Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why isn't TS4 inclusive of family players?

Comments

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Anmirla wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    ETA - In real time Sims 4 is supposed to be almost 50 years after Sims 2 - not the same Sims 15 years later. Sims 3 was Sims 2 sim 25 years later.

If TS4 is about 50 years after TS2, then The Goths should be the descendants and not the family unit prior to Bella's "disappearance". Also, isn't Malcolm Landgraab (a teen), the Malcolm Landgraab who is an adult in TS2 from Bluewater Village? I don't play premades in TS4 so I don't know where all of them are falling in line with one another, but that timeline doesn't sync with at least some of the premade families.

The sims 4 is set in alternative reality. Says the devs when questioned about the lack of back stories.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    Do what modern parents do: Give your kid a tablet.

Haha quite sad but true. I'm a teen so I know what you mean. :joy:
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • MilkMommyMilkMommy Posts: 7 New Member
    I agree with this, I'm currently running a Sims 3 legacy challenge and I noticed how much more fun toddlers were in the sims 3 than 4.
    IMO, toddlers were made to be more cute in the Sims 4.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    edited August 2019
    @Writin_Reg

What do you mean by "families are very different today"? No families that I know of are such addicts to electronics as the sims in Sims 4 seem to be portrayed. The impression I get is that the devs are so disconnected with the real world and are interjecting the trendy fakeness that they must thrive upon.

I've been to restaurants and seen the entire family with their heads stuck in a phone. I'm often bumped into by people not watching where they're going because they're on their phones. In doctor office waiting rooms, grocery stores, in line at the checkout. Everywhere you go it seems people can't put their phones away.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    @simgirl1010

Guess I where I live I do not see so much of that. I must hang out with more people who love to be unplugged from all devices. We have lots of outdoor activities, at least in the good weather months. Only really see people do more electronic fun activities when it is sub-zero temps in the dead of winter.
    I do know that I am looking for more gameplay for my sims that does not involve them using any electronic devices in general. It would help with family gameplay and gameplay for those of us who DO NOT always want the modern day setting in-game. I know I would be more excited to do a historical save if the sims did not rely so much on cell phones.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    edited August 2019
    I do know that I am looking for more gameplay for my sims that does not involve them using any electronic devices in general. It would help with family gameplay and gameplay for those of us who DO NOT always want the modern day setting in-game. I know I would be more excited to do a historical save if the sims did not rely so much on cell phones.

Agreed. I love my historical save but there are still so many things in game that require technology. I've also noticed that it's a great deal harder to build fun when sims don't have a TV or computer to hand. I've allowed most households to have a gramophone just to make my life easier, though I should probably have only given it to half the households I gave it to.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Wait Sims 2 had remote control cars I didn’t know that. That makes me want to play and see them now.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    Do what modern parents do: Give your kid a tablet.

Honestly this made me think of something I neglected to mention in my original post. Even the little family play does exist is so barebones. :/ All you need to do is give toddlers the wabbit tablet and they can fully max 4/5 of their skills without ever interacting with anyone else, and that annoys me. I know this is a game, but that's just not realistic. There's so little depth to parenting and often times it feels my kids can pperfectly survive on their own while their parents do their own thing. Parenthood added a bit more, but not nearly enough imo.
    Actually, from a pedagogical point of view, since Sims 4 and EA seem to follow such a politically correct agenda, this is really very wrong even.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2019
    @Writin_Reg

What do you mean by "families are very different today"? No families that I know of are such addicts to electronics as the sims in Sims 4 seem to be portrayed. The impression I get is that the devs are so disconnected with the real world and are interjecting the trendy fakeness that they must thrive upon.

I've been to restaurants and seen the entire family with their heads stuck in a phone. I'm often bumped into by people not watching where they're going because they're on their phones. In doctor office waiting rooms, grocery stores, in line at the checkout. Everywhere you go it seems people can't put their phones away.
    I recognize that, actually that’s occasionally me surrounded by kids and husband. And I always say something about it and they’ll always put away those darn things when I do. They don’t even realize they’re doing it, they’re “just checking” this and “just checking” that. So, if this indeed has to be in the game because it’s so ‘now’ apparently, I also want that option to be able to tell my pixel darlings to put those things away.

91hFpuLbwUL._SX700_.jpg
    5JZ57S6.png
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    @Writin_Reg

Where I live (U.S. but not the Midwest), people ARE addicted to electronics.

Not only that, where I live, even when people go outside to the park or on hikes, they are more often glued to their phone. Today I saw a guy riding his mountain bike while using his phone. I was like :o

• marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    It just seems that everything is catered to telling #YourStory but only if you are a single teen or YA...

Hey, EA! I'm your favourite demographic - a member of the 'LGBT.' BUT I like to play males and females who fall in love and raise their families, and I feel like my gameplay isn't represented in TS4. :disappointed:

In all seriousness, though, it feels like if you aren't a YA who wants to be famous or take selfies, TS4 doesn't have much to offer. It is VERY shallow.

Where is this good stuff?

tumblr_pvkn8xBiCs1xvf163o3_1280.png

tumblr_pvkr10znOK1xvf163o2_1280.png

tumblr_pvkr10znOK1xvf163o1_1280.png

tumblr_pvkr10znOK1xvf163o3_1280.png

tumblr_pvkoengCBC1xvf163o3_1280.png

tumblr_pvkn8xBiCs1xvf163o1_1280.png

Missing the newborn features after seeing these
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I think that's true - TS4 is sadly mirroring what real life is like. A generation of selfish, lazy, technology-addicted social justice warriors who have no grasp of the real life and when they want something *click* they expect to get it.

That might be the CA bubble they live in but it's not everywhere. I think it's funny TS4 tried to depict life from a bubble point of view. People still get the paper here, we still don't have wifi everywhere, not all people here even want or know what wifi is, nor will they ever care, they still work for a living (physical labor) with their hands and backs, we still like fast cars and sport cars, we still get off our butts and drive or walk to a store, we don't phone in or click for grocery delivery. We still have mom and pop shops like hardware stores that may cost a little more, but it's closer than a mega mall, and we all aren't looking to get likes and money from Youtube and get famous on Twitter or Youtube. Real people still exist but if you listen to everyone else you would think we all disappeared, but we haven't. ETA: And as far as that drone in Get Famous for celebs, if that thing flies over anyone's house you can guess what would happen to it. No, not everyone lives in the techno world bubble. And we aren't handing one year old babies an iphone so they too can become borg. And it may be a reflection of the times about selfies but been there done it with a really old Kodak a hundred of years ago, so no, this generation didn't invent selfies, either. But what we aren't doing is going on vacation just so we can post a selfie on FB. TS4 doesn't reflect real life but a bubble.

Um, no one has said that everywhere is like that - but a majority of the western world IS like that. It isn't just California - I live in the UK and it's like that in every big city.
    edited August 2019
    I think that's true - TS4 is sadly mirroring what real life is like. A generation of selfish, lazy, technology-addicted social justice warriors who have no grasp of the real life and when they want something *click* they expect to get it.

That might be the CA bubble they live in but it's not everywhere. I think it's funny TS4 tried to depict life from a bubble point of view. People still get the paper here, we still don't have wifi everywhere, not all people here even want or know what wifi is, nor will they ever care, they still work for a living (physical labor) with their hands and backs, we still like fast cars and sport cars, we still get off our butts and drive or walk to a store, we don't phone in or click for grocery delivery. We still have mom and pop shops like hardware stores that may cost a little more, but it's closer than a mega mall, and we all aren't looking to get likes and money from Youtube and get famous on Twitter or Youtube. Real people still exist but if you listen to everyone else you would think we all disappeared, but we haven't. ETA: And as far as that drone in Get Famous for celebs, if that thing flies over anyone's house you can guess what would happen to it. No, not everyone lives in the techno world bubble. And we aren't handing one year old babies an iphone so they too can become borg. And it may be a reflection of the times about selfies but been there done it with a really old Kodak a hundred of years ago, so no, this generation didn't invent selfies, either. But what we aren't doing is going on vacation just so we can post a selfie on FB. TS4 doesn't reflect real life but a bubble.

Um, no one has said that everywhere is like that - but a majority of the western world IS like that. It isn't just California - I live in the UK and it's like that in every big city.

So it is liberal/progressive "the big city" bubble then? The devs are all living in California, so that is why I call it the California bubble. California is known as the liberal/progressive toilet to many that I know. As such, there is so much things they are missing in-game. My area of the US is not even represented in the game.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2019

I'm only pointing out what isn't in the game that reflect my own experiences, not everyone here is obsessed with a phone (though yes, younger people do carry one) but all of TS4 has a phone, hated that in TS3, hate that in TS4. No paper, not in TS4 cause you know Graham said the world or maybe it was Maxis has moved past reading the paper. Kids still play games together here, but not in TS4. Examples like that, I'm not sure if it isn't the bubble of where they work because they sure have left out the rest of us. ETA: The point I'm making is TS4 is dated. Older games wear longer because they offered many ways to tell the story of your Sim. Today it's all about the technology in TS4, like drones, cell phones, pcs, and careers revolved around social media. How can anyone tell a different story in their head when they are forced to use objects that their character wouldn't use nor even in that time period. TS4 is way, way too restrictive in that area. A phone choice is a better avenue. A paper rather than a pc, if you lived off the grid. TS4 limits imagination even more than TS1 ever dared.

ETA: And five years later and TS4 kids still have no idea what tag is, or jump rope or anything. It's let's add another social media career for the single Sim. Five years and kids are as forgotten as elderly. And still no graveyard to bury Grandpa.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    edited August 2019
    Give the community good cable and wifi connections and just wait and see the difference in the community. Countries in Africa, like South Africa are providing free wifi access to all their citizens. Future shopping? Amazon drone delivery? Here we come! We in the West are slow to catch up in our remote areas. We may hate it but it is coming.

"“The World Bank says that for every 10 per cent of broadband penetration a country’s GDP grows by 1.28 per cent,” Knott-Craig says. “More tangibly, free Wi-Fi in townships allows the unemployed to look for jobs online and email CVs. Without internet access how do people find out about jobs or submit CVs?
    Education is obviously the other major benefit of free Wi-Fi, as kids and older students can study online, download textbooks, and generally access information about the world. How do you learn if your teachers are on strike and you have no internet access?”

This the world we live in today and why should Sims 4 be behind the times? Maxis' older Sims games were of their time and the only way we could get some of those days back in Sims 4 is with a historical type pack.

https://thenextweb.com/insider/2014/10/28/growth-free-wi-fi-transforming-life-africa/

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2019
    Simburian wrote: »
    Give the community good cable and wifi connections and just wait and see the difference in the community. Countries in Africa, like South Africa are providing free wifi access to all their citizens. Future shopping? Amazon drone delivery? Here we come! We in the West are slow to catch up in our remote areas. We may hate it but it is coming.

"“The World Bank says that for every 10 per cent of broadband penetration a country’s GDP grows by 1.28 per cent,” Knott-Craig says. “More tangibly, free Wi-Fi in townships allows the unemployed to look for jobs online and email CVs. Without internet access how do people find out about jobs or submit CVs?
    Education is obviously the other major benefit of free Wi-Fi, as kids and older students can study online, download textbooks, and generally access information about the world. How do you learn if your teachers are on strike and you have no internet access?”

This the world we live in today and why should Sims 4 be behind the times? Maxis' older Sims games were of their time and the only way we could get some of those days back in Sims 4 is with a historical type pack.

https://thenextweb.com/insider/2014/10/28/growth-free-wi-fi-transforming-life-africa/

TS4 isn't behind the times, it's too limited in how my Sim should be able to live by my choice. But this is about family play and as I said they have forgotten about kids, family ties, such a funerals and graveyards, because as someone put it in a different thread this game was never meant to have any depth to it. It was a game where you just plopped down any Sim from the gallery into your Sims' house, to play for a few minutes for whatever reason then delete them. That is TS4's whole problem.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.