Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Looking Forward To the End Of TS4

Comments

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2019
    - up to 7-10 more years - oh yeah!!!....
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    7-10 more years - oh yeah!!!

?????
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    KLAlexisKLAlexis Posts: 472 Member
    edited July 2019
    I didnt want to get Sims 4 anymore after they announced no toddlers. I was already skeptical about it but that moment was the last straw for me. And, up til now I still didnt want Sims 4. I am happy with the decision not to get it because of all the missing stuff, bugs, etc that were produced. And even though with a lot of the add ons that looked fun from appearance, my logic kicked in and said NOPE.

I picked me up a free digital copy last month when EA gave it away for free and my feelings towards it has not changed. I like some of the things that the sims do or have but it isnt huge. Building is fun and CAS is fun but I expected that. After the patch update my sims are even more out of it now: sleeping in the wrong bed, standing idle, not listening, etc. Somehow I still play every now and then, but imo there's no life in the Sims 4 like the other iterations. I had more fun with Sims 1 than this.
    "The truth hurts, but lies kill"
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

?????

Andrew Wilsons latest talk I just saw over at EA..

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited July 2019
    After playing Island Living, I lost hope. It seems to be a trend in the video game industry -- put out an incomplete product, and then sell substandard, overpriced DLC. I don't think quality game play matters much. I was honestly surprised at how little there is to Island Living.

My guess is that Sims 4 will be given away again, and the regular price dropped, because they want people to buy the DLCs. In other games, there are people who pay $20 for an armor skin. Normal consumers are not really the target audience any more; it's what the game industry calls "whales" who are.

Anyway, enough of this rant. I hope Sims 4 does a real revamp. But if they don't, the DLC will still sell. But ugh, I paid $40 for Island Living and $50 for Breath of the Wild. It's crazy what DLC is selling for these days, and what you get for your $$
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    izecson wrote: »

That is really bad news if the sims 4 goes over 10 years and still maintain the current quality of packs

Hopefully they will improve for people not happy with them as they are apparently far from done yet and selling better than ever. The new quarter was just listed to day selling 55 percent higher than previously.

EA is rather joyous over it all. A bunch of EA's triple AAA games getting extended - apparently done like this is the future of games from what I am seeing... and what is being said. Very definitely not just EA either. Other big publishers as well.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    We seem to be upgraded to Selected Operating Highlights and Metrics this quarter. Probably helped by that freebie though?

https://news.ea.com/press-release/company-news/electronic-arts-reports-q1-fy20-financial-results

During the quarter, The Sims 4TM expansion packs and game pack downloads increased 55% year-over-year

I cannot see Sims 4 ending soon.

If they make so much cash why is it that the EP's get such plum budgets? They even have to recycle from previous EP's for their animations lol

Well are they making so much cash or implying they're making so much cash? I'm not saying they aren't making money but instead of downloads why not tell the purchases?

Purchases increased 55% and downloads increased 55% imply similar things but can mean different things.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited July 2019

?????

Andrew Wilsons latest talk I just saw over at EA..

Where did you see that? They said The Sims 4 brought in 7 million new players when it went free, and the 10 year comment was in regards to Apex Legends.
    Andrew Wilson

Yes. I would just come back to the comments that Blake just shared. And we have between 8 million to 10 million people engaging in this game on a week-by-week basis. That is large by any measure. It makes it one of the -- probably the most engaging games. We have continued to see great fan sentiment inside that game. And we expect to continue to grow that audience over time. Again, when we think about Apex Legends, we set out to build something with longevity. And at the very core is a great gameplay experience. And we know that long-term engagement involves the ongoing release of new content and the ongoing running of events, both of which the team at Respawn are doing with great success, but the very core of that is a great gameplay experience. And we're building this in a way that we expect to continue to grow and continue to be a meaningful part of our business for a long time to come. And the sign of engagement that we see today lead us to believe that's possible.

Blake Jorgensen

Yes. We think about this as almost like an annual title. We will continue to innovate that game and evolve that game over time and hope to believe -- I believe that we have a 10 year run ahead of us or if not more.There's so much potential and ways to change that game over time and add to that game. We think that there's just huge potential in that and that's how we're managing it. In terms of the news around Sony, I have not seen the Sony news so I don't know exactly what they said. We're not seeing any softness in our demand metrics around our titles. And thus, the reason that we reconfirmed our guidance for the full year.
  • Options
    GooseyGoosey Posts: 317 Member
    The sims 4 cannot last 7-10 years. It’s already buggy and unstable for many. Pigs will fly first.

I take what “fun surprise mechanics” EA say with a pinch of salt. Scummy business practices first and fore most and consumer care as an after thought.

exactly right. They create countless new game breaking bugs and more problems each time they release one of their unfinished expansions or gamepacks. The game is a chore to work around all the problems as it is, another 4-5 years of addons, the game will be so broken, we will be lucky to even be able to load the thing.

See broken final version of Sims 3 as evidence. Try playing it with all expansions for a decent amount of time, it'll become unplayable eventually.

I think they'll milk Sims 4 for as long as possible. But for sure, Sims 5 will filled with surprise lootbox mechanics. Its gonna feel like a korean f2p game.

Gentlemen, from this day forward... you will all refer to me by the name... Betty... myahhahah!
  • Options
    KLAlexisKLAlexis Posts: 472 Member
    If the Sims 4 was an online game like WOW, Fortnite, etc then maybe I could see it staying that long, but it is not. The Sims 4 staying 7-10 years sounds inconsiderate in a way as people will probably have to get new desktops/laptops (or more space on them) if they dont have a gaming one to get the add ons that are released.

Putting packs onto a pc takes up space, and sims 4 is supposed to be a game that is somewhat flexible in what pcs you can play it on. Can you imagine how many packs would come out for those 7 to 10 years? We already have over 10 stuff packs. Just imagine the space taken up, the bugs being added and the old ones not being fixed. How would that even work!!
    "The truth hurts, but lies kill"
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2019

That is really bad news if the sims 4 goes over 10 years and still maintain the current quality of packs

Hopefully they will improve for people not happy with them as they are apparently far from done yet and selling better than ever. The new quarter was just listed to day selling 55 percent higher than previously.

EA is rather joyous over it all. A bunch of EA's triple AAA games getting extended - apparently done like this is the future of games from what I am seeing... and what is being said. Very definitely not just EA either. Other big publishers as well.
    I’m not surprised, I predict they want to continue for at least 5 years because for them it’s big business that costs little from now on, just some marketing. I highly doubt current players will benefit from that, I genuinely think (and you can’t blame them, a game can carry just this much, you really think Sims 3 was an exception?) that nothing really new will be added to the experience. Which doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy that, I’m ready to start a brand new experience I never did in Sims 3 atm (travelling between worlds and after that farming). The difference is, that Sims 3 hasn’t cost me a penny since October 2013 (all the Store stuff they added after that I got for free ‘watching’ ads while I was active here)(ETA: and since I mentioned farming I should add that Store set was gifted to me by a friendly simmer).

Maybe I’m wrong, maybe they will be able to add really new, gameplay changing expansions after all. I can’t tell you how much I hope I’m wrong because it will mean I will benefit as well and start buying again. I want to enjoy this game, I desperately do. But it would surprise me, that’s all, I have this fear the latest developments (with beautiful yet poor where it comes to gameplay GP EP IL) are an indicator.

Overall I don’t feel this development is something players should cheer over. It’s not in our adventage.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    Hi @Cinebar ! It's good to see you. I wholeheartedly agree with your post. I don't think Island Living deserves to be called an Expansion Pack. It looks to be a Game Pack with a Holiday Destination, with an identity crisis...

I am an islander (I live in Bali) and well, I'm going to say that what they show to the player-base here can be inaccurate in certain aspects. =|
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    The Sims 4 will not be continuing for another 7 to 10 years. Andrew Wilson was talking about the Anthem IP when he mentioned that. Going by that logic, The Sims 4 is currently almost 5 years into its cycle, which would line up with what Grant said last year about it going for another 3 years, which adds up to a total of 7 years in alignment with what Andrew said.

It looks like it'll go for another 2 years, in short.
    IP.png
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Options
    EthropturEthroptur Posts: 53 Member
    [quote="Goosey;c-17183449"]
    See broken final version of Sims 3 as evidence. Try playing it with all expansions for a decent amount of time, it'll become unplayable eventually.[/quote]

I’ve never encountered any issues with TS3 and I have all of the EPs and every SP up to Town Life Stuff. The game gets much slower the more I play it, however my computer wasn’t built for gaming and it’s been making a very loud, year-log death rattle, so...
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I didn't watch the discussion on line but this is from their prepared remarks pdf. It doesn't mention 7 years there.

https://s22.q4cdn.com/894350492/files/doc_financials/2020/q1/Q1-FY20-Prepared-Remarks.pdf

CEO: " Our Sims 4 live service also continues to be a rich and rewarding experience for our players,
    and a strong platform for growth. The Sims 4 continues to be one of the great owned IP
    success stories of our portfolio, and we’re planning for FY20 to be our biggest year yet of new
    content. Knowing that, we gave more fans a chance to get into the game through a one-week
    promotion in May to download the base game for free. Almost 7 million players downloaded the
    game during that time. In addition to the base game promotion, total expansion and game pack
    downloads also increased 55% year-over-year in Q1. We launched our seventh expansion
    pack – Island Living – in late June, and it has already become one of our best-selling packs for
    The Sims 4. We are fortunate to have an incredibly vibrant and creative Sims community on
    console, PC and mobile, and we are continuing to double down on this amazing franchise to
    reach new players and open up exciting new dimensions of The Sims this year. ..........."

Financial: "We continue to expect The Sims 4 and Apex Legends to each deliver net bookings in the
    $300 million to $400 million range".

I'm tending to look on this game like the way one used to buy a weekly comic. They can go on for years and years and probably cost the same per year! It doesn't need to end unless the engine gives up. :D
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Some people are content with Sims 4 because of the name and do not want the series to die and sadly one day or year it will. if EA/Maxis did produce Sims 5 in the same mold as Sims 4 I do not see the series lasting very long and that is my opinion.. Even famous franchises die as the Sims City franchise did. I rather kill the franchise than string it along with half baked features and dull plots or even go on an long hiatus until an good idea is available. Sims 4 for me is turning into an quick money grab and that money is more than likely being used to front its other thriving franchises.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited July 2019
    Sucom wrote: »
    I didn't watch the discussion on line but this is from their prepared remarks pdf. It doesn't mention 7 years there.

https://s22.q4cdn.com/894350492/files/doc_financials/2020/q1/Q1-FY20-Prepared-Remarks.pdf

CEO: " Our Sims 4 live service also continues to be a rich and rewarding experience for our players,
    and a strong platform for growth. The Sims 4 continues to be one of the great owned IP
    success stories of our portfolio, and we’re planning for FY20 to be our biggest year yet of new
    content. Knowing that, we gave more fans a chance to get into the game through a one-week
    promotion in May to download the base game for free. Almost 7 million players downloaded the
    game during that time. In addition to the base game promotion, total expansion and game pack
    downloads also increased 55% year-over-year in Q1. We launched our seventh expansion
    pack – Island Living – in late June, and it has already become one of our best-selling packs for
    The Sims 4. We are fortunate to have an incredibly vibrant and creative Sims community on
    console, PC and mobile, and we are continuing to double down on this amazing franchise to
    reach new players and open up exciting new dimensions of The Sims this year. ..........."

Financial: "We continue to expect The Sims 4 and Apex Legends to each deliver net bookings in the

I'm tending to look on this game like the way one used to buy a weekly comic. They can go on for years and years and probably cost the same per year! It doesn't need to end unless the engine gives up. :D

As I see it, perhaps Sims 4 HAS been downloaded by 7 million players but where is the information relating to the happiness and satisfaction of those 7 million players? I'm 1 of those 7 million and I'm definitely NOT happy with the game, despite many aspects of it being better than before. There is too much lost as far as I'm concerned. It plays more like a video than a game.

Maybe Island Living has been downloaded many, many times but again, how many of those players are actually 100% satisfied with it? How many are only 50% satisfied with it? Where are 'those' figures?

Financial: 300 to 400 million? That's great - it's making people rich. But is it right to earn a lot of money off other people's discontent?

It's true that Sims 4 'should be' the best game so far. Many aspects of the game are very good.... Except that it lacks around 80% of gameplay. It's all show, like a video, like a film or a movie. Where is the content? It is 'supposed' to be a game, after all!

If you've only got the base game you might think that.

Sims 4 appeals to those who don't want "gameplay" thrust upon them but like dollshouses or using their own imaginations for building or stories but accept the occasional StrangerVille type addition. There's lots of sales in that.
    Take a look at some of the Gallery builds and families, Millions(45+) of them.That's what appeals. Of course not too many for the basegame now. It just appeals to a different type of Simmer who might have given up on 2 or 3.
    Post edited by Simburian on
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    The Sims 4 will not be continuing for another 7 to 10 years. Andrew Wilson was talking about the Anthem IP when he mentioned that. Going by that logic, The Sims 4 is currently almost 5 years into its cycle, which would line up with what Grant said last year about it going for another 3 years, which adds up to a total of 7 years in alignment with what Andrew said.

It looks like it'll go for another 2 years, in short.
    IP.png

Anthem is a freshly baked, super HOT MESS. Rip.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    Sucom wrote: »

As I see it, perhaps Sims 4 HAS been downloaded by 7 million players but where is the information relating to the happiness and satisfaction of those 7 million players? I'm 1 of those 7 million and I'm definitely NOT happy with the game, despite many aspects of it being better than before. There is too much lost as far as I'm concerned. It plays more like a video than a game.

Maybe Island Living has been downloaded many, many times but again, how many of those players are actually 100% satisfied with it? How many are only 50% satisfied with it? Where are 'those' figures?

Financial: 300 to 400 million? That's great - it's making people rich. But is it right to earn a lot of money off other people's discontent?

It's true that Sims 4 'should be' the best game so far. Many aspects of the game are very good.... Except that it lacks around 80% of gameplay. It's all show, like a video, like a film or a movie. Where is the content? It is 'supposed' to be a game, after all!

Maybe the problem is that Sims 4 is all show, like a video, film or movie.

My nephew and his friends (age group 10-13) watch a lot of YouTube. If they can't get on YouTube to watch their videos, it's panic time. They don't "play" anything, they just sit and watch other people play or do dangerous and stupid stunts.

The gameplay has been lost. As long as it looks good, then that's alright.

But not for me, why else would I spend money on a "game"? I've "played" since Sims 1through 2 and 3, have every EP and SP and most of the Sims 3 store, all to help me in my gameplay.

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

How can he say that? Do you have a quote or anything it's going to go on seven to ten years more? Aren't they building a new Sim game? Surely that wouldn't take seven more years to release another Sim title. Or maybe it's a mmorpg and they are going to keep both going? I think him saying that just doesn't make sense at all since we know Maxis is building another AAA game.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2019

All this proves to me is they have discovered Free to Play actually works for unsuspecting new players. Download base for free, get them hooked with the word "Free" then they need new packs to make the game fun. Isn't that the Free to Play model in a sense? And players of today like that sort of model don't they? They like mobile games where they get something for free then have to pay more and more to actually enjoy or continue a game. But Simmers don't. So, I hope all these new players enjoy having to buy recolors over and over, because as a long time player I don't, and I won't do it. I won't be hoodwinked. It's true they are going to need more new players as long time players start to complain and quit over such shanagans. It was very smart of them to give away a free base, to be able to sell an new pack that was bascially a cheap knock of a GP sold at EP prices, why wouldn't a new player who didn't know that go ahead and buy a new pack as soon as they got a free basegame? It shows they don't really care about quality or reputation with long time players or even those who started with TS4 but chasing those who have never played and don't realize this is a Free to Play model they are using.

ETA: And the key word here is they have/ are fortunate to have a creative Simming Community. He go that right, because with out the big mods to save this game it would have been over a long time ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top