Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Did You Know Thread On Island Living

Comments

• February11February11 Posts: 12,645 Member
    This maybe is not a 'Did you know?' but more of an observation.
    Mermaids spend 100% of their time swimming. They neglect their children, careers etc and just swim in the ocean. It is very frustrating. So frustrating in fact that I reverted my mermaid back into a human. I think there should be a patch to address this 'flaw'.

Thanks for thee warning! :o
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    A first for me - my Sim was swimming home after having been scuba-diving when she got yanked underwater. I though it was a shark and she was a goner, but she popped back up again a few seconds later with this moodlet:
    3tTlXSn.png
    So something lurks in the waters...
    A first for me - my Sim was swimming home after having been scuba-diving when she got yanked underwater. I though it was a shark and she was a goner, but she popped back up again a few seconds later with this moodlet:
    3tTlXSn.png
    So something lurks in the waters...

:o another warning! Thank you!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    @loubyloulou that's actually the result of the mermaid ability 'summon deep ocean threat'. the good news is it will never kill a sim, no matter what. it always resets their energy level to -40.5 (out of the range of -100 to 100 for needs), whether the sim is at 100 or -99 energy, it gets reset to the same -40.5

the other 'evil' mermaid power, 'siren's call', lowers every need of a sim to -70 while also bringing all the needs of the mermaid to near full. so is actually quite handy, if you're feeling mischievous
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    kalaksed wrote: »
    @loubyloulou that's actually the result of the mermaid ability 'summon deep ocean threat'. the good news is it will never kill a sim, no matter what. it always resets their energy level to -40.5 (out of the range of -100 to 100 for needs), whether the sim is at 100 or -99 energy, it gets reset to the same -40.5

the other 'evil' mermaid power, 'siren's call', lowers every need of a sim to -70 while also bringing all the needs of the mermaid to near full. so is actually quite handy, if you're feeling mischievous

It can happen without mermaids to regular sims. I've been told it's the Kraken.
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    @catloverplayer it is the kraken, but that specific moodlet the sim has should be from a mermaid using the ability on them, which is why it mentions mermaids in the description (i'm guessing mermaids with high mischief skill would do that on their own, but haven't had one around long enough to check. mean ones might, too, but none have in my game yet. at least, not to my played sims)

the kraken is also what shows up to kill a sim after they've had their shark warnings for the day. same big shadow under the sim, same tentacle thought bubble over their head and everything. but, in that case, i have yet to have a sim survive after they're dragged under
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    kalaksed wrote: »

Wow, I had no idea NPC mermaids could do that autonomously :o I didn't even know there was one in the area :#
  • shokoroseshokorose Posts: 66 Member
    Don’t know is has been mentioned but I sent my toddler to play in the ocean. His father autonomously stopped what he was doing and went out to “watch his child.” I got a kick out of that. What a sweet touch.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    Not sure if this is the right place ... I usually play with rain snow off and a 28 day summer and since Island Living came out I am actually playing with if I remember correctly 7 day seasons and weather effects on. I started a new save in spring when Island Living launched. Now it's fall in Sulani and the weather is frightful. lol
    Last night while playing and the thunder crash and the flash of lighting made me jump out of my chair. Experiencing weather in the game for the first time was not a great experience for me. The kids freaked out and the toddlers woke up.
    Here's where I stopped playing last night. The toddlers were cold and sad so I put a thermostat on the wall and had the mom turn it on. I got everyone back into bed then boom crash and the mom woke up red hot (temperature hot) but her twin toddlers were sad and freezing again even after I put them into winter clothing.
    To solve the mom problem I just bought her a couple of the weather related traits. I got the storm chaser trait for the kids but what to do about the toddlers. They have days until they are kids.
    Okay so NOW ... Today I tried to play. It's raining 2 days now. The mom is still uncomfortably hot and I still had sad freezing toddlers. I had had them all spend the day (Sunday) in Willow Creek park where it was not raining. Everyone was fine in winter clothes. They played and fished all day. Toddlers maxed movement and learned how to talk. As soon as they got home and made their way into the house mom went red hot and the toddlers got sad and cold.
    What am I missing or doing wrong? Thinking about just going back to my 28 day summer thing with weather effects off. Laughing at myself about freaking out about a rain storm and worrying about my Sims all day at work. To bummed to play because the game is not working right or me not seeing the solution.
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited August 2019
    AnnLee87 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right place ... I usually play with rain snow off and a 28 day summer and since Island Living came out I am actually playing with if I remember correctly 7 day seasons and weather effects on. I started a new save in spring when Island Living launched. Now it's fall in Sulani and the weather is frightful. lol
    Last night while playing and the thunder crash and the flash of lighting made me jump out of my chair. Experiencing weather in the game for the first time was not a great experience for me. The kids freaked out and the toddlers woke up.
    Here's where I stopped playing last night. The toddlers were cold and sad so I put a thermostat on the wall and had the mom turn it on. I got everyone back into bed then boom crash and the mom woke up red hot (temperature hot) but her twin toddlers were sad and freezing again even after I put them into winter clothing.
    To solve the mom problem I just bought her a couple of the weather related traits. I got the storm chaser trait for the kids but what to do about the toddlers. They have days until they are kids.
    Okay so NOW ... Today I tried to play. It's raining 2 days now. The mom is still uncomfortably hot and I still had sad freezing toddlers. I had had them all spend the day (Sunday) in Willow Creek park where it was not raining. Everyone was fine in winter clothes. They played and fished all day. Toddlers maxed movement and learned how to talk. As soon as they got home and made their way into the house mom went red hot and the toddlers got sad and cold.
    What am I missing or doing wrong? Thinking about just going back to my 28 day summer thing with weather effects off. Laughing at myself about freaking out about a rain storm and worrying about my Sims all day at work. To bummed to play because the game is not working right or me not seeing the solution.

I personally love the weather effects, especially the Monsoon in Sulani. But it sounds like you have a glitch and/ or the 7 day season is causing issues. I never play less than a two week season because I read complaints early on after Seasons was released saying that the 1 week season was too fast and intense in weather. In my Sulani winter it rains about 40% of the time which isn’t too bad stretched out over two weeks. It was still warm during the days, and cool at night (with one or two exceptions—it was cold during the Monsoons).

For your family’s temperature issues, try having the mother drink honey (if you have bees) as it removes “too hot” and “too cold” buffs. Since the thermostat doesn’t seem to be working, maybe buy a fireplace. When they are cold your toddlers may go and play in front of it (mine do and they get a cozy fire happy buff too). Oh and have you tried repairing the game? Sometimes that fixes issues for me. Just recently I had a sim refuse to stay in bed and sleep even when exhausted and with no music in the room. I repaired the game and he was back to normal.

AnnLee87 wrote: »

Any mods or cc?
  • iliekponieziliekponiez Posts: 455 Member
    Get invited to a dance party in Windenburg only to find out it's raining? Bring your mermaid along to clear the skies! :smiley:
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    shokorose wrote: »
    Don’t know is has been mentioned but I sent my toddler to play in the ocean. His father autonomously stopped what he was doing and went out to “watch his child.” I got a kick out of that. What a sweet touch.

Yes, this happened in my game, even with autonomy off. Even though nothing can actually happen to toddlers, leaving them alone in the ocean would be rather irreponsible.

When my toddler aged up, I sent her to swim in the ocean for exercise. Poor kid got thallassphobia... .
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • ApricusApricus Posts: 672 Member
    Every once in a while, a social event takes place where neighbors bring extra food.
    ZjzmtTb.jpg
  • dilara162dilara162 Posts: 4 New Member
    I dont know if anyone mentioned but my sim just got “caught in current” in the ocean!! She dragged in water and waved her arms. It is very interesting for me :smile:
    dilara162 wrote: »
    I dont know if anyone mentioned but my sim just got “caught in current” in the ocean!! She dragged in water and waved her arms. It is very interesting for me :smile:

I think I've heard that can happen, but I've never had it happen to any of my sims - yet!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • kolosrecekolosrece Posts: 22 Member
    In the Origin for ISLAND LIVING Create A Sim Items section I found a face tattoo

link: eaassets-a.akamaihd.net/content.ts4/config/web/ep07/3c1af1f2-00000002-00036ed5.jpg

But does anyone know why I can't find it in the game? :)
  • WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    kolosrece wrote: »
    In the Origin for ISLAND LIVING Create A Sim Items section I found a face tattoo

link: eaassets-a.akamaihd.net/content.ts4/config/web/ep07/3c1af1f2-00000002-00036ed5.jpg

Woah, are you serious? It looks so cool! Now I'm disappointed we can't find and use it in-game, I was just lamenting the lack of face tattoos in the game.
    I've never seen a face tattoo, but one would be good.
    MLgj4Vx.png
    edited March 2020

Prehaps it's being added in the Next Update. The link isnt working if it was I could link it to the gurus on Twitter and ask.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    If your Sim sunbathes in the nude, they'll remain nude and go about their routine that way until you change their outfit manually. Eloy kicked off a Conservationist "work from home" day with a tanning session on the big vacant lot in Mua Pel'am. Here he goes, off to survey wildlife!

78CIVcS.png

Prehaps it's being added in the Next Update. The link isnt working if it was I could link it to the gurus on Twitter and ask.

It does if you copy the the link without Link: at the beginning'
    https://ibb.co/P1pxcm8
    Try that one.
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • kolosrecekolosrece Posts: 22 Member
    [quote="catloverplayer;c-17433866"][quote="kolosrece;c-17398852"]In the Origin for ISLAND LIVING Create A Sim Items section I found a face tattoo

But does anyone know why I can't find it in the game? :)[/quote]

Prehaps it's being added in the Next Update. The link isnt working if it was I could link it to the gurus on Twitter and ask.[/quote]

Did you ask gurus, what they said?
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    The ladders that came with Island Living, they’re placeable by us right? Can someone do me a favor and look? I play with CC and for some reason the ladders are listed as modded and they shouldn’t be and I wonder if it’s a glitch of some sort.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,376 Member
    The ladders that came with Island Living, they’re placeable by us right? Can someone do me a favor and look? I play with CC and for some reason the ladders are listed as modded and they shouldn’t be and I wonder if it’s a glitch of some sort.

Yes, they are placeable.