Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA CEO on TS4: FY2020 will be the biggest year in terms of content release

Comments

• Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    And once again, all that money will surely not be invested in The Sims!
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member

It covers the loss of Anthem...
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    edited August 2019

They invest more in the game than most people seem to think :D A lot of people are shocked to find out EA has like 200 people working on TS4.

It makes me laugh when some people seem to think EA only has like 30 developers working on this game. Even if each developer costs $200k a year, 30 developers would still only cost EA a measly $6 million a year in development cost. That's laughably low for a game that makes EA $300-400 million a year.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
    elelunicy wrote: »

They invest more in the game than most people seem to think :D A lot of people are shocked to find out EA has like 200 people working on TS4.

It makes me laugh when some people seem to think EA only has like 30 developers working on this game. Even if each developer costs $200k a year, 30 developers would still only cost EA a measly $6 million a year in development cost. That's laughably low for a game that makes EA $300-400 million a year.

I'm not a professional in games but I'm sure the designers, the marketing team and all the ''back up'' teams are in this 200 people, so at the end there is not many people left who actually work on the gameplay. I mean we can see it just by seeing how empty was the latest EP, *cough* I meant GP.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member

I'm not a professional in games but I'm sure the designers, the marketing team and all the ''back up'' teams are in this 200 people, so at the end there is not many people left who actually work on the gameplay. I mean we can see it just by seeing how empty was the latest EP, *cough* I meant GP.

I feel the same, it does not feel like the quality of the latest packs show a large investment in gameplay, maybe that is instead reflected in the quantity of the packs or other things, i dunno. It's hard to know where the money goes... For me it feels like they are focusing on making as much money as fast as possible.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    edited August 2019

From what we've been told, no, that 200 is development & design. Marketing is a completely separate department within EA. The 200 also is just employees at Maxis, IIRC, and wouldn't include any work that's contracted out, as is normal at most scales in the industry. Plus keep in mind that salaries of people working immediately on product creation are far from the only expense there is. Plus, like it or not, gaming isn't a nonprofit industry done out of the good of someone's heart. Companies that don't make more than they spend don't keep making games for us to play. Want a game to play? You're going to have to live with the fact that someone's going to profit or you'll run out of games, period.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    edited August 2019
    @elelunicy wrote: »

From "several hundred" to 200 developers I guess the investment was decreased.
    edited August 2019

From what we've been told, no, that 200 is development & design. Marketing is a completely separate department within EA. The 200 also is just employees at Maxis, IIRC, and wouldn't include any work that's contracted out, as is normal at most scales in the industry. Plus keep in mind that salaries of people working immediately on product creation are far from the only expense there is. Plus, like it or not, gaming isn't a nonprofit industry done out of the good of someone's heart. Companies that don't make more than they spend don't keep making games for us to play. Want a game to play? You're going to have to live with the fact that someone's going to profit or you'll run out of games, period.

It doesn't excuse the scummy way EA treats its consumers, other players and me can clearly see that all that money surely doesn't go into making this game. You maybe should watch this video. Also like I said, I'm not a professional in games, so your last provocation was completely not needed.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    Maybe they're just shaking the last crumbs out of the box, ready for a big announcement at the end of the year...
    Perhaps that 2020 will be the last full year of content as something even bigger might be arriving the year after? :wink:
    Fingers and toes crossed?
    fingers toes and eyes crossed

• PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Perhaps that 2020 will be the last full year of content as something even bigger might be arriving the year after? :wink:

They just started hiring people for something that is not confirmed to be TS5. It's too soon to announce anything for it.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited August 2019

They just started hiring people for something that is not confirmed to be TS5. It's too soon to announce anything for it.

Yes, they just started a year ago. xD

Anyways, I wouldn't expect anything until 2022. (How weird is it that we are going into the year 2022? Lol I feel like I'm in the future xD)
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member

Designers do work on gameplay. In fact, basically all gameplay needs to be designed by designers first, and then engineers can starting coding following the design documents wrote by designers (not all gameplay features require coding; a lot of gameplay features are made by designers only without needing any engineers).

All marketing people directly work for EA and they’re not part of Maxis. Even community managers like SimGuruDrake/SimGuruKate/SimGuruFrost, they also directly work for EA, and not part of Maxis. None of them count as developers.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
    edited August 2019
    Since 2017 they have been working on a new project so it's normal there are less developers for TS4.

Even The Sims Mobile team who joined them seems to do not increase that number.

SimGuruAzure is there but SimGuruRiley is missing.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member

Keep hope alive.
    Movotti wrote: »
    Maybe they're just shaking the last crumbs out of the box, ready for a big announcement at the end of the year...
    Fingers and toes crossed?

:D
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    Let's see if Updated Babies and Cars are part of the massive amount of quality content drops.

You never know... B)
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    if they are indeed using the money for the development of the sims5 i would not expect an annoucment till 2020 2021, so will wait and see
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Ooooooooooooooooooooooo
    funny-gifs20.gif

• catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    if they are indeed using the money for the development of the sims5 i would not expect an annoucment till 2020 2021, so will wait and see

I don't even expect a TS5 announcement in 2020. Maybe late 2021 or 2022.
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member

kinda sorta.

the revenue they're taking in has to cover the sims 4, but also has to cover whatever game they have in development right now that grant was moved onto. they're hiring a lot of people right now so now they have to budget for a game that will probably be in development for 3 years thats 3 years of salary that need to be paid for until the release of the game brings in more revenue.

and of course, this is an american company afterall, any profit made goes to please their suits and investors.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    edited August 2019
    If they are expanding the team for Sims 4 perhaps they have put off any possible successor for the next three, four, five years or so? There's no reason to change as the OS's are not getting completely renewed only updated. If they are working on something it'll be a different product.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/home/leaving?target=https://simscommunity.info/2019/08/02/the-sims-4-development-team-is-expanding-after-the-recent-success-report/
  • jadonbakesjadonbakes Posts: 294 Member
    Is there misinformation in this thread? I thought the fiscal year went from October to September. So FY2020 would start October 2019 and last until September 2020. If this is true, wouldn't Island Living be included in FY2019? And if so, will we be getting EVEN MORE CONTENT from this October until next September?!
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    jadonbakes wrote: »
    Is there misinformation in this thread? I thought the fiscal year went from October to September. So FY2020 would start October 2019 and last until September 2020. If this is true, wouldn't Island Living be included in FY2019? And if so, will we be getting EVEN MORE CONTENT from this October until next September?!

EA’s fiscal year runs from April 1 - March 31 of the following year. FY19 ended March 31 of this year.
  • jadonbakesjadonbakes Posts: 294 Member
    That's BANANAS. I didn't realize there were additional fiscal years outside of the standard fiscal year.
  • CAITLINX354CAITLINX354 Posts: 157 Member
    I don't get why people are still shocked that this game is doing well. Or people who think this is a sign that they're ready to announce the next game in the franchise.

Keeping in mind popular/successful doesn't necessarily equal quality; its previous obvious how successful TS4 has been. You can hate the game all you want but it is popular.