Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Any building advices for me ?

DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
edited July 2019 in The Sims 4 Lots
Ok so, here's the thing. My main household has a house that's quite ugly. It's basically a cube. And a garage next to it. So I decided I was going to build them a new one. And that's how came up with this....well it looks weird doesn't it ? It's supposed to be suburban family home. On top of that I'm furnishing it with the rooms that are already in my sims house, but it's hard to fit them (right now the kitchen and living area are just a sketch). There is gonna be a bathroom, a laundry room and a study downstairs, and upstairs I need to add the parents walk in closet and a guest bedroom. Any ideas ? It's for a 40x30 lot. It's also supposed to have a swimming pool with an outdoor dining area.

It's not finished, the garage ideally would need split-leveling or to be a separate unit, the porch isn't done yet.
I'm from France but I love american houses, with their fancy shapes :)

I'm thinking I'm gonna have to start all over again.

2h2qlpd.png
2z89lj6.png
r1fu3b.png
2n9l5io.png

Comments

• SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,945 Member
    i dont think it looks bad really it just seems very big to me and the garage is sort of odd because there is no way to drive out

but also my own buildings always end up too small for the lot in question so idk :sweat_smile:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • jeepjeepcatjeepjeepcat Posts: 2,302 Member
    I second the 'oddness' of the garage. I've found using the terrain tools to make the 'driveway' on lots with foundation works pretty well. Other than that, it's looking pretty nice! Too big for me, I've given up on larger houses, the sims move so flipping slowly, but it's looking good.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    Thanks guys! I was supposed to split level the garage and see if I can move the door down. I wish we could have separate foundations :(

And yes it a little too big (that kitchen is waaaaay to big!!), even though I placed the yelow tape to have the terrain size and make sure it fits the 40x30 lot it was for.
  • jadonbakesjadonbakes Posts: 294 Member
    I've seen people spruce up garage doors by using wallpaper and small windows (instead of the actual garage door item). So instead of that door use four tiles of horizontal siding wallpaper (in a contrasting shade to your main house siding). As far as making it look like you can actually get into the garage from outside, try using terrain tools to make a gradual slope up to the top of your foundation by the garage. Or I've seen some youtubers put a roof on the ground outside their garage and depending on the roof material/color you go with it could look like a cement ramp leading up to your garage door.
  • DillynJamesDillynJames Posts: 551 Member
    edited July 2019
    jadonbakes wrote: »
    I've seen people spruce up garage doors by using wallpaper and small windows (instead of the actual garage door item).

This is exactly what I do. I exclusively post houses on ModTheSIms all the time, and when I am building a garage I do so with windows and siding because it looks better (in my opinion) than the fake decal door. I also make the front part of the garage stick out a tile or two more in the front just to add dimension to the house. I also sometimes size up blinds and use them as a fake garage door, too. That way you can actually cover up the foundation it's built on and simulate the look of a garage door (Check out my "Colby Legacy home" on my modthesims page, link under this comment, for an example of how this looks).

The shape of the house is great, actually! The floor plan could use a little work, but it really isn't bad! I'd recommend looking at floor plans of houses online to get some inspiration. I would change the foundation from the lattice porch style to something more solid, though. Overall it's a great start! Keep practicing!
    modthesims.info/member.php?u=8889989 320k downloads on ModTheSims; CarlDillynson
  • cryskcrysk Posts: 657 Member
    edited July 2019
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Thanks guys! I was supposed to split level the garage and see if I can move the door down. I wish we could have separate foundations :(

And yes it a little too big (that kitchen is waaaaay to big!!), even though I placed the yelow tape to have the terrain size and make sure it fits the 40x30 lot it was for.
    A way to connect rooms with seperate foundation.
    Note: will only work on ground floor

Other way is placing the "garage door" before placing the wall. Just make the foundation right behind it a plain one that doesnt stick out
    ccBcpyk.jpg
  • EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    edited July 2019
    I really like how it's looking so far @Dianesims!

The shape of the house looks great to me - far from the cube you started with! I miss some windows in the back side, but well, work in progress!

I agree that the kitchen looks quite big -not used to so much counter space! Have you considered maybe removing this wall and placing it a bit to the right?:

laltizvbjy0e.png

Would help make the kitchen look smaller :)
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    I decided to buy a smaller replica, here's what it looks like. The back is weird though. Which version is the best ?

68ecyw.png
    8ytcub.png
    29cvtpv.png
    2wbw604.png
  • GwinielGwiniel Posts: 996 Member
    The smaller version is better and there's nothing wrong with the back - but if it bothers you so much, why don't you build a porch around it for outdoor dining & BBQ and have stairs go down from it to join the pool area :)

A good way for you to learn and get ideas, is to download houses you like from the Gallery and take a look what other players have done. Or search American style houses/floor plans from the internet to somewhat copy their look.