Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Sims in the gallery and why this whole story thing is half baked.

Hello

recently Maxis added Sims into the gallery. Some are familiar like Ollie Purdue, we have new faces like Emiko Mori and defintly the Sims from the cover like Dela Ostrow. The cool thing is, every Sim has a little Bio or backstory written to them now, which i love because, i do like maxis Sims and adding them into the world, to not have always the same pretty instagram Sims with no backstory, that you would mostly find, when searching the gallery. I even like that the new Sims from the cover have Jobs and skills, this is defintly a step in the right direction.

Though... Why do all this other Sims have no skills and no Jobs. We all now that Ollie is artistic? It's half baked

And when it comes to relationships, this is such a big flaw. Soo... Dela and Mia are together, but you have to manually set the relationship... oh but there is no girlfriend option like written in their bio? half baked
At least you can have the sibling option for Ollie and Cassidy.

But still. Its been written everywhere a dozen times. Doesnt matter which community. Game Changers mentioned it, its been mentioned here, on twitter, facebook, reddit etc. etc.
Now with the story thing going on. We need more CAS relationship options asap.

And its a little thing, but why can Maxis not make sure, that stuff that is written in the bio are in the game. That goes espacially for the relationship options. I mean is it so hard, to set Ollie and Cassidy as siblings, before adding them to the gallery?
And then this talk about beeing a dance teacher and stuff. Teasing at its finest. You have to get a mod for that, its not even in the game. Theyre fantasising went overboard sometimes. (Or maybe its a hint, but who knows?)

And i hope we get for every Sim a personal Bio Option and not just Household. It's also needed, when you advertise story.

Would be cool if they could add, this Sims from the december patch into theyre Gallery.

https://simsvip.com/2019/02/06/the-sims-4-new-starter-sims-added-with-decembers-game-patch/

Happy Simming

Comments

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    More relationship options in CAS would be nice.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    And being able to adjust existing ones so premades can be spouse bait without trashing existing relationships.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited July 2019
    They severely butchered every single Sim's story, whether they're a Sim from The Sims 1, 2, 3, or even one of the new ones added. There was clearly a lack of time and/or interest from Maxis in maintaining stories that were more than a decade in the making, and they took the very lazy route of "an alternate universe" so they could basically make up their own thing, which again, was poorly done.

I hope The Sims 5 builds upon the Sim backstories we've had from The Sims 1-3, add new, interesting Sims/stories, and I really hope Maxis will actually put some care and time into ensuring pre-mades are situated well in their world (with preset relationships, memories, etc.)
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I agree. They could easily upload the characters who are related together so they can at least have the relationships they should have.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Agree with both of you in all respects. However, am afraid that an entirely new development team, one that actually cares, will be required. It is obvious the current one does not give a rat's tail.
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    edited July 2019
    Im really enjoying the story thing . Actually, its definitely in my top 3 favorite updates to this game. I will use it every time i play now. I will use it with each household i create from now on.
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Im really enjoying the story thing . Actually, its definitely in my top 3 favorite updates to this game. I will use it every time i play now. I will use it with each household i create from now on.

I love this idea too for a option. Choices is always a good thing - I think.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I’m sorry but does that mean you need a game to tell you how to play when you use that function? The story you tell still is yours and I think it’s a cool idea if you don’t want to think up backstories for your sims.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    well i disagree with the first post i clearly find that feature perfect and very useful because with that feature you can make 1 stay at home family member while the other works to bring in the simoleons for the familyi only use that feature twice and find it very useful.
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2019
    I’m sorry but does that mean you need a game to tell you how to play when you use that function? The story you tell still is yours and I think it’s a cool idea if you don’t want to think up backstories for your sims.

Actually my own preference is for Sims not in my rotation. I handle the stories for all the Sims in my rotation - but that is a good idea to add a few more Sims I don't plan making a story for. I like to have a lot of Sims in my games but not all of them do I care about playing regularly in my rotation.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

edited August 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Actually my own preference is for Sims not in my rotation. I handle the stories for all the Sims in my rotation - but that is a good idea to add a few more Sims I don't plan making a story for. I like to have a lot of Sims in my games but not all of them do I care about playing regularly in my rotation.

I wasn’t singling you out @Writin_Reg because you said you liked it. I said mostly for the people who think it’s half baked. I mean I’m still playing the family I made for Strangerville. 😂
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    edited August 2019
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    They severely butchered every single Sim's story, whether they're a Sim from The Sims 1, 2, 3, or even one of the new ones added. There was clearly a lack of time and/or interest from Maxis in maintaining stories that were more than a decade in the making, and they took the very lazy route of "an alternate universe" so they could basically make up their own thing, which again, was poorly done.

I miss the running stories that they had going with 1-3. Particularly in 2, there were some fun back stories. Even when things weren't necessarily intentional, they ran with it.
    Bella Goth got messed up, so they put a duplicate in Strangetown and crafted a whole storyline for her that involved multiple townies. The ghosts on Olive Specter's lot look like they were just testing death types or something. But, instead of just removing the files when they were done, they gave Olive a serial killer vibe and a graveyard. And there's others throughout the game. (corruption aside from too many unlinked Sim files)They made it a lot of fun.
    The lack of good stories and the "reboot" feel of Sims 4 was one of the many things that turned me off of the game when I first tried it out. Here lately I've been trying to re-write some of the family stories and set things up the way I wanted them.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member

I wasn’t singling you out @Writin_Reg because you said you liked it. I said mostly for the people who think it’s half baked. I mean I’m still playing the family I made for Strangerville. 😂

@pepperjax1230

What function are you talking about? CAS Story, at least it randomizes a skill and a job, which maxis doesnt even do.
    I am talking about the gallery Sims from Maxis. Its written that for example Marco Russo is a painter but he has no painting skills, while the sims from the Base cover have actually skills and jobs. Its not even half baked, i think its lazy. We are talking about a professional studio here, geez.
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    edited August 2019
    PreCiious wrote: »

@pepperjax1230

What function are you talking about? CAS Story, at least it randomizes a skill and a job, which maxis doesnt even do.
    I am talking about the gallery Sims from Maxis. Its written that for example Marco Russo is a painter but he has no painting skills, while the sims from the Base cover have actually skills and jobs. Its not even half baked, i think its lazy. We are talking about a professional studio here, geez.

It's very lazy, considering it wouldn't take very long to set some of these things up at all. Sims who are supposed to be in relationships aren't, they don't even come together at all meaning they would be strangers once moved in unless the player changes the settings themselves, Sims who are supposed to be related aren't and no Sims have any described jobs or skills at all. It's all just tell but no show.

Some of it gets really glaring as well. The chef girl has a description that mentions real world locations (odd when you consider how 4 has avoided that in the past) and the athletic girl's description says she's training for an iron man challenge (something you can't even do in the game) which will involve a lot of time by the pool and on her bike (when bikes aren't even in the game). Another guy is supposed to be an activist for the LGBT community and again, you can't even do that in the game.

It becomes kind of annoying when you look over on The Sims Twitter feed and see how they're really pushing the new characters as well. There's three or four posts about them, with organisations even praising them in the instance of Mia and her girlfriend on the cover, when in the game they literally don't exist as a couple unless the player forces it, and even then you can't set them up as girlfriends in CAS because couple options outside of marriage don't exist, and their descriptions specifically label them as "girlfriends" not "wives". Those two girls are also an example of having job descriptions (I believe they're supposed to be fashion designers) when again, they're not unless the player forces it. They're getting brownie points for brownies they didn't even bake.

If anything to me the rebrand shows how little they care. In the past, Maxis always set up such interesting stories for Sims, with those stories continuing across 1, 2 and 3. In 4 they threw it all out, and now that they have an opportunity to introduce some interesting stories they don't even put in any effort at all.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

@pepperjax1230

This is exactly why some feel this is half baked. Their stories aren't even real, as you point out they don't even come with the skills they should have to be a painter or something else, and the rest like IronMan contest is imagination etc. We do this all day long in CAS, why would we cheer Maxis for doing it when they have the means, the tools and the codes to make it all true. lol It amazes me how much this game is left to prentend rather than depth.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I have two Sims as cousins who care deeply about each other, so one hugged the other. The game decided that was romantic and gave them a pink bar. I changed them to siblings so I wouldn't have to deal with that again. And I'm tired of seeing the option for my Sim to flirt with her beloved father-in-law. More relationship options would be fantastic!
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • LquinnLquinn Posts: 385 Member
    Being a console player, It's not available to me yet but I am looking forward to it. Not sure what is taking so long. I already had random traits to make the game more interesting, except when I am creating a super sim.
    Cinebar wrote: »

@pepperjax1230

This is exactly why some feel this is half baked. Their stories aren't even real, as you point out they don't even come with the skills they should have to be a painter or something else, and the rest like IronMan contest is imagination etc. We do this all day long in CAS, why would we cheer Maxis for doing it when they have the means, the tools and the codes to make it all true. lol It amazes me how much this game is left to pretend rather than depth.
    So you don't have an imagination and flesh out the story how you want?

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member

@pepperjax1230

This is exactly why some feel this is half baked. Their stories aren't even real, as you point out they don't even come with the skills they should have to be a painter or something else, and the rest like IronMan contest is imagination etc. We do this all day long in CAS, why would we cheer Maxis for doing it when they have the means, the tools and the codes to make it all true. lol It amazes me how much this game is left to pretend rather than depth.

It is hard to use imagination when all the sims act the same and are addicts to electronic devices.
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member

@pepperjax1230

Typically people play games so they don't have to use much imagination; It's different when creating something in the game, but the actual story and gameplay shouldn't require imagination... That's what books are for.
    raw
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

@pepperjax1230

It is hard to use imagination when all the sims act the same and are addicts to electronic devices.
    True, though actually I’m constantly using my imagination when playing Sims 4, I have to. I played two sisters, an evil one and a good one. I wanted them to not be friends, so I made sure the evil one was mean to her sister and the relation bar didn’t fill up. So of course as soon as I lowered my guard for a second they hugged and took a selfie. I ignored it and maintained my idea of the evil sister and the good one. Not in the game so much (that just didn’t happen), but in the story I wrote about them. How is that fun though, how is that playing a game? I mean, it was fun writing and the pictures were great, but I want the game to at least play along with my ideas. I didn’t give them those traits for nothing right? I didn’t make the evil one be mean all the time for nothing. How is ‘use your imagination’ when discussing a game a solution?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    edited August 2019

I think you are misunderstanding what it is people are complaining about. In Sims 2, the townies had stories that were written for them. They also had memories, skills, jobs, and relationships that matched the stories. The stories weren't as extensive with townies in Sims 3, but what stories there were, again had skills, jobs, and relationships that went with the stories.
    What people are complaining about here is that Sims in the gallery have been given stories, but there's nothing backing them up. As an example, Maxis made and offered Olive Specter and her niece Ophelia in the gallery, along with the original story from Sims 2. But, when you download them, they aren't even related. There's no skills, no job, no background of any kind. And her original story was a fun one! It's like giving someone a box of Lucky Charms, and when they open it, there's nothing inside but air.

We all have to have some imagination to even have fun playing Sims. And I'm sure most of us are capable of coming up with and playing out our own stories for our sims. I always play my own Sims, and just interact with and marry townies.
    But, if EA is going to put Sims out there for us and claim they already have a story, then they should back it up with substance. Or they shouldn't bother and leave it completely up to us.
    I think the CAS story feature was an attempt to address this complaint, in a roundabout way.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    lisamwitt wrote: »

I think you are misunderstanding what it is people are complaining about. In Sims 2, the townies had stories that were written for them. They also had memories, skills, jobs, and relationships that matched the stories. The stories weren't as extensive with townies in Sims 3, but what stories there were, again had skills, jobs, and relationships that went with the stories.
    What people are complaining about here is that Sims in the gallery have been given stories, but there's nothing backing them up. As an example, Maxis made and offered Olive Specter and her niece Ophelia in the gallery, along with the original story from Sims 2. But, when you download them, they aren't even related. There's no skills, no job, no background of any kind. And her original story was a fun one! It's like giving someone a box of Lucky Charms, and when they open it, there's nothing inside but air.

We all have to have some imagination to even have fun playing Sims. And I'm sure most of us are capable of coming up with and playing out our own stories for our sims. I always play my own Sims, and just interact with and marry townies.
    But, if EA is going to put Sims out there for us and claim they already have a story, then they should back it up with substance. Or they shouldn't bother and leave it completely up to us.
    I think the CAS story feature was an attempt to address this complaint, in a roundabout way.

Well said.
    lisamwitt wrote: »

Well said.
    Let me rephrase that I mean you don't have an imagination not to use CAS to tell a story? I must not get it because I don't play the premade sims in the game I only use them to marry my sims.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    Yes, I also downloaded a lot of the Maxis featured Sims from the gallery assuming they at least had skills and a job already like some of the others in the community gallery. However, instead they came with nothing but a description that describes their story only.

Also, more important than anything is that as soon as I tried to play one of the Sims (Emiko, I think), my game got real buggy and slowed down so much. The Sim started jumping around the screen and the game kept freezing up every few seconds. So I had to delete that Sim as well as all of these Maxis Sims from my gallery and re-started my game. Once I did that, the problem appeared to go away. So these premade Sims are pretty much unusable and adds no interesting gameplay since their stories are not connected with the Sim in any way.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self