Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CAW WIP Nihon: Japanese Themed World

Hi everyone! The amazing CAW projects posted here have inspired me to post my own, in the hopes of getting feedback :)

I'm creating a Japanese themed world and the plan is to encompass varied locations (urban, rural, etc.) I'm unfortunately not that far along as I'm a super slow builder/terrain painter, but I'll share updates when I can!

So far, I've been working on the mountainous parts, fishing village, and iconic Mt. Fuji. Screenshots are below! And if I can get it to work, most will be in a spoiler tag.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions/ideas/improvements/etc!

Overview:
y2vPcMn.jpg
Mt. Fuji:
https://imgur.com/IW8KwIEIW8KwIE.jpg
Mountain Town:
XdTuaUi.jpg
RqAHogz.jpg
6YE1mdw.jpg
Zqs5R9l.jpg
Torii Gate:
I4FCkWk.jpg
Crimson Dragon Shinto Shrine:
D8LBWaV.jpg
N9zFjLF.jpg
yG2RlGc.jpg
ZiF0mgt.jpg
a21WD8h.jpg
qteRvl6.jpg
Random tourists at the shrine during testing; I think they got lost on their way to the ocean :D
dMCy1Fb.jpg
Shrine Maiden's House (traditional Japanese house):
z8XPxeN.jpg
Kukc64j.jpg
EjXbKv0.jpg
The Golden Pavilion (martial arts academy):
42gURq2.jpg
Fishing Village (the residence is a starter apartment):
BMVJFQL.jpg
OfDT53T.jpg
KYeEJN9.jpg

Comments

• Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Beautiful :) You might find it slow going but you have produced some lovely terrain sculpting sand painting so far. Looking forward to what comes next.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Pan_NymiraPan_Nymira Posts: 45 Member
    That's some gorgeous looking mountains, @KhemKat19 ! I love the rinkledness of the mountains, it looks very realistic to me - how did you do it? It must have taken forever!

My biggest issue when working in CaW is having everything in the right scale and size - I find it easy to lose grasp of how big and small something is (for an example, sometimes I want to make just a hill and later find out that it's 10 stories tall, or make a village, but not having enough space for it). I don't know if you do this already, but if I were you, I'd make a short plan of what I want (in your city for an example) and then place temporary lots just to see how much space you need. It would be such a shame to do everything over, because you don't have enough space - especially if you've put as much effort into it as it look like!
  • HidehiHidehi Posts: 1,109 Member

Your world looks gorgeous @KhemKat19 :) !
    It's definitely worth taking your time with CAW ... your terrain painting is fantastic and I love Mount Fuji and your mountain temple.

The lost tourists made me spill my tea by the way :D

Very much looking forward to more updates!!
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    This is looking stunning. I love the mountainous atmosphere you're generating <3
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • KhemKat19KhemKat19 Posts: 129 Member
    Thank you everyone! I should have a (small) update sometime this weekend, I've made some progress on the fishing village.

@Pan_Nymira It looks realistic because it is :D I imported an actual height map of Japan's terrain (the area around Mt. Fuji), because you're right it would take absolutely forever to do that manually! I did have to sculpt the ridges on Mt. Fuji by hand though, for some reason it came out completely smooth on the height map. If you want to get that rinkledness by hand, the best way I know to do it is to make small (maybe like size 10 or 15) raised ridges (I like the hill tool over the mountain tool because it's easier to control) going kind of the same direction on your mountain, then add smaller (like size 5) ridges going kind of crosswise down the previous ridges. Then accent all the ridges by making small valleys in between them. It's super tedious to do for really small detailed ones :#
    My biggest issue when working in CaW is having everything in the right scale and size
    - this is definitely my worst downfall too! That's a great idea to plan out the city, I'm kind of nervous I don't have the right amount of space for "Tokyo" :o

@Hidehi The tourists were my favorite, I found it so hilarious they were hanging out on the mountain with their swimming flippers :D
  • GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    If only we had this in ts4. Great work :heart:
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
    @GamingTweety Thank you!! I would absolutely LOVE a CAW for TS4, maybe some day the gurugods will grace us with one :D
    Small update incoming!

I've finished (?) the fishing village, or at least I'm fairly happy where it's at right now. I'll likely go back and tweak/add effects/add more spawners later, but for now I'll be moving on to a different part of Nihon. So I present the little fishing village, Ine!

Overview:
    Dwc8pFQ.jpg
    C7FTT2u.jpg
    Takeshi and Sakura Yamamoto, my new testing sims!
    tEAOmp7.jpg
    Ef0W3Bk.jpg
    XQZVTAp.jpg

Sakura being ridiculous during testing:
    Kimonos and socks with flip-flops are not conducive for productive fishing
    3SexAKA.jpg
    Neighbors haven't moved in yet? Help yourself to their produce why don't you!
    gvFrHdq.jpg

Fishing expedition gone poorly long ago:
    wfuJ6CA.jpg

Small single family homes:
    dfBlllL.jpg
    8MpCICa.jpg
    g9BijzZ.jpg

Bridge over troubled water (sorry, the Ine River, which is only mildly troubled):
    bChCEX5.jpg
    LvwoKpE.jpg

Food truck stopped at the fish market; good to know those fish tacos aren't a week old; or maybe they are and the food truck driver wanted to get some decent food:
    aa1mLEu.jpg

Another overview angle:
    DY9zLWT.jpg

• HidehiHidehi Posts: 1,109 Member

All I can say is WOW!!!!!! <3<3<3 ... How you've managed to nestle the houses in between the rugged landscape is just awesome!!! :D
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Gorgeous landscaping and your houses are lovely. You are putting so much detail and care into everything and that is making such a beautiful world <3
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • KiearaPhoenixKiearaPhoenix Posts: 212 Member
    Wow what an idyllic fishing town! Ah that's so cool, I didn't know you could import maps. Welp too late for current project, but that's something I'll remember for the next.
  • tammyjo329tammyjo329 Posts: 2,747 Member
    I agree WOW! This is just beautiful and what a lovely fishing town! I can hardly wait for your next update to see what you've added next. :D
  • equuestequuest Posts: 718 Member
    Absolutely beautiful! I love all the detail and trees/plants that you are incorporating into your world! It's stunning!!! <3
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,425 Member
    @KhemKat19 - Keeping an eye on this one, when it's ready to download, I'm all over this one. Need a great little "Japan" world. :) It's beautiful.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    This is gorgeous! Can’t wait to see what you do with Tokyo.
  • MorningstarMorningstar Posts: 318 Member
    Bookmarked! This world is gorgeous so far. I'll have to use it if I ever want any of my story Sims to visit Japan ;)
    From the town's first community lot to each household and rabbit hole, watch the stories unfold...
    Rebuilding Appaloosa Plains
    Prologue & Chapters 1-18 out now!
    Origin ID: Mourning-Stars | Simming since 2000
  • Rosh123Rosh123 Posts: 5 New Member
    I wish you could continue with this discussion. I really REALLY want to download this world and play in it. Will you be putting out this world in the near future?, CAUSE IT'S LEGIT AMAZING!
    Hi everyone! Sorry for the long hiatus; real life busyness and an extremely hot laptop have drastically decreased my simming time. But I just transferred all my sims stuff to a new computer, so now that I can play without my laptop overheating every 2 seconds, I'm excited to return to Nihon! Just gotta do the tech magic that will make CAW properly integrate and hopefully I'll have an update soon :)
    And thank you to all the kind comments about the world! I DO intend to continue work on it! Unfortunately, it won't be released any time soon, because I'm super slow, but it'll get there eventually :D