Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Island Living is a Great Disappointment (Sort of a Rant)

Comments

• Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    GracieO312 wrote: »
    Ok I think I've cracked it. Not exactly how I envisioned it but it will do for now... Lot is on the gallery (listed as Mermaiden's Cove (2)) for anyone looking to make their mermaids (or Island Living in general :D ) slightly more interesting. Fully play tested with 2 sims - I uploaded a first try without making sure 2 sims could sit and talk next to each other! #makemermaidsfun #islandlivingshouldvehadunderwaterlots
    FzQAJTz.png
    V0Hcnj6.png
    PPzhoyn.png
    ZCcLmRO.png
    If you do download make sure to enter the mermaid tail on land cheat for any mersims! Enjoy :)

Is this beautiful female mermaid on the gallery? Also what is this cheat again?
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I miss the boathouses and the all-in-one bathrooms.
  • Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I also agree about the recycling of animations. While this has always been a huge thing in the sims 4, I think this could be the worst pack yet for it. Ditto objects. Looking at you bonfire and bonfire dance that came with Get together. There are so many recycled animations from previous packs, only thing different is a different name on the list you choose from. Giving an animation another name doesn’t make it new.

Even the dolphin animations recycle. Pet dolphin is the same as as rub dolphins belly.

I understand that water is a difficult thing to do in game- (My Husband is a game dev) and I’m sure I read the former CM saying water was a challenge but it honestly looks like we paid $40 to swim in the ocean.

That's is incorrect. They are two different animations.

I thought you couldn't fire dance in IL without GT? :o I have GT installed so I can't test this....

Well when I did the interactions, they were the exact same.

I’m not sure about fire dancing. The fire dance sure looks the exact same as the get together one. Guess Windenburg has culture too.

Fire dancing in Get Together and Island Living is the same animation.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    I agree with a lot of what you say. Very well said.

I agree it was over hyped to hell and back. Notice how a few of the gushing reviews changed once they were no longer on a trip paid for by the powers that be ;)

You know I'd really like to believe it was just because they had more time to play with it, but at this rate... I wouldn't be shocked.

Well, they were only given, I think, twenty minutes to explore the pack, with hardly any info ahead of time. Some of them are mainly builders so most of their exploration was in build mode. Some spent half their time in CAS looking at Mermaids and new hairs and outfits. So I can't really blame them for not knowing how small the pack is. They probably thought there would be a lot more to it, like most people did. In the end, they are still players, just like everyone else.

Game changers were given 6 hours with the pack at EA play

Really? Maybe I'm mixing up IL with a different event? I'd swear that the very first videos that came out were very brief and the GCs were all saying they only had 20 minutes for the first look so they kind of had to choose what they wanted to show, (like CAS, the world, or build/buy), but then they got to play more on a different day except then they had to wait for the embargo to lift before they could release any information.

I'm not even sure what I'm remembering now, lol.

#Team Occult
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I agree with a lot of what you say. Very well said.

I agree it was over hyped to hell and back. Notice how a few of the gushing reviews changed once they were no longer on a trip paid for by the powers that be ;)

You know I'd really like to believe it was just because they had more time to play with it, but at this rate... I wouldn't be shocked.

Well, they were only given, I think, twenty minutes to explore the pack, with hardly any info ahead of time. Some of them are mainly builders so most of their exploration was in build mode. Some spent half their time in CAS looking at Mermaids and new hairs and outfits. So I can't really blame them for not knowing how small the pack is. They probably thought there would be a lot more to it, like most people did. In the end, they are still players, just like everyone else.

Game changers were given 6 hours with the pack at EA play

Really? Maybe I'm mixing up IL with a different event? I'd swear that the very first videos that came out were very brief and the GCs were all saying they only had 20 minutes for the first look so they kind of had to choose what they wanted to show, (like CAS, the world, or build/buy), but then they got to play more on a different day except then they had to wait for the embargo to lift before they could release any information.

I'm not even sure what I'm remembering now, lol.

Normal people at EA play got twenty minutes. Game changers got 6 hours. Which I suppose makes sense, they aren’t going to go to the expense of flying Game changers in from around the world to give them twenty minutes worth of footage.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Has anyone noticed that even in the new recipes they cheapened out in this EP?

Literally the white cake and coconut cake use the same plum model/texture. WTH

BV3PZ0O.png

o5uqeW0.png

KXNLNm7.png

It's the exact same recipe except one uses coconuts as a possible requirement, (it's not even mandatory). lmao

Yup and the repeat recipes like pork adobo for BBq Pit.
  • Options
    GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    edited July 2019
    @catloverplayer I'm actually super proud of her! I usually download a base sim off the gallery and tweak but I decided that I would make her myself this time so thank you for the compliment :) She's not currently on there but I will definitely go in game and upload her for you (and anyone else). I have plans when Realm of Magic comes out for my witch/sorceress/whatever to 'curse' her to become an evil siren so that should be fun!

Edit: My mersim is on the gallery for you now! I also forgot to tell you the cheat :# whoopsie! It's a bit of a mouthful so I tend to just copy paste it: traits.equip_trait trait_OccultMermaid_MermaidForm
    Post edited by GracieO312 on
  • Options
    @catloverplayer I'm actually super proud of her! I usually download a base sim off the gallery and tweak but I decided that I would make her myself this time so thank you for the compliment :) She's not currently on there but I will definitely go in game and upload her for you (and anyone else). I have plans when Realm of Magic comes out for my witch/sorceress/whatever to 'curse' her to become an evil siren so that should be fun!

Edit: My mersim is on the gallery for you now! I also forgot to tell you the cheat :# whoopsie! It's a bit of a mouthful so I tend to just copy paste it: traits.equip_trait trait_OccultMermaid_MermaidForm

What's your orgin id?
  • Options
    doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    Yeh I am disappointed too I was thinking oh new world look how cool I have a sim that works as a doctor and the Hospital bit of the world is just so jarring from the tropical world as are the rest of the worlds and I still get the whole hay com to Windberg for a night out people don't travel that far just for a night out. this pack was a miss-step it would have worked better as a vacation world possibly in a game pack. when I restart my next game will leave this world well alone bad show Maxis bad show indeed.
  • Options
    GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member

What's your orgin id?

GracieFace312
  • Options
    costa09costa09 Posts: 52 Member
    Island Living is a big disappointment for me too.
    I found that it isn't enough integrated with the sims game (base and other expansions). It's like a separate game. No resort and no rent house.
    The only chance for my old sims to have fun on the island is travel to the bar or to the beach for some hours and then come back to home.
    Maybe the EA could make the rent house available for any world.
    The new part time careers are very boring too as they haven't a daily task. (my sim have zero skill in fishing and got level 3 fisherman career just entered).
    The calendar isn't integrated with this expansion and there isn't announce for island events. (i must use a mod for that). Also those events are very boring after 2 times. (that does not happen for the festivals in the City Living)
    We can't use the aqua zip as a group or club activity.
    After completed the Conservationist career you have not to do on the island because you already saw all during the career ladder.
    Lack of activity, lack of resorts and rent house give to this expansion a short life.
    All this make the expansion very boring after 2 weeks. There isn't enough game play.
    Every new expansion for the sims 4 have only the 30% of the contents of the same expansion for the sims 3 (the worst was cat and dog).
    In favor i must say that the world is really nice, beautiful graphics, i like very much the Conservationist Career and the Conservation system of the island is a good idea.
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »

BV3PZ0O.png

o5uqeW0.png

KXNLNm7.png

It's the exact same recipe except one uses coconuts as a possible requirement, (it's not even mandatory). lmao

Yup and the repeat recipes like pork adobo for BBq Pit.

That screams pure laziness and sums up the reason why sims 4 has been lacking in features/game play for 5 years.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    The worst for me is the dissappointing career rabbit holes. Especially, since the jobs seem like it could be interesting, add unique gameplay on an exotic Island, or it would at least feel more realistic. Also, the scuba diving activity or lack of is a let down. Lastly, mermaids quickly become a pain because they keep heading to the water even when in Sim form and are uncontrollable. Not to mention,boring. They also won't fish in Sim form either. Ughh. I had to take mine off mermaid form to be able to play that Sim.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • Options
    I agree with the OP 100%. I would add that the building limitations on waterfront lots are a huge disappointment to me. Builders were fairly recently blessed with terrain editing - I can't edit any terrain on waterfront lots. Basements or in-ground pools - I can't build either of those on waterfront lots. Today I went to place just a few floor tiles down without a foundation on a waterfront lot - I discovered that I can't do that either. I do appreciate the pier foundations, they look great on waterfront lots. However, I sincerely wish that the team would stop putting restrictions on what can be built using the tools that they created and made available to builders. It was slightly excusable with the apartments in City Living (though I'm still not happy about elevators being locked that that world). I'm unsure now if I would have bought Island Living if I had known what I wasn't going to be able to do with this pack. It's entirely my fault though, I saw a lot of eye candy and thought that I would love to create new builds in Sulani so I bought the EP without waiting or hesitation. I won't make that mistake again.

It's overall disappointing that the last three game packs (and expansion) are so stingy with the lots. You practically have to choose whether you want to start a business, build a house, a unique park, or restaurant with the limited number of lots.
  • Options
    SeloBeeSeloBee Posts: 177 Member
    It's overall disappointing that the last three game packs (and expansion) are so stingy with the lots. You practically have to choose whether you want to start a business, build a house, a unique park, or restaurant with the limited number of lots.

"Play How You Want" ... Yeah what a joke :neutral::expressionless:

The world is quiet here
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    beville wrote: »
    Island living was a joke terrible food, only one tropical drink and it's a small coconut you can barely see. No new dance moves even Jungle Adventure had that and it was a game pack. Reused animations which was ashame to sell this so called expansion pack for 40 so dollars. I don't know why it takes them years to make an expansion pack if they are going to use old animations and the sims just don't seem like they are enjoying themselves in this beautiful world that lacks real game play. No surfing, no talking to each others while seating on the lounge chairs, no talking to each others while fishing.
    This expansion pack was just a pretty world and some what nice clothing and build/ buy objects.

I haven't even been able to find this tropical drink in the coconut. It doesn't show up in the premade bar. Atleast it can be unlocked in buydebug though.

Atleast sims can chat in the ocean like they can in pools. They couldn't even do that in TS3.
  • Options
    bevillebeville Posts: 1,151 Member
    Island living was a joke terrible food, only one tropical drink and it's a small coconut you can barely see. No new dance moves even Jungle Adventure had that and it was a game pack. Reused animations which was ashame to sell this so called expansion pack for 40 so dollars. I don't know why it takes them years to make an expansion pack if they are going to use old animations and the sims just don't seem like they are enjoying themselves in this beautiful world that lacks real game play. No surfing, no talking to each others while seating on the lounge chairs, no talking to each others while fishing.
    This expansion pack was just a pretty world and some what nice clothing and build/ buy objects.

I haven't even been able to find this tropical drink in the coconut. It doesn't show up in the premade bar. Atleast it can be unlocked in buydebug though.

Atleast sims can chat in the ocean like they can in pools. They couldn't even do that in TS3.

The bartender have to have a high skill in order to get the coconut drink.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member

BV3PZ0O.png

o5uqeW0.png

KXNLNm7.png

Yeah...harvestables and new recipes (food and drink) are always some of my favourite things to chek on whenever a new pack comes. When I saw we got 4 new harvestables I was really excited thinking about all the foods and drinks they potentially added to the pack. I was really sad to realize how little they've done with it. I mean, you can't even put the coconut in the fridge at the moment! (even though it is THE ONLY new harvestable that is specifically used in a normal/fridge recipe in the pack)
    I don't even want to think about this pack in depth because it is just so so lacking.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited July 2019

So true. Everything's wrong with TS4 Island Living...Oh I should say with TS4 Island Watching.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member

BV3PZ0O.png

o5uqeW0.png

KXNLNm7.png

Yeah...harvestables and new recipes (food and drink) are always some of my favourite things to chek on whenever a new pack comes. When I saw we got 4 new harvestables I was really excited thinking about all the foods and drinks they potentially added to the pack. I was really sad to realize how little they've done with it. I mean, you can't even put the coconut in the fridge at the moment! (even though it is THE ONLY new harvestable that is specifically used in a normal/fridge recipe in the pack)
    I don't even want to think about this pack in depth because it is just so so lacking.
    I’ll give credit where it’s due and the one thing they did right was use new meshes for most of these new plants. I’d like to see them do that more.

However, I wish we had gotten some tropical flowers. Hibiscus would be nice and some people use that as a drink ingredient.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited July 2019
    babajayne wrote: »

BV3PZ0O.png

o5uqeW0.png

KXNLNm7.png

I’ll give credit where it’s due and the one thing they did right was use new meshes for most of these new plants. I’d like to see them do that more.

However, I wish we had gotten some tropical flowers. Hibiscus would be nice and some people use that as a drink ingredient.

Very true, that was a neat surprise.
    Hibiscus would have been great!
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options

Lol, I was looking for that too! Hibiscus would be really great with the drink option and not just Kava. Maybe, they can patch it in!
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Zussage wrote: »
    Eventually all of the content in every pack will be "explored through". To me, the beauty of the sims is how you can play the same career on the same world but with a different personality and sim, and you have a whole different game, or vice versa. It's about recombining. I just don't think it's possible to make a pack with content that "never ends". The replayability of it is based on something else.
    With TS2 and TS3 expansions, there were spoilers everywhere online and I wanted to find these surprises myself. I would play an expansion for months, even years before really delving into the details people would share online, and I always came away with several new things to try.

With TS4 expansions, I come to the forums to find out what I am missing and the answer is: little to nothing.

I’m still discovering new things in Sims 4 even to this day, and there are a bunch of things throughout all the packs I have yet to try out or barely even touched.

I am upset to hear that many are disappointed with Island Living, it’s one reason why I’m waiting for a sale to get it but I have a feeling that I’m going to love the pack, I love world based packs, City Living has been my favourite pack until Get Famous came out, and I assume I’m going to love island living purely for the fact that it seems to have pretty much nailed island living, Island festivities, island activities (even if some of them may be rabbit holes), boating, mermaids, water lots, off the grid oriented gameplay options, Island Themed careers, the world seems like a place where it invites your sims to use the entire area to live in and explore beyond just your own house.

All this ties in to my preference of Sims 4 worlds in general, I feel like Sims 4 worlds all feel unique and distinct from one another, living in one world feels completely different than in another, and Island Living provides another option/theme to play in, so I’m excited to get my hands on the pack when I come around to purchasing it.
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    I wonder if the developers even play this game, let alone any past Sims games. They don’t seem to know what we want and need. ETA Or what we expect based on past iterations.

I highly doubt that the developers have any clue about the past sims games that revolutionized the world.
    wB2Zykl.jpg