Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Really, umbrellas are out of control or...

are they already magical?

BNmfJLA.png

Since day one umbrellas are a glitchy feature. It's getting worse with each new pack. I thought the worst combination was umbrellas & vampires (now somehow fixed in a patch after moths of waiting). But now we have a new winner: Beach & Rain! You will see sims reseting, frozen or completely lost without knowing what to do next: open umbrella, swim, close umbrella, run, close, open, open, oh, no I'm lost!

I have an Umbrella Stand at every house and lot, but I can only control the use of umbrellas from the household I'm playing. But if the rain comes suddenly, the nightmare is guaranteed :(

I earn this funny pictures but in reality my sim took hours to return to the shore caught in a horrible loop :| Here the "infamous broken arm syndrome" (your sim will keep that broken arm until you travel to another lot).

bz4DisC.png

I want a button to turn off Umbrellas! :s

Comments

• simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    I haven’t had any major issues with them yet (knock on wood), except that they all default to black. Hate that.
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    emere wrote: »
    I want a button to turn off Umbrellas! :s

Yes please!! I'm sooo tired of making all sims in a household put the umbrellas away, only to have to do it again the next time I rotate to that household :# I never ever EVER want any of my played sims to use an umbrella. EVER! Including the vamps. They all have Waterproof and immunity to sun. None of them ever NEED umbrellas. And quite honestly? Mersims should never have the umbrella user trait. They are children of the ocean, they should be used to water, if they swim in it, or it falls from the sky.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    In ts3 I had many vampires who used parasols when outdoors during the day. It was silly, and cute.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member
    The button to turn off umbrellas is removing rain. That's it. XD I did it.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I made a mod to stop the game from giving umbrella, if townies in your game already have it, it will not remove it from them, though. I absolutely hate that thing.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Umbrellas certainly are out of control! My Sims sometimes take ages to go from A to B, because they constantly stop to take out/put away their umbrella. I guess DeKay's method is the best so far.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    I'm not playing IL, but in my game there is not that much trouble with those umbrellas. Is it mostly a beach thing? I have not seen a colored umbrella in ages, when they show up I go like *what???*. I had the stop+open+wait+walk+stop+close+open+wait+close+walk thing, but it is not often enough to bother me a lot.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • zokliozoklio Posts: 40 Member
    I laughed out loud at the picture of your sim snorkeling while carrying the umbrella!!
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    The funniest thing I've seen with umbrellas is when the wind turns it backwards. By that I mean, they aren't scooped over the Sims' head, but scooped in the opposite direction. My Sims always get a funny look on their face when it happens, rendering the umbrella useless.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    Hate the umbrellas - they are so glitchy. I would much rather have my sims deal with an uncomfortable moodlet from getting wet or get the waterproof perk than deal with those umbrellas. Great pic! I too have seen them trying to snorkel or swim with an umbrella!
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I hadn't realized that umbrellas were glitchy, I almost always forget to buy an umbrella stand unless my sims are living in a particularly rainy world, such as Brindleton Bay.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• emereemere Posts: 1,755 Member

@simfriend1968 That default black is a bad option. Sometimes my sims worlds look like Magritte paintings :D

@Movotti yay, I remember that... you just make me to remember Beau Merrick!

@DeKay lol all my vampires are Storm Chasers so they need rain!!! I only disabled the snow blizzard: this one is a mortal trap if you play at Brindleton Bay coast because all those sims that are walking their pets :|

@SiliClone I understand why people like mods, really. For me is more easy to play vanilla games, you need time and be really careful to install mods and cc. I use them with Sims 2, it was more simple. Now I'm not good understanding how they work ;)

@Simmerville the problem is for all worlds, but at Sulani is more invasive. I've never seen a colored umbrella used by a NPC, only black ones.
  • emereemere Posts: 1,755 Member

BTW we got a fix with the last patch (August 8th). Now I need to play in a rainy day:

Seasons
    Sims will no longer obsessively open and close their umbrellas while walking to chat with another Sim.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I simply give all my Sims the waterproof trait and don't buy an umbrella stand. Fixed.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited August 2019
    I loved sims using umbrella in previous games, but I loathe when they use it in sims 4. It's glitchy and buggy of a feature.
    ihavemultiplegamertags