Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Island Living - 'Off the Grid' lot trait

Comments

• WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    I don't know if this still matter, since we got an update today, but "off-the-grid" trait will be without water/power, though there are some things that say "works off-the-grid" in their description, and you won't pay power bills.

With Game Changers, Youtubers like Sim Supply and Urban Sims, being able to show more in-depth game play starting tomorrow, I can’t wait to see what the “work off-the-grid” items are.

• happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Wrenry wrote: »
    With Game Changers, Youtubers like Sim Supply and Urban Sims, being able to show more in-depth game play starting tomorrow, I can’t wait to see what the “work off-the-grid” items are.
    ... ?
    The lot trait was in today's patch, it's not exclusive to Island Living.
    Sure some more items might come with, but the bulk of it is already in your game.
  • WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    happyopi wrote: »
    Wrenry wrote: »
    ... ?
    The lot trait was in today's patch, it's not exclusive to Island Living.
    Sure some more items might come with, but the bulk of it is already in your game.

But which items will have the off the grid tag is what I meant. I can see the pee bush, grills and lanterns with the description being added but what else will carry it.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I was wondering about the lot trait too, and was thinking how perfectly it would fit in with a farming pack.

Farmers are extremely high tech. Between super-sized tractors, milking machines, solar powered grain silos...
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • CeCeStarrxCeCeStarrx Posts: 7 New Member
    Could we avoid welcome wagons with off the grid or something, no more welcome wagons would be nice I think.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    The new welcome wagon is much different in Sulani. The neighbors stop by with a big bowl of kava. I'll take a nice relaxing drink over fruitcake any day of the week. :D
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    The new welcome wagon is much different in Sulani. The neighbors stop by with a big bowl of kava. I'll take a nice relaxing drink over fruitcake any day of the week. :D

WIth enough drink I might eat some fruitcake, tho...
  • hihi122122hihi122122 Posts: 1,259 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I was wondering about the lot trait too, and was thinking how perfectly it would fit in with a farming pack.

Farmers are extremely high tech. Between super-sized tractors, milking machines, solar powered grain silos...

I think the idea/consensus is more for the "hobby farm" that you see IRL. Or the self-sufficient life/homesteading where you are low tech from a combination of lack of funds/power/etc. Plus going to old fashioned farming, where you have the basic chicken coop, barn, horse stalls, etc. Nothing that would require power/water unless you automated things (like an autofeeder or a water trough).

IRL my extended family lives out in the middle of nowhere and has a parcel of land used for basic gardening, horses, and so forth. All it does is take care of their needs, plus a little extra for neighbors. Some of those machines net around $250k, and unless you have the acreage and farm license, it's not feasible. So they're low tech, minus the electric fence to keep the wild animals out... If I lived with them I'd want more solar power instead of all the gas they use, but you work with what you have.

Personally, I'd like to see (and some of this might be in the game...haven't looked aggressively) a well, solar panels, fans (yay patch! --also yay for the new fishing things!), and some farming stuff for chickens, cows, horses, pigs, and sheep (along with their necessary houses and storage). The gardening is pretty good both high and low tech for my needs. Maybe some form of old fashioned larder/ice box for food and a new world with super large lots for farms. Would also be nice to be able to own a farm that works itself while you live on a small lot -- sometimes it's the dream to own these things instead of working them XD
  • Anime_CakeAnime_Cake Posts: 10 New Member
    > @SimsStarfish said:
    > They would probably still charge some sort of property rates tax? Just no water and electrical added on?

What are they gonna do if you don't pay your bills? Cut your electricity? ;)
  • ArmortyArmorty Posts: 547 Member
    I have a question what is the difference between this trait and just not paying your bills?
  • MadstarletMadstarlet Posts: 53 Member
    edited June 2019
    Armorty wrote: »
    I have a question what is the difference between this trait and just not paying your bills?

The trait makes it so electricity and hot water don't work on your lot. So not only do you not have bills to pay, but only certain items will work to provide you the ability to cook, shower, have light (ie. candles), etc.
    Follow the creation of the new Sims 4 Web Series Wayward Plumbobs by becoming a patron: patreon.com/waywardplumbobs.com
  • Rhiannon1307Rhiannon1307 Posts: 147 Member
    Has anybody already tested this? Which toilets and showers still work? And what about storing food? A fridge won't work, I suppose. Or does it work in the game after all (albeit being unrealistic)?
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited June 2019
    The 2 crafted toilets work, plus a few of the cheaper ones, the cheapest sink and the OR sink works for washing dishes or hands, and none of the tubs work. Obviously, the toilet shrubs work. A few of the showers (including the OR retreat ones and the Strangerville one) work but give a tense tepid shower moodlet which suggests that the Sim doesn't feel completely clean.

The old-fashioned stove works (it allows the sim to cook with gas -- a few limited dishes like grilled cheese -- but not to use the oven or make any group meals. I find the barbecue and cooking pit work the best for cooking, while the cooler is great for cold drinks and basic breakfasts. The old-fashioned fridge acts as a pantry to store produce, fish, make salads (with a counter) and also allows your Sim to grab a few quick meals like sandwiches, but no drinks. Food also spoils a bit faster. The JA sale table apparently keeps things fresh up to six days. Weirdly the laundry tub did not work because you could not empty or refill the water without plumbing attachments -- that was a major disappointment, and I hope it is patched in later.

Candles, both the individual ones and wall and ceiling ones (from the Vampire pack and JA), work. They give off a nice, warm and soft yellowish glow, but are not very bright. Weirdly, the oil lamp didn't work, which was a disappointment, and a few others from GT also turned out to be electric. I hope they add a few more later or change these. No radios or speakers work (not surprisingly, nor do the laptops or the internet on phones). Fun was the hardest motive to keep up in my experience. This lot trait is loads of fun, I found, and it is not the same as having the power go out because it adds new gameplay and functionality.
  • awaitkateawaitkate Posts: 2 New Member
    Is anyone else having a problem with cleaning dirty items on off-the-gris lots? My sim can wash her hands and brush her teeth in the off-the-grid sink from laundry day, and shower in the off-the-grid shower from strangerville, but when they get dirty, suddenly “plumbing doesn’t work off the grid”?? So now my sim is constantly uncomfortable because everything around her is dirty and she can’t clean it.
  • elsie_delsie_d Posts: 7 New Member
    > @Madstarlet said:
    > Armorty wrote: »
    >
    > I have a question what is the difference between this trait and just not paying your bills?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The trait makes it so electricity and hot water don't work on your lot. So not only do you not have bills to pay, but only certain items will work to provide you the ability to cook, shower, have light (ie. candles), etc.

I have 48 hours to pay a §600+ bill or my power and plumbing will be cut off. I have no lights or plumbing. My sim does own a building with a counter and cash register on it. Could that bill be for the business? What if I don't pay? What can they possibly cut off? :D Has anyone with Get to Work and Island Living had this issue?
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Question for those who play rotationally (or just multiple families) - if, say, Bob Pancake is living off the grid, with limited cell phone options, and he's friends with Don Lothario, who is not off the grid, does Don get text messages and calls from Bob? (I'm guessing yes, since my Sims get spammed by ghosts. Look, you're dead. No, my Sim does not want to catch a show in the city. Go to the Great Llama and quit harassing my Sim.)

Also, can Don call or text Bob?
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Bronwin2Bronwin2 Posts: 2,010 Member
    The off grid trait is great, but it needs polish. All the off grid items need to be properly labled, the old fashioned wood stove that uses gas need to be changed to wood, it would be helpful for an off grid filter be added so we could find those things easier. The old Castaway game has some great ideas for off grid items such as solar water heaters and water collectors that enable plumbing to work.
    The biggest issue is the complete logical failure that items that provides water cannot be cleaned "because there's no plumbing ".

Hello? I just washed my hands in this sink and now I can't turn the tap on to scrub the sink itself??
  • MaeglinMaeglin Posts: 4 New Member
    > @Beardedgeek said:
    > The biggest issue is the complete logical failure that items that provides water cannot be cleaned "because there's no plumbing ".
    >
    > Hello? I just washed my hands in this sink and now I can't turn the tap on to scrub the sink itself??

The entire lot trait suffers from a logic failure.

- Can set auto-light for a single candle, but not an entire room because no power.
    - Can comfortably shower in a waterfall or rain, but not in a shower that's presumably using collected rain.
    - Only a couple of things can be cooked with gas, while IRL fully-functional gas stoves and ovens are quite common.
    - Cell phone will work for days on the lot, but a laptop? Nope.

It's like they're trying to both ignore and embrace modern technology when it comes to off-the-grid living, and failing spectacularly.
    Maeglin wrote: »
    > @Beardedgeek said:
    > The biggest issue is the complete logical failure that items that provides water cannot be cleaned "because there's no plumbing ".
    >
    > Hello? I just washed my hands in this sink and now I can't turn the tap on to scrub the sink itself??

The entire lot trait suffers from a logic failure.

- Can set auto-light for a single candle, but not an entire room because no power.
    - Can comfortably shower in a waterfall or rain, but not in a shower that's presumably using collected rain.
    - Only a couple of things can be cooked with gas, while IRL fully-functional gas stoves and ovens are quite common.
    - Cell phone will work for days on the lot, but a laptop? Nope.

It's like they're trying to both ignore and embrace modern technology when it comes to off-the-grid living, and failing spectacularly.

Yeah... I get the feeling they mixed and matched between "Crazy survivalist Off The Grid" and "Echo Living Off The Grid" that are two completely different things.
    As for showers tho.. I think the problem is the opposite: You often get the "brackish water" moodlet for showers and sinks that informs you that your sim feels icky because the water in the shower was still standing water, and brackish. Which makes it sounds like it pumps water out of the ground in a place with salt water leaking into the freshwater (which is logical on small sandy islands). But without power, HOW DOES IT PUMP??
  • MaeglinMaeglin Posts: 4 New Member
    I personally wouldn't mind build/buy items that would cancel out some of the negative aspects, either in a stuff pack or the base game. I don't know if there's anything along those lines in the Island Living pack, as I'm trying the trait in the base game, but it doesn't seem like it from what I've read.

- Renewable energy (wind, solar) and storage batteries
    - Rain collection and water filtration devices
    - Heated water using gas
    - Dry toilets

That way, you can be as miserable or comfortable as you want to be while living off-grid, just like in the real world.

The gas cooking is another matter, though. If they're going to allow it for a select handful of dishes, they should allow it for everything.
  • RaivyneRaivyne Posts: 1 New Member
    No offense to the Devs., but they really need to rethink the lot trait titled: “Off The Grid”! They should offer Solar Panels, Wells/Water Pumps, and Buckets ( used to disperse water where needed )as others have stated, but also consider giving positive mood-lets to Sims ( living with this lot trait ) instead of a tense or uncomfortable one the Sim gets when they shower or wash hands... after all with the atmosphere of the islands ( ie: Conservation, it’s major concern ) seems to me that these Sims are doing what they can to help Nature, The Earth, and Sulani as well.
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited July 2019
    Raivyne wrote: »
    No offense to the Devs., but they really need to rethink the lot trait titled: “Off The Grid”! They should offer Solar Panels, Wells/Water Pumps, and Buckets ( used to disperse water where needed )as others have stated, but also consider giving positive mood-lets to Sims ( living with this lot trait ) instead of a tense or uncomfortable one the Sim gets when they shower or wash hands... after all with the atmosphere of the islands ( ie: Conservation, it’s major concern ) seems to me that these Sims are doing what they can to help Nature, The Earth, and Sulani as well.

This is a great idea (to have positive moodlets associated with Off the Grid living). What I really hope is that they bring back the Eco-friendly trait, and maybe a related aspiration about Environmentalism (with a reward trait). Then, sims with this trait would get positive moodlets and emotions from living this way and using the objects, like solar panels, wind power, satellite dishes for electronics, geothermal heat, rainwater cisterns, Wells, or solar stills (for Sulani) that could be installed to improve OTG lots.

It would also be nice if these objects could be tied into the handiness skill somehow. Perhaps showers could start off with the brackish water moodlet and tense emotion. However, if your sim upgraded the rainwater cistern or well, they could get a happy moodlet for washing with fresh water or for conserving water; the gas stove could be upgraded so that the oven could work or so that all appliances and other normally-powered objects could run off solar power.

• HIstoricgalHIstoricgal Posts: 567 Member
    The trait is god. but can't do the dishes, ,eake a bath or shower, watch tvor use a computer. Only sink or shower that works is the ones that came with island.
  • shokoroseshokorose Posts: 66 Member
    My mind boggles that laundry day won out over Eco stuff. I hate laundry IRL. I tried it with my Sims and it was even more annoying, mainly because it takes them forever to do it. My Sims can take almost an hour in the morning standing there waving their arms around because they need to pee but can’t seem to come to the conclusion that they should go to the toilet, for crying out loud. I’m doing off the grid with my new family, so maybe not being able to have a cup of coffee in the morning is making them stupid?