Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The grand sequel to: "The first one to page 100 wins!"

Comments

• KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    edited August 2019
    ChocoCub wrote: »

You solve brackets first, so you can remove them. Tha leaves you with
    8÷2×4
    You need to solve the division first because it comes first, so you get 4×4=16

lol that's why in maths they use "/" to indicate a division so there's no room for ambiguity. Either 8/(2(2+2)) = 1 or (8/2)*(2+2) = 16
    It's the poor formulation with the "÷" that leads to different modes of interpretation. It's the creator of this question begging for trouble 🙃

It's not ambiguous though. You need to do the division first either way

It is. There are multiple ways of reading "a÷bc". Is this a/(bc) = a(bc)^-1 or (a/b)c = ac/b = (ac)b^-1 and in order to prevent ambiguity like this in a simple equation shown above, one should always include brackets to let people precisely know which is the denominator. "Always add parentheses to delineate compound denominator". That's also exactly how Excel works out its equation.

This expression is therefore wrong. It cannot be solved using the normal order of operation and has to corrected first.

https://math.berkeley.edu/~gbergman/misc/numbers/ord_ops.html
    Post edited by Kelvin on
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
  • gameplay9098gameplay9098 Posts: 7,895 Member
    edited August 2019

8÷2×4

lol that's why in maths they use "/" to indicate a division so there's no room for ambiguity. Either 8/(2(2+2)) = 1 or (8/2)*(2+2) = 16
    It's the poor formulation with the "÷" that leads to different modes of interpretation. It's the creator of this question begging for trouble 🙃

It's not ambiguous though. You need to do the division first either way

It is. There are multiple ways of reading "a÷bc". Is this a/(bc) = a(bc)^-1 or (a/b)c = ac/b = (ac)b^-1 and in order to prevent ambiguity like this in a simple equation shown above, one should always include brackets to let people precisely know which is the denominator. "Always add parentheses to delineate compound denominator". That's also exactly how Excel works out its equation.

This expression is therefore wrong. It cannot be solved using the normal order of operation and has to corrected first.

https://math.berkeley.edu/~gbergman/misc/numbers/ord_ops.html

I solved it on paper just fine, i got 16 doing both 8÷2 and 8/2 :/

Edit: I showed the image to my math teacher and she confirmed it: 16.
    Post edited by gameplay9098 on
    TS4_x64_2019-06-08_14-58-15_copy.png?width=400&height=203
    Everywhere i go
    I feel the hearts beating
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,584 Member
    edited August 2019
    DeKay wrote: »
    b0c96229b85541b62104da09089fce7b3866a4bc.jpg

I got 1 and I haven't done math in don't know how many years. How do you even get 16...? XD

You do the bracket first and you get 1... right? I got 1 too :joy:

I read the comments and some people did it like (8/2) x (2+2).

Distribution is multiplication, and the order for division vs. Multiplication is whichever comes first (division in this case) so you solve the () while you divide 8 by 2 and you get
    4×4=16

I agree with Dekay. Obviously you solve for the ones in the bracket and you get 4. Then what you need to do is to multiply it immediately by the 2 right in front of the bracket, which gives you 8. Then you move the way outwards and solve 8 over 8 which gives 1.

Essentially 8/(2(2+2)) and if it’s sixteen it would be 8/2 multiplied by (2+2)

8÷2×4

Wait, then how do you do stuff like simultaneous equations like this? You will be wrong if you don't multiply the 2 with the four first. If you write it in fraction, it will be clear you have to divide the 8 by whatever that comes after the division sign. XD

I don't know what they all teach at your school. But over here if they write the question like this and you say 16, you will get a big fat cross in your paper cuz they did it to trick you. 💁‍♀️And they will be like, "got 'em!". 😂

I'm also seeing a lot of the PEMDAS thing going around. Yeah, we don't learn that here. 😂 All we know is do the multiplication/division before addition/subtraction.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif

I got 1 and I haven't done math in don't know how many years. How do you even get 16...? XD

Distribution is multiplication, and the order for division vs. Multiplication is whichever comes first (division in this case) so you solve the () while you divide 8 by 2 and you get
    4×4=16

I agree with Dekay. Obviously you solve for the ones in the bracket and you get 4. Then what you need to do is to multiply it immediately by the 2 right in front of the bracket, which gives you 8. Then you move the way outwards and solve 8 over 8 which gives 1.

8÷2×4

Wait, then how do you do stuff like simultaneous equations like this? You will be wrong if you don't multiply the 2 with the four first. If you write it in fraction, it will be clear you have to divide the 8 by whatever that comes after the division sign. XD

I don't know what they all teach at your school. But over here if they write the question like this and you say 16, you will get a big fat cross in your paper cuz they did it to trick you. 💁‍♀️And they will be like, "got 'em!". 😂

I'm also seeing a lot of the PEMDAS thing going around. Yeah, we don't learn that here. 😂 All we know is do the multiplication/division before addition/subtraction.

Distribution is just a form a multiplication. Math is universal, and my teacher doesn't work at my school.
    Soon as you solve the brackets, which you have to do first, you can remove them.
    You get 8÷2×4. And between division and multiplication, you need to do whichever comes first. In this case, division.
    Everywhere i go
    edited August 2019

4×4=16

8÷2×4

Distribution is just a form a multiplication. Math is universal, and my teacher doesn't work at my school.
    Soon as you solve the brackets, which you have to do first, you can remove them.
    You get 8÷2×4. And between division and multiplication, you need to do whichever comes first. In this case, division.

Clearly this thing doesn't prove that math is universal, but I guess it's also how the problem is written out. Other people may interpret it differently. Like how some countries spell "color" but some "colour".

But, we don't learn it like this. We don't remove the bracket after doing what's inside it. We multiply straightaway with the number or item next to the bracket. I get where you're coming from but over here, we write it as a fraction straight away.

So what you're seeing here is to be written as 8 over 2(4). 🤷‍♀️ That's how we do it.

Now, we can argue all day about this but I'm just saying here in Singapore, we do it how Choco and I do it.

If the question was 8÷2x4, then, yes it's 16. But how I read the question and how we learn to solve an equation like that is like this: 8÷[2(4)]. Makes sense? XD
    832XG3D.gif
  • LyricSimsz15LyricSimsz15 Posts: 13,136 Member
    Anyone want a spine, mine's hurting me

honestly anyone want some bones in general, mine just hate me :(
    pN7cZBV.gif
    Just vibing...
    Check out my stories The Diversity Club and Lost Pride here on the forums!
    edited August 2019

That's what you get for swimming.
    832XG3D.gif

theyve been this way for months
    pN7cZBV.gif
    Just vibing...

theyve been this way for months

That's what you get for not going out much. 😂
    832XG3D.gif
    edited August 2019

4×4=16

8÷2×4

Clearly this thing doesn't prove that math is universal, but I guess it's also how the problem is written out. Other people may interpret it differently. Like how some countries spell "color" but some "colour".

But, we don't learn it like this. We don't remove the bracket after doing what's inside it. We multiply straightaway with the number or item next to the bracket. I get where you're coming from but over here, we write it as a fraction straight away.

So what you're seeing here is to be written as 8 over 2(4). 🤷‍♀️ That's how we do it.

Now, we can argue all day about this but I'm just saying here in Singapore, we do it how Choco and I do it.

If the question was 8÷2x4, then, yes it's 16. But how I read the question and how we learn to solve an equation like that is like this: 8÷[2(4)]. Makes sense? XD

Yeah i didn't mean to turn this into an argument, i just get a little too excited when it comes to Maths and Physics XD

I'm having issues walking because my leg is so twisted it looks broken 😖
    Everywhere i go

4×4=16

8÷2×4

Yeah i didn't mean to turn this into an argument, i just get a little too excited when it comes to Maths and Physics XD

Nah, it's fine. You know what's funny? Is that I would get '16' if the way they wrote the question as: 8 ÷ 2 x (2+2). LOL. But either way, in exams, we rarely get questions like this where it's like a+b/3-5x2/4, where it's like a while string of nonsense.
    832XG3D.gif

4×4=16

8÷2×4

Nah, it's fine. You know what's funny? Is that I would get '16' if the way they wrote the question as: 8 ÷ 2 x (2+2). LOL. But either way, in exams, we rarely get questions like this where it's like a+b/3-5x2/4, where it's like a while string of nonsense.

We're starting to get those in tests because they're making us take "Elementary Maths" And it's just a bunch of nonsense stuff we'd do in 5th grade. Like, a mutant 5th grade
    Everywhere i go
  • ZinniavanillaZinniavanilla Posts: 11,872 Member
    I've never actually made buttercream flowers. I'm trying it for the first time tonight for my moms birthday. The... heat is pretty unfortunate, it makes it hard to pipe.
    unknown.png
    Today's Q Q is:

Have you ever snuck out of your house?

Nope.

I've never actually made buttercream flowers. I'm trying it for the first time tonight for my moms birthday. The... heat is pretty unfortunate, it makes it hard to pipe.

I understand that struggle.
    832XG3D.gif
  • bellagorillabellagorilla Posts: 6,891 Member
    Today's Q Q is:

Nope.

Nope.
    7dW3gu7.gif
    Most likely caught as scum and best theme-Google Translate, 4th annual Scummies win!
  • squirrelwithacupsquirrelwithacup Posts: 10,475 Member
    Today's Q Q is:

Nope.

Nope. And I've never had a reason to. :joy:
    37oYgl3.png
    Nightshade: A Simlit || Blogspot || Forum Thread
    See exclusive content and stay updated about Nightshade on my Instagram page!
  • ZinniavanillaZinniavanilla Posts: 11,872 Member
    Today's Q Q is:

Nope.

No.
    unknown.png
    all i want rn is to make the protagonists of the show/fandom i'm obsessed with as sims but
    why do actors
    have such hard faces to replicate in sims :c
    pN7cZBV.gif
    Just vibing...
  • squirrelwithacupsquirrelwithacup Posts: 10,475 Member
    all i want rn is to make the protagonists of the show/fandom i'm obsessed with as sims but
    why do actors

Ooh what show/fandom?
    37oYgl3.png
    Nightshade: A Simlit || Blogspot || Forum Thread
    See exclusive content and stay updated about Nightshade on my Instagram page!
    Today's Q Q is:

Nope.

I don't think i could.
    why do actors

Ohhh i can help! I know a bunch about face anatomy, they sure fit in one of the types.
    Everywhere i go
    Whaddup, y'all.
    832XG3D.gif
    Whaddup, y'all.

Olá humano