Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Giving past paid content away as free “new” content

13...Next

Comments

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I got several Sims 3 store sets free during Holidays - it is not all that unusual for Maxis to give us paid for content for free. Look at Sims 2 we got the entire game for free and most of us paid big bugs for that game at one time. So why make a big deal over a few items of paid content anyway. It is a thing Maxis does now and then. Not a big deal - except to maybe those who never bought it all.

@Writin_Reg Thats like comparing apples to oranges.

Especially when you mention Sims 2. Not only was that game NOT available for direct purchase in 2014, ONLY people who had a registered copy of a Sims 2 product got the free Ultimate Edition. Have no Sims 2 registered on Origin? Then you did not get it - period. It was not a freebie for everyone, it was a freebie for people who owned the game already.

The DLC they rip from 4 is still very much on sale for the same price as release, although they have taken pieces and added them to the base game. It’s not like a gift set, or the most recent update to a game that’s not being sold, this is straight up taking content people paid for and giving it away for free to new players and claiming it as new content for everyone, when in fact it’s not. If you are OK with the practice that’s your prerogative, but please don’t tell other people how to feel! Thanks

Well I know plenty of people who did not own the entire Sims 2 that got the UC pack, All you needed was owning a registered copy of the base game. And Sims 3 store sets they gave away at the Holidays you did not have to own any of it - it was a free gift. To this day if you own enough of a part of a set - you can get rest of the store set for free. Don't forget that.

I have never gotten salty over all the free gifting Maxis does even though most of the Sims 3 store content I bought full price the week it came out. I did not begrudge others that got it free. Sure maybe at time it gnawed on me - but for the most part it did not matter to me at all - I already had it anyway. Also it only gnawed at me because it was my own fault I didn't get it free - having the urge to buy things the minute it came out instead of waiting - is the only reason I too did not get it free. Besides that I was glad some folks got freebies who might not other wise have been able to afford that stuff. I did not begrudge them getting it when I thought about it. Just like I don't care some people got some Sims 4 stuff free.

Believe me getting gifted packs from dear friends now that I have so many big expenses in my book is a Godsend.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited August 2019
    I got several Sims 3 store sets free during Holidays - it is not all that unusual for Maxis to give us paid for content for free. Look at Sims 2 we got the entire game for free and most of us paid big bugs for that game at one time. So why make a big deal over a few items of paid content anyway. It is a thing Maxis does now and then. Not a big deal - except to maybe those who never bought it all.

Especially when you mention Sims 2. Not only was that game NOT available for direct purchase in 2014, ONLY people who had a registered copy of a Sims 2 product got the free Ultimate Edition. Have no Sims 2 registered on Origin? Then you did not get it - period. It was not a freebie for everyone, it was a freebie for people who owned the game already.

The DLC they rip from 4 is still very much on sale for the same price as release, although they have taken pieces and added them to the base game. It’s not like a gift set, or the most recent update to a game that’s not being sold, this is straight up taking content people paid for and giving it away for free to new players and claiming it as new content for everyone, when in fact it’s not. If you are OK with the practice that’s your prerogative, but please don’t tell other people how to feel! Thanks

Well I know plenty of people who did not own the entire Sims 2 that got the UC pack, All you needed was owning a registered copy of the base game. And Sims 3 store sets they gave away at the Holidays you did not have to own any of it - it was a free gift.

@Writin_Reg Put your glasses on and read that again girl. You are just repeating what I already said, and you aren’t even making a good rebuttal.

ETA since you added onto your post: The Sims 3 Store was not the main line of DLC, and being gifted a set is not even remotely similar to said set being automatically added to the game for free after you spent money on it. Do I wish I could have saved $80 by getting Sims 4 for free? Sure, but that’s a non-issue. Maxis taking content people paid for, and using that as an incentive for old and new people to play the game is cheap and tacky and does the people who have supported them $financially$ a HUGE disservice. Again, if you are cool with your money being taken advantage of by AAA developers that’s your prerogative but I really ask you to stop trying to shame other people for not appreciating it.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    I've given up worrying about this now as if it attracts millions of Sims 4 players and more years for this game I can willingly put up with it. All us Sims 4 players will benefit in the end. As long as it is not too many and we get more swatches for those items in those packs though, Maxis! :)
  • Mo0nLight321Mo0nLight321 Posts: 428 Member

I don't want to argue or anything but The Sims 2 UC was entirely for free for everyone. I got it and I don't have a single copy of a Sims 2 game.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited August 2019

I don't want to argue or anything but The Sims 2 UC was entirely for free for everyone. I got it and I don't have a single copy of a Sims 2 game.

Did you claim it after it’s initial distribution? The game was only automatically distributed to people with a copy of any Sims 2 product registered with Origin. You could get it for free without owning Sims 2, but the process was not the same and it was only offered for a limited time prior to Sims 4’s release.

ETA; I’m not trying to argue either. Sims 2 UC is not a good comparison to what’s happening now with Sims 4. Neither is TS3 store gifts. All I was trying to say to other user, thanks for your reply though.
  • Mo0nLight321Mo0nLight321 Posts: 428 Member

Did you claim it after it’s initial distribution? The game was only automatically distributed to people with a copy of any Sims 2 product registered with Origin. You could get it for free without owning Sims 2, but the process was not the same and it was only offered for a limited time prior to Sims 4’s release.

ETA; I’m not trying to argue either. Sims 2 UC is not a good comparison to what’s happening now with Sims 4. Neither is TS3 store gifts. All I was trying to say to other user, thanks for your reply though.

In that case I misunderstood. Sorry :)
    On the other hand, I agree with you. The thing they did with Sims 4 was awful. I was angry when they removed photograpgy from GTW. Same goes with the new patch. I find it lazy and really unfair. They try so hard to get new customers with the base game, but somehow are ignoring the fact that with these sorts of moves they're pushing people that are already fans away.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

This is correct. EA sent TS2 registered players an email to offer us TS2UC in 2014 before the release of TS4. No Origin was required. Other people who didn't have a registered copy of TS2 found ways to get it for free by calling customer support. It was not even tied to Origin until the last year it continued to be offered by allowing them to patch the DRM.

I wouldn't call some monthly TS3 store give aways like a clock, gnome etc. store sets like others have in this thread. There were never any actual store sets (large amounts of furniture/themes/gameplay) they sold each month, ever given away. And none of it was ever forced or paid content in other packs then distributed for free to anyone who didn't have a pack. That's not how TS3 store worked. By conversations in this thread it would make players who didn't ever visit the store believe they gave away monthly sets like Carribean or that farming set away, or the Boardwalk etc.,when no, nothing like that would have ever happened. What was free was holiday few items like St. Patrick day etc.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Im still ticked off about this OP. But then again we've all noticed this with objects with every coming pack. They've been recycling objects with recoloring since the base game. I just feel silly because it took me so long to see what they were doing. Now I know better. I also believe it speaking with my money and I have stopped buying content from them.
    edited August 2019
    Tiarella wrote: »
    As far as I can recall, they did this to a small degree in the earlier iterations of the game, too. I remember getting a pack with...hot tubs? in TS2 or 3, & then they later gave some of that away for free, & the vampires I got in a pack in TS3 were also added into the TS3 magic-pack--all if I'm remembering correctly. But it was only a couple things, a couple times.

And they got away with it, so they're doing it more and more. I can imagine them arguing that people who buy the packs right away are simply paying for early access to the content, & that those who wait can buy the same items for far less, or if they wait long enough, get it for free. If they actually said this was what they're doing in the small print (do they?), it'd probably pass muster.

If you're really unhappy, though, in the US you can file official complaints with your state's Atty Gen. for Consumer Affairs, and there's the Consumer Protection Bureau, too. I'm sure there are similar gov't bureaus in other countries/the EU, etc.--some with stronger consumer-protection laws than here. If enough people complain officially, EA might actually have a rethink.

Read The TOS - you cannot - all you can do is not click "I Agree" and not install the game - the TOS says you agree and you give them permission. Read it and see. You have no rights to complain when you give them the okay to do that - in other words. The best you can hope for is arbitration on a dispute - but you play the game you said what ever they do is okay basically. It spells it out in the TOS loud and clear.

In sims 3 when they added vamps to supernatural they had different things not to do with the earlier Vamps in Night life. The were well - re-vamped... and much better than the earlier ones. If you did not get the supernatural ep - you did not get the additions to the Vamps from the earlier ep.

I actually do read TOS and EULAs. I often click no way, jack. But it doesn't make it right or moral or ethical. They can also not ever patch any bug (in the EULA) because games are sold As Is, just like a lemon, used car. But even if someone signs a EULA it doesn't mean those laws apply every where or in every country. And if the games are taken to be Sold As Is then there is no point in feedback at all.
    edited August 2019
    Cinebar wrote: »

This is correct. EA sent TS2 registered players an email to offer us TS2UC in 2014 before the release of TS4. No Origin was required. Other people who didn't have a registered copy of TS2 found ways to get it for free by calling customer support. It was not even tied to Origin until the last year it continued to be offered by allowing them to patch the DRM.

I wouldn't call some monthly TS3 store give aways like a clock, gnome etc. store sets like others have in this thread. There were never any actual store sets (large amounts of furniture/themes/gameplay) they sold each month, ever given away. And none of it was ever forced or paid content in other packs then distributed for free to anyone who didn't have a pack. That's not how TS3 store worked. By conversations in this thread it would make players who didn't ever visit the store believe they gave away monthly sets like Carribean or that farming set away, or the Boardwalk etc.,when no, nothing like that would have ever happened. What was free was holiday few items like St. Patrick day etc.

You are wrong -Several Christmas eves they gave away whole furniture sets for a number of hours to who ever was on the forums - all you had to do was click them and download.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    I swear I don't remember that. The Christmas Eve set giveaways -- were they announced in the Store section of the forums? Or general? Honestly I did not visit general very often, staying mainly in Gift Gathering, Store, or Creative Corner.
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
    edited August 2019
    Idontrcall wrote: »
    I swear I don't remember that. The Christmas Eve set giveaways -- were they announced in the Store section of the forums? Or general? Honestly I did not visit general very often, staying mainly in Gift Gathering, Store, or Creative Corner.

I believe they were in the gift giving forum as that is where I spent a lot of time too. I used to give Christmas gifts from the store to all my friends during the holidays from their wish lists - so I am pretty sure that is where they'd post them. Usually they only put them up for a few hours. I recall getting the all wood looking Kitchen set one of the times. I think it was call Bay Side or something like that.

Here Sims VIP mentions it on their site as well - https://simsvip.com/2011/12/25/sims-3-team-holiday-gift-free-bayside-kitchen-set/
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    One of the perils of getting old, lol. I forget anything that happened a few years ago.

Thanks!
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2019

You are wrong -Several Christmas eves they gave away whole furniture sets for a number of hours to who ever was on the forums - all you had to do was click them and download.
    I never ever got any Store set for free till after Sims 3 had been finished. Then for the first time I was allowed to watch ads and collect points that way. Besides, even if that were true, you want to compare everybody getting features for free just like that to getting some furniture (worth 499 sim points) when you log in at exactly the right time on one evening in an entire year when many people are doing something else than being online (Christmas Eve)? I even wonder if this also worked for us Europeans, or just for the American players (like the getting free sim points thing back then).
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I never ever got any Store set for free till after Sims 3 had been finished. Then for the first time I was allowed to watch adds and collect points that way. Besides, even if that were true, you want to compare everybody getting features for free just like that to getting some furniture (worth 499 sim points) when you log in at exactly the right time on one evening in an entire year when many people are doing something else than being online (Christmas Eve)? I even wonder if this also worked for us Europeans, or just for the American players (like the getting free sim points thing back then).

I don’t remember this being a thing either. And like you I got all my store content from watching ads and from sim points I got for registering my expansion packs.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Another disappointing crappy technique Maxis has developed. TS4 is defenitely the iteration of controversies.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Another disappointing plum technique Maxis has developed. TS4 is defenitely the iteration of controversies.

That is the best feature Sims 4 has. :D
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • minimonsterscottminimonsterscott Posts: 22 Member
    Interesting (not entirely unintended, I am sure) side-consequence of having no ability to change item colors as one was able to in Sims 3, once stated as being 'Impossible' by the devs (citation needed), even though the same system 'magically' shows up when working with a pet's coat, is that I cannot think of a single item that was ever recycled between packs in Sims 3, or in Store content either. Now, just to be able to bring a 'something' to the table to offer, they are making in-house CC recolors of so many items like crazy.

I was thrilled by the possibility of having new fish with IL, but am aghast that they actually think that they can really pass off the BG salmon as a 'Parrotfish' with having just slapped a rainbow recolor on the mesh. There are several other NEW meshes that I am very Happy to have with that pack, but every time that I see a 'Parrotfish' I get a bit of reflux in my throat...
  • surlybadgersurlybadger Posts: 283 Member
    When it first happened I wasn't sure if I was crazy or not, now that it's far more blatant and others are calling EA out on this, I'm deeply disappointed and upset. The idea I paid for swatches because EA doesn't want to allow Maxis(I'm not even sure it's actually Maxis anymore. I thought EA axed them?) to develop new content and let us have the old CAS pattern create back really butters my parsnips. I feel like I wasted my money, or basically paid for early access, but wasn't told that's what I was paying for. So I feel lied to and in a sense like they played a wrongful advertisement on me.

I really hope this doesn't continue to be a growing trend, but as many have said, this is EA so I'm not holding my breath.

I try to give Sims 4 the benefit of the doubt and keep my mind opened and not be outright hateful towards the game, as I do play it a lot, love aspects of it, but this...this makes it even harder for me to defend the game, you know what I mean?
  • hevkerhevker Posts: 84 Member
    When this happened it made it so much harder for me to defend EA in any way. So many of us choose to spend our money on the sims and to have items we paid for patched in? It's just throwing it right back in our faces. They shouldn't have done it. Instead, they could have used mianly BG items and made a couple of new assets to go along with it.

But hey, its EA so they won't care and probably won't learn anything from this.
    Most of us who stayed with the game from the start have had 4 to 5 years of play so I, for one, don't mind additional perks for new buyers. The new players give Sims 4 increasing longevity. Those who want Sims 4 to end strongly oppose this of course.

Before we were forced to join the USA forum when the UK one was closed we did get some free content just for us. Nissan cars for Sims 2 for example. These sort of perks came with being "in the know" by using the websites and forums and accepting notifications. It's the same for most online sites nowadays.
    '
    Re: free stuff. If you keep your eyes on Twitter and the SimGurus these days they quite often give away free codes on the first come first served principle' or retweets. Times have moved on.
    What I oppose Maxis, is to make me buy a pack for a particular thing in it, then turn around and patch it into a base game I already own so 'new' players can have the stuff from the pack I had to shell out $20/$40 to get. I'm not going to fund freebies for newbies. Let them buy their own.
    I'm not running a charity.
    edited August 2019
    I would suggest that those who want a Sims 5 and the end of Sims 4 hold off buying 5 for 4 to 5 years as the same thing will happen to them. :D
  • GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    I Hate this!! Please don't give away things we paid for =/
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
  • amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,714 Member
    I feel ridiculously stupid to have only noticed that they'd done this today. Was browsing through the female CAS items and I'm pretty sure it was the blazer jacket/shirt combo for Get Famous that I noticed was now a base game item?

Patching stuff pack content in for free is one thing (not a good thing and definitely not the right thing to do, but at least I'd have only paid maybe £10/$10 for it), but to patch in content that was priced at upwards of £30 at the time of pre-order is absolutely brazen.