Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Region 12 NEWS - Short TV reports from my game - Feb 22: NEWS Year 222

SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
edited February 2020 in The Sims 4 General Discussion
Feb 22: New video on page 2...

In this thread I'll share ideas and tidbits from my game. Most of the events are covered in my new Region 12 NEWS edition, where I try to gather regional news, gossips and family notes etc. These videos are sim-annual (RL-monthly, or so), and are posted on my YT channel. I'll share a few additional tidbits here, too.

This is a way to share how I play my game, and there will hopefully be some ideas that might inspire other simmers, too. Like my sims get various jobs that I make up on my own. There is an inheritance system. My sims can start companies. They have individual economy and can invest in stocks. And much more. Because of this, I started this thread to share and discuss some of those elements.

Each edition will be less than 5 minutes and with limited space for explaining stuff, so feel free to ask in this thread, and I'll share a few more details.

There will be some standard rubrics and a couple hosts will tie it all together. More ideas simmer in my head, I think it will be quite cool.

August 7: 2nd NEWS video report is up! Election Special can be found on top of page 2...
Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
Post edited by Simmerville on

Comments

• SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    English is not my native, and there are a couple expressions I would like to make sure of.

1. What is the safest title for a list of available jobs? I've heard of "job openings", but think that might suit better when the job on offer is like a first step or introduction to a career of more possibilities. In my case it will mostly be single/static jobs. Can I use "Job offers", or would that indicate that the jobs are offered to a given person, say after receiving a job application?

2. Is there a short saying for "daughter"? I want to use "Dtr." but it would be silly using that if nobody would understand, hehe. 3 letters would be perfect, to match "Son"...

Maybe not all that important, but I'd love to get this right from the first NEWS edition. :)
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,120 Member
    1. "Job Openings" works. You could also call them "Help Wanted" as that's what they're called in the Classified section of newspapers here in America. Job offer usually implies the job is being offered to a person, after an interview. "Job Listings" is another alternative to that as well.
    2. I don't think there is an official abbreviation for "daughter." Not one that I've ever seen. It's usually just spelled out.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
    1. "Job Openings" works. You could also call them "Help Wanted" as that's what they're called in the Classified section of newspapers here in America. Job offer usually implies the job is being offered to a person, after an interview. "Job Listings" is another alternative to that as well.
    2. I don't think there is an official abbreviation for "daughter." Not one that I've ever seen. It's usually just spelled out.

Thanks a bunch! I'll go for "Job listings", sounds less formal too :)
    Glad I could help! By the way, I love your ideas. Weren't you the one that did the whole town council thing a while back?
    Yes, I still have the Council :) These days there is an election, quite detailed routine but luckily it only takes place every 5 years. Just posted some info on the upcoming election on my blog, I see I forgot to update my signature banner here...

About the NEWS video, I just found it more fun to take notes in video format. It might even be like a memory book for me, watching them again in a few years, ha!
    Yeah, I understand. That's the best part of this game. So many ways to play and no right or wrong way to do it.
    edited July 2019
    First NEWS edition covering me region's Year 219 is out! A little of what you might expect, and a few giggles. It's less than 5 minutes, phew :)

This news series is new, so the concept might adjust a bit on the go, but hey ho, it's not meant to be perfect :)

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    English is not my native, and there are a couple expressions I would like to make sure of.

1. What is the safest title for a list of available jobs? I've heard of "job openings", but think that might suit better when the job on offer is like a first step or introduction to a career of more possibilities. In my case it will mostly be single/static jobs. Can I use "Job offers", or would that indicate that the jobs are offered to a given person, say after receiving a job application?

2. Is there a short saying for "daughter"? I want to use "Dtr." but it would be silly using that if nobody would understand, hehe. 3 letters would be perfect, to match "Son"...

Maybe not all that important, but I'd love to get this right from the first NEWS edition. :)

In the realm of Genealogy I have seen dau used for daughter.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    edited August 2019
    I loved that! It was so adorable and so well organized. The editing (even though I know nothing about editing) was very well done. I honestly didn't want it to end. Great job!

Edit to add: I'm now watching your As Sims Go By. I'm hooked. You have a new subscriber :)
    Post edited by SweetieWright_84 on
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    That video was cute... and different, which is good. Loved how you had the sim newscasters talk and one was even laughing harder at the news of the kitchen fight. I understood what you meant by dtg because it was after son.. Very creative :).
    egTcBMc.png

In the realm of Genealogy I have seen dau used for daughter.

Thanks @GalacticGal - good to know that "Dau." is used. I actually forgot all about this, will give it a second though.
    I loved that! It was so adorable and so well organized. The editing (even though I know nothing about editing) was very well done. I honestly didn't want it to end. Great job!

Edit to add: I'm now watching your As Sims Go By. I'm hooked. You have a new subscriber :)

Thanks @SweetieWright_84 ! Your feedback is like music :) It took some work to get it all right for first edition, but now that the base is there, I think it will be quick to produce the next vids. Won't be a weekly thing, though.

And so glad you enjoy the ASGB series! Second season will air in Fall, so now is a good time to get into it :)
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    That video was cute... and different, which is good. Loved how you had the sim newscasters talk and one was even laughing harder at the news of the kitchen fight. I understood what you meant by dtg because it was after son.. Very creative :).

Thanks for feedback @Hermitgirl ! I'm sure it will get more quirky as more of my local stuff gets announced. Just wait for the Election Special that will air in a week or so. It's veeeeery nerdy and because it's supposed to cover a full day, it lasts like 17-18 minutes, LOL. Still might inspire some simmers somehow :)
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    Aww that was super cute! What a lovely way to track the important goings on, and shown in such an awesome little video. I thought you put it together really well.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    First NEWS edition covering me region's Year 219 is out! A little of what you might expect, and a few giggles. It's less than 5 minutes, phew :)

This news series is new, so the concept might adjust a bit on the go, but hey ho, it's not meant to be perfect :)

omg how amazing! I wish the game would have this much life on it's own. The devs can definitely take some inspiration from this one.
  • MonaSolstraaleMonaSolstraale Posts: 1,372 Member
    I'm still a fan of your methods when making your Machinimas.
    I'm glad you got such a good response on the last one, so there is hope for you to continue your creative project :)
    I'm a little curious how it went with The Sims International Film Festival?
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Nice job!

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

Thanks @SweetieWright_84 ! Your feedback is like music :) It took some work to get it all right for first edition, but now that the base is there, I think it will be quick to produce the next vids. Won't be a weekly thing, though.

And so glad you enjoy the ASGB series! Second season will air in Fall, so now is a good time to get into it :)

Yay! I can't wait!
  • QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    What an awesome youtube channel!! And what a great and fun way to practice English, too. Your English skills are excellent!

FYI, I don't think most people will know what "dau" means unless they're into genealogy. That abbreviation, while valid, isn't common knowledge among native speakers.
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
    Thanks all! :)

I just got aware that there are way too many single sims in my game! So, I made a few lists, resulting in 9 new couples that actually seems quite logical. Haha, my poor sims, they never get the last word anyway - and they know it :)

I'm still a fan of your methods when making your Machinimas.
    I'm glad you got such a good response on the last one, so there is hope for you to continue your creative project :)
    I'm a little curious how it went with The Sims International Film Festival?

No awards on my part, but it was cool to participate anyway :) I think my project was too sim-game'ish for Machinima, but hey-ho. Thanks for asking!

What an awesome youtube channel!! And what a great and fun way to practice English, too. Your English skills are excellent!

FYI, I don't think most people will know what "dau" means unless they're into genealogy. That abbreviation, while valid, isn't common knowledge among native speakers.

Thanks! :) I agree that "dau" might seem a bit weird in this setting, I think I will go for the full "daughter" and rather shorten it somehow if needed.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    That was great! Subscribed. Thanks for sharing.
    That was great! Subscribed. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! :) Working on the Election Special right now, it will get very *nerdy* :lol:
    edited August 2019
    So - every 5th year I run a regional election to find the 5 Council members for the coming period. There shall be 1 Councilor from each district (=world). The Year 220 election is now done, and I had a super-duper great time following the routines electing 18 regional Hood Contacts, finding the 10 Nominees for 5 Councilors - and finally the Mayor! A new NEWS video will be released today (morning US), it's 18 minutes (!) and with street reporters, entertainers in studio and more, it's hopefully nerdy enough to please the nerdy simmers, ha-ha!

ts4-20190807-councilhouse.jpg
    (Will there be a new Council in the Council House for the next 5 years?)

Seriously; If you wanna know more about how I run my elections, you will find some info in this article on my blog. Basically individuals must sign up 1 simyear in advance, then on Election Day (1st day of Spring) the "votes" are tallied to build the score.

In the first round to find 1 Hood Contact per hood, score is mostly based on skills and career experience. In 2nd round to find 10 Nominees (2 from each district/world) score is more based on reputation and community. Finally, in the 3rd round, where 5 Councilors fight it out top become the Mayor, extra points are rewarded based on Social Media popularity :)

Hey- ho, prepare yourself for the Election TV-Special! :)
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    I really enjoyed your video. Bookmarking now so I can stay updated.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

aprilrose wrote: »
    I really enjoyed your video. Bookmarking now so I can stay updated.

Thank you! :)