Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you still have hope?

Comments

• Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    I don’t know i hope so
    Cynna wrote: »
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    At least Sims 4 doesn't freeze up & your [sic] not force {sic] to uninstall certain number of the gameplays/stuff games like Sims 3.

Not in my Sims 3 game. Runs great and always has. Invalid argument for why so many of us hate TS4.

Exactly.

It's amazing how there are some who profess that TS3 is a mess that doesn't work, like, at all. Meanwhile, many of us continue to play that game (as well as TS2) to this day.

There's a reason why the TS3 store is still going, five years after the launch of the latest shiny. Although many of those packs have been pirated to a fare-thee-well, they're still selling at their original price points because the game works.

Anyway, I felt the urge to add my two cents about something in this thread:

It's a mistake to conflate love of the series and a desire to see it continue with love and obsession with the latest offering. They are not the same thing -- not even close. That logic is severely flawed.

The series, as a whole, has a huge following. At this point, there's an almost Pavlovian response any time that there's a whiff of something new on the horizon. It's reflexive. It's practically primal. That immediate knee-plum reaction and flush of excitement are what EA counts on -- pupils wide open, along with our wallets.

Yet, the morning after inevitably comes. That's the time when clearer heads prevail and paying customers start feeling hoodwinked and misused. That's when that initial high has faded and people start to feel had.

If EA spent half as much time producing a detailed, intuitive life simulator as they do ringing that dinner bell and rolling out an army of representatives with luscious pictures of the presumed buffet, they might create a decent game. However, in this era of social media -- so much flash and so very little substance -- EA is depending on first impressions and sleights of hand to sell. So far, it's been successful, but people are starting to catch on.

Some of us recognized the manipulation right away. For some of us, it's taken a bit longer. But the rumblings have started and they're growing louder. A new coat of paint and some Instagram-worthy pictures won't fix this, neither will gushing tweets from producers.

When a company basically starts telling its customer base, "That's not what you really want, we'll tell you what you what." there's going to be a moment of reckoning. The death of the Sim City franchise bears that out.

I don't want to see the Sims series go the way of Sim City. But when you have a company that refuses to listen to its consumer base because they assume that they know what we want more than we do, it's eventually going to happen.

So right. I think with all the angry consumers EA will have to change something. But luckily for them, there are still simmers who will buy every trash they'll sell...

Lu4ERme.gif
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    edited July 2019
    No it’s to late
    At this point players that buy everything and they are the first ones that try to shut up other players complains are the major problem. I honestly hate that kind of people.

• FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    I don’t know i hope so
    I wish I could change my vote to "It's Too Late." Seriously. The DLCs seem to be so, well, lacking in content that they must make a huge profit even if they lose some customers over them. Whales are where it's at, and it's becoming more and more apparent with most devs, including EA, that $$ comes before quality.

I also think they'll keep Sims 4 going for as long as possible as DLCs are cheap to make and super profitable, and games are not as much. Is it FIFA which now makes more from microtransactions than game sales? One of EA's devs does, which bodes very badly for the video game industry as a whole.

I actually have been playing on a Nintendo Switch lately (my college-bound daughter decided it wasn't for her any more). For just a little more than what IL cost, I got a new Mario side scroller and an open world RPG ($50 a piece). And you know Nintendo isn't losing money on them.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I don’t think anything needs to be fixed
    Felicity wrote: »
    I wish I could change my vote to "It's Too Late." Seriously. The DLCs seem to be so, well, lacking in content that they must make a huge profit even if they lose some customers over them. Whales are where it's at, and it's becoming more and more apparent with most devs, including EA, that $$ comes before quality.

I also think they'll keep Sims 4 going for as long as possible as DLCs are cheap to make and super profitable, and games are not as much. Is it FIFA which now makes more from microtransactions than game sales? One of EA's devs does, which bodes very badly for the video game industry as a whole.

I actually have been playing on a Nintendo Switch lately (my college-bound daughter decided it wasn't for her any more). For just a little more than what IL cost, I got a new Mario side scroller and an open world RPG ($50 a piece). And you know Nintendo isn't losing money on them.

Actually they are way up 55 percent higher according to today's quarter update at EA. Better than ever apparently.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2019
    No it’s to late
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Actually they are way up 55 percent higher according to today's quarter update at EA. Better than ever apparently.
    Isn’t that because they gave away the game for free for a while? EA going awesome doesn’t equal us going awesome. You’re actually not contradicting what @Felicity said (“I also think they'll keep Sims 4 going for as long as possible as DLCs are cheap to make and super profitable, and games are not as much”).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,703 Member
    edited July 2019
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Isn’t that because they gave away the game for free for a while? EA going awesome doesn’t equal us going awesome. You’re actually not contradicting what @Felicity said (“I also think they'll keep Sims 4 going for as long as possible as DLCs are cheap to make and super profitable, and games are not as much”).

Almost 7 million players downloaded the game during that time. In addition to the base game promotion, total expansion and game pack downloads also increased 55% year-over-year in Q1.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited July 2019
    I don’t know i hope so
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Almost 7 million players downloaded the game during that time. In addition to the base game promotion, total expansion and game pack downloads also increased 55% year-over-year in Q1.

Yeah, YOY is an iffy measure to use, especially given the year before was horrendous for EA and packs are not coming out on an even basis and the base game had a major drop this year in price. Even more iffy when the share report names sales numbers for some games and just the YOY percentage of the Sims 4. However, it does not matter. Even if YOY were the gold standard of growth (it is not), it doesn't contradict what I'm saying at all.

They have lost some customers, they've gained some customers; more importantly, they're working out how to give people those dopamine hits that we find so addictive (which is probably why Sims 4 is so goal oriented and social -- it feels great when someone likes a creation and it feels satisfying when we get that aspiration step and party goal). And this isn't isolated to the Sims 4. Every major PC dev with the exception of CDPR and perhaps some Microsoft devs are working out how to maximize $$ through DLC and microtransactions (which are also DLC) while prolonging the lives of games because they cost so much more to develop. CDPR and MS have similar motivations for going against the grain here, but they also are going for a profit motive as games make tons and tons even without the crazy DLC train we're on now.

Edit: I just realized you said they used Q1 for the YOY, which makes it even less useful. But that does explain why in Q1 2020 they gave away the basegame for an extended period of time if you are correct. As I said before, though, it doesn't matter. As long as those DLCs are highly profitable, as long as they find the price/value ratio that works out best for them as far as $$ goes, that's what they'll sell.

• Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    No it’s to late
    [quote="JoAnne65;c-17183590"
    Isn’t that because they gave away the game for free for a while? EA going awesome doesn’t equal us going awesome. You’re actually not contradicting what @Felicity said (“I also think they'll keep Sims 4 going for as long as possible as DLCs are cheap to make and super profitable, and games are not as much”).[/quote]

I downloaded the free base game during the promotion, hoping it was better than it was at release. Horrible. Hated it. Uninstalled it very quickly. But, hey, I padded EA's stats....

edited August 2019
    More than ever - it is basically going the way I was hoping it would go - for a change. Longer shelf life - a more relaxed style - the way I play actually matters in Sims 4 - so i feel supported and not controlled by game mechanics.

I don't want my game playing itself like a lot of the past series controlls were - I like this style where the choices are all mine - even if it offers some controlled game aspects - as minor as they are I am not compelled to follow them or find a way around them. The option is fully my own without mods or cheats. Love that.

I do wish phones were optional - though.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited August 2019
    No it’s to late
    Even if the game faced a big boom of extreme improvement (not gonna happen) what about this entire 5 years of meh??? Is it worth it? I think its too late now and as I probably said before theres literally no hope for players who expected a good improved modern and solid base who kept us interested. Since for many The Sims 4 doesn't deserve the 4 in the name, since for many both The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 are far superior, theres literally nothing on this planet that can change this situation now! Only a new game or a competitor.

5 years is too much! TOO MUCH! And if you are one of the players that don't feel like this game is so good but you somehow keep having hopes at this point for a kind of a miracle... I think you should reconsider if its worth it...
    edited August 2019
    Renato10 wrote: »
    Even if the game faced a big boom of extreme improvement (not gonna happen) what about this entire 5 years of meh??? Is it worth it? I think its too late now and as I probably said before theres literally no hope for players who expected a good improved modern and solid base who kept us interested. Since for many The Sims 4 doesn't deserve the 4 in the name, since for many both The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 are far superior, theres literally nothing on this planet that can change this situation now! Only a new game or a competitor.

5 years is too much! TOO MUCH! And if you are one of the players that don't feel like this game is so good but you somehow keep having hopes at this point for a kind of a miracle... I think you should reconsider if its worth it...

I disagree with you 100 percent. Thank goodness i am far from being alone. It is not the Sims 2 or Sims 3 - they are all different games and should remain different. I paid hundreds of dollars for Sims 2, 3600 dollars for Sims 3, and the full prices of Sims 1 and this game - for that kind of money I do not expect the same game with just a new coat of paint. I do not expect to compare it either - if they are comparable you just repaid for the same game all over again. Why would you want to do that anyway?

On top of it I am ecstatic this version still has many more years to go of new content I very much look forward to. As long as it is different than all the rest - well it is money well invested to me - but when they copy the past games - it is wasted money. How many times should you buy the same thing just repainted anyway. I mean comparing it to Sims 2 and 3 says that's exactly what you want. Well personally i am glad they are different and if I want to play those versions for what ever reason - well they are ready to play with a click on my pc already.

I play them now and then - but preferably I play the Sims 4.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited August 2019
    No it’s to late

I disagree with you 100 percent. Thank goodness i am far from being alone. It is not the Sims 2 or Sims 3 - they are all different games and should remain different. I paid hundreds of dollars for Sims 2, 3600 dollars for Sims 3, and the full prices of Sims 1 and this game - for that kind of money I do not expect the same game with just a new coat of paint. I do not expect to compare it either - if they are comparable you just repaid for the same game all over again. Why would you want to do that anyway?

On top of it I am ecstatic this version still has many more years to go of new content I very much look forward to. As long as it is different than all the rest - well it is money well invested to me - but when they copy the past games - it is wasted money. How many times should you buy the same thing just repainted anyway. I mean comparing it to Sims 2 and 3 says that's exactly what you want. Well personally i am glad they are different and if I want to play those versions for what ever reason - well they are ready to play with a click on my pc already.

Thats where we are different! In my vision The Sims 2 is a sequel of The Sims 1 with improvements. The Sims 3 is a sequel of The Sims 2 with improvements. And then The Sims 4 is a downgrade. I also paid every old series in this franchise but my vision is clearly another one. This game its called 4! By the logic I expected an improvement of The Sims 3. So its not the same game. The Sims 4 as we know today might be different also but for me its a big downgrade and I don't feel that I should pay for something worst. If they want to embrace that philosophy they better change the names tho. For me 4 is an indicator of successor not what we have right now. Having only the base game is something that I regret till today. No way I will pay a lot in thousands of dlc for an empty downgrade version of the franshise.

Post edited by Renato10 on
    edited August 2019
    No it’s to late
    More than ever - it is basically going the way I was hoping it would go - for a change. Longer shelf life - a more relaxed style - the way I play actually matters in Sims 4 - so i feel supported and not controlled by game mechanics.

I don't want my game playing itself like a lot of the past series controlls were - I like this style where the choices are all mine - even if it offers some controlled game aspects - as minor as they are I am not compelled to follow them or find a way around them. The option is fully my own without mods or cheats. Love that.

I do wish phones were optional - though.
    I don’t quite see how the predecessors played themselves tbh, I never feel Sims 3 makes actual choices for me? I get suggestions, but I can always disobey or not follow. Or..., what do you mean by that?

Though I fully appreciate for some players it’s enough to have a game that is basically a storytelling tool (I believe you’re a writer?), it’s not what a game should be about. Because many players are not writers. They love to use the game to tell stories, because it’s perfect for that (I still do that actually, even though I’m not a writer and even though hardly anyone actually reads what I write anymore, I just love to do it, it gives my simming experience depth somehow, a background), but in the first place they need the game to be enjoyable as a game. So while I fully appreciate this set up works for you (and for others who don’t need much interesting input, interesting being a key word here, because the interesting input comes from their own brain, which is a talent), you can’t expect it to be like that for other players. There must be more to a game than just a few characters with expressive animations that are all over the place and houses they can live in.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited August 2019
    No it’s to late
    No. They make enough money with this iteration if we have to believe them, so why would they even bother giving us quality content and fix the game? People buy it anyway, so why would they care?

There isn't a simple fix for this game a bug patch can resolve. The core of this game is fundamentally broken from the beginning. So, in order to fix the game, they basically have to redo the whole core, which they will not do in a million years. That's what you get for pushing it into 'Online only' and realizing halfway development that it isn't going to work.

I cannot wait to find out what they will axe out as an experiment in The Sims 5. (Because you know it; less work = more profit. (At least it seems like it!).
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited August 2019
    I don’t know i hope so

I wish I can change mine too as I see Sims 4 is more of fluff and I am not holding back on my judgement of the program for it is what it is. An big ball of confusion. In the beginning when the EP(GP) was being hyped I was intrigued and thought it would be as good as GT and after release saw it was sorely lacking GT is safe in my standing. For me it is neighborhoods being sold and not even getting an free neighborhood here and there as the last free Neighborhood was given some years ago. Back to IL I no longer am intrigued and I will wait and pay an low price for it and hopefully get it for$4.99 like I did before.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    edited August 2019
    I don’t know i hope so
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    No. They make enough money with this iteration if we have to believe them, so why would they even bother giving us quality content and fix the game? People buy it anyway, so why would they care?

There isn't a simple fix for this game a bug patch can resolve. The core of this game is fundamentally broken from the beginning. So, in order to fix the game, they basically have to redo the whole core, which they will not do in a million years. That's what you get for pushing it into 'Online only' and realizing halfway development that it isn't going to work.

I cannot wait to find out what they will axe out as an experiment in The Sims 5. (Because you know it; less work = more profit. (At least it seems like it!).

Exactly and it gets more breaking as the bugs build up and now you have an Sims 3 situation that some was complaining about with Sims 3. Instead of piling on the packs put the packs on hiatus and fix the bugs from base game to present.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited August 2019
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

Exactly and it gets more breaking as the bugs built up and now you have an Sims 3 situation that some was complaining about with Sims 3. Instead of piling on the packs put the packs on hiatus and fix the bugs from base game to present.

Right now, there are a crazy amount of bugs in the game, and it’s really inexcusable for all of the cuts in gameplay they’ve made. It’s affecting many people, not just on the forums, as I see people complain about bugs on the subreddit often, too.

I tried booting the game up recently and my Sim just wouldn’t move at all. All he wanted to do was stare at the dog. It’s frustrating, and there’s no sense in playing if the game isn’t going to let me enjoy the basic gameplay that every other Sims game has been able to provide. My Sims in TS2 never freeze, and they move along their queues insanely fast.
    edited August 2019

If that was the actual case no one would have a good running game. I know more people, mostly computer nerd types like me, who play this game as trouble free as I do without hardly any problems out side of a few things - like the food stealing in restaurants which is an actual bug - but the core game is not broken when not everyone encounters the same issue. A true bug cannot be completely tweaked out no matter how computer savvy one is. The only problem I see in Sims 4 is the fact I cannot just go in and tweak the game itself like I could in many places in Sims 2 and 3. Sims 4 is like they made Sims 1 - made the worlds basically unreachable to the gamer and the only way to mess with them was via making mods instead of allowing us to actually fix them to eliminate issues.

Like in Sims 3 I could not tweak out bad routing in a map (Maxis would not share their CAW files was the reason) (the most you could do is mod it to go around the problem - not fix it - but eventually I found a way around that) and then I had to fix the bad routing in the map or the problem still existed - and it created bugs. Once I repaired my maps in Sims 3 - wallah all bugs vanished to do with routing in my game.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2019
    No it’s to late

I sort of don't understand your logic. We have paid for the same game four times now and all with just a different paint slapped onto them. They all got Pets, Seasons, etc. Yes, each version puts a different spin on the packs they include, but even TS1 had weather, remember we could make it rain on our gardens? Each one has redone the same packs each time, four times now, yes, some of them added packs we hadn't seen before, but the bulk of this series has always been a repeat of the same packs people want, like University, Pets, Seasons, some sort of fame, and some sort of amusement parks etc. It's not like TS4 has brought anything new to the series. It's taken some side steps with packs like SV, but that's not really new to The Sims as a whole, the spin off games did that, too, create a linear story and have players play it out by hand holding direction. So, no TS4 hasn't done anything new and amazing yet. It has left out and spared many features in the other packs people wanted. It may have been the best toddlers ever, but players had to wait three years for that, and refused to buy anymore until they saw them. I would hate players have to wait three more (eight) to see cars.

Everything done in the last twenty years with this series is the same game, just repainted. And I think we all know it. It's just that some like one repaint better than another. But then there are some who with each iteration say the current game they are playing is the best, until the next one.

ETA: There is nothing about TS4 that couldn't have been added to TS2 or TS3. Nothing.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    edited August 2019
    Cinebar wrote: »

I sort of don't understand your logic. We have paid for the same game four times now and all with just a different paint slapped onto them. They all got Pets, Seasons, etc. Yes, each version puts a different spin on the packs they include, but even TS1 had weather, remember we could make it rain on our gardens? Each one has redone the same packs each time, four times now, yes, some of them added packs we hadn't seen before, but the bulk of this series has always been a repeat of the same packs people want, like University, Pets, Seasons, some sort of fame, and some sort of amusement parks etc. It's not like TS4 has brought anything new to the series. It's taken some side steps with packs like SV, but that's not really new to The Sims as a whole, the spin off games did that, too, create a linear story and have players play it out by hand holding direction. So, no TS4 hasn't done anything new and amazing yet. It has left out and spared many features in the other packs people wanted. It may have been the best toddlers ever, but players had to wait three years for that, and refused to buy anymore until they saw them. I would hate players have to wait three more (eight) to see cars.

Everything done in the last twenty years with this series is the same game, just repainted. And I think we all know it. It's just that some like one repaint better than another. But then there are some who with each iteration say the current game they are playing is the best, until the next one.

ETA: There is nothing about TS4 that couldn't have been added to TS2 or TS3. Nothing.

Wrong - different game engine - different programming and programmers skill-set- different apps and other software (different versions of Maya for instance) - different machine languages - just for starters. Building games does not work like that. Things in this game did not exist in those games because all the above was different. This game even has hand made, designed, and freehand painted worlds not pre-style type software maps - there is little about the Sims 4 that actually resembles previous designs and each of those were as different from each other as this one is from them.

Just the complexity alone in what was available for building games 15 -25 years ago to now is mind boggling.

There are things I used to tinker with - design and such 15- 20 - 25 years ago - I would not even attempt to touch now a days. The old days it was time consuming but a lot was doable - that I would not even attempt now a days.... I am not talking about on a pro level either - far from it.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited August 2019
    No it’s to late

Wrong - different game engine - different programming and programmers skill-set- different apps and other software (different versions of Maya for instance) - different machine languages - just for starters. Building games does not work like that. Things in this game did not exist in those games because all the above was different. This game even has hand made, designed, and freehand painted worlds not pre-style type software maps - there is little about the Sims 4 that actually resembles previous designs and each of those were as different from each other as this one is from them.

Just the complexity alone in what was available for building games 15 -25 years ago to now is mind boggling.

There are things I used to tinker with - design and such 15- 20 - 25 years ago - I would not even attempt to touch now a days. The old days it was time consuming but a lot was doable - that I would not even attempt now a days.... I am not talking about on a pro level either - far from it.
    Is that’s the reason why the player isn’t allowed to adjust anything about it? If so, give me the old engines anytime.

ETA: this thought popped up in my game programming dummy ignorant mind, ready to be refuted, but @sawdust confirms it with their reaction. That!
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited August 2019
    I don’t know i hope so
    sawdust wrote: »

How on earth does any of that make a difference for players? Might be great for programmers but doesn't make a plum bit of difference for players if we're not getting the depth of game play we want. Once again all you are proving is Sims 4 is a game designed to look pretty. Meh! I prefer to look at my Elder Scrolls or Witcher 3 thanks if all I want to do is look at a game. At least with ESO I get beautiful artwork to look at while I'm in a loading screen. Sims 4 gives me a plum plumbob that now hurts my eyes with the new glinting. It's like a slowly revolving glitter ball. Ouch!

I've tried to love this game but I'm done with it and if Bioware let me down with the next Dragon Age, I'll be done with EA and Origin. :)

I agree as gameplay is just as important as some desktop graphics. I paid good money to play and not stare at some graphics say "ohh and awww" do have desktop apps for that. :)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    No it’s to late

They could have added emotional buffs and emotional deaths to TS3. It's a buff system. TS2 and TS3 both have multitasking which works smoothly and doesn't stop or start an activity but happens at the same time. I can see how starting and stopping and that 'timer' might have actually harmed TS2 and TS3's multitasking but I think with more time for coding they could have added even more than those two games already have. Pushing, pulling rooms in TS4 is in TS3, maybe not as fancy and objects aren't preserved if you pull on the room however, it's there, and with more time to work on it instead of three EPs a year, I think they could have added it to TS3. Just refined TS3's pulling rooms etc. So, there is nothing that was sold as unique to TS4 that couldn't have been added to TS2 or TS3 but probably worked better in TS3 because it already had some of those build options. We have been dragging a box as a whole since 2004, maybe others overlooked that.