Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Disabilites, Maybe?

Comments

• Simzilla_7Simzilla_7 Posts: 141 Member
    @MadameLee I would rather not, as that would be revealing what I suffer from and we aren’t supposed to talk about that here anyhow.

The sims is far too utopia like and happy- of course it would be trivialised. Are they going to realistically portray how a depressed person feels? How they sometimes can’t get up in the morning? Are they going to portray the agony people feel in wheelchairs due to a physical disability? (Mine isn’t physical but for example I have a friend who uses a wheelchair and she really struggles. Not to mention the impact it has on her mental health. Can they potray that realistically? Of course they can’t. I am 100% confident they cannot accurately represent my illness and again the impact that has on my mental health.

If this goes ahead I will be horrified- I play the sims to escape my troubles in real life, not to see them be used as entertainment and a quick buff. But do I see it happening? Perhaps. Anything to pat themselves on the back and play the inclusive card.

I completely agree you.
  • CAITLINX354CAITLINX354 Posts: 157 Member
    edited July 2019
    okay my first answer is a bit tongue in cheek but my honest opinion is I don't want mental illnesses in the game. I have anxiety but don't want my sims to also have anxiety. I don't think it'll be fun gameplay for my sim to be stuck in their room all day because they're having a panic attack.

I personally think mental illnesses should be left to mods.
    Post edited by CAITLINX354 on
  • CIASimtridgeCIASimtridge Posts: 31 Member
    I think that they should incorporate wheelchairs but they don't even give the option to adjust height so I doubt they would go that far. I feel like they have left the mental health game play to mod creators so people can choose if they want to add that. Instead of actually giving us the ability to create sims with these struggles, I think they should give us new careers and game play options such as being and/or calling a therapist. If they add University (which I reeeeallly hope they do), I would see these new careers having a way to be introduced.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    The amount of work required covering interaction over all packs would probably take them over their budget. Have any modders even tried?
    Someone's always going to be annoyed they have been ignored.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    if you went such content why not rely on downloading custom content or mods as mention because you need to realise that not all players might not went this in game, as a player i clearly do not went disabilatys since i play the sims4 to escape real life even do i am a player i voted for the laundry day sp because that was on my wented list.
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    if you went such content why not rely on downloading custom content or mods as mention because you need to realise that not all players might not went this in game, as a player i clearly do not went disabilatys since i play the sims4 to escape real life even do i am a player i voted for the laundry day sp because that was on my wented list.

And many people didn't want laundry in their games because they want to escape real life chores. You could have relied on custom content to get your laundry, right?
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »

And many people didn't want laundry in their games because they want to escape real life chores. You could have relied on custom content to get your laundry, right?

We all had a chance to vote and Laundry won. I didn't vote it top in my list but accepted it and it turned out to be a very good seller for EA/Maxis. I bought it anyway and now always install a laundry room in my builds. I would accept disabilities if it won in a similar vote on choices we wanted. I wouldn't like it as a patch but if it came with a large expansion or game pack with hospitals, old folks homes etc., etc. I might buy it. I would want a choice to have it in my game though. Depression, physical disabilities ok but how would you put Alzheimer's (my brother-in-law) has it or Motor Neurone Disease (my sister-in-law) died of it? It is not that simple.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,093 Member
    This question came up with Sims 3 when they were still releasing EPs. And the conclusions I come to are the same as they were then.
    There's too many considerations making it a minefield and it's easier to just not do it.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »

sorry to say this but ever since the sims3 for me laundry is a major part of the game now
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,749 Member

problem is that only Maxis/Sims Team are the only people who can make FUNCTIONAL WORKING Wheelchairs or at least put the code into the game so CC creators/modders could do such a thing. CC creators/modders can't do (with no current code in the game) that most wheelchairs CC available are just converted dinning chairs so Sims A can't really push Sim B in the chair expect in one's imagination or Sim B can't really move their own wheelchair except in their imagination which I would think would make real people in wheelchairs even more **** off when they are (IF they want chairs in the game
    6adMCGP.gif
  • AmTk86AmTk86 Posts: 80 Member
    I think a way to handle mental illness or non visible conditions (like blindness or deafness) is adding a separate “trait panel” similar to the gender option panel with a list of symptoms rather than actual illnesses. This allows the player to customize to fit whatever symptoms they or the character they’re attempting to portray has and avoids stereotyping a whole disorder.
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    AmTk86 wrote: »
    I think a way to handle mental illness or non visible conditions (like blindness or deafness) is adding a separate “trait panel” similar to the gender option panel with a list of symptoms rather than actual illnesses. This allows the player to customize to fit whatever symptoms they or the character they’re attempting to portray has and avoids stereotyping a whole disorder.

This is actually an amazing solution.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
    Ivyeyed wrote: »

they said they wouldn't be doing it via traits. Besides we have the Erratic trait so what does that represent?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »

they said they wouldn't be doing it via traits. Besides we have the Erratic trait so what does that represent?

It represents a mistake that should never have happened.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    edited July 2019

I don't think they meant Traits exactly like Sims 4 Traits I think they were talking about the gender panel where you can choose whether your sim can get pregnant, pee standing, etc.
    Post edited by Felicity1169 on
  • JosieAnglinJosieAnglin Posts: 591 Member
    I thought I read somewhere that they were going to be adding them. It totally could have been fake news, but I swear I read from an official EA post that they were going to be adding them like.. 6 months ago. Never heard anything about it again!
  • RaevynRaevyn Posts: 428 Member
    In all honesty, i think even letting elders use a walking stick (not just elders but anyone teen and up) with a unique walk style would be a good start. Even a walking frame would be cool. Disabilities is something I'd definitely write into my stories (I'm a story based player), although it isn't high up on my list of features I want in the sims 4.

I think through the most recent videos on players who use the sims 4, that adding disabilities to the game could potentially actually help people 1. explore what it could potentially be like for people who have them
    2. gain empathy towards people who are disadvantaged and the struggle they go though
    3. for people with that particular disability to be able to normalise their sims to their own reality

I dont see disabilities as a bad thing to add to this game, so I'll support the idea & purchase it if it were to come out.
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    edited July 2019
    AnnaR wrote: »
    What about non-binary/intersex genders? What about skin diseases? We need that stuff in the game.

It is what I always wanted
    with gender patch we have option to infertile sims, but no option of sims than cant be imppregnator and can become pregnant, both ways at same sim

In fact my main household are 2 mothers with 4 daughters, and my idea always was than all they be intersex sims (with female look and voice)
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member

The Erratic trait seems to involve both mood and psychotic features. Maybe it's Bipolar I disorder with mood-incongruent psychotic features.

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
    About blindness, of course when we talk here (Disability thread) it mean total blindness, 0% sight
    Besides changes to the sim itself, blind sim as is totally blind... you cant use 1st person view on blind sims
    leo3487 wrote: »
    About blindness, of course when we talk here (Disability thread) it mean total blindness, 0% sight
    Besides changes to the sim itself, blind sim as is totally blind... you cant use 1st person view on blind sims

no it doesn't mean just 100% that would mean that talking about hearing would only mean 100% deaf... there has to be middle ground in both
    6adMCGP.gif
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited July 2019

This is a really good suggestion. It could even be something like: Does the Sim use a cane while walking? Does the Sim speak and sign/gesture or just sign/gesture? Do they listen to music? Do they read books with their eyes or their fingers? Things that more represent a list of adaptations and then decide for yourself what your Sim would use and why.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
    leo3487 wrote: »

no it doesn't mean just 100% that would mean that talking about hearing would only mean 100% deaf... there has to be middle ground in both

I meant to represent at a game and easier to implement (and include with other disabilities without cause conflicts)
    As well as be blind or deaf would be a hidden trait

traits=bad idea not going to happen
    6adMCGP.gif
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,093 Member
    Raevyn wrote: »
    In all honesty, i think even letting elders use a walking stick (not just elders but anyone teen and up) with a unique walk style would be a good start.

This is the only thing I could actually see them adding, since they added canes with Sims 3. It only changes walk and interactions slightly.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01