Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

off the grid lot trait

I have a few issues with this trait.: 1. When using the wash tub, after the water gets dirty you have no way of cleaning it so you're then stuck with having constant dirty laundry or having to buy a wash tub over and over to keep clean water.
2. When using the shower, you can do a quick and tepid shower but it seems kind of pointless if my sim has to shower twice to keep clean; not really saving water then are you?
3. How can my sim get a job if they can't use their phone or computer while on this lot? if we had newspapers I could see this working much better.

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    edited June 2019
    Yeah, disappointed about the wash tub. Hoping it was an oversight and will be fixed soon. As for using the computer I'll be putting in a little internet cafe on Sulani with a shop selling supplies useful for living off the grid. The shower in a can that came with Jungle Adventure comes to mind.

Here's a thread that might have more ideas.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/960514/off-the-grid-living/p1

ETA: SimGuruNick has been tagged on Twitter so they are aware.
  • mirabmmirabm Posts: 1 New Member
    So excited to play with this trait! One complaint though is you can't bathe your dog with an "off-the-grid" lot. The OTG-functioning shower/tub interactions only allow for a "quick tepid shower" :(
  • ThenyoukissmeThenyoukissme Posts: 304 Member
    I also really wish the bath tub that you can make with the woodworking table was an off grid item. Doesnt make sense for it not to be
  • simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    They should add (functioning) wells.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • ditznsditzns Posts: 1 New Member
    A lot of the lights doesn't work off the grid either, even though their lightsource is clearly candles.
  • pookysimsloverpookysimslover Posts: 339 Member
    Along with all the things everyone else mentioned, how are we supposed to ever store food, if no fridge can be used? The coal and wood stove is off the grid, but we have no fridge or ice box or something to store food! So what's the point?

I was so excited to play this part, while everyone was going crazy for the mermaids, I was excited for the off the grid area! Now I'm not!

And like ditzns said, not all the lights that clearly use candles work, I am not even sure the oil lamp does! When it should!

If they were going to throw the Off The Gird thing into something, why didn't they give us special items along with the ones we have, to use with it?

Its like an after thought they didn't think enough about! VERY disappointed!
    To follow me or check out my creations my name is claramj and my avatar is Nikki Cat, she's in my gallery!
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited June 2019
    @pookysimslover You can store food in any refrigerator off the grid, I was able to do it no problem. None of the refrigerators say they can be used off the grid, but they can...somewhat. You'll be able to 'cook' regular salad and fruit salad, that's it, and store food. If you have one of the stoves that say they work off the grid, you can make a couple dishes (eggs & toast and I think grilled cheese is what it showed, but perhaps you can make more with higher cooking skill. Her Sim was brand new) when you 'cook with gas' on them. You need a fridge to use it though or else you can't do anything with the stove for some reason.

I saw a YT by the UKSimmer that showed this information about the stove. My Sim didn't have a stove, he just ate salads and fresh produce. I haven't had him use the grill yet since he's a vegetarian. Although, he could make grilled fruit on it I guess. :)

EDIT: Obviously you need a counter to prepare the food as well.

Source: She realizes she can use the refrigerator and cook dishes around the 19:40 mark, so towards the end if you don't want to watch the entire video.

https://youtu.be/EAyIIxO7prw
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Off the grid isn't really off the grid is it? You still have piped in water from a water plant. You still have electricity to keep food cold instead of using a water house set in stream. You can still use all the objects that require electricity. You can still grill (made of iron or plastic or whatever) without having to start a fire by flint or building a rock stove. I really don't see the point of this lot trait if they can still use everything. Pretend isn't gameplay.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Off the grid isn't really off the grid is it? You still have piped in water from a water plant. You still have electricity to keep food cold instead of using a water house set in stream. You can still use all the objects that require electricity. You can still grill (made of iron or plastic or whatever) without having to start a fire by flint or building a rock stove. I really don't see the point of this lot trait if they can still use everything. Pretend isn't gameplay.

Thanks for reminding me about the grill. The barbeque drum that came with Jungle Adventure should work just fine. 🙂
  • MaryAgnesMaryAgnes Posts: 8 New Member
    When using the off the grid lot trait, I am unable to clean my tarp shower.
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    3. How can my sim get a job if they can't use their phone or computer while on this lot? if we had newspapers I could see this working much better.

Presumably they can go to another lot, like people in real life who don't have computers at home have to go to use the ones at the public libraries to get jobs

• TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    "Off the grid" is not the same as "no electricity." People living off the grid usually have electricity, they just generate it themselves using solar panels or a wind turbine. Some will pump their own water from wells. These things needed to have been included with the EP.
  • freakyteen721freakyteen721 Posts: 173 Member
    MaryAgnes wrote: »
    When using the off the grid lot trait, I am unable to clean my tarp shower.

I got that as well, I'm also unable to clean any toilets, however I can use them and even do a "water saving flush" but cannot clean it..
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited June 2019
    Along with all the things everyone else mentioned, how are we supposed to ever store food, if no fridge can be used? The coal and wood stove is off the grid, but we have no fridge or ice box or something to store food! So what's the point?

I was so excited to play this part, while everyone was going crazy for the mermaids, I was excited for the off the grid area! Now I'm not!

And like ditzns said, not all the lights that clearly use candles work, I am not even sure the oil lamp does! When it should!

If they were going to throw the Off The Gird thing into something, why didn't they give us special items along with the ones we have, to use with it?

Its like an after thought they didn't think enough about! VERY disappointed!

I was thinking this earlier. They really should have added some off the grid items to cover the bathroom and kitchen and certainly more candles. I am happy your sim can pee in the ocean at least. I was cringing at the fact I would have load my lots with pee bushes.

These are some of the things I wanted

A toilet bucket that needed to be dumped instead of clean. If dumped in the ocean, would have a negative effect on the island and if buried it would make the island thrive.

Some kind of pipe bar with little holes poked in it for a shower

Older looking wood stove like from back in colonial times

An actual ice box that needs to be replenished with Ice like once a week and we could buy ice off the little kiosk for a refrigerator.
    1. Patient0Patient0 Posts: 8 New Member
      Hey,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to as this but I'm too new to the forums to make my own posts.
      I'm having a problem where my sim can't take a shower without getting the negative "brackish water" moodlet.
      I know that in Island Paradise and Seasons you can shower in a waterfall and in the rain respectively, but I don't have those packs. The only packs I have installed are Get Together, City Living, and Outdoor Retreat. So, at the moment I'm not sure how to take a decent shower without leaving my lot. Does anyone one have any suggestions?
    2. LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
      edited July 2019
      They could find inspiration in Life Is Strange 2 Episode 3 (toilet tent and shower with water tank)

Off The Grid is a basegame feature, just hope they will be inspired in the future

3. DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
      edited July 2019
      Somebody needs to get their paycheck, and their bossies (or whoever accept this bare minimum work) encourage this kinds of shortcuts :) Why the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 create this lot trait in the first place? Dare I say a modder would do a better job and take time for it.

And who was bright idea to disable phones in the off-grid? It's not like they run out of battery. (I'm aware with what they're were going, but it really went over their heads to include "Turn Off" interaction on the phones themselves?)
      NNpYlHF.jpg
    4. PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member

It's worth noting that when the poll that Laundry Day Stuff "won" it initially won the vote because it was said to include a lot of eco living items. Laundry was not the focus at all. In fact, a pack titled "Eco Living Stuff" was the actual winner of the initial poll. It wasn't advertised as "Laundry Day Stuff".

Omitting-Cool-Stuff-Day.png

Home technology and solar energy...

I'm willing to bet that the pack got votes because of those features and not because of laundry, but then when the pack comes to fruition all the mentions of "eco living" have suddenly vanished entirely. Which is a shame, because it would have gone hand in hand with living Off The Grid.
      Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
    5. CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
      "Off the grid" is not the same as "no electricity." People living off the grid usually have electricity, they just generate it themselves using solar panels or a wind turbine. Some will pump their own water from wells. These things needed to have been included with the EP.

So, off the grid is actually a farce? Unlike when my parents grew up and carried water from a creek to the house? And to my knowledge wells require a pump run by electricity (which my grandmother had) and well water all her life. Big turbine windmill is harmful to birds. I love birds, and an advid bird watcher. I was hoping off the grid meant actual off the grid as my parents as children lived in their lives.
      "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    6. AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,835 Member
      Cinebar wrote: »
      And to my knowledge wells require a pump run by electricity (which my grandmother had) and well water all her life.

The original well pumps were hand pumps. This would have been amazing to add for this trait.
      https://antiques.lovetoknow.com/Antique_Well_Pumps

I also wouldn't have minded seeing them add the bucket type well.

baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
    7. under_sun_and_skyunder_sun_and_sky Posts: 96 Member
      > @TamakiSakura84 said:
      > "Off the grid" is not the same as "no electricity." People living off the grid usually have electricity, they just generate it themselves using solar panels or a wind turbine. Some will pump their own water from wells. These things needed to have been included with the EP.

Agree, it would be really nice if they added items for this. Also options for sims who use no electricity period. Underground larders, typewriters or notebooks for writers, collecting rainwater, latrines, etc.
      tumblr_pg992c6rBP1r42s8uo1_400.gifv
    8. EnderGamer87EnderGamer87 Posts: 248 Member
      Isn't the off the grid trait in the base game? If so then adding stuff for that to be only in the IL expansion pack would have been another complaint of people being left out and stuff, but to be honest we should be able to properly use the trait and not have to buy wash tubs over and over to refill water.