Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Opinion on the rebrand?

Comments

• Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    I want it GONE! It's horrible!
    Dedudamol wrote: »
    I one of many who like new design. Its look more modern, then old design. What i want now its more new design in inside the game because new and old design not compatible. I hope its will be.
    Or if someone like old design, why developers cant make setting - mark. If you check mark you will see new design, if you remove mark you will see old design, If this would be has many people would be happy... hey, anyone supposed this idea on twitter? :)

Thats why I hated and still hate part of this rebrand. It seems stupid and completely unnecessary when the rest of the game stills the same. If it is to change and rebrand things just go and change all! I still think icons and new box arts are mediocre but that is just my taste.

• FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Why no older sims in the new group of sims? Middle aged women are made invisible enough in the real world; I hate that that's bled over into the Sims as well.
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    Why no older sims in the new group of sims? Middle aged women are made invisible enough in the real world; I hate that that's bled over into the Sims as well.

I've posted this elsewhere but the rebrand had no intention of including anyone over 25. If you look at the promotional video that came alongside it (the Play With Life one) you can see that.

Young-Simmers-Only.jpg

Going by that, the rebrand looks like a bid to get new players in (which is clearly why they gave the game away recently) as they won't have any prior knowledge of previous entries in the series (which means no complaints about how lacking 4 can be in comparison to 3, 2 or 1). Having a sale on packs shortly after the game was given away also looks like an obvious bid to get those new players to start spending.

Out with the old, in with the new.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    edited July 2019
    My children fall into that age range...I don't. Which is kind of comical considering my daughter won't touch Sims 4 (son doesn't play at all). She actively plays 3 and sometimes 2. I actually play 4 (although not as much as others).

Fourth bulletpoint mentions discrimination. I believe the age 16 is there for legal reasons, which is understandable. But there are many players who probably have very good stories to tell who are overlooked (and discriminated?) by this. It is a shame.

The Sims in general, I think, has usually offered a lot for older simmers. There are probably wonderful things they could share.

Edit: I saw what topic this was in. I am very glad they changed the loading screen to the darker color.
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • IDontVibeIDontVibe Posts: 65 Member
    For real, EA decided to re-design the game for the second time in a year, add mermaids, an EP for an EP, and spend time rendering Baby Ariel jackets? For real, we just want BUNK BEDS
    them/they
  • LquinnLquinn Posts: 385 Member
    Keep it! I like it!
    I voted for "keep it I like it", but only because I was bored with the old one. If they want to change it again tomorrow, I would be fine with that.
  • IDontVibeIDontVibe Posts: 65 Member
    Lquinn wrote: »
    I voted for "keep it I like it", but only because I was bored with the old one. If they want to change it again tomorrow, I would be fine with that.

I think it's kind of stupid to change it so much. Personally, I think that the old display was the Sims branding.

According to my source, which I will link at the end of the short essay that this is turning into,
    "All the components related to a product, service, company, or person is “brand identity.” Some of these items are the name, logo, tone, tagline, typeface, and shape that create an appeal. "

Pretty soon, the branding will be unrecognizable.

People stopped playing Minecraft because they updated it sooo much. If you leave for a while, it'll be hard to navigate..... Same is happening with the Sims, which sucks.

Okay, that was hard to read.....
    Lol, here's my link.

Link: https://www.thebalancesmb.com/brand-identity-and-marketing-2295442
    them/they
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    edited July 2019
    Idontrcall wrote: »
    My children fall into that age range...I don't. Which is kind of comical considering my daughter won't touch Sims 4 (son doesn't play at all). She actively plays 3 and sometimes 2. I actually play 4 (although not as much as others).

Three of my kids do too. One played Sims 2, and won't touch 3 or 4. One played 3 and plays 4, but misses 3 (her computer doesn't support it anymore.) She's actually been asking if she can get a computer that will. And the other doesn't like Sims at all.

However, I have been playing Sims since the beginning. I also have a lot more money to spend than my kids do. My oldest can barely afford his gas.
    I think to some extent, they just take older players for granted, after all we are still around. Although, it took me nearly 5 years to even start playing Sims 4, I am now.

Gallery ID: LadyGray01
    edited July 2019

I've posted this elsewhere but the rebrand had no intention of including anyone over 25. If you look at the promotional video that came alongside it (the Play With Life one) you can see that.

Young-Simmers-Only.jpg

Going by that, the rebrand looks like a bid to get new players in (which is clearly why they gave the game away recently) as they won't have any prior knowledge of previous entries in the series (which means no complaints about how lacking 4 can be in comparison to 3, 2 or 1). Having a sale on packs shortly after the game was given away also looks like an obvious bid to get those new players to start spending.

We're all for diversity, provided you're under 25. This is disappointing, tbh. I was in my 30s when I started playing Sims 3 and a big part of the attraction was it was a game I could find myself in. I wonder if they've done a breakdown of the ages of their players. Maybe I'm wrong, but there are a lot of middle aged and older gamers and I would imagine a lot of simmers are in that demographic, and deliberately excluding us seems to be a not-great move.

Just realized that this advert is not through EA nor an EA sponsored company. Still, it does go to show that middle aged and older gamers, especially women, as in most walks of life, are invisible. In some ways, it's a bit of a relief in the day-to-day, but when it comes to things like my hobby, it is far more of a negative. I suppose I could take up knitting ;)
    Post edited by Felicity on
  • Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    To quote a song:
    In with the old, out with the new - they don't make them like they used to.
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited July 2019

Young-Simmers-Only.jpg

As someone who is actually in that age group, I find that very sad. These games are played by many different people of all ages, and there isn't anything wrong with representing that in advertising, as they have previously done.

Did you know there is a well-known Skyrim player by the YouTube handle Shirley Curry? She's an older woman, yet she loves Skyrim, and people love watching her videos. In fact, Bethesda is adding her as an NPC in the next Elder Scrolls game! In what bizarre world do people think, because there is an older woman playing this game, and embracing that, that it somehow would drive the younger crowds away?

But, we all know how genius the marketing team has gotten with The Sims 4. :lol: From start to finish? A trainwreck.
  • Beccy13Beccy13 Posts: 6 New Member
    Keep it! I like it!
    I like it, it's pretty and I like that EA is bringing back the translucent Plumbob! Of course, this is just my opinion, I'm not trying to argue. Some people like it some people don't... I personally like a change of scenery like this. I think it's visually appealing, but I know most people won't agree with me.
  • shokoroseshokorose Posts: 66 Member
    Maybe I’m a cranky old lady but I didn’t even notice. And my memory isn’t as good as it used to be. Also, My wheezy old computer takes forever to load. I click on Sims and then wander off to get some coffee, let the dog out, etc. it kind of amazing that there is 13 pages about this. I’m just glad my game still loads. :p
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    Just realized that this advert is not through EA nor an EA sponsored company. Still, it does go to show that middle aged and older gamers, especially women, as in most walks of life, are invisible. In some ways, it's a bit of a relief in the day-to-day, but when it comes to things like my hobby, it is far more of a negative. I suppose I could take up knitting ;)

Hahah. I crochet. But I've been doing it since highschool, :) I understand wanting to bring in new players, it keeps a game going and is absolutely necessary. But, Sims has always attracted a wide range of players from day one. They just always had the right balance somehow. With Sims 4 that balance is way off.
    Besides what I already mentioned about me having more money than my young adult son, I also grew up playing games, like every 80's kid. I'm hanging on to Sims because I've always loved it. If they were actually still trying to appeal to older and younger players, I'd be jumping on new packs instead of always buying them on sale. I still don't own most of them.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

Young-Simmers-Only.jpg

That awkward moment when a company encourages minors to publically pillory their parents and siblings to sell their product. Overlooking/ignoring/not caring in what way that might have an enormous impact on that child’s further life. “Getting back at mom and dad or siblings”. “Didn’t fit into their family”. “Whose family was dysfunctional/unstable”. So sorry that family will feel so exposed, humiliated and insulted by your confessions in our advertisement that your problems worsened, good day.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Young-Simmers-Only.jpg

That awkward moment when a company encourages minors to publically pillory their parents and siblings to sell their product. Overlooking/ignoring/not caring in what way that might have an enormous impact on that child’s further life. “Getting back at mom and dad or siblings”. “Didn’t fit into their family”. “Whose family was dysfunctional/unstable”. So sorry that family will feel so exposed, humiliated and insulted by your confessions in our advertisement that your problems worsened, good day.

I'm going to add to this (which I agree this is a very distasteful marketing ploy) but will add, 'grew up in a very strict home, and was able to break the rules in The Sims' EA it isn't your job to question what is strict and what is not, and or to encourage children to go along with you while looking at their life as too strict through your eyes. Parenting isn't your job.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

Young-Simmers-Only.jpg

I'm going to add to this (which I agree this is a very distasteful marketing ploy) but will add, 'grew up in a very strict home, and was able to break the rules in The Sims' EA it isn't your job to question what is strict and what is not, and or to encourage children to go along with you while looking at their life as too strict through your eyes. Parenting isn't your job.
    Thanks, agreed.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Wow, I never even read those little example stories on the side. Geez, why do so many of them amount to, "Your family life sucked, and The Sims helped escape from that"? Why were they literally looking for sob stories from this casting call? "Something you learned about the value of coming from a non-traditional family"? I guess the stories of people who came from traditional families and had just a normal, happy childhood aren't what they want to appeal to. :/

Geez, this is just making me dislike this re-brand even more and more. It's no wonder the game is such a happy, paradise world with little issues, and 0 family play if this is who they're appealing to.
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Wow, I never even read those little example stories on the side. Geez, why do so many of them amount to, "Your family life plum, and The Sims helped escape from that"? Why were they literally looking for sob stories from this casting call? "Something you learned about the value of coming from a non-traditional family"? I guess the stories of people who came from traditional families and had just a normal, happy childhood aren't what they want to appeal to. :/

Geez, this is just making me dislike this re-brand even more and more. It's no wonder the game is such a happy, paradise world with little issues, and 0 family play if this is who they're appealing to.

Pulling on heart strings, pulls on wallet strings as well.
    giphy.gif

• drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited August 2019
    Wow, I never even read those little example stories on the side. Geez, why do so many of them amount to, "Your family life plum, and The Sims helped escape from that"? Why were they literally looking for sob stories from this casting call? "Something you learned about the value of coming from a non-traditional family"? I guess the stories of people who came from traditional families and had just a normal, happy childhood aren't what they want to appeal to. :/

Yeah the ad preys on people’s insecurities and it’s in very poor taste. Not that they’re paying attention, but the video has garnered a lot of criticism for the message they’re sending with it.
  • WynterlyWynterly Posts: 232 Member
    Oh god it's horrible. I wish there was an option to change it back to the old one. :(
    ~I only act like I know everything, Rogers.~

Currently doing Harry Potter legacy challenge. You can find the rules here.
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    Its summer and I have literally too much freetime so I did this about an hour ago!

kqDlwud.png

Honestly I don't care about this pack. It was only for fun!

Young-Simmers-Only.jpg

Ugh, do you think that they are doing this with Maxis' approval? I suppose they must be. That's absolutely abhorrent. I didn't even read what they were looking for.

Ah well, I'm loving Nintendo atm so there's that.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Young-Simmers-Only.jpg

Ugh, do you think that they are doing this with Maxis' approval? I suppose they must be. That's absolutely abhorrent. I didn't even read what they were looking for.

The video ad is here on this site, so yes.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited August 2019
    Cinebar wrote: »

Young-Simmers-Only.jpg

The video ad is here on this site, so yes.

I love the Sims. This is enough for me to consider a boycott, though. What on earth are they thinking? Not only are they not going to represent people who are middled-aged and older, but they want our children to talk about how Sims saved them from us for an ad campaign? ROFL. Maxis, I get the feeling they didn't think this one through.

Another thought, though -- if teenagers are going through abuse/alienation, we should not be encouraging them to lose themselves in video games. While there aren't enough programs, we definitely should be encouraging at-risk/abused/bullied kids to seek help. I know there are areas where there just is no help, but even in those cases, I'm not sure saying to play a video game and lose yourself in fantasy is really the best way to get through it :/

Edit: I guess I need to find said ad. I don't see it on the site, but that could be because I have a good adblocker. But if it really is as bad as it sounds here, it's not only exploitative, but it's seriously irresponsible.

Another edit: Found it. There's a hospital in my area that has ads like this -- it's far more appropriate in that context than for a video game. Sims is a great game, but it's no substitute for counseling, therapy, peer groups, actual real life and problem solving. I do play video games, like many people, to escape. I sometimes use them for a coping mechanism. But this ad bothers me. And it's not to do with the ageism. It's to do with the using of an ad saying young people should reach out to a video game to find validation and recreate their reality. I don't think that's a very healthy message.