Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Looking Forward To the End Of TS4

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Simburian wrote: »
    Bringing back to the topic thread in question I suppose you Sims 3 afficionados have given up all hope of seeing an end to Sims 4 so have gone back to discussing old packs. @EA_Rtas this should now be in the Sims 3 threads

Don't you think tagging a mod is pretty extreme? Or maybe not considering the original topic and how you personally feel about the original topic? Let's just move the sims 4 feedback to the sims 3 general discussion area.. yea I don't see them doing that. Especially since the majority of the comments pertain to the sims 4. 🤷

No. This has become a Sims 3 topic and should be moved there or closed. Just my opinion though. You are welcome to hold your own. :)

Was your only reason entering the thread to tag a moderator as you have done in every thread I create? The topic of why I created the thread is on the first page. Do you have anything to add? Yes, no? or why not or why I shouldn't feel this way about the last EP? I'm all ears and always listen to a good debate of what is a good pack. But seeing it is TS4's version of IP in many respects it's only logical people compare the two. But my reasons didn't even bring up TS3 that much in the first post, the lack of gameplay and this the latest EP was enough to convince me I will enjoy when they end TS4, patch it up so we don't have to deal with patches anymore and then people can mod the heck out of it, just like we have TS2 and TS3. And look forward to a new engine.

I don't see any new IDEAS for Sims 5 mentioned here besides mine. This has largely become a gripe magnet for Sims 4 and a nostalgic thread about Sims 3. Nostalgic threads about Sims 3 and what can be done with Sims 3 belong in the Sims 3 area. This thread isn't even comparing the Sims 3 island EP to the Sims 4 island EP. If your goal was to be nostalgic about Sims 3, that belongs in the Sims 3 area. If you have new ideas for Sims 5, that cannot be done in Sims 4, let's hear them! Sims 5, guaranteed, will NOT be Sims 3 EP 12, as much as some people wish it to be. What is the point of releasing a new game if it is no different from an old game?

I count ideas for the Sims 4, and even previous ideas never done for 3, 2, and 1 as new ideas for Sims 5, but that's just me, and people have mentioned how Sims 4 can be better or what they hope to see in Sims 5 but that's not what this topic is about so it's not mentioned a lot here.

There have been other threads opened that mention or are all about ideas for The Sims 5, I've even taken part in them and had a long list of things I added but those got moved to and eventually lost in the Off Topic or even the Speculation section but I think a lot of us not happy with The Sims 4 would be in The Sims 5 section talking about ideas if they opened a section open where we could easily keep up and discuss ideas.

Also, who said they want The Sims 5 to be The Sims 3? We've gone over this multiple times in the previous pages. We want better than what we had before.

Ok, but better exactly how? Which features from previous games would you keep? If you say you would throw out everything from Sims 4, then you are just griping about Sims 4 - and that is exactly what some of the posters here have done. If you say "Sims 3 was better" then better how? Rabbitholes weren't better in my opinion. Horses were, open world and color wheel was, and scooters/motorbikes were, but rabbitholes weren't. If you say "everything about Sims 3 was better" then you are merely being nostalgic for sims 3. However, unfortunately, I have the feeling it may not be possible to program a new game for today's computers that has 1) No rabbitholes, 2) No loading screens, 3) Open world, and 4)All the interaction options the current games have had, and 5) Works on more than 5% of the current player base's computers in single-player mode. I hope in the future this changes, but I fear that future is some years away.

The thread is about why some of us are ready (after five long years) to see TS4 end. It's not about what we would keep and what we wouldn't. Why (after five years and the last three to seven packs have been lackluster) is on the first page. There are other threads to say what we would keep from all of them or from just TS4.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    TS3 was not built for laptops and never claimed to be, I wonder why people thought it was.

People who bought laptops for the first time tend to think, a Windows computer is a Windows computer. Same operating system. Bought within a year of game release, there seemed no reason why it wouldn't run the game. The Sims series never required a souped-up graphics card before. DOOM required better graphics capabilities than Sims 1 did. I suspect those who are whining now about TS4 being "dumbed down" for laptops and slower computers will whine even louder if they make Sims 5 VR capable - which WILL require a souped up graphics card.
    This for instance is off topic.

ETA: when my PC couldn’t run Sims 4 I didn’t whine. I bought a new PC.

Not everyone has this luxury. And I was responding to a question.

I was poor when TS2 came out. I bought the game and loved it. But my computer at that time couldn't handle all the new packs. So what I did is save my money for a better computer (which took quite a long time) that could handle the packs as they were released. Rich people can get whatever they want instantly - and that's fine. I don't feel envy toward them. The challenge for poor people is, since they can't have everything, to decide what they want the most and then focus and save money toward that. Being able to get things that you have to work hard for is very rewarding in itself too. Saving up for a better computer and the TS2 packs as they were released made buying them and playing the game more special!

• Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    If you've only got the base game you might think that.

Sims 4 appeals to those who don't want "gameplay" thrust upon them but like dollshouses or using their own imaginations for building or stories but accept the occasional StrangerVille type addition.

I don't understand this new and growing narrative that at the very least implies that people who like and want gameplay lack imagination. And I could be wrong but there are others who aren't satisfied or even mostly satisfied and own multiple or even all the packs so far.

All of us use our imaginations to play the Sims but it's starting to, no, it's been sounding like imagination is the reason to not provide much of anything in the way of substance because the players who love it will just imagine it all. That sinks my hopes for The Sims 5 a bit further if that's the way we're going and paves the way for a competitor willing to provide an in depth game.

I've been told to use my imagination too much during this game but the problem isn't my imagination. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to enjoy most of The Sims games, I'd be looking for something more storyline driven instead of something allowing me to create my own stories. The problem is that more so now than in the past (because I've had to do it with Sims 2 and Sims 3) I have had to tamp down my imagination.

This game in a lot of ways is the most confined of the 3 out of 4 Sims games I've played. Probably the most confined since Sims 1 but I can't recall if I have played it and regardless Sims 1 didn't have the benefit of 2014 technology. A lot of things seem like they were made by people thinking inside the box, coloring within the lines, when some of us think half outside to far outside the box. We color outside the lines. Even the largest sandbox may not incoperate what some imaginations come up with but as long as there are a variety of tools and options to get close some of us are fine.

I think a number of us have too big of an imagination for Sims 4, we don't lack one just because we want better gameplay from a video game. We don't have the tools and options required to live up to our imaginations and we're not willing to, nor do we feel we should have to, imagine what they don't provide depending on what it is and how it would impact our game, especially if it's something they've pulled off before.

Some people are going to like a smaller sandbox, and that's fine. They like fewer options because they won't get distracted and can cut straight to the point or they never wanted some options to begin with. But for others of us, having a bigger sandbox gave us more room for our imaginations. We needed the space because the smaller was too cramped. More options wasn't a distraction but another tool to help us achieve what we imagined. When creating worlds, lots and sims there was less of our imagination we had to dilute to fit in. And those of us who benefit from a wider variety of options or having more options to play our way or tools to create, expand, or alter are out of lucky in a few aspects but out of luck on most others this time with The Sims 4.
    Yeah, expecting gameplay in a game, what áre we thinking.

Don't worry, if the quality gets low enough, someone else will come out with a competing product, and eat their lunch. Seriously, there are already alternatives to the Sims series. I play many of them already. Second Life, Avakin Life, Virtual Villagers, House Flipper, and mobile fashion games and mobile home design and garden design games (which are becoming increasingly popular). And there has been another one announced recently, though it has yet to show much of anything except blueprints for the upcoming game that hasn't been released yet.

The games you mentioned are for sim creators and builders. I play The Sims for the live mode game play itself. There is nothing like this anywhere else. TS1, TS2 and TS3 have built up their game play features on each preceding iteration with more detail and complexity. This is why I love TS3 so much - because it built up on what TS1 and TS2 already had and added more.

The way the devs designed it allowed it to be flexible. What they hadn't included in, the modders were able to add because of how it was designed. For example, who would ever thought you can turn The Sims 3 into a zombie survival game? I love the zombie apocalypse challenge and play it often! Also turning it into a third person action shooter game where your sim can play as an assassin? Or even third person stealth game like the popular Thief game, as a cat burglar where you can pick locks to break into houses and steal stuff while they sleep? TS3 can do all these things! No other sim game has done this!

So I'm hoping that the devs do the same with TS5 and build on TS1, TS2 and TS3. Make it as flexible as possible for simmers to be able to play it in other types of genres as I have listed and more.

• Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    edited August 2019
    I was never really feeling the 'looking forward to TS4 ending' feeling a lot of people have. I've been very disappointed with the game lately. Haven't bought a pack or really played since I got tired of Get Famous at the end of November last year. But I still had hope that it could improve. I wanted to wait and hope that maybe they'll overhaul babies, add some family play, refine traits, whims, and personalities. But now I'm not so sure. I saw this in another thread, but I only really read the right side column just now.
    Young-Simmers-Only.jpg

Almost all of the examples of stories they were looking for were for people who basically had a miserable childhood. Either they felt abandoned by their family, their family was dysfunctional, their parents super strict, they disliked their siblings, they were discriminated against, etc and used the sims to escape or get back at those people. Even those listed under the 'lighter examples' still involve 'a world/home full of drama' (Which I find ironic since there is no drama in TS4 unless it's forced upon by the player, but that's beside the point), so it's still rooted in some negativity.

What is with this focus on negativity? I get that some people do in fact use games to escape really world problems, I'm not saying that that doesn't happen or that there is a problem with that. It's the intense focus on this for their casting call and for the final promotional video itself. Was it like this for the previous games (I never played any so I wouldn't know)? Is this the future of the game? Because if so, I might just start finding myself looking forward to the end of this game...

I was hoping we'd eventually get something close to a generations pack, but heck, they might decide to make it focused on having horrible childhoods and growing up to spite your sims strict parents and mean siblings. I'm not saying that is definitely what will happen, and I'm gonna try to keep a positive outlook, but I'm really just worried right now :/
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2019
    People in this thread want a combination of all the previous games combined which I can honestly say that is not going to happen. Like others have said Gaming companies design their games for the next generation of gamers and on what ever is trending now - one reason Sims 4 is like it is and why mainly older established Simmers don't like it.

New generations do not seem interested in things like memories and nostalgia for their characters in a game and something like the Sims 2 memory system is never going to attract them even though many of us older simmers loved that system. I detested the Sims 3 scrap book memories though. But young simmers did not like that one either - so I think any hopes of a memory system period will not be part of a Sims 4or 5 as the youngsters live in the now and the future - they are not interested in the history or things like memory. Or even family trees either.

Sims kids playing games many of us played as kids that are not in Sims 4 - is also not something we can expect in Sims 5. The younger simmer would surely look at us like we lost our minds asking for such things - I know many already do when we ask now. My 11(turns 12 in October) year old grandson who is a new simmer looked at me just like that when I was telling him about all the fun things that were in Sims 2 - he outright told me that sounds like a borefest and a babies game. I have no idea why he said it was a babies game - but either way he was not even interested in looking at my Sims 2 game that I attempted to show him.

His ideas for Sims 5 - and yes as a new simmer he already knows what he wants and like the other poster said - he does indeed want VR. He wants to play the game with his friends online. Both ideas I detest by the way and really would not care to invest in that game.

Some ideas were okay - he wants 4 wheeling and mud racing in the game, tons of off road equipment and skateboards. Robots, drones, advanced gadgets he can build himself of all kinds Sims can build and use. He is not very interested in color wheels, and complicated house building tools - he wants houses they just plop down anywhere that require very little work. Stores totally online. School online. He doesn't care about cars - he only cares about motorbikes, mountain bikes, scooters, inline skates, skateboards, snowmobiles, etc - things that can go anywhere off road or on.

He wants water craft of all kinds, water skiing, and tubing (what ever that is), skin diving, paragliding - he wants the game playable from anywhere off the cloud so he can play on his home pc or even on his IPhone if he so desires - so he wants it to require the best internet out there - he can talk your ear off about 5K. He wants martial arts for kids age and up. He says no dumb clubs either - kids - he tells me do not like organized play. If they want clubs they form their own. He likes all kinds of sports though and that kind of play with other kids and adults even. He likes adventure vacations, hiking. rock climbing, cave exploring, camping and trips to Disney World. He not interested in tropical vacations or hotels even. He likes the idea of RVs or camping everywhere. Concerts and going to the races. He said he'd vote for a sims game with all this stuff in it.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2019
    Bringing back to the topic thread in question I suppose you Sims 3 afficionados have given up all hope of seeing an end to Sims 4 so have gone back to discussing old packs. @EA_Rtas this should now be in the Sims 3 threads

Don't you think tagging a mod is pretty extreme? Or maybe not considering the original topic and how you personally feel about the original topic? Let's just move the sims 4 feedback to the sims 3 general discussion area.. yea I don't see them doing that. Especially since the majority of the comments pertain to the sims 4. 🤷

No. This has become a Sims 3 topic and should be moved there or closed. Just my opinion though. You are welcome to hold your own. :)

Was your only reason entering the thread to tag a moderator as you have done in every thread I create? The topic of why I created the thread is on the first page. Do you have anything to add? Yes, no? or why not or why I shouldn't feel this way about the last EP? I'm all ears and always listen to a good debate of what is a good pack. But seeing it is TS4's version of IP in many respects it's only logical people compare the two. But my reasons didn't even bring up TS3 that much in the first post, the lack of gameplay and this the latest EP was enough to convince me I will enjoy when they end TS4, patch it up so we don't have to deal with patches anymore and then people can mod the heck out of it, just like we have TS2 and TS3. And look forward to a new engine.

I don't see any new IDEAS for Sims 5 mentioned here besides mine. This has largely become a gripe magnet for Sims 4 and a nostalgic thread about Sims 3. Nostalgic threads about Sims 3 and what can be done with Sims 3 belong in the Sims 3 area. This thread isn't even comparing the Sims 3 island EP to the Sims 4 island EP. If your goal was to be nostalgic about Sims 3, that belongs in the Sims 3 area. If you have new ideas for Sims 5, that cannot be done in Sims 4, let's hear them! Sims 5, guaranteed, will NOT be Sims 3 EP 12, as much as some people wish it to be. What is the point of releasing a new game if it is no different from an old game?
    This isn’t an “ideas for Sims 5” topic, it’s a “I want Sims 4 to end because” topic. Which means it will mainly contain criticism towards Sims 4 and the possibility for those who disagree to argue why people who do are mistaken. With arguments other than “but Sims 3 is unplayable and a hot mess”.

Oh, but Sims 3 is QUITE playable now that I got a new gaming computer, two years AFTER the last official content for the game came out. It just wasn't playable at release for many players. Keep in mind that businesses like EA are IN business to make money, and more sales = more money. You can bet the players who didn't check the specs for Sims 3 before buying checked the specs for Sims 4. And that would have been a lot of sales lost had they not catered to those players. In fact, on the desktop computer I have now, Sims 3 with its 4 GB of custom content I have in there now, only loads in about 2-5 minutes. I still could do without the Sims 3 rabbitholes though. I don't like loading screens either, but practically, almost nobody has the computing capacity in one computer to play a game that has neither loading screens nor rabbitholes and has all the character interactions and object animations that the Sims series does.

If they are planning for Sims 5 to have virtual reality, they are waiting until more than 5% of their current player base has machines that could handle it (FYI, my machine, with a GeForce GTX 970 with 8GB reserved can BARELY handle VR) and equipment (VR PC gear is currently about $400-800 by itself just for the accessories so I don't actually own any yet) that could handle it for this same reason. If you cut your player base down to the players who have the top 5% of machines, sure you have a great game, but if the other 95% cannot play it, you cannot sell to them. The top 5% cannot make up the sales from the lost sales of the other 95%.
    In relation to this topic I think the point should not be was Sims 3 playable for everyone in 2009. The point should be, would its features and possibilities be playable on nowadays computers, in a game that is developed now. Minus the bugs and routing errors we got for free in the process and that came down to rushing and wanting to make money as soon as possible. The fact my Sims 3 game runs smoothly, loading in 4 minutes and hardly has bugs anymore suggest two things:
    1. Yes, that is very possible in 2019
    2. Patches and DLC have a tendency to trigger bugs, so players are better off with a strong and full basegame, with just a couple of packs and patches

P.s. I sure don’t hope a Sims 5 will have VR by the way :s
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    People in this thread want a combination of all the previous games combined which I can honestly say that is not going to happen. Like others have said Gaming companies design their games for the next generation of gamers and on what ever is trending now - one reason Sims 4 is like it is and why mainly older established Simmers don't like it.

New generations do not seem interested in things like memories and nostalgia for their characters in a game and something like the Sims 2 memory system is never going to attract them even though many of us older simmers loved that system. I detested the Sims 3 scrap book memories though. But young simmers did not like that one either - so I think any hopes of a memory system period will not be part of a Sims 4or 5 as the youngsters live in the now and the future - they are not interested in the history or things like memory. Or even family trees either.

Sims kids playing games many of us played as kids that are not in Sims 4 - is also not something we can expect in Sims 5. The younger simmer would surely look at us like we lost our minds asking for such things - I know many already do when we ask now. My 11(turns 12 in October) year old grandson who is a new simmer looked at me just like that when I was telling him about all the fun things that were in Sims 2 - he outright told me that sounds like a borefest and a babies game. I have no idea why he said it was a babies game - but either way he was not even interested in looking at my Sims 2 game that I attempted to show him.

His ideas for Sims 5 - and yes as a new simmer he already knows what he wants and like the other poster said - he does indeed want VR. He wants to play the game with his friends online. Both ideas I detest by the way and really would not care to invest in that game.

Some ideas were okay - he wants 4 wheeling and mud racing in the game, tons of off road equipment and skateboards. Robots, drones, advanced gadgets he can build himself of all kinds Sims can build and use. He is not very interested in color wheels, and complicated house building tools - he wants houses they just plop down anywhere that require very little work. Stores totally online. School online. He doesn't care about cars - he only cares about motorbikes, mountain bikes, scooters, inline skates, skateboards, snowmobiles, etc - things that can go anywhere off road or on.

He wants water craft of all kinds, water skiing, and tubing (what ever that is), skin diving, paragliding - he wants the game playable from anywhere off the cloud so he can play on his home pc or even on his IPhone if he so desires - so he wants it to require the best internet out there - he can talk your ear off about 5K. He wants martial arts for kids age and up. He says no dumb clubs either - kids - he tells me do not like organized play. If they want clubs they form their own. He likes all kinds of sports though and that kind of play with other kids and adults even. He likes adventure vacations, hiking. rock climbing, camping and trips to Disney World. He not interested in tropical vacations or hotels even. He likes the idea of RVs or camping everywhere. Concerts and going to the races. He said he'd vote for a sims game with all this stuff in it.
    Most people in this thread managed to play and love the other Sims games, despite their flaws. I’m really not that hard to please and I’m actually an expert where it comes to turning a blind eye. I think that goes for a lot of people. Just because Sims 4 in our view has too many flaws to be able to turn that blind eye (for me personally, boredom is its biggest problem; I really like the sims in the game I created myself, I can live with the art style, I enjoy the lively animations and behaviour of my sims in the game) doesn’t make us an overly demanding bunch who expect too much. I’m surrounded by people here who can’t even imagine why someone can stand a game like Sims 3. The fact I love the game (indeed turning that blind eye at times or even giggling things away because they’re just silly) should tell anyone I’m really not asking for the moon.

Your story about your grandson made me laugh by the way ;) But one should wonder if he’s interested in a Sims game in the first place. I’m not prepared to give away the whole concept just because not everybody likes it. My kids don’t play the game either.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited August 2019

This isn’t an “ideas for Sims 5” topic, it’s a “I want Sims 4 to end because” topic. Which means it will mainly contain criticism towards Sims 4 and the possibility for those who disagree to argue why people who do are mistaken. With arguments other than “but Sims 3 is unplayable and a hot mess”.

Oh, but Sims 3 is QUITE playable now that I got a new gaming computer, two years AFTER the last official content for the game came out. It just wasn't playable at release for many players. Keep in mind that businesses like EA are IN business to make money, and more sales = more money. You can bet the players who didn't check the specs for Sims 3 before buying checked the specs for Sims 4. And that would have been a lot of sales lost had they not catered to those players. In fact, on the desktop computer I have now, Sims 3 with its 4 GB of custom content I have in there now, only loads in about 2-5 minutes. I still could do without the Sims 3 rabbitholes though. I don't like loading screens either, but practically, almost nobody has the computing capacity in one computer to play a game that has neither loading screens nor rabbitholes and has all the character interactions and object animations that the Sims series does.

If they are planning for Sims 5 to have virtual reality, they are waiting until more than 5% of their current player base has machines that could handle it (FYI, my machine, with a GeForce GTX 970 with 8GB reserved can BARELY handle VR) and equipment (VR PC gear is currently about $400-800 by itself just for the accessories so I don't actually own any yet) that could handle it for this same reason. If you cut your player base down to the players who have the top 5% of machines, sure you have a great game, but if the other 95% cannot play it, you cannot sell to them. The top 5% cannot make up the sales from the lost sales of the other 95%.
    In relation to this topic I think the point should not be was Sims 3 playable for everyone in 2009. The point should be, would its features and possibilities be playable on nowadays computers, in a game that is developed now. Minus the bugs and routing errors we got for free in the process and that came down to rushing and wanting to make money as soon as possible. The fact my Sims 3 game runs smoothly, loading in 4 minutes and hardly has bugs anymore suggest two things:
    2. Patches and DLC have a tendency to trigger bugs, so players are better off with a strong and full basegame, with just a couple of packs and patches

Actually most of the kids and teens in my family have VR equipment already for both pc and console games as the games they play already offer it. We - older simmers- are very behind the times over our Ya's and younger folks now a days. So they are ready to go even if we aren't when it comes to capable equipment and VR gear.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

I’m curious to know what this is referring too. My eleven year old niece plays the sims and she plays tag, plays catch and imaginary games (is that what you mean?) as well as playing with technology, she plays with her friends every day and they hang out and she adores her trampoline as she’s a gymnast and dancer.

The sims 2 wasn’t particularly outdated when it came out. Not all real life kids are obsessed with technology the way sims 4 kids are.

My niece plays sims 4 but her favourite iteration is sims 3 because of the open world and all the kid activities. Her “norm” in video games is an open world - the sims 4 is unique in that it’s the only game in her gaming library that doesn’t have that.
  • Options

Actually most of the kids and teens in my family have VR equipment already for both pc and console games as the games they play already offer it. We - older simmers- are very behind the times over our Ya's and younger folks now a days. So they are ready to go even if we aren't when it comes to capable equipment and VR gear.
    I’m very willing to learn and love new possibilities and equipment, that’s really not my issue here. My problem is that I just don’t think it suits a Sims game. Simming the way I see it is playing a character. Seeing the facial expressions of that character is important, making them do things is, creating different characters and make them react to each other and their environment. Sims is a game based on observing human behaviour. The games where VR is used have a different set up.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited August 2019

I’m very willing to learn and love new possibilities and equipment, that’s really not my issue here. My problem is that I just don’t think it suits a Sims game. Simming the way I see it is playing a character. Seeing the facial expressions of that character is important, making them do things is, creating different characters and make them react to each other and their environment. Sims is a game based on observing human behaviour. The games where VR is used have a different set up.

Worth remembering that VR is not the be all and end all for gaming - it’s a gimmick. None of the young gamers in my family use it and it’s not in the future of any of the games my Husband is working on. My nephew has a console and he has a laptop for gaming but he doesn’t care for VR. Playing online? Yes.
    I have a vr headset. It’s fun for the odd game. It’s not a big thing for every game. Why would it Be? It’s a gimmick.

Is graphics the most Important aspect? I would say no. He spent ages last week playing Zoo tycoon. He could have played the new one but he wasn’t bothered as that wasn’t as fun game play wise.
    Post edited by MidnightAura on
  • Options
    edited August 2019

I’m curious to know what this is referring too. My eleven year old niece plays the sims and she plays tag, plays catch and imaginary games (is that what you mean?) as well as playing with technology, she plays with her friends every day and they hang out and she adores her trampoline as she’s a gymnast and dancer.

The sims 2 wasn’t particularly outdated when it came out. Not all real life kids are obsessed with technology the way sims 4 kids are.

My niece plays sims 4 but her favourite iteration is sims 3 because of the open world and all the kid activities. Her “norm” in video games is an open world - the sims 4 is unique in that it’s the only game in her gaming library that doesn’t have that.

Tag, pillow fighting, chase, Mother May I, Cops and Robbers - and the other games Sims 2 KIDS - play as he compared that kind of play with kindergarten kids he calls babies like his 5 and 6 year old cousins. He says kids his age don't play like that now a days.

I just wanted to show him on my pc how it looks in a Sims game but he was having none of that.

He thinks sims kids should play modern games like Just Dance or Rock star in the Sims game - not baby games like tag. (His words, not mine.)

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options

Tag, pillow fighting, chase, Mother May I, Cops and Robbers - and the other games Sims 2 KIDS - play as he compared that kind of play with kindergarten kids he calls babies like his 5 and 6 year old cousins. He says kids his age don't play like that now a days.

I just wanted to show him on my pc how it looks in a Sims game but he was having none of that.

He thinks sims kids should play modern games like Just Dance or Rock star in the Sims game - not baby games like tag. (His words, not mine.)

And that’s fine. My niece doesn’t play all those games but she plays some. But she’s a kid. In other ways she is way too mature. She has her fair share of mature games and games she plays with her elder brother.

Again, it comes down to choice for simmers. If you want gadget obsessed kids in your game, let them have something for that but don’t ignore kids who play like kids and use things like trampolines and tag etc.

Sims 2 isn’t dated. It’s just kids in 2004 weren’t as selfie/social media obsessed as they are now.

People have been crying out for game play for sims 4 kids for years as it has very little that doesn’t involve the cell phone or computer ( not just a problem for sims kids but all other age groups) There is many people that want activities that don’t involve technology for their sims kid because it’s not always realistic and forces the player to play in one style. (Try doing a history of decades challenge in sims 4, it’s a nightmare.) sims 4 will age the fastest because in ten years people are going to be questioning all the memes that made it into the game and all the “in jokes” and references that are relevant now but won’t be in the future.

• Options
    edited August 2019

He wants water craft of all kinds, water skiing, and tubing (what ever that is), skin diving, paragliding - he wants the game playable from anywhere off the cloud so he can play on his home pc or even on his IPhone if he so desires - so he wants it to require the best internet out there - he can talk your ear off about 5K. He wants martial arts for kids age and up. He says no dumb clubs either - kids - he tells me do not like organized play. If they want clubs they form their own. He likes all kinds of sports though and that kind of play with other kids and adults even. He likes adventure vacations, hiking. rock climbing, camping and trips to Disney World. He not interested in tropical vacations or hotels even. He likes the idea of RVs or camping everywhere. Concerts and going to the races. He said he'd vote for a sims game with all this stuff in it.
    Most people in this thread managed to play and love the other Sims games, despite their flaws. I’m really not that hard to please and I’m actually an expert where it comes to turning a blind eye. I think that goes for a lot of people. Just because Sims 4 in our view has too many flaws to be able to turn that blind eye (for me personally, boredom is its biggest problem; I really like the sims in the game I created myself, I can live with the art style, I enjoy the lively animations and behaviour of my sims in the game) doesn’t make us an overly demanding bunch who expect too much. I’m surrounded by people here who can’t even imagine why someone can stand a game like Sims 3. The fact I love the game (indeed turning that blind eye at times or even giggling things away because they’re just silly) should tell anyone I’m really not asking for the moon.

Your story about your grandson made me laugh by the way ;) But one should wonder if he’s interested in a Sims game in the first place. I’m not prepared to give away the whole concept just because not everybody likes it. My kids don’t play the game either.

Well he plays the Sims 3 and Sims 4. His father is my middle son, and no that son does not play the Sims. My youngest and oldest sons do play (along with their wives) and - most kids in the family are simmers. My family has 34 simmers now but only a few of us play daily or several times a week anyway.

The Sims 3 game is his mothers game - so Josh more or less grew up seeing that game. He only got interested in actually playing it himself summer before last after breaking a leg on his skate board. He found WA and IP and loved them.

He heard of the Vamps for Sims 4 from one of his cousins who has all the packs and he started buying the Sims 4 himself. So yes I would say he is interested.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options

I love to play Sims in real life, my sims never play computer games though, it’s boring to look at a sim sitting behind their computer. I often make them do things I never do or don’t like doing in real life, because in a game it’s more fun to do those things. It doesn’t matter what kind of things they come up with for kids to do, as long as it’s fun for me as a player. My kids in the game play tag not because I like playing tag myself (bit old for that), they do because they’re clearly having fun and it’s good for their relationships. Your grandson (11 is not really a kíd kid anymore by the way, he’s probably started to get away from, opposing to that period in his life) isn’t a proper indicator in this anyway when he doesn’t even know the game, nor wants to know the game. Ther have to be ‘baby’ games too, because kids in the game aren’t all 11.

(Just Dance could be funny in the game by the way, a group of children and adults making all kind of dance moves, that’s actually a good idea, could be social too; don’t know what Rock Star is)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

Worth remembering that VR is not the be all and end all for gaming - it’s a gimmick. None of the young gamers in my family use it and it’s not in the future of any of the games my Husband is working on. My nephew has a console and he has a laptop for gaming but he doesn’t care for VR. Playing online? Yes.
    I have a vr headset. It’s fun for the odd game. It’s not a big thing for every game. Why would it Be? It’s a gimmick.

Is graphics the most Important aspect? I would say no. He spent ages last week playing Zoo tycoon. He could have played the new one but he wasn’t bothered as that wasn’t as fun game play wise.
    I never heard my kids wanting that anyway, no.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited August 2019

Sims 4 appeals to those who don't want "gameplay" thrust upon them but like dollshouses or using their own imaginations for building or stories but accept the occasional StrangerVille type addition.

I don't understand this new and growing narrative that at the very least implies that people who like and want gameplay lack imagination. And I could be wrong but there are others who aren't satisfied or even mostly satisfied and own multiple or even all the packs so far.

All of us use our imaginations to play the Sims but it's starting to, no, it's been sounding like imagination is the reason to not provide much of anything in the way of substance because the players who love it will just imagine it all. That sinks my hopes for The Sims 5 a bit further if that's the way we're going and paves the way for a competitor willing to provide an in depth game.

I've been told to use my imagination too much during this game but the problem isn't my imagination. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to enjoy most of The Sims games, I'd be looking for something more storyline driven instead of something allowing me to create my own stories. The problem is that more so now than in the past (because I've had to do it with Sims 2 and Sims 3) I have had to tamp down my imagination.

This game in a lot of ways is the most confined of the 3 out of 4 Sims games I've played. Probably the most confined since Sims 1 but I can't recall if I have played it and regardless Sims 1 didn't have the benefit of 2014 technology. A lot of things seem like they were made by people thinking inside the box, coloring within the lines, when some of us think half outside to far outside the box. We color outside the lines. Even the largest sandbox may not incoperate what some imaginations come up with but as long as there are a variety of tools and options to get close some of us are fine.

I think a number of us have too big of an imagination for Sims 4, we don't lack one just because we want better gameplay from a video game. We don't have the tools and options required to live up to our imaginations and we're not willing to, nor do we feel we should have to, imagine what they don't provide depending on what it is and how it would impact our game, especially if it's something they've pulled off before.

Some people are going to like a smaller sandbox, and that's fine. They like fewer options because they won't get distracted and can cut straight to the point or they never wanted some options to begin with. But for others of us, having a bigger sandbox gave us more room for our imaginations. We needed the space because the smaller was too cramped. More options wasn't a distraction but another tool to help us achieve what we imagined. When creating worlds, lots and sims there was less of our imagination we had to dilute to fit in. And those of us who benefit from a wider variety of options or having more options to play our way or tools to create, expand, or alter are out of lucky in a few aspects but out of luck on most others this time with The Sims 4.

This is why Strangerville was such a bad idea for a Sims pack because the Sims itself obviously has no narrative. The player is expected to create their own, but it's difficult to do that in a game that doesn't promote much creativity. Of course, a creative player is probably going to put more into a Sims game than an uncreative one, but the game itself needs some input like it achieves in previous titles.

Speaking for myself, in TS3, I have the classic "rags-to riches" story of a prince that left his family to achieve success on his own. He will go to every town and work on purchasing every piece of property in that town while maxing out every career in the game while romancing every woman in the towns while maxing out every skill. This alone, excluding the expansions, will give me months of things to do in the game, perhaps a few years if I don't play everyday, which I don't. With TS4, the most I could figure out was completing every aspiration in the game with one Sim and then have that Sim become a mentor to other Sims and help them complete their own aspirations. I eventually grew bored of this and had to come here and ask folks for ideas.

Even hiring writers of such a pack, how would you know who to hire to write a story for a game genre that typically doesn't have one? So you're right, TS4 is not a big enough playground to let the imagination of players flow, especially the older ones. Children could be entertained by this, but not me.

When your game intended to promote creativity lacks creative input, you've made a bad game.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I play Sims 4 in a different way to playing with one Sim and taking him from place to place on his story alone.

I like to build worlds and neighbourhoods, all filled with my own built houses and my own families, get them to know one another with possible marriages etc., etc. I can play with a family of 8 or 8 with pets easily and rotate families from time to time. I play Sims families with long lives but allow the ones I don't currently play to age up, die off and create new generations or ghosts which might surprise me going back to them. I am now battling to get to the 800 Sims limit I am now allowed to put in.

Sims 4 is more like a familiar world to me. There is so much to do and now I can take them for days out in Sulani if I want.

It's a completely different type of gameplay to Sims 3 and that is why I like it. I suppose I live in a small country and didn't like the wide open spaces of the previous one. I was as disappointed with 3 after 2 as people are of 4 after 3. Sims 4 is still a work in progress and with one of my favourite Magic packs coming later this year I am still happy with it.
    It's good to have favourite games so each to their own. :)
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member

Yeah, I never understood the imagination argument much either... If I wanted entertainment that requires imagination to enjoy, I'd read a book.

My personal joy in The Sims 2 was in shaping the minds of my Sims through their personalities, aspirations, interests and memories... I managed to create some truly unique and memorable Sims that still bring a smile to my face even as I'm typing this.

I don't remember a single TS4 sim I've created, because I didn't create them... I just dressed them up.

raw
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    *Delete*

Double-post

raw
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    *Delete*

Triple-Post
    raw
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    *Delete*

Quadruple-Post
    raw
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    *Delete*

Quintuple-post (going for a record on bugs EA?)
    raw
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

YES!
  • Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member

Ok, but better exactly how? Which features from previous games would you keep? If you say you would throw out everything from Sims 4, then you are just griping about Sims 4 - and that is exactly what some of the posters here have done. If you say "Sims 3 was better" then better how? Rabbitholes weren't better in my opinion. Horses were, open world and color wheel was, and scooters/motorbikes were, but rabbitholes weren't. If you say "everything about Sims 3 was better" then you are merely being nostalgic for sims 3.  However, unfortunately, I have the feeling it may not be possible to program a new game for today's computers that has 1) No rabbitholes, 2) No loading screens, 3) Open world, and 4)All the interaction options the current games have had, and 5) Works on more than 5% of the current player base's computers in single-player mode. I hope in the future this changes, but I fear that future is some years away.

Of course there are people are griping about it, some of our complaints have existed since 2014 when it was likely easier to fix some of them. We were polite, detailed, gave multiple examples and still not a lot changed. In some cases when change came it was a case of too little too late for some while other were grateful but still felt more work needed to be done. Personalities and emotions are an example of work I feel that needs to be done while toddlers are something I was grateful for, although I understand why some felt the way they did on the too little too late side.

Even now I see people who've vented and made angry comments take a moment, even apologize in some cases because they're admittedly frustrated with how things are going, then turn around and comment about what would make a good Sims game which sometimes includes things from Sims 4. But quite frankly it feels like it's falling on deaf ears. It gets tiring explaining a problem repeatedly or trying to be optimistic.

I can't think of anyone who loves Sims 3 that will tell you it's absolutely perfect. The best, maybe. It's fixable, sure. It's perfect, no. Not only is nothing perfect but it has issues that were never "officially" fixed and the very group to blame is the same group bringing us The Sims 4. Yet still, against better judgment and because they so far lack a competitor, some of us are still willing to hope the next game will be better. When I say better I want them to have a great game, great sims, great worlds, with even more options and tools to help players live up to what it is they imagine. I don't expect everything the previous games had to be shoved into the next game. That's completely unrealistic, but I'm not going to ask for less than what I think is the best they ever offered us and it doesn't have to be exactly alike but they should at the absolute least aim to come with their best to the table every time and as long as they tried it's good enough for me. But if it's broken, fix it. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

Which features would I keep from the previous games? That ended up being a long answer that I tried to type up all day but life got in the way. Thankfully I was going to make it a spoiler anyway and it's technically a new day now so hopefully it's not a misspelled jumbled mess. It's not so much that I would keep the features but rather improve and implement them in the next game. I feel like all the games had room for improvement. There are things about even my favorite features I think can be better but I don't expect it to be perfect or 100% of what I want.
    I'll start with my personal favorite and the most recent one I played. From Sims 3 I would keep open worlds, CASt, the world editing tools, terrain editing tools, the colorwheel, personality traits, favorites, and CAW.

From Sims 2 I'd keep the detail of the animations and actions, like walking to the car opening the door and getting in before starting it up and backing out. I'd want to keep zodiac signs with the personality points in addition to personality traits. I think improved zodiac signs having influence like they did in Sims 2 with improved personality traits of 3 taking the lead could work well if done right. I'd also keep turn ons and turn offs, interests, hobbies, fears, memories, and hair that moves.

From Sims 4 I'd keep CAS, being able to go in between worlds, the organization of build/buy mode, multitasking, and hats as accessories because I really love that. The calender and the thermostat as well. And there's something else I know I'm forgetting, about all of them actually, but this will do.

I don't vividly remember ever playing Sims 1 so I can't really say what I would keep from that.

In addition to all of that I'd want Seasons and Pets from the start. The snow depth, hail, rain, sleet, fog, wind, sunshine, partly cloudy skies, rain on a sunny day where following the event it changes colors outside. I'd love that. The thermostat to change the temp in house or in each individual room. Horses, dogs, cats, puppies, kittens, foals, birds, turtles, snakes, and more. Being able to create the puppies, kittens and foals in CAS as well. I'd wait and save up money for a base game with those two and even Uni included unless they're willing to take Uni and expand education as a whole with multiple universities, more in depth after school programs and daycare, better schools including elementary, middle and high school (which would be perfect to introduce preteens for middle school age), online schooling and community college (neither of which I'd be surprised about if added to The Sims 4 because it would fit)just to name a few.

I actually don't mind rabbitholes. Some things I just don't care to see but I do think there are things they could've done to make them better which I've posted about before in other threads. It's more realistic to see them go to a physical location to me than to disappear but it's not make or break for me whether it's a rabbit hole or open venue. Also I'm not concerned with whether or not it can run on my computer. I want them to make the best game possible, if it can't run on my computer I'll save up to buy a new one, however long it takes. Even with my crappy $200 laptop I never thought I wanted them to tone down The Sims 3 so I could play it. I'd rather they make a console version or something like the Sims Life Stories again than to have the PC game limited by catering to lower end computers, even if I would be disappointed I couldn't play it right away.

I think there should be more options for players. Let me set how many sims I want in a town and how many pets, which life states when we have supernatural beings, what season I start in. I want to be able to have more than 10 Sims per household, let me decide that too. The ability to set the job level, skills, finances and hometown in CAS, to have more relation options in CAS. To be able to create pregnant sims in CAS and select the baby's gender, to create babies in CAS, to have natural hair color and dyed hair colors, hair and facial hair that grows, to choose the fit of clothing (loose, regular, tight).

For life stages to not be neglected like elders and babies, to see a better balance of new ideas and the classics. More build tools like curved walls, more stair shapes, for sims to be able to jump fences and open and climb out windows. The ability to add even more levels to a house or build it up to a huge penthouse apartment, to increase lot sizes. Some form of partial rabbit holes allowing players to be able to either see their sims in work or going about their day doing some activities or to send sims out and not have to follow them. To have the option of being guided but also the option of doing things on my own.

I want story progression where it feels like life is changing and evolving for townies but the option to make it stand still so to speak for households I don't want affected or to turn it off completely. I want us to start off with a city (so apartments), a suburb, country and beach town in the base game. I want to be able to allow certain sims who don't live in the same household to be able to walk in and act like they do if I deem them close enough to my sim to act that way. I think there should be more details that open up possibilities like I think it was here some pages ago when I gave an example of how instead of forcing cellphones on all players give the option of cellphones, landlines, or letters and for letters provide more topics to discuss, almost as if choosing topics like when talking to a sim in person.

I'd love for them to stop thinking about what's popular in 2019 to put in the game and start thinking about what would help players with their experience and how to make possibilities seem limitless instead of limited whether one wants to play like it's the 100 BC or one wants to play like it's the year 3000 and anything in between or even out of this world or solar system. The possibilities are endless if they'd stop playing it safe and in a box of today. I'd love to see airports eventually. Wouldn't mind if cutscenes made a come back in some instances, and I'm still forgetting a lot as I go on. All of this is off the top of my head, but I want more power and control. I want to feel like I actually rule. A game where they don't abandon ship after fixing little to nothing and basically leave it up to players before moving onto the next where they proceed in a similar pattern of operation.

I could keep going, and all of these thoughts are for a base game by itself, but with the exception of that last part about fixing the game I don't expect any Sims game to have all of that. I don't expect it to be absolutely perfect. I don't want it to cater strictly to me.

I think the game is best when there's something for everyone. I think everyone should voice what they want and how they feel about the game so we can eventually have a game that's as close to that as possible. I would love for the devs and even players who've never tried the previous games before to pick them up and see what all the fuss is about. Why we feel how we feel. For devs to talk more with players who prefer The Sims 1, players who prefer The Sims 2, and players who prefer The Sims 3 to learn what made us love them, why we're so passionate about them, and hopefully understand that this isn't simply us not liking something because we're upset that it's not our favorite game's second act or that we don't like change.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top