March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Best Sims 3 Pack To Buy?

tulipssimmertulipssimmer Posts: 89 Member
I have been debating on whether or not to get a sim 3 pack and I couldn’t choose? I got Luxury Pack and City Pack with the game. What you guys think?

Edit: Really the debate is University it Island Paradise

Comments

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    You don't have any?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Island Paradise. doesn't work well go with seasons are world adventures
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • AbellaKellaherAbellaKellaher Posts: 852 Member

tough call for me - but very dependent on whether or not you use NRAAS mods because without it IP isn't playable. IP and ITF are my most recent two expansions (I don't own any stuff packs at all, but I was just debating on Movie Stuff stuffpack or Diesel stuffpack - the lack of decent jeans for males to wear is driving me toward Diesel but my giant movie and sci fi (and RHPS!) geek is driving me towards movie stuff so I'm very torn lol!) I played Uni a LOT when I got it years ago, but now the only time I'd ever play it, I think, is if my teen aged up and went off to uni. I suspect, however, that's because I played it so much that eventually it just lost it's luster for me. IP still has a LOT of luster for me, but it's not just because it's a newer ep for me, it's simply because it's one of the more beautiful worlds and I love the whole diving and island resort thing, and there's still a lot I haven't done. To be honest, in terms of play time only the "big benefit" of uni isn't actually being able to start a career at level 4 because if you worked for that same period of time most likely you'd be higher. The benefit to Uni is just having a lot of fun, really. And student funding - if you're an A student and you apply for student funding as often as possible you'll leave uni being able to afford a pretty decent, though not completely decadent, house. Contrary to @comicsforlife's experience, I haven't had any issues with either of those expansions with IP (then again I play all of the EPs at the same time.) Some have said they don't find the atmosphere of snow very realistic but you can adjust your seasons as long or as short as you want, what weather conditions are acceptable (and you can even set the temperature with testingcheatsenabled.) Places that are warm year round still have Christmas ;)

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019
    I have been debating on whether or not to get a sim 3 pack and I couldn’t choose? I got Luxury Pack and City Pack with the game. What you guys think?

Oh you have Late Night and High End Loft Stuff. Get University then. It's a really cool pack. There's new hidden careers, university itself, student dares and opportunities, plantsims, new skills etc.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2019
    Island Paradise. doesn't work well go with seasons are world adventures
    Is this a technical issue or more of an aesthetic one? I don't have any problems using these packs together nor do most players that I see provided that their systems are strong enough to handle them. The content from all 11 of the expansion packs can work together in any worlds being played.

Edit: Oh, I might have misread your comment. You probably meant to say that IP doesn't work well (period), and either Seasons or WA should be considered, not that they don't "go well" together. Sorry. But IP works just fine for most of us once the flawed included built-in Isla Paradiso world is fixed up. The content it provides is fine.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17183089/#Comment_17183089

====
    If it comes down to Uni vs. IP, I would have to vote for Uni but of course this is a matter of personal preference. Uni adds a ton of content outside of the actual travel to and enrollment in Sims University. Many of my worlds now have bowling alleys, comic book stores, street artists, sims learning the Science and Social Networking skills, playing table tennis (ping pong), coffee baristas, etc. and the gourmet coffee beans and herbs that are both harvestables and impact sims' moods are great fun. :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • KeiomestreKeiomestre Posts: 195 Member
    Get University! Even if you eventually get tired of the campus, so much is addded to the game that it is worth it. Smartphones add a great new layer of realism to the game with selfies, messaging, etc.
    ..... ..... ..... ..... My favorite Sims 3 family: THE ENFADONHOS!..... ..... ..... .....
    Vgfhu74.jpg
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited July 2019
    Island Paradise works just fine, please don't pay attention to nonsense remarks like the one above.

The only issue is that if you buy it ( as noted by igazor ) you'll have to make some adjustments to some of the lots in the world, as EA , in their usual lack of wisdom, have made several glaring building errors that can cause freezing and lag in your IP game. They are easily remedied, such as moving a pool ladder away from a door etc.

That said, over the two, I would choose Uni, simply because I like the objects that come with it, more than the IP ones :)
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    Agreed... I personally get more use out of University Life vs Island Paradise. I also recommend checking out game guides and reviews if you don't mind spoilers just so you can decide for yourself what appeals more. psst IP works just fine btw and the world it comes with can be fixed as the lovely folks in this forum section have already explained.

Island Paradise:
    LGR Review
    SimsVIP Game Guide

University Life:
    LGR Review
    SimsVIP Game Guide

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I say go with University
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,713 Member
    I think it was the University pack that gave your sims two more traits - seven instead of five. At least, when I started with just the starter pack (base game + Late Night + HELS), I never saw more than 5 traits.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Turjan wrote: »
    I think it was the University pack that gave your sims two more traits - seven instead of five. At least, when I started with just the starter pack (base game + Late Night + HELS), I never saw more than 5 traits.
    Yes. The 6th trait slot is for those who have successfully graduated from Uni and the 7th is for those who have reached Level 10 (I think) in at least one of the Uni EP social groups -- Nerds, Jocks, Rebels.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • AbellaKellaherAbellaKellaher Posts: 852 Member
    @Keiomestre and @Turjan bring up two very important features of Uni that I had completely forgot that they came with Uni but I use them all the time - smart phones and two additional traits. The smart phones don't just add a level of realism, they add important features. The traits are obviously self explanatory but with smart phones you can also increase your social networking skill and have access to the relationship transmorgrifier - which allows that sim to change the relationship of any two sims in the game to everything from romantic partners to complete strangers and everything in between. Very handy imo :)
    @igazor Level 8 is sufficient to choose the 7th trait - which can also be the 6th trait if you have not graduated yet or even didn't go to university at all.
    I guess I cannot edit yet, but I remember that level 10 is required for the new career options, like video game designer or sports manager.
  • KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    I'd wait for a sale, like on Steam (usually in October, from what I've read), and buy them all!
  • artenissimmer55artenissimmer55 Posts: 40 Member
    I recommend either Supernatural or Ambitions. While Supernatural does come with an assortment of types of sims like fairies and werewolves, I mainly like it because of Moonlight Falls (which is my favorite expansion pack world) and the gothic furniture that comes with it. I also like Ambitions because it has several new skills and careers that have really improved my game since installing it. I can't really speak for Twinbrook (the world that comes with Ambitions), though, because I haven't really played in it.

University Life and Island Paradise are also good choices, but it really depends on how much you're going to use them. For instance, while I enjoy the furniture and occult status that comes with UL, the saves I play don't really allow me to send my sims off to university, so I'm not getting the "full" experience out of it. Same goes for Island Paradise, because I don't really play in its world, Isla Paradiso, which has a lot of things that can't be replicated in the expansion pack worlds (hidden islands, diving lots, etc.). On that note, Isla Paradiso is really laggy for a lot of players, so that's a possible problem you could run into. I have a Windows 7 and the world works perfectly fine on there, but it really depends on what your computer can "take", if you get what I mean.
  • damselstonedamselstone Posts: 21 Member
    I think out of Island Paradise or University then go with University; there's really so much more content. Out of everything though I'd recommend World Adventures - there is so much milage here and it's generally the most fun I've had with any expansion from TS3.
  • LadyGreenEyesLadyGreenEyes Posts: 928 Member
    I think I've done more with World Adventures than all the rest, save maybe Pets. That said, it's more your personal gameplay that is the deciding factor. What do YOU want to do most in your game?
  • affleck11affleck11 Posts: 33 Member
    i personally enjoyed Into the Future the best, plumbots, futuristic items, pop culture references, its just all my sort of style. whatever you want though.
  • rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    I have all eps except Uni, SN and ITF (ITF idc much if i get or not... SN i might so i can do an Addams Family sims... Uni I plan to hopefully get)
    It might help to look at LGR (Lazy Gamer Reviews) reviews as they tell you what they're about. I'm more so going for a realistic approach, which is why i chose the eps i did.
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com