Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Looking Forward To the End Of TS4

Comments

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited August 2019

Ok, but better exactly how? Which features from previous games would you keep? If you say you would throw out everything from Sims 4, then you are just griping about Sims 4 - and that is exactly what some of the posters here have done. If you say "Sims 3 was better" then better how? Rabbitholes weren't better in my opinion. Horses were, open world and color wheel was, and scooters/motorbikes were, but rabbitholes weren't. If you say "everything about Sims 3 was better" then you are merely being nostalgic for sims 3.  However, unfortunately, I have the feeling it may not be possible to program a new game for today's computers that has 1) No rabbitholes, 2) No loading screens, 3) Open world, and 4)All the interaction options the current games have had, and 5) Works on more than 5% of the current player base's computers in single-player mode. I hope in the future this changes, but I fear that future is some years away.

Of course there are people are griping about it, some of our complaints have existed since 2014 when it was likely easier to fix some of them. We were polite, detailed, gave multiple examples and still not a lot changed. In some cases when change came it was a case of too little too late for some while other were grateful but still felt more work needed to be done. Personalities and emotions are an example of work I feel that needs to be done while toddlers are something I was grateful for, although I understand why some felt the way they did on the too little too late side.

Even now I see people who've vented and made angry comments take a moment, even apologize in some cases because they're admittedly frustrated with how things are going, then turn around and comment about what would make a good Sims game which sometimes includes things from Sims 4. But quite frankly it feels like it's falling on deaf ears. It gets tiring explaining a problem repeatedly or trying to be optimistic.

I can't think of anyone who loves Sims 3 that will tell you it's absolutely perfect. The best, maybe. It's fixable, sure. It's perfect, no. Not only is nothing perfect but it has issues that were never "officially" fixed and the very group to blame is the same group bringing us The Sims 4. Yet still, against better judgment and because they so far lack a competitor, some of us are still willing to hope the next game will be better. When I say better I want them to have a great game, great sims, great worlds, with even more options and tools to help players live up to what it is they imagine. I don't expect everything the previous games had to be shoved into the next game. That's completely unrealistic, but I'm not going to ask for less than what I think is the best they ever offered us and it doesn't have to be exactly alike but they should at the absolute least aim to come with their best to the table every time and as long as they tried it's good enough for me. But if it's broken, fix it. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

Which features would I keep from the previous games? That ended up being a long answer that I tried to type up all day but life got in the way. Thankfully I was going to make it a spoiler anyway and it's technically a new day now so hopefully it's not a misspelled jumbled mess. It's not so much that I would keep the features but rather improve and implement them in the next game. I feel like all the games had room for improvement. There are things about even my favorite features I think can be better but I don't expect it to be perfect or 100% of what I want.
    I'll start with my personal favorite and the most recent one I played. From Sims 3 I would keep open worlds, CASt, the world editing tools, terrain editing tools, the colorwheel, personality traits, favorites, and CAW.

From Sims 2 I'd keep the detail of the animations and actions, like walking to the car opening the door and getting in before starting it up and backing out. I'd want to keep zodiac signs with the personality points in addition to personality traits. I think improved zodiac signs having influence like they did in Sims 2 with improved personality traits of 3 taking the lead could work well if done right. I'd also keep turn ons and turn offs, interests, hobbies, fears, memories, and hair that moves.

From Sims 4 I'd keep CAS, being able to go in between worlds, the organization of build/buy mode, multitasking, and hats as accessories because I really love that. The calender and the thermostat as well. And there's something else I know I'm forgetting, about all of them actually, but this will do.

I don't vividly remember ever playing Sims 1 so I can't really say what I would keep from that.

In addition to all of that I'd want Seasons and Pets from the start. The snow depth, hail, rain, sleet, fog, wind, sunshine, partly cloudy skies, rain on a sunny day where following the event it changes colors outside. I'd love that. The thermostat to change the temp in house or in each individual room. Horses, dogs, cats, puppies, kittens, foals, birds, turtles, snakes, and more. Being able to create the puppies, kittens and foals in CAS as well. I'd wait and save up money for a base game with those two and even Uni included unless they're willing to take Uni and expand education as a whole with multiple universities, more in depth after school programs and daycare, better schools including elementary, middle and high school (which would be perfect to introduce preteens for middle school age), online schooling and community college (neither of which I'd be surprised about if added to The Sims 4 because it would fit)just to name a few.

I actually don't mind rabbitholes. Some things I just don't care to see but I do think there are things they could've done to make them better which I've posted about before in other threads. It's more realistic to see them go to a physical location to me than to disappear but it's not make or break for me whether it's a rabbit hole or open venue. Also I'm not concerned with whether or not it can run on my computer. I want them to make the best game possible, if it can't run on my computer I'll save up to buy a new one, however long it takes. Even with my plum $200 laptop I never thought I wanted them to tone down The Sims 3 so I could play it. I'd rather they make a console version or something like the Sims Life Stories again than to have the PC game limited by catering to lower end computers, even if I would be disappointed I couldn't play it right away.

I think there should be more options for players. Let me set how many sims I want in a town and how many pets, which life states when we have supernatural beings, what season I start in. I want to be able to have more than 10 Sims per household, let me decide that too. The ability to set the job level, skills, finances and hometown in CAS, to have more relation options in CAS. To be able to create pregnant sims in CAS and select the baby's gender, to create babies in CAS, to have natural hair color and dyed hair colors, hair and facial hair that grows, to choose the fit of clothing (loose, regular, tight).

For life stages to not be neglected like elders and babies, to see a better balance of new ideas and the classics. More build tools like curved walls, more stair shapes, for sims to be able to jump fences and open and climb out windows. The ability to add even more levels to a house or build it up to a huge penthouse apartment, to increase lot sizes. Some form of partial rabbit holes allowing players to be able to either see their sims in work or going about their day doing some activities or to send sims out and not have to follow them. To have the option of being guided but also the option of doing things on my own.

I want story progression where it feels like life is changing and evolving for townies but the option to make it stand still so to speak for households I don't want affected or to turn it off completely. I want us to start off with a city (so apartments), a suburb, country and beach town in the base game. I want to be able to allow certain sims who don't live in the same household to be able to walk in and act like they do if I deem them close enough to my sim to act that way. I think there should be more details that open up possibilities like I think it was here some pages ago when I gave an example of how instead of forcing cellphones on all players give the option of cellphones, landlines, or letters and for letters provide more topics to discuss, almost as if choosing topics like when talking to a sim in person.

I'd love for them to stop thinking about what's popular in 2019 to put in the game and start thinking about what would help players with their experience and how to make possibilities seem limitless instead of limited whether one wants to play like it's the 100 BC or one wants to play like it's the year 3000 and anything in between or even out of this world or solar system. The possibilities are endless if they'd stop playing it safe and in a box of today. I'd love to see airports eventually. Wouldn't mind if cutscenes made a come back in some instances, and I'm still forgetting a lot as I go on. All of this is off the top of my head, but I want more power and control. I want to feel like I actually rule. A game where they don't abandon ship after fixing little to nothing and basically leave it up to players before moving onto the next where they proceed in a similar pattern of operation.

I could keep going, and all of these thoughts are for a base game by itself, but with the exception of that last part about fixing the game I don't expect any Sims game to have all of that. I don't expect it to be absolutely perfect. I don't want it to cater strictly to me.

I think the game is best when there's something for everyone. I think everyone should voice what they want and how they feel about the game so we can eventually have a game that's as close to that as possible. I would love for the devs and even players who've never tried the previous games before to pick them up and see what all the fuss is about. Why we feel how we feel. For devs to talk more with players who prefer The Sims 1, players who prefer The Sims 2, and players who prefer The Sims 3 to learn what made us love them, why we're so passionate about them, and hopefully understand that this isn't simply us not liking something because we're upset that it's not our favorite game's second act or that we don't like change.

At least you have something interesting to say. Thank you, particularly for the last part. I want the Sims 4 to go on for some time but don't mind others liking their own favourite iteration. If there is a Sims 5 the makers of Sims 4 will have learnt a lot more by this type of post.

Unfortunately most here want it to end and anybody liking it as I do are lengthening the thread so I'll leave it for the OP to enjoy.

If anybody wanted all the previous iterations Prima guides for all packs I'd willingly let them have them but they are too heavy to post so they are going to the recycler bin this week.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    If anybody wanted all the previous iterations Prima guides for all packs I'd willingly let them have them but they are too heavy to post so they are going to the recycler bin this week.

Must be from all of the features and gameplay the older games had! :smile:
    edited August 2019
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

No. I am trying to do a clearout of anything unnecessary in my life as I am thinking of moving and getting the painters in as the estate agent suggested. Everything apparently, has to be clear of mess and has to be painted white to sell these days!

The Council recycling bin is just up the road a bit. Easy! :D
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

No. I am trying to do a clearout of anything unnecessary in my life as I am thinking of moving and getting the painters in as the estate agent suggested. Everything apparently, has to be clear of mess and has to be painted white to sell these days!

People would pay you money for those if you listed them. Instead of them landing in the trash.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited August 2019
    Cinebar wrote: »

People would pay you money for those if you listed them. Instead of them landing in the trash.

Have you ever picked up a set of Prima manuals? No thank you the postage wouldn't be worth it and charities are too picky here about what they take. They are definitely going for recycling.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

Have you ever picked up a set of Prima manuals? No thank you the postage wouldn't be worth it and charities are too picky here about what they take. They are definitely going for recycling.

Just sell them through Amazon or Ebay - you can have the option of buyers paying for shipping and handling.

Just sell them through Amazon or Ebay - you can have the option of buyers paying for shipping and handling.

Ah, but would they pay me for time and energy getting a bus to the nearest post office every time someone wants to buy one or two? I'd only do that for one of my first editions and I wouldn't touch Ebay with a barge pole.

I thought about suggestions and have now dumped them in the bin.
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member

Ah, but would they pay me for time and energy getting a bus to the nearest post office every time someone wants to buy one or two? I'd only do that for one of my first editions and I wouldn't touch Ebay with a barge pole.

That's what I did with all of mine. They started out a really good guide and then the writer changed and it was downhill from there.

• ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

Amazon provides a service where you just send all the items to them at once and they will do all the work for you. No need to make any effort over and over for each item. I just think it's foolish and wasteful to not recoup any money from something you bought. Smh....

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Back to the topic?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Back to the topic?

Agreed. Don't know what they're talking about.
    Back to the topic?

Agreed. Don't know what they're talking about.

Looking forward to the end of TS3?
    In the meantime simmers are very busy looking forward to the next pack. I must say I follow it in a state of confusion.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    In the meantime simmers are very busy looking forward to the next pack. I must say I follow it in a state of confusion.

Yeah, it’s most certainly not a purchase from me (not like that wasn’t predictable lol). I just saw a bunch of more recycled assets (which seems to be a growing problem with TS4).

I’m looking forward to see what they do with Realm of Magic and the, hopefully, last few expansions. I miss playing and buying an updated Sims game and packs, and The Sims 4 doesn’t do it for me at all. My wallet is open when EA is ready to begin TS5 and do things right this time. :)

Yeah, it’s most certainly not a purchase from me (not like that wasn’t predictable lol). I just saw a bunch of more recycled assets (which seems to be a growing problem with TS4).

I’m looking forward to see what they do with Realm of Magic and the, hopefully, last few expansions. I miss playing and buying an updated Sims game and packs, and The Sims 4 doesn’t do it for me at all. My wallet is open when EA is ready to begin TS5 and do things right this time. :)

Me too. I like new stuff. :/ But I could have sworn when I watched the video we can already do all that in GTW, can't we? with the same objects that came in GTW. I know one of my Sims ran a make believe photography shop and took lots of pics of Sims I made pose who might have come into the building, and put the pics on walls and I sold them to customers.... (Did they forget we can already do this with GTW asssets?

I might not have been able to get two kids into the shop to pose (seen in the video trailer) but I think I've already been there done this new career way back in GTW. (reused assets)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member

Me too. I like new stuff. :/ But I could have sworn when I watched the video we can already do all that in GTW, can't we? with the same objects that came in GTW. I know one of my Sims ran a make believe photography shop and took lots of pics of Sims I made pose who might have come into the building, and put the pics on walls and I sold them to customers.... (Did they forget we can already do this with GTW asssets?

I might not have been able to get two kids into the shop to pose (seen in the video trailer) but I think I've already been there done this new career way back in GTW. (reused assets)

SimGuruNinja said it was all new content and new gameplay objects. Guess we'll find out on Friday.
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited August 2019

SimGuruNinja said it was all new content and new gameplay objects. Guess we'll find out on Friday.

"All new content" doesn't always mean all new content anymore, previous packs being evidence for this. Friday will answer that.
  • spend4zenspend4zen Posts: 244 Member
    I have Pro's and Con's about TS4. I have played every version of the The Sims since it first started ( Yes I am Old) I have played every version for thousand's of Hours. ( Yes I am Sims Addict) I have to say TS4 has the best Graphics and camera control as well build mode then any other version. I would hate to see it changed, however, I miss being able to customize things with the color wheel like in TS3. Also the Personalities and socials are a little flat. And romance is totally missing, nothing steamy going on here. Right now I am not using mods or CC. I am still playing Vanilla until bugs get fixed ( fingers crossed) and I purchase more packs I have a Dine out (broken) Vampires(half broken)seasons ( it never rains in Oasis springs) and Jungle adventure ( again waiting on bug fixes) This is how I always play, a few years behind but I play enough hours in a day to know the game in and out and I agree with most of the other post that TS4 is predictable. NO real surprises, nothing new really happens, and somehow we need a mix of TS2/TS3/TS4..sorry but we do. It seems like this version got really really family friendly and not rated T or even PG, more like Disney rated. What I dread is if they do make a TS5 is that they will ditch the current graphics and great build mode and go back to the awful TS3 graphics. The sims were so ugly and hard to make. I did like the bigger neighborhoods and cool worlds though. I dont even mind travel by phone to much, im use to it but I am very picky about building and how my sims look. I tried playing TS3 earlier today out of boredom and wanting to have a wider variety of socials and personalities and I just could not do it bc the sims I tried making were so ugly,lol. Anyway, sorry for rambling...My suggestion is stick with TS4 and give us more socials, spice it up, and make some more exciting content like we had in TS3 and TS2..remember when ghost were scary..lol. And Zombies in the Yard!! :o
  • spend4zenspend4zen Posts: 244 Member
    OH Yea..PS...SPIRAL STAIRS AND DRUM SKILL PLEASE!

I’m far beyond looking forward to it, for a befriended simmer I really hope it will live up to Vampires and that it has witches. My wallet will open one more time for him, but for myself I don’t see it opening untill yours does.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited August 2019
    izecson wrote: »

Wow, what part of been there done that in GTW already didn't they understand? It doesn't matter if it comes with a new skin or different bhavs, and or isn't the thing they want to show. It's part of the new career which we have already playes in GTW as a prented photographer. What part of 'new' don't they get? It's still the same dang object reskinned and reubuffed and it's the same photographer job (with maybe added duties) we have already played in GTW. Reskinned and they are really saying like 'what?, it's all new'....no it's not, it's reskinned and reused, the job will be reused (already in the influencer career and in the use of the camera) and the assets in GTW. And expect us to rebuy it again. What's next a new lounge chair where this time it doesn't relax but they can nap, or talk to a Sim standing by the chair? Just comes in a different color? And a few added bhavs? I can't believe they are marketing this hog wash as new.

Another reason to wish TS4 would get over already. So, many lately.

I know a new bar, that offers one more different drink, please EA, let's get that and request $20. Just go ahead and make one of the bars already in game a little bigger and and a drink we may not have but have in IL. Doesn't matter if it's a brand new mesh (asset) it's still the same concept/idea..nothing new in the concept of taking a photo, adding it to a new object or wall and selling them. Gameplay of GTW, some gameplay from Style career, too, and rebranding as new with a few new duties and reskins.
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited August 2019

Wow, what part of been there done that in GTW already didn't they understand? It doesn't matter if it comes with a new skin or different bhavs, and or isn't the thing they want to show. It's part of the new career which we have already playes in GTW as a prented photographer. What part of 'new' don't they get? It's still the same dang object reskinned and reubuffed and it's the same photographer job (with maybe added duties) we have already played in GTW. Reskinned and they are really saying like 'what?, it's all new'....no it's not, it's reskinned and reused, the job will be reused (already in the influencer career and in the use of the camera) and the assets in GTW. And expect us to rebuy it again. What's next a new lounge chair where this time it doesn't relax but they can nap, or talk to a Sim standing by the chair? Just comes in a different color? And a few added bhavs? I can't believe they are marketing this hog wash as new.

I know a new bar, that offers one more different drink, please EA, let's get that and request $20. Just go ahead and make one of the bars already in game a little bigger and and a drink we may not have but have in IL. Doesn't matter if it's a brand new mesh (asset) it's still the same concept/idea..nothing new in the concept of taking a photo, adding it to a new object or wall and selling them. Gameplay of GTW, some gameplay from Style career, too, and rebranding as new with a few new duties and reskins.

Yeesh, I can understand reusing, repainting or remodelling content from previous games (Trees are Trees after all), but reusing, repainting and barely remodelling content that's already IN the game is just ridiculous.

I think they're just taking the plum out of people who buy Simstuff now, just seeing how many times they're willing to actually buy the same stuff, hasily rearranged, repainted and called new.

I'm remembering a line in a SouthPark Episode - You're getting old, Part 1:
    It's Jim Carrey in Whatever, You'll Pay To Go See It.

I get the feeling EAxis's thinking is:
    "Well, it's the same stuff, repainted, oh who cares, it's Sims whatever... You'll buy it."
    raw
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

I agree. I mean this is the third time they have looked at photography. It’s not new. And it’s really rotten that finally it would appear they have listened to people’s feedback except this time it’s locked behind the pay wall of a stuff pack. And I know, no one bought get to work for photography but it’s a feature we have done so many times. Why not something new?
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    At least you have something interesting to say. Thank you, particularly for the last part. I want the Sims 4 to go on for some time but don't mind others liking their own favourite iteration. If there is a Sims 5 the makers of Sims 4 will have learnt a lot more by this type of post.

Unfortunately most here want it to end and anybody liking it as I do are lengthening the thread so I'll leave it for the OP to enjoy.

Everything I said is stuff I've said numerous times a while back and some of it was inspired by short to even longer lists of things others have said and I thought they were cool so I added them to the list of things I wanted too.

To find the ideas sometimes you have to go outside of the feedback or ideas section. It's everywhere. Sometimes you go in the other sections for the other games and read about what people would've loved to have if their favorite was still being worked on or what they'd like in their dream Sims game. There are ideas in conversations about what would make this feature better or what would make that career better. Even ideas in threads asking for advice on how to fix certain problems. It's not like everyone complaining never posted a lengthy piece somewhere about what they'd love or left ideas like breadcrumbs in places they've gone on the forums. It's just a matter of realizing that they are in fact ideas or points to draw inspiration from but I feel like people get too blinded in defending The Sims 4 to actually see that and would rather use the comments made in a moment of anger and frustration to paint everyone unhappy as unhelpful to the feedback process.

I don't mind everyone liking their own iteration either but when it comes to Sims 4 I do think it'll be a bittersweet but ultimately a good day when the game ends and not because I'm ready for Sims 5. Nothing they've done leads me to believe the Sims 4 isn't on the same road as the last one. If that's the case, I say besides releasing that magic pack and a Uni pack they might as well end it and let others finally fix and improve what they wont. If this game carries on for however many more years then I want them to prove me wrong but I don't think they'll fix anything, leaving players stuck with finding workarounds or using mods unless the player is lucky enough not to come across any bugs because of how they play.

I have that little faith in EA and Maxis. They're the main reason my hopes for Sims 5 aren't as high as they could be, but the possibilities for the series are why I still maintain some hope and long for a competitor who sees the potential in a sandbox life simulator and strives to help the genre reach that potential. At least then The Sims will have to be done better or fall behind and there will be another option besides The Sims to enjoy. They need some competition to light a fire under them. Who knows, some of their future competition could actually be lurking through these forums and gathering ideas as we speak.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top