Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Looking Forward To the End Of TS4

Comments

• KLAlexisKLAlexis Posts: 472 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    KLAlexis wrote: »
    I've only had the free base for a little over a month now and Im already contemplating if I should delete it. I've still been playing, but most of the time it feels like a chore to play rather than a desire. Yeah there are some nice things about The Sims 4 but imo it doesnt outweigh the bad.

The new things in sims 4 get old really fast imo. Likewise, I found it cute that kids would wake up to get their parents to spray under their bed for the monster. But, after the 4th day in a row it gets tiring. And bless your soul if you have more than 2 kids like I do (I have 6). There were monsters every night before I got that nite light.

Same thing with the toddlers waking parents/siblings up lots of times for no reason. I do find hugging cute but can they hug after they are done eating.

This is why I truly wonder if they have enough, or anyone at EA, actually play-testing these features. Does anyone play the game and think, "Hmm, this was a nice concept, but this just isn't fun"?

I usually would not generalize, but I am more than sure the majority of Simmers x out those cellphone notifications that pop up every other hour with annoying invites to parties and whatnot.

I'm just really convinced these developers don't actually play their own game. I get a completely different vibe from The Sims 2, where the majority of its gameplay systems and features all molded together, were fun, and just made sense. It genuinely felt like the developers play-tested features before shipping them to determine whether or not we would enjoy them.

Oh goodness, the cellphone problem. It'd be nice if we got the option to choose the age our sim gets a cellphone. Sometimes I just dont want my kid sim to have one, or maybe I'd like to take away his/her phone rights if they act up. Or, maybe I want to create a story where my sim grew up in a household with no electronics. The Sims 4 has such a restriction on freedom for the player imo. I wouldve liked this option in Sim 3 as well.

Hopefully, Sims 5 will surpass all of the past iterations.
    "The truth hurts, but lies kill"
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    KLAlexis wrote: »
    I've only had the free base for a little over a month now and Im already contemplating if I should delete it. I've still been playing, but most of the time it feels like a chore to play rather than a desire. Yeah there are some nice things about The Sims 4 but imo it doesnt outweigh the bad.

The new things in sims 4 get old really fast imo. Likewise, I found it cute that kids would wake up to get their parents to spray under their bed for the monster. But, after the 4th day in a row it gets tiring. And bless your soul if you have more than 2 kids like I do (I have 6). There were monsters every night before I got that nite light.

Same thing with the toddlers waking parents/siblings up lots of times for no reason. I do find hugging cute but can they hug after they are done eating.

This is why I truly wonder if they have enough, or anyone at EA, actually play-testing these features. Does anyone play the game and think, "Hmm, this was a nice concept, but this just isn't fun"?

I usually would not generalize, but I am more than sure the majority of Simmers x out those cellphone notifications that pop up every other hour with annoying invites to parties and whatnot.

I'm just really convinced these developers don't actually play their own game. I get a completely different vibe from The Sims 2, where the majority of its gameplay systems and features all molded together, were fun, and just made sense. It genuinely felt like the developers play-tested features before shipping them to determine whether or not we would enjoy them.

Oh no you are not generalizing as you did not say everyone and yes I am so sick of those phone notifications that I just do not pay attention to them. I wish I could choose an option to turn off phone texts like I can with my RL phone by going into the contacts and silence them that way.

When I first played sims 4 I found the silent button... I'm not sure the game knows what silent means. A turn off phone button would be really nice since all real phones have one.. Or how about a charge phone option. If it dies it dies.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited July 2019
    I'm sure in TS2 days they actually played the game and were actually really passionates of the game (only saying that they are passionates but giving us trash dlcs like that just says the opposite for me). Just by seeing how stories were made within sims in neighborhoods and every memory they had it's clear for me that they played the game before selling it.
    During the first Sul Sul podcast, Lyndsay went on and on about the details they put into the game, and how she set up each and every story and plot, and all of that stuff. She sounded so happy as she talked about it all, too.
    The Sims 2 and all of its expansions shipped with pre-made Sims that were both new to the series, and some that had their stories carried over from The Sims 1. There was no lazy route taken, like with The Sims 4, and this whole "alternate universe." To me, that just translates to, "we didn't care."

All of The Sims 2's pre-mades were created with pre-existing memories, relationships, and extended family trees. The Sims 4 did not even have family trees upon arrival, and even now, they're cramped in a tiny window with very limited viewing and information.

It's just a glaring, night and day difference from passion then to passion now.
    To be fair, I can get behind the fresh start Sims 4 had with stories. As it stood, you had three games' worth of plotlines and characters, and you'd be expected to continue them further. That'd be very intimidating for newcomers, who wouldn't know or be invested in that much lore.

But I agree that most Sims 4 sims are incredibly shallow. I can get a lack of memories, since that can become a nightmare. But it still baffles me how we still lack individual character bios - a feature that's been in the games since Sims 1. It was the biggest tool for fleshing out a sim's personality, feelings, interests and backstory. That's why so few Sims nowadays are memorable, outside of Vlad. (Who has tons of lore told through books and items, has family on the Gallery, trailers, and interactions with other characters. AKA things most Sims don't have.)
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    Let's be realistic for a second here. Which part of the feedback & suggestions forum has The Sims Studio taken in and implemented into the game? How much have they fixed or taken our feedback/ideas and placed it in a DLC?
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    The spreadsheet fire sales and giveaways have in the past served them well in terms of helping to make the next quarterly report appear nice and healthy. Now they are going to have to turn their attention to making the next quarterly report appear nice and healthy.

The giveaway that they did would be a good dual-purpose tool in that regard - when the old players have bought everything there is to buy on the old spreadsheet fire sales, you need a new batch of people who haven't yet done that. So it sets up a new round of spreadsheet fire sales in case they need to push some units fast. Sort of a failsafe within a failsafe. At the very least, it can buy them some time numbers-wise.

It will be interesting to see what they will do if their strategy doesn't bank as well as they seem to be counting on. If the new round of players finds themselves less than enthused, the company will at some point have to come up with new reporting strategies. And that in and of itself will only take them so far. When so much indirect terminology is used so often instead of actual dollars and cents, it just doesn't look good for the franchise at all.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    I'm sure in TS2 days they actually played the game and were actually really passionates of the game (only saying that they are passionates but giving us trash dlcs like that just says the opposite for me). Just by seeing how stories were made within sims in neighborhoods and every memory they had it's clear for me that they played the game before selling it.
    During the first Sul Sul podcast, Lyndsay went on and on about the details they put into the game, and how she set up each and every story and plot, and all of that stuff. She sounded so happy as she talked about it all, too.
    The Sims 2 and all of its expansions shipped with pre-made Sims that were both new to the series, and some that had their stories carried over from The Sims 1. There was no lazy route taken, like with The Sims 4, and this whole "alternate universe." To me, that just translates to, "we didn't care."

All of The Sims 2's pre-mades were created with pre-existing memories, relationships, and extended family trees. The Sims 4 did not even have family trees upon arrival, and even now, they're cramped in a tiny window with very limited viewing and information.

It's just a glaring, night and day difference from passion then to passion now.
    To be fair, I can get behind the fresh start Sims 4 had with stories. As it stood, you had three games' worth of plotlines and characters, and you'd be expected to continue them further. That'd be very intimidating for newcomers, who wouldn't know or be invested in that much lore.

But I agree that most Sims 4 sims are incredibly shallow. I can get a lack of memories, since that can become a nightmare. But it still baffles me how we still lack individual character bios - a feature that's been in the games since Sims 1. It was the biggest tool for fleshing out a sim's personality, feelings, interests and backstory. That's why so few Sims nowadays are memorable, outside of Vlad. (Who has tons of lore told through books and items, has family on the Gallery, trailers, and interactions with other characters. AKA things most Sims don't have.)
    Not so much intimidating, but as a newcomer myself in 2009, I really couldn’t care less about Bella Goth and Mrs. Crumplebottom etc. I like the backgroundstories, but afaic they don’t have to match with earlier versions. Like, I feel more connection with characters like The Pancakes than with the Goths, just because I think they’re more interesting. For me stories from past iterations don’t necessarily need to be carried over. That includes characters that were introduced to Sims 3 by the way. They belong to Sims 3 for me.
    5JZ57S6.png
    Hestia wrote: »
    Let's be realistic for a second here. Which part of the feedback & suggestions forum has The Sims Studio taken in and implemented into the game? How much have they fixed or taken our feedback/ideas and placed it in a DLC?
    I think they did use ideas from the old Toddler topic, to be fair.
    5JZ57S6.png

EA: "No comment"
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Unsurprisingly, underwhelming.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Unsurprisingly, underwhelming.
    You think so? I never played Sims 4 toddlers long enough to have a thorough opinion, but I love their animations and their options look promising, fun. Giving them actual personalities.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Okay I've removed some off topic arguing from in here. Keep it civil and on topic please.
    @JoAnne65 Sims 4 definitely hands down has the best *toddlers* and CAS. That isn’t enough for me to praise the game on the same level as let’s say, what The Sims 2 had. I’ve been playing this franchise ever since The Sims 1 released way back when I was still in elementary school. I was so immersed even with the base game. It was unique and innovating. Next comes The Sims 2, which blew my mind even more. Imagine how great it was with all those expansions vs The Sims 4 in its current state.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I was going through reddit and I just found out that (neat) sims in TS2 can clean freaking windows.

v7tv0cuakod31.png

The amount of detail in TS2 still manages to impress me so many years after. TS4 could never.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    edited August 2019
    @JoAnne65 Sims 4 definitely hands down has the best *toddlers* and CAS. That isn’t enough for me to praise the game on the same level as let’s say, what The Sims 2 had. I’ve been playing this franchise ever since The Sims 1 released way back when I was still in elementary school. I was so immersed even with the base game. It was unique and innovating. Next comes The Sims 2, which blew my mind even more. Imagine how great it was with all those expansions vs The Sims 4 in its current state.
    Ah, yes, we're in the same boat there (though for me it's Sims 3, I missed Sims 2 somehow). My problem with the toddlers actually is that because they're so well done and have their own personalities, I miss it even more their parents don't. I followed the topic about toddlers that was very active 2014-2017, agreeing with the fact that if telemetry showed we never played with toddlers that much, the cause might very well be that they were not really enjoyable and could be improved. And I really have the impression in that specific case they did listen and developed the best toddlers to date.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2019
    Does anyone know if the end of Adobe Flash (ends support and no longer can install effective Oct. 2019) will affect this game? I play a lot of older games on discs and sometimes they require I update Flash (which usually had an update every month or so) or will that just affect browser games? And or videos like The Sims over on Youtube? etc.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the end of Adobe Flash (ends support and no longer can install effective Oct. 2019) will affect this game? I play a lot of older games on discs and sometimes they require I update Flash (which usually had an update every month or so) or will that just affect browser games? And or videos like The Sims over on Youtube? etc.

Adobe will be discontinuing support for Flash in 2020. Adobe has encouraged those who use Flash on their websites to begin converting to other newer formats such as HTML5. Many popular browsers such as Chrome, Microsoft Edge and Safari have already been blocking Flash by default, but in 2020 all support will officially end.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/07/25/flash_nahuh_internets_screen_door_gone_for_good_by_2020/

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

YouTube uses HTML5, which is now the standard for web-based content, and works fine with the latest versions of every browser.

Older games that were built using flash will always require flash, even after Adobe ends support. I’m sure Adobe/external sites will still offer the last version of Flash, but over time, I believe it’ll be a bit annoying to get those older Flash games working.

Also, as far as The Sims, you’ll have no problem running any of them without flash. The only issue you’ll have is with The Sims 3’s launcher, which uses several modules with flash (I think the advertisement portions). It should still work though.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2019

Probably as that time looms closer - at least makers of some of the older flash games may come up with other ways to activate them. I know one of the educations games places is already talking about ways how their older games will keep working. It most likely won't help with You tube - but for games yes...

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    Renato10 wrote: »
    Simanite wrote: »
    Some people might be offended by this, but TS4 really seems to have become less of a life simulator, and more of an LGBT-panderer. And this is coming from a gay Simmer.

Im also gay and I agree. The Sims 4 gave us no gender barriers wich is awsome but aside that everything related is unnecessary. Not only lgbt but all of political aspects of life. The Sims was always a world of freedom where real life problems weren't focused. I used to play to forget about real world for a moment but theres little things now that are totally contradictory to that.

I'm pretty sure one of the key reasons they did it, was so that they didn't have to make more outfits just for male sims... Allows them to reuse existing content and costs them nothing.
    raw
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    Some people might be offended by this, but TS4 really seems to have become less of a life simulator, and more of an LGBT-panderer. And this is coming from a gay Simmer.

Same, and same lol
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • tadeoalonso2tadeoalonso2 Posts: 35 Member
    @Renato10 Im not a gay man, can you please elaborate on that? Because it doesnt make much sense. Like you're practically saying that most of the DLC and updates they release are supposed to appeal to the LGBT community and I dont see it
  • Vivi_WillowTreeVivi_WillowTree Posts: 451 Member
    I am looking forward to the end of this as well. The only thing I hope they do is fix everything before they abandon the game entirely, no more repeats of the disaster that the end of TS3 was.

As for comparison with all the games, I would also agree that TS4 isn't the next iteration that 1-3 was. To me it feels like it's own game revamped to get new players.

If they do make a sims 5 I hope the go back to their roots and stick to what everyone loved about the previous sims 1-3 games.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member

Realistically? Many. Some of the toddler details are only the beginning. I can only speak to the things I've actually seen requested but here are some of them:

Vampires. I personally requested almost everything in that pack. I asked for the ability to create a variety of Vampires from Nosferatu to classic Dracula, and a variety of vampire powers to choose from. I asked for a Victorian theme in a dark, misty town, wilted plants, gargoyles, cobblestone streets and black iron gates. I asked for run down buildings and old gravestones. The only thing I didn't get was a Fear emotion, which I continue to ask for because it's important and never should have been left out in the first place.

Laundry. There were a bazillion threads requesting laundry so that, after the community vote, some people thought it was rigged to please the people who wanted it.

Terrain tools. Should have been there from the beginning, but people definitely asked for them.

Seasons, Pets, etc. The usual.

Diversity. Especially in hair styles. We've been consistently getting more diverse styles in not only clothing and hair, but skin tones and location settings.

Trait randomizer. I also personally made a thread last year to request this and we got it this year.

Mermaids. Not a personal Occult preference, but there were threads requesting them as well as swimmable oceans, which has been officially reported to be something they are now trying to accomplish in current worlds. So far, Sims can wade.

Door swatches. For real, people were requesting this. Recently patched in.

More toddler stuff. We got Toddlers Stuff.

Bees and bee keeping. I was surprised to see the amount of people who requested this during the Community Pack votes. It was wanted in an "Off the Grid" stuff pack. Which reminds me...

An Off the Grid lot trait. Recently patched in.

A Veterinarian career. Came with Cats and Dogs.

These are just off the top of my head. I know there are many more, and from the sounds of the announcements, more to come. (ie Realm of Magic - Witches.) Now, whether you or anyone else actually enjoys these things or not, is a different matter. But there are many, many requests, and yes, many of those do get fulfilled. Two specific things from me personally, plus, Realm of Magic may very well be a third if they utilized any of my ideas, but that's to be determined. Ninja told me he thinks I've been wanting this since Vampires, so he remembers.

It helps to actually be respectful when making requests, and to be specific about what you want in the game. Also, not lumping every request together but separating them into appropriate topics in the ideas/feedback forum and inviting others to add their ideas helps expand the possibilities. It's true most of the time, you won't get exactly every thing you want, because there are a lot of people to consider and please, so you have to be flexible and open minded. But I've found that it does require more constructive and calm, detailed, courteous feedback. It's also realistic to keep in mind that they will also take creative liberties because that's their job.
    #Team Occult
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top