Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How long do you consider a sim week?

I always feel weird having my sims get married when they've only been dating a couple of sim days, but also sims lifespans only last about 100 days. If you were to translate a sim week into real time, how long would you say it is? Considering one week is a full season, I'd assume a week is about the equivalent of 4 months or so. What do you think?

Comments

• Skyoasis22Skyoasis22 Posts: 44 Member
    For real, I would just install the time speed changer mod for sims4. I can't post links because I am new, but just look around and google ''Sims 4 time speed changer mod'' Enjoy
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    To be honest, I don't try to make any "real-world" sense of the way that time scales in this game.

But playing along for the sake of the question, if you have seasons set to 1 week, I'd probably consider each week 3 months.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    3 months
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    Nah, without mods, you can make a season last 28 days. It doesn't have to be only 7, without even resorting to mods, but I also wouldn't discount modded players (since I am one).

I wouldn't assume a timeframe for all, there are too many ways to play.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Well a season can also last as long as 28 days, so that can space the time out even further and you could say each week is about a real world month. But I personally don't like to think of TS4 time as real world time since there are so many factors that can be changed like the length of a lifespan.

For me, a week is literally just a week.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    3 months I supposed... but sometimes I play with modded Season lengths (21 days) and long lifespan (Never get passed week 4, but eh), so I guess 1 month occasionally.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• LoriTSpLoriTSp Posts: 451 Member
    Well if you look at a Sim's pregnancy, which averages about 3.5 days (real life that's about 9 months) ... so it works out that a Sim week would equate to about a year and a half in real life. Generally though, I just play a week as a week, so much easier that way.
  • sueplayssimssueplayssims Posts: 126 Member
    I don't make any links between real life passing and time passing in my game as it's just too complicated. Sometimes my Sims date for a few days etc, other times they may get married a lot sooner. But I usually just play time as it passes in the game
  • GooseyGoosey Posts: 317 Member
    edited May 2022

Post edited by Goosey on

Gentlemen, from this day forward... you will all refer to me by the name... Betty... myahhahah!
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    I stopped trying to make it fit real life times because it's just too difficult.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Like others said, thinking about it just confuses me and ruins the experience.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    I always feel weird having my sims get married when they've only been dating a couple of sim days, but also sims lifespans only last about 100 days. If you were to translate a sim week into real time, how long would you say it is? Considering one week is a full season, I'd assume a week is about the equivalent of 4 months or so. What do you think?

I base Sim time off of the fact it takes three Sim days for a birth to happen. In RL that would make a Sim day equal to 3 months, since 9 months is the normal gestation period (or ten lunar months). When trying to space my Sims' children, I may only allow 2-3 days to pass, as years for expediency. It should also be noted I play on Long.

Hope this is helpful to you.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    I feel like The Sims has always been its own timeline, not meant to truly represent reality. I see the Sims Universe as something that exists within its own rules and laws of physics, its own "normalities" (like Occult presence and mythical beings like the Grim Reaper) and its own tendencies. So a week in Sim time is just a Sim week. But a lot can happen in a Sim week because their lives move forward so quickly. And in Sim terms, it's perfectly normal to meet, date, and marry within a Sim week. :)
    #Team Occult
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I always make my sims wait a week before each big event. So when they become official boyfriend/girlfriend I will make them wait a week before getting engaged then another week before marriage. When they have kids varies on their age. Usually I try wait till near the end of being young adult or start of adult.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2019
    My sims do months and years - 7 days makes a week - 4 weeks a month - 12 months a year - the only thing messed up is 28 days a Season - I wish I had 3 months for each Season. I control aging. I suppose I sort of do real time.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    edited July 2019
    In my Sim world, time just runs differently. lol.
    Seasons are 28 days, and each week on the calendar is a week. Days they lived is equivalent how many years old they'd be if they were human. They age fast like the Ocampa I guess.

Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I play rotationally, so I normally plays each house only 1-2 per year if they are lucky, so I've just accepted that time is not very important in my game :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Most of the time I just play with aging off for a while, then turn it one for a short time to progress their lives.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Weeks are pretty clear, as defined by school and work schedules.

I don't hurry my Sims, in part because I control their lifespans so I never feel pressured to marry ASAP to start a family.

I move with their whims. When both want to be engaged, they get engaged. Same with marriage and kids.

So a week is a week, but Sims time moves at Sims time pace, and I am in no huge hurry.
  • JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    edited July 2019
    Sims time is incredibly off, I played normal once and I had a sim grow up from toddler to young adult all in one sim year; she was a toddler in spring and a young adult by the next spring. That is why I play with aging off, especially with having seasons.
  • BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    I think I'd give up on this one (I did) hang your logic up on the coat rack and just let the Sims work it out for themselves. I play with aging off and usually set my seasons on the middle setting, then each Sim gets exactly four seasons per life state, but if I really love them, I play out that life state until it gets to the point they can't do anything else and then I'll age them up :) The timeline and the seasons are a flawed construct, but it's the fun you have with them that counts :)
  • CodexMortemCodexMortem Posts: 104 Member
    Pretty much same as others. I don't try to convert Sim-time (?) to real-life time, to me it's just... their time.

Though, I do play with custom lifespan and I chose to give a whole cycle of seasons to each life stage, except for YA and adult to which I gave two. So it's 28 days for toddles, children, teens and elders and 56 days for young adults and adults, for a total of around 224 days. I did it this way so every life stage could experience all seasons and young adults and adults would have enough time to advance in their careers, hobbies or whatever and have their children if they have them.
    gGelhII.png
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    Lots of things about time in this game makes no sense and I don’t try to make it make sense. It also does not take 20 minutes to walk inside your house and up a flight of stairs in real life.
  • NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,877 Member
    Tough question; it’s multi-layered.

On one hand, a Sim week is A week. They get approximately two days off work/school and attend the other five. One day within one week is clearly just that -a day.

From another angle; a Sim week is an entire season. About three months, maybe a little more.
    {My seasons are set to seven days, unless I’m rotating}

Then there are three day pregnancies, frequent promotions {at least low-level}, the seemingly rapid progression of relationships {while still seeming organic/natural to game mechanics} and the finite {and brief} lifespans of the Sims themselves.
    With all this last taken into account; I have an opinion that Sims achieve in one week approximately what one might in two years of real life.
    That is why I have set a custom age span, somewhere nearly perfectly between normal and long EA defaults; with a greatly extended Adult life stage. I have my own age ranges for each life stage and have set my own aging so that Sims age two years in seven days {aka a week, of course}.