Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Feedback on Island Living

124...Next

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

I love that sort of gameplay it's great it still happens in TS4 sometimes. Sometimes nothing happens. I have that gameplay in TS2 and TS3 so, I actually feel very close to those Sims, too. Though no moodlet is needed in older games. It's obvivous for days. It bothers me Graham one time said we didn't actually have emotions in TS2.....I think you and I both know yes, we did, but he said they were good at selling that fiction, was his exact words. We had never had emotioins like these (in TS4) I have to beg to differ with him. He must have not spent very much time playing the games. Working and viewing a game from a work view (like when you edit a video to see if you got something captured on screen) is totally different than experiencing it, I guess. I've never questioned why anyone likes TS4 so much, it can be fun for awhile. The problem for me is, that Sim can be deleted and the sad Sim will never notice. To me that breaks the immersion since I could just go ahead and delete and replace eveyrone with a clone and it wouldn't matter. And a few times I did, and it didn't matter to the Sim at all.

I'm not talking about emotions and reactions, or lack thereof. I'm not talking about how she felt sad because she saw her husband flirting with her mother. I'm talking about how I felt when I saw my sim was hurt. I'm talking about how I've been playing my toddler, child, and teen for over a year and its upsetting to think about aging them up. It may be strange but I've never felt emotionally invested in the sims in any of the previous games.

No? Wow, I did, the first family I created in TS1 made me cry, lol. The wife got burned up the next morning because I didn't know anything about smoke detectors in the game. And I was a grown woman. lol He became my favorite and though I played rotationally he was the favorite since he struggled so much, broke, starving, wouldn't work (due to his emotional upset) had to sell off furniture to buy food etc. It was great.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Jep_VingoJep_Vingo Posts: 4 New Member
    I've found Island Living disappointing and deficient.

My main complaint is that a major aspect which had been present in Sims 3 just doesn't exist anymore. I'm speaking of any kind of 'ocean living' aspect. Maybe it needs to be a new expansion? One may hope. But for now, Island Living doesn't offer anything for the whole mermaid underwater living features. Nothing. Nada. Hugely disappointing.

No underwater lots, no underwater viewing - it just seems like Maxis/EA have taken Sims3, given it better graphics and slashed away whole chunks of dynamic gameplay. And I'll never stop disliking the end of 'open worlds'. Now all I see are 🐸🐸🐸🐸 loading screens. That and the lots are all so much smaller, less chance to 'build' in the neighbourhoods.

Overall Sims 4 continues to make me want to just play Sims 3.
  • LquinnLquinn Posts: 385 Member
    We're all different in what we want out of the Sims 4, one thing I would have liked is more under water visuals. I really like Island Living, and feel like I got my mine worth. I give Island Living, 8 out of 10.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    There's not much to do in the Island Living GP EP. I wouldn't say it is worth the EP price. AT ALL. It's such a small world too. And beyond that, unfortunately, there is nothing else.

You got a lot more for your money in TS3's Island Paradise EP. You get the Isla Paradiso world - yes, it's buggy and you have to fix it or download a fixed version of it, but when that's done, you'll find that it is an amazing world with tons of things to do: scuba diving, snorkeling, windsurfing, water skiing, boating with different kinds of boats, lifeguard career, discovering hidden islands, hotel building and management, houseboats that travel (pretty enjoyable to sit back and watch over your sim's shoulder as the beautiful scenery passes by as the houseboat travels from point A to point B). Moreover, you can add those features to other worlds as well as create other tropical worlds like it (but lag-free!).

Both TS1's Vacation EP and TS2's Bon Voyage EP also gave you three worlds each, vastly different from each other with a lot of unique things to do in each as well.

In TS4 - Suvadiva is all you will ever have and you can't make any changes to its environment or add more lots. It only has one active career, but everything else is a rabbit hole. It's a pretty world, but quickly gets boring as there's very little to do. They took out everything I loved to do from previous iterations. How is that worth an EP's price? It's such a rip-off. The vacation EPs have always been consistently my favorite theme in all The Sims iterations, so the Island Living GP EP was especially heart-breaking and upsetting to me.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2019
    There's not much to do in the Island Living GP EP. I wouldn't say it is worth the EP price. AT ALL. It's such a small world too. And beyond that, unfortunately, there is nothing else.

You got a lot more for your money in TS3's Island Paradise EP. You get the Isla Paradiso world - yes, it's buggy and you have to fix it or download a fixed version of it, but when that's done, you'll find that it is an amazing world with tons of things to do: scuba diving, snorkeling, windsurfing, water skiing, boating with different kinds of boats, lifeguard career, discovering hidden islands, hotel building and management, houseboats that travel (pretty enjoyable to sit back and watch over your sim's shoulder as the beautiful scenery passes by as the houseboat travels from point A to point B). Moreover, you can add those features to other worlds as well as create other tropical worlds like it (but lag-free!).

Both TS1's Vacation EP and TS2's Bon Voyage EP also gave you three worlds each, vastly different from each other with a lot of unique things to do in each as well.

In TS4 - Suvadiva is all you will ever have and you can't make any changes to its environment or add more lots. It only has one active career, but everything else is a rabbit hole. It's a pretty world, but quickly gets boring as there's very little to do. They took out everything I loved to do from previous iterations. How is that worth an EP's price? It's such a rip-off. The vacation EPs have always been consistently my favorite theme in all The Sims iterations, so the Island Living GP EP was especially heart-breaking and upsetting to me.

Technically Sims 1 gave you 9 - 3 camping, 3 winter, and 3 beach places. There was only 1 world in the Sims 1 technically - just new areas to add to that world was given with each pack and Vacation gave us 9 new areas.

3 Winter Lodges - Al Pine's Winter Wonderland, Penguin Acres Campground, Alpine Preserve

3-Camping places - Bear Essentials Lodge, Ranger's Ranch Campground, Wren's Fens National Park

3 Beaches - Palazzo Palms Hotel, Sunset Beach, Reclaimed Public Beach .

Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    edited August 2019
    I don't really care if other people compare it to other packs or games unfavourably, that's their problem not mine. I did try starting up Sims 3 today but took one look at the Sims in CAS and decided not to go further. For some reason the male Sim reminded me of a "grey" from Ancient Aliens. I wouldn't mind trying again if I could bring some of the Sims 4 Sims in to enjoy those Island Paradises.

I've just made a Sim with a German Shepherd dog to live as a beachcomber layabout on Sulani with tent, toilet and minimal equipment. It's great fun and one can play it at slow speed to enjoy it fully.

I've got the feeling that some people don't know how to play the game properly. (runs away and hides, as the saying apparently goes). B)