to me, anyhow.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Probably scrapped it because someone kept stealing their food! Or interrupting their brainstorming just for a hug.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    edited August 2019
    Considering how long Vampires can live...

...or un-live, or whatever it is they actually do...

...could it be Blood Scholar Vladimir, from The Sims Medieval?
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,456 Member
    Oh, you mean it wasn't scrapped years ago? I know sometimes movies can do a 'wrap' and yet it still takes months, after editing, before it's released. It's a long process to be sure. But five years suggests to me somebody bought the rights just to sit on it. That happens, too. Binds the hands of those who presented the idea from taking it anywhere else.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,456 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    in a way sims movie about original sims families would be cool but on other hand please no

live action?

no. just. no. i dont want them to cast someone i hate for bella and get her ruined. lets just not.

animation?

great until you realize that it'd just ruin all the conspiracy theories and fun of coming up with the story yourself and would probably not be weird enough since
    "animations are for kids"
    but i mean.. we got strangetown...

Actually, I think a live action would be very, very funny, indeed. Can you imagine people in 'real life' acting the way our Sims do? Of course, you'd have to have a great script and the cast would have to play it straight, as in not hamming it up, but taking the role seriously in order for it to work. Let the antics tell the story. It could be hysterically funny. But, on second thought, then the Theatre/producers/writers/ et al might be on the hook should a moviegoer die from becoming Hysterical.

Oh, what my poor, tired brain thinks up when I haven't had adequate sleep in days …
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Did I just trip and fall back into 2004? I swear I heard something about a Sims movie back in the early 00s.
  • kittymeowkittymeow Posts: 7,338 Member
    A movie about the whole mystery of bella goth would be interesting!
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    I remember talk about a sims movie back in the day.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • BooV7227BooV7227 Posts: 282 Member
    edited August 2019
    To me, a The Sims: The Movie seems like it would have to have actors along the lines of Jim Carey's style, or the SNL cast to make it work.

Sims are all nuts, stopping mid-sentence to do push ups on your front lawn, having aspiration failure and seeing invisible bunnies and doctors, doing experiments on nervous subjects...

A game from their point of view could be funny if it were done carefully.
    But I don't trust Fox or Disney to do them justice. It'll end up being some Disney Channel / Kids Bop monstrosity instead of an homage to the game we love.
    tCTe03l.png
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Unless you go full dystopian with a mysterious God figure controlling the protagonists' entire life, and them trying to decide if they're benevolent or malevolent, there's no way to make a good storyline for a sandbox game.

It's a sandbox game. There's no plot.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    I would like the idea of a Sims horror movie...little pixel people climbing out of the computer. Would scare the bejesus outta me, lol. :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited August 2019
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    It would probably be some mess for kids like Angry Birds or the LEGO Movies.

Nothing I’d want to see

The Lego movies are actually pretty good. Way better than they have any right to be. I'd argue they do the sentient toy plot better than Toy Story. (Though I was never a big Toy Story fan in the first place.) EDIT: By "Lego" movies, I mean the main two. Not the Batman one or the Ninjago one or whatever else they came out with.)

Angry Birds...meh.

(My kids are right at the age where I'm going to end up seeing most kids' movies whether I want to or not.)
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    Everybody would be freaking out trying to find the pause button to fix the outfits.
  • LquinnLquinn Posts: 385 Member
    All I have to say is "boobasnot Disney"
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,179 Member
    I remember talk about a sims movie back in the day.

It was 2007 ish.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    This is where I want to link to "The Sims Horror Movie" by CollegeHumor. It's short, it's funny, and it gets all the quirkiness of the game (though it was made circa Sims 2)!

I can't imagine watching a full-length Sims movie. I also can't imagine anyone doing justice to the series, considering how much fans bicker about the game itself. I'd rather have no movie at all than have what happened to Jem and the Holograms. Do right by my fandom or leave it alone! *sobs quietly in 80s kid*
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,427 Member
    happyopi wrote: »
    Unless you go full dystopian with a mysterious God figure controlling the protagonists' entire life, and them trying to decide if they're benevolent or malevolent, there's no way to make a good storyline for a sandbox game.

It's a sandbox game. There's no plot.
    This is basically it. The cancellation was probably for the better.
  • VanPelt81VanPelt81 Posts: 2,990 Member
    Andremi wrote: »
    filipomel wrote: »

The idea of simlish with subtitles is really cute honestly :')

Depends on how they implement this. If it's a series of dark gallows humor shorts that include many sims dying in the pool, pregnant males, mimes crashing birthday parties, and other twisted elements that have been parts of The Sims over the years (and it's done just right), it could be at the very least So Bad It's Good.

At the very least a soundtrack of artists doing songs in simlish would be worth it even if the film was a "Star Wars Holiday Special" level abomination to humanity.