Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please allow us to disable the shortcut keys

Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
Specifically, please let me disable the M shortcut for Map Mode. It's right next to the < key that I use to rotate the game. I absolutely hate waiting the three minutes it takes for Map Mode to display only to cancel it. If I really want to go to Map Mode, I'll have my Sims use a phone to Travel. Thank you!
Origin ID: nik24x7

Comments

• IndiiAnaIndiiAna Posts: 20 Member
    Ability to customise keyboard shortcuts would be a game changer.

In the interim, is your keyboard one that you can just pop the M key off during game play and then pop it back on afterwards? (ie a regular USB desktop keyboard)?

I used to do that with my Windows keys while playing an older online game. Every time I accidentally hit the Windows Key (which was right next to alt which I used for hotkeys) it would crash the game... wasn't the best experience for the rest of my party, esp. when we were in the middle of a battle.
  • FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    I also have trouble with the shortcut keys. Apart from repeatedly sending my sims into travel mode when I don't want to go anywhere, you have no idea how many unwanted screenshots I have made hitting C instead of X when trying to zoom out, or how may unwanted videos I have made because I inadvertently typed a V instead of a B into the cheat box. It's worse if I am playing in a darkish room where I can't see my keyboard too well.

I'm not sure I would disable shortcuts entirely, though, if I had the option. I have found the mapview shortcut very useful on occasion; for example, when my sims have become "stuck" on a lot and won't respond to the usual command to go home. It would be a pain if I had to go into Game Options and change my settings before I could use the shortcut. Essentially, all I really want is some way of preventing the shortcuts from being used accidentally. This could be done quite easily if the relevant commands were changed to Ctrl + M, Ctrl + V, etc, so that you had to press two keys simultaneously.
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    Yes please! This is so darn irritating!!!!
  • MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Nik24X7 wrote: »
    Specifically, please let me disable the M shortcut for Map Mode. It's right next to the < key that I use to rotate the game. I absolutely hate waiting the three minutes it takes for Map Mode to display only to cancel it. If I really want to go to Map Mode, I'll have my Sims use a phone to Travel. Thank you!

Omg I thought it was just me, every time I do that I scream, it's so irritating!
  • mistwolf7mistwolf7 Posts: 78 Member
    I agree with the above post to re-program the shortcuts. I like to use the M shortcut, but I accidentally hit it a lot too. Same with C instead of X when I'm trying to zoom out.
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I fully agree with this! I stopped counting how often I accidentally took screenshots after I played TS3 for several days and being used to the cheat console closing whenever I typed a cheat. When I don't notice that it stays open in TS4 and I want to open it with Cntrl+Shift+c again I always take screenshots accidentally :D
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2017
    You guys got (need) to practice typing more. MS used to build games to help with making your fingers hit the right keys without hitting one next to it. :) If you didn't get something exact with the mouse or keyboard in a MS game (on purpose) then you would have to redo the activity...practice makes perfect.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SeeABeeSeeABee Posts: 1 New Member
    Came here specifically to say this. The *&(^$^(* "M" key is SOOOO ANNOYING!!!
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    edited July 2019
    Yes please, that would be awesome. I have never used the M shortcut deliberately but have used it more often than I like to think about by accident. Even just being able to change it would help, like maybe to T for Travel or something that's less likely to be hit accidentally. Especially since it takes ages for the map to load after hitting the key. :/
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited July 2019
    I use my middle mouse-wheel button to rotate, avoiding using the keys and thus never hitting the M key.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    They couldn't possibly do that... I'm sure it's too difficult and too expensive to allow players to rebind keys.

That and they don't like it when players actually have some control over the game.
    raw
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I use the old loading screen mod, where the plumbob is not spinning it's blazingly fast instead of using the default one which sometimes takes a minute to display the map.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    i fully disagree with this i find useful to use the shortcut keys when needed
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    I like the shortcut keys but I do slip up from time to time, and I think that's because I never look at the keys. I taught myself to touch type years ago but I am admittedly a little clumsy now and then and press the M key without meaning to.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • FLINTWNSTEINFLINTWNSTEIN Posts: 4 New Member
    I agree, the M key just crashes the game every time I hit it and it's NEVER the key I'm actually trying to hit....