Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why isn't TS4 inclusive of family players?

Comments

• HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    @Renato10 I couldn’t agree more. Aside from that, the family tree system didn’t exist and... well... siblings can flirt with each other... with their parents, etc.

The Sims 4 was intended as an always-online game with young adult Sims. I saw the pattern that they quickly scrapped that idea when SimCity 2013 failed (I played that too). Next thing you know, some guy leaked info that TS4 was called “Project Olympus”. You can find some info about it on Google.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Renato10 wrote: »
    Hestia wrote: »
    Anmirla wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    ETA - In real time Sims 4 is supposed to be almost 50 years after Sims 2 - not the same Sims 15 years later. Sims 3 was Sims 2 sim 25 years later.

If TS4 is about 50 years after TS2, then The Goths should be the descendants and not the family unit prior to Bella's "disappearance". Also, isn't Malcolm Landgraab (a teen), the Malcolm Landgraab who is an adult in TS2 from Bluewater Village? I don't play premades in TS4 so I don't know where all of them are falling in line with one another, but that timeline doesn't sync with at least some of the premade families.

It’s been confirmed that the default new game of The Sims 4 is in an alternate timeline to The Sims 1/2/3.

That sounds like an easy excuse for the result of a rushed game honestly.

It wasn't really a confirmation. SimGuruSarah said it as an off the cuff remark as she explained they couldn't remember the story lines by this time anyway.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    ETA - In real time Sims 4 is supposed to be almost 50 years after Sims 2 - not the same Sims 15 years later. Sims 3 was Sims 2 sim 25 years later.

If TS4 is about 50 years after TS2, then The Goths should be the descendants and not the family unit prior to Bella's "disappearance". Also, isn't Malcolm Landgraab (a teen), the Malcolm Landgraab who is an adult in TS2 from Bluewater Village? I don't play premades in TS4 so I don't know where all of them are falling in line with one another, but that timeline doesn't sync with at least some of the premade families.

It’s been confirmed that the default new game of The Sims 4 is in an alternate timeline to The Sims 1/2/3.

It wasn't really a confirmation. SimGuruSarah said it as an off the cuff remark as she explained they couldn't remember the story lines by this time anyway.

TS4 is the LAZIEST effort I've ever witnessed. Like they couldn't be bothered to look up their records of past Sims stories? Even if they didn't keep records, they just have to look at fan-made The Sims websites to get the stories. Sheesh!

I also remember someone noting in one of the dev videos that they weren't even familiar with building features as they and a game changer built a lot together, showing me that they don't even play the game they're developing. Also add the fact that they don't seem to quality check any new features to see if it conflicts with past packs, adding more bugs to an every growing pile that still has yet to be fixed. It just tells me the devs don't care at all about this iteration.

For TS5, it should be a requirement that a potential dev candidate loves The Sims series and be an actual and avid simmer. How else can we see innovative gameplay and useful features like we saw in TS1, TS2 and TS3? The TS5 devs need to make sure that all simmers of whatever type of game player are included, including those who prefer to focus on family play and generations (family tree, memories, family scrap book).

I'm not sure that would even work, now. We have people who suppossedly loved The Sims, played one or more of them. Loved them, then find out they think something like linear play was a good pack and good idea. Played them, were big fans of this series, thrilled to be working on it, then decide the game needs new players who have never played and decide to market to players who never heard it nor care about the series or it's strengths.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

“Couldn’t remember the storylines”... the Lore Enthusiast in me died a little. How could they :(
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    @Writin_Reg

What do you mean by "families are very different today"? No families that I know of are such addicts to electronics as the sims in Sims 4 seem to be portrayed. The impression I get is that the devs are so disconnected with the real world and are interjecting the trendy fakeness that they must thrive upon.

I've been to restaurants and seen the entire family with their heads stuck in a phone. I'm often bumped into by people not watching where they're going because they're on their phones. In doctor office waiting rooms, grocery stores, in line at the checkout. Everywhere you go it seems people can't put their phones away.
    Sad but true seen 4 people together at the mall the other day all playing on their phones I feel bad for them maybe they should hang around with people they actually like.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited August 2019
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who realllllllllly really wants more family play. The sims is all about family for me so that's probably my biggest disappointment with the game. I'm young and I'm not into tablets and various social media etc. But I have family who is addicted to it and I miss the close interaction and relationships we had before the technology addiction. Now I have to deal with that in my game too.

Some of the best memories I have Is playing imaginary games/hide and seek/ tag etc with my family.
    Seeping with my parents durning a thunderstorm
    Riding in the shopping cart
    Water gun fights
    Jumping on the bed like crazy with my sister. Etc (could go on and on)
    Now when I see my family they cannot look 5 sec away from their phones or whatever and my sims feel the same. Cold and distant.

Barely any meaningful interactions with the children or between siblings.
    It's the single party life style coupled with modern technology.
    They can add all the universities and occults they want but all I ask is for simple meaningful bonded family play. I'm praying to get it before the sims 4 ends.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(

“Couldn’t remember the storylines”... the Lore Enthusiast in me died a little. How could they :(

It's like when you run into a celeb and tell them the lines they spoke in some movie, lol, and go on and on about their acting and what happened in a scene with their character and how much you loved it, etc. And they don't remember. lol
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who realllllllllly really wants more family play. The sims is all about family for me so that's probably my biggest disappointment with the game. I'm young and I'm not into tablets and various social media etc. But I have family who is addicted to it and I miss the close interaction and relationships we had before the technology addiction. Now I have to deal with that in my game too.

Some of the best memories I have Is playing imaginary games/hide and seek/ tag etc with my family.
    Water gun fights
    Now when I see my family they cannot look 5 sec away from their phones or whatever and my sims feel the same. Cold and distant.

They can add all the universities and occults they want but all I ask is for simple meaningful bonded family play. I'm praying to get it before the sims 4 ends.

Isn't it a question of cancelling that action and getting them to do something else? Works for me. You have to keep a good eye on the left actions and wants actions in this game. If they get on their phone I stop them, simple.
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Posts: 41 Member
    @Simburian Sorry I just want to ask where you got the idea from that South Africa gives free Wi-Fi access to all its citizens? This is a blatant lie as I live here and nobody I know receives free Wi-Fi access. Nor any other form of free internet. Please do refrain from making any comments that is not based on fact.
    Simburian wrote: »

Water gun fights

Isn't it a question of cancelling that action and getting them to do something else? Works for me. You have to keep a good eye on the left actions and wants actions in this game. If they get on their phone I stop them, simple.

It's more so an annoyance. I honestly just dont want so many things revolving around technology in my game. Sure I can cancel it and I always do but I like to play big families like 10 to 11 sims. They all want the computers and video games and every time I canceled it out for one sim another sim jumped on it. It was to the point I deleted all of that stuff only to find out I NEED a computer for ordering and careers and certain things. Now I have it locked up in a room with autonomy off.
    I try to set up family time where everyone sits around and watch a movie eating popcorn. Cell phone calls start coming in. I accidentally clicked yes clicking too fast,ended up at a night club. Haha.
    So yeah it's not a deal breaker but I shouldn't have to feel like I'm fighting with my sims .
    I recently loaded TS3 to just play a family and see how things go since I hadn't played it in about three years. I was suprised to see the Sim kid in the household wasn't hooked on the pc, or a phone or anything to do with TV or laptops. Nor was he interested in sitting around and having conversations with adults and or adult strangers he might meet.

He was busy amusing himself by climbing up on a chair, putting on a little crown and playing like he was a king and barking out orders. There were many other games he could play without ever getting involved with the adults in the household unless it was time to socialize with them. He could check for monsters under his bed, use other furniture to play out little games he invented, and it just showed me (again) how very little work was put into kids in this game. He also had a trait which he could set a lot of traps for his older cousin in the household, or his father, or anyone when they went to sit down and or to the bathroom etc. I wish TS4 would think about the depth of traits and autonomous gameplay that fit a Sim. He got a lot of lectures but his 'pretend' governess I created kept letting him off the hook. lol He was always in trouble though, and he was more fun than the whole of Ts4. Vickie was a good Sim in TS3 so she let him off all on her on. Though if his father had not been at work, his traits would not have let him slide.

As the cousin I put him in after school Scots, but his father decided to take him out since he was so rotten, as punishment.
    That is imagination which I didn't have to streach very far. The gameplay was all there, except the reason he had to quit Scots. All the rest was played out and not much input from me, once his traits were set.

Looking at TS2 we all know TS4 kids can't play those games together, or even use old objects or furniture to amuse themselves like TS2 or TS3.
    It's disappointing after five years TS4 kids are still an after thought.

Family play still doesn't have any inheritance, or pass along any knowledge from seniors or ever write any memoirs, can't even take a family photo together, nor pose at a professional sitting together, can't even put the kid on the bus for the first time nor send off to school for the first time, which is a big deal to any parent, can't even bury the dead, I don't remember but teens don't even have a first date or ask permission to go out, little kids don't even have a curfew (but I never liked curfews) but I must admit it's odd to see a little eight year old at a bar at 2:00 A.M., as one of the townies the game decides to send to fill a roll. Parents don't even come searching for little kids (TS1) after dark, I had my toddlers leave the apartment building and walk down the street below, sleep on a bench, beg strangers for food, and no one in the family came to find him.

I don't know, I can't agree TS4 kids are the best ever. Parents don't even know their kid is crying in a bed.

Reading this literally warmed my heart. THOSE are the moments I crave to find in ts4
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2019
    Simburian wrote: »

Water gun fights

It's more so an annoyance. I honestly just dont want so many things revolving around technology in my game. Sure I can cancel it and I always do but I like to play big families like 10 to 11 sims. They all want the computers and video games and every time I canceled it out for one sim another sim jumped on it. It was to the point I deleted all of that stuff only to find out I NEED a computer for ordering and careers and certain things. Now I have it locked up in a room with autonomy off.
    I try to set up family time where everyone sits around and watch a movie eating popcorn. Cell phone calls start coming in. I accidentally clicked yes clicking too fast,ended up at a night club. Haha.
    So yeah it's not a deal breaker but I shouldn't have to feel like I'm fighting with my sims .
    Indeed, you shouldn't. Sims should be about welcoming spontaneous actions, being pleasantly surprised by them, not constantly having to delete them because they're out of character, repetitive and annoying. It's perfectly understandable it annoys you.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • KLAlexisKLAlexis Posts: 472 Member
    I agree as I am a family player and the family play in the game feels so bland to me. This is the first time Ive felt this way about a sims iteration as this was one of the things that made me love the series so much.
    "The truth hurts, but lies kill"

It's like when you run into a celeb and tell them the lines they spoke in some movie, lol, and go on and on about their acting and what happened in a scene with their character and how much you loved it, etc. And they don't remember. lol

I choked laughing but I also cried inside at the same time. :D
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • KLAlexisKLAlexis Posts: 472 Member

Very good point. I always find it disheartening when a guru doesnt play/know their game like we do or more than we do.
    "The truth hurts, but lies kill"
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited August 2019
    I miss so many things when I play with families!
    The fact that it took years for them to release toddler is really telling already. For some reason their numbers and algorithms tell them players are not interested in family play and life stages that aren't Young Adult.
    But of course if they go by the numbers now they will see that this is actually true, but not because we don't like playing with them but because we don't have much to do with them at all.
    It's like when they said they stopped adding secret lots because people didn't visit them. Maybe if there was something fun to do in them...
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,408 Member
    I completely agree with the need for more family play. The sims is supposed to be a life simulation with all lifestages not a young singles simulation.
    Probably because they only want to appeal to Gen Z teens, which means nothing but social media, selfies, and parties

I totally agree with you. It's sad to me that like 95% of this game is dedicated solely to single, young adult gameplay. Babies-kids and elders have barely anything to do or anything unique to them, and teens are just young adults with a slightly difference face. My only hopes for this game are that we can get a baby update and Generations-type pack to improve on the vastly lacking family play and non-YA life stages.

The latest packs and updates sure follow the gen Z trend. I hope EA will remember all the rest of their fans before they sacrifice all the year long fans in order to be a hype for teens.
    i remember SimGuruGrant tweeting that family-gameplay doesnt really appeal to most players so they decided to release Parenthood as a game pack only. he also refused to update the babies when Lyndsay Pearson asked him to do so. he personally believes there's no immersion in playing with families and that directly affects the output of the game. so that explains it.

it's Grant Rodiek decision why we are left asking for more family interactions.

a family-oriented expansion pack, aka Generations could have been better than Get Famous..

most of us obviously need more family oriented game play, a full expansion pack dedicated to that aspect i supposed. but no, they be releasing full expansion packs like get famous to cater more on rich instagram girls with rich daddies and stuff who are willing to throw their money at EA no matter how bad the pack is.

This is the worst news from the guru's I have read in a long time. Can you link to the tweet of simgurugrant? At least it would explain what I perceive as a big flaw in Island living, namely the fact that sims can't share a boat.

To me family play has enough immersion to loose track of time. All the single sim activities and obsession with electronics and social media on the other hand makes me bored very quickly. To each his own of course, I know there are people who like this. But in general the game should offer a mix of family play and play for singles.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I also want family play more for teens is needed as well as baby stuff and more for elders
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    To be honest I was never really a family player to start with, so it didn't bother me.... Then I started the 100 baby challenge and thought wow, there is literally nothing here for the kids to do that allows them to actually socialize. I mean I know they can play together on the pirate and space ship park items, but what's the point of having a kid who likes the outdoors but can't hunt for worms, or gross family member out with the fish they've just caught? They can't garden so it's a trait with literally nothing for them to do. Sure they can paint on one of those little tables and great, but would it have taken much to allow them a sabotage interaction with easels or something that effects those around them. I know we have mischief interactions but what happened to kicky bag, Tag, cops and robbers? Yes we've had parenthood and the toddler stuff pack, but we are still woefully short on clothing and hair for toddlers and children. Teens got moodswings, great, but they didnt' get anything else, they didnt' get fleshed out properly....and don't get me started on elders. In short it isn't until you start playing families that you realize this is a problem, especially when you can go back through older games and see the differences. I used to skip by topics like this, but now feel I must add my voice to those pleading for more family interactions. There just isn't enough and even with the big tech debate, at some point all of us have to look up from our screens at some point and interact with other people or we'll become like our sims themselves...unable to but smiling creepily at others with a dead, half insane glint in our eye.
    A deviant pack would also be nice. Or a stuff pack, maybe Get Killing?
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited August 2019
    Could be the consequence (at least partially) due when the game planned to be The Sims Olympus. They think (which is possibly true) many wouldn't find interest in playing as children in multiplayer environment.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    edited August 2019
    Could be the consequence (at least partially) due when the game planned to be The Sims Olympus. They think (which is possibly true) many wouldn't find interest in playing as children in multiplayer environment.

@DragonCat159 I mean, maybe that could have had some influence back then when it was first released, but it's been years since the game went from Olympus to what we now have as TS4. They've had 5 years to work on improving the family play in the game and they really haven't. 29 packs released so far and a vast majority ignore the life stages outside of young adult. They continue to make packs and give not an ounce of gameplay to the non-YA life stage and there are so many places where they could give more to toddlers, kids, teens, and elders. That's what bothers me honestly, when they could give the other ages more, but they just don't.

@Bloosmoo I just wanted to say that you made a great point. I feel that a lot of people don't realize how much family play is lacking until they sit down and try it for themselves and see just how little the young ones can do. :/

I mean just look at the images of screenshots from Sims 2 Family Fun Stuff. I'd kill to have some of this stuff in TS4. Kids playing pirate, parent reading kids a book on the floor, playing dress up. I'd love to have it all.
    https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/The_Sims_2:_Family_Fun_Stuff
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited August 2019
    i remember SimGuruGrant tweeting that family-gameplay doesnt really appeal to most players so they decided to release Parenthood as a game pack only. he also refused to update the babies when Lyndsay Pearson asked him to do so. he personally believes there's no immersion in playing with families and that directly affects the output of the game. so that explains it.

it's Grant Rodiek decision why we are left asking for more family interactions.

a family-oriented expansion pack, aka Generations could have been better than Get Famous..

most of us obviously need more family oriented game play, a full expansion pack dedicated to that aspect i supposed. but no, they be releasing full expansion packs like get famous to cater more on rich instagram girls with rich daddies and stuff who are willing to throw their money at EA no matter how bad the pack is.

Please don't spread misinformation. You don't know what Grant personally believes and most of what you wrote sounds like either exaggeration or outright lies.
    The best way to look at what EA is trying to appeal to is to look at the old Sims 4 Sims and the new Sims 4 Sims. It's the lack of diversity in personality. Yeah, the new Sims are diverse on the outside, I mean hell they put three LGBT Sims on the cover now how could it NOT be diverse? Because pure and simple, with the exception of the Chef in the middle, they're all practically the same character. Selfies, Parties, Simstagram BORING! Yeah, the old Sims were at most stereotypes or certain personalities, but at least you can tell that each of those characters have personalities outside of being vapid and shallow.

That's where we're going in the Sims these days. I love Sims 4 but I hate how the game was built up to be a party simulator (and the 'boring' family stuff on the side.)

The irony of that, is that The Sims 1/2/3 had better parties than TS4. One of the main reasons would be that it wasn’t goal based and there were a lot more things to do, together.

My biggest gripe in TS4 was when I set up a wedding party, not a single guest went up to the altar to watch the ceremony. It was infuriating! Even though I called them all over. It never happened.
    wB2Zykl.jpg