Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Giving past paid content away as free “new” content

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Tiarella wrote: »
    As far as I can recall, they did this to a small degree in the earlier iterations of the game, too. I remember getting a pack with...hot tubs? in TS2 or 3, & then they later gave some of that away for free, & the vampires I got in a pack in TS3 were also added into the TS3 magic-pack--all if I'm remembering correctly. But it was only a couple things, a couple times.

And they got away with it, so they're doing it more and more. I can imagine them arguing that people who buy the packs right away are simply paying for early access to the content, & that those who wait can buy the same items for far less, or if they wait long enough, get it for free. If they actually said this was what they're doing in the small print (do they?), it'd probably pass muster.

If you're really unhappy, though, in the US you can file official complaints with your state's Atty Gen. for Consumer Affairs, and there's the Consumer Protection Bureau, too. I'm sure there are similar gov't bureaus in other countries/the EU, etc.--some with stronger consumer-protection laws than here. If enough people complain officially, EA might actually have a rethink.
    They patched in ‘vampires’, but you’ll need both packs (that cost money) to be able to play them.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • NehemiahxxNehemiahxx Posts: 12 New Member
    That's why I tell people (myself included) to never pre-order the game no matter how shiny and cool it looks. Wait till the 80% sales or buy from outside sources. I'm not going to support a game that's going to rip me off in the process. I remember being so upset when I saved money to buy GTW mainly for the photography skill..only for a couple months later to see that they gave it away for free in base game.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    As far as I can recall, they did this to a small degree in the earlier iterations of the game, too. I remember getting a pack with...hot tubs? in TS2 or 3, & then they later gave some of that away for free, & the vampires I got in a pack in TS3 were also added into the TS3 magic-pack--all if I'm remembering correctly. But it was only a couple things, a couple times.

And they got away with it, so they're doing it more and more. I can imagine them arguing that people who buy the packs right away are simply paying for early access to the content, & that those who wait can buy the same items for far less, or if they wait long enough, get it for free. If they actually said this was what they're doing in the small print (do they?), it'd probably pass muster.

I think they introduced vampires early in TS3's run because it is the most requested occult type. Plus it seems to fit very well with the city theme. They even had their own secret night club. Very cool! Then when they appeared again in Supernatural, it was to add more features for them and to show how they relate to the other occult types. So it wasn't a mere re-hash.Also note that this wasn't a free giveaway - you still had to buy either EP to get vampires.

With the stuff they gave away for free in TS4 - they didn't add new features to them like for vampires in TS3. It was just a copy and paste job. I think that's why the people who paid for it are upset. But really, to me they should have been upset from the very beginning. All the packs have recolored items they have already purchased from previous packs! Just in different colors! That's why I never bought anything - I would have felt so ripped off!
    If you're really unhappy, though, in the US you can file official complaints with your state's Atty Gen. for Consumer Affairs, and there's the Consumer Protection Bureau, too. I'm sure there are similar gov't bureaus in other countries/the EU, etc.--some with stronger consumer-protection laws than here. If enough people complain officially, EA might actually have a rethink.

No, the best way to make EAxis listen is to stop buying anything in the TS4 iteration. As long as people buy them, no law suit is going to dissuade them.

It's not like I want EA out of business though - I just don't want to encourage them to continue TS4 with my money. I'm still willing to buy stuff for TS3 and other The Sims products and spin-offs though. It would be great if they re-release or remaster The Sims Ultimate Collection and all The Sims 2 Stories too. I'd definitely buy them.

• ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Nehemiahxx wrote: »
    That's why I tell people (myself included) to never pre-order the game no matter how shiny and cool it looks. Wait till the 80% sales or buy from outside sources. I'm not going to support a game that's going to rip me off in the process. I remember being so upset when I saved money to buy GTW mainly for the photography skill..only for a couple months later to see that they gave it away for free in base game.

That Island Living trailer and they way they leaked it was so exciting though! The ploy almost got me! But yeah, I resisted the urge to pre-order too!

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Read The TOS - you cannot - all you can do is not click "I Agree" and not install the game - the TOS says you agree and you give them permission. Read it and see. You have no rights to complain when you give them the okay to do that - in other words. The best you can hope for is arbitration on a dispute - but you play the game you said what ever they do is okay basically. It spells it out in the TOS loud and clear.

In sims 3 when they added vamps to supernatural they had different things not to do with the earlier Vamps in Night life. The were well - re-vamped... and much better than the earlier ones. If you did not get the supernatural ep - you did not get the additions to the Vamps from the earlier ep.

That's not true. They updated vampires in Late Night when they released Supernatural. Supernatural still retained some unique vampire social interactions but the hunting system and powers etc, were updated for Late Night as well.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member

That Island Living trailer and they way they leaked it was so exciting though! The ploy almost got me! But yeah, I resisted the urge to pre-order too!

I was pretty hyped when I saw how gorgeous both the world and mermaids were, but my fears that both would turn out shallow and lacking in content held me back from pre-ordering, and we see how both turned out... 👀
  • Anfernee93PAnfernee93P Posts: 42 Member
    Read The TOS - you cannot - all you can do is not click "I Agree" and not install the game - the TOS says you agree and you give them permission. Read it and see. You have no rights to complain when you give them the okay to do that - in other words. The best you can hope for is arbitration on a dispute - but you play the game you said what ever they do is okay basically. It spells it out in the TOS loud and clear.

Can someone find this and link?
  • RaevynRaevyn Posts: 428 Member
    BOY wrote: »
    if there isn’t a boatload of new content to add in a patch, that’s fine. getting a new hairstyle is cool imo. but taking all of that past content that a lot of us paid for, and then adding it to base game for free and calling it new... doesn’t seem right. even if certain swatches remain part of the pack.

are we just buying swatches now? having recolored/recycled items in multiple packs was bad enough, this is even worse.

can this not become a thing?

Ah gosh! I totally agree. I mean, if it's swatches we're paying for, I can get that for free from TSR... Bugga paying for it tbh.

I believe this is the EA ToS that also includes The Sims (correct me if I'm wrong someone!).
    https://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/
    Raevyn wrote: »

I believe this is the EA ToS that also includes The Sims (correct me if I'm wrong someone!).
    https://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/

Ok, correction, that is the ToS for the use of EA owned forums NOT the sims 4 game. If you want to read the Sims 4 game ToS, load up Origin and visit the Sims 4 store page and you will see it (see pictures). The EA User agreement will link you to here: https://www.ea.com/legal
    And this is a screen shot of the T&C you agree to when you install. The buttons at the bottom will link it to the referenced additional T&Cs.

2Mj7T1i.png

qlVU1d2.png
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    edited July 2019
    The way it is now should not be okay

If pack content can just be taken and put into base game what is point of buying a pack?
    but as they already did it they should compensate for the people that bought those packs
    since its also wrong to just take that out after putting it in
    so they should add new things for the people who have the packs

you take out photography from get to work? - you put new skill/career to get to work

you take jacket out of get famous? - you put new clothing item or jacket to get famous

you take fire dance from Get Together and put it in IL too? making people pay for same thing TWICE?

- you add new dance/activity to get together or IL or actually both because thats just so??? WHY?
    they could have easily skipped that fire dance and put hula and everyone would be happy
    and there would be zero problems. zero. go to the shame corner.

Now since they already put fire dance in IL they can't take it out of IL
    and they also can't take it out of GT because thats also wrong and not okay
    I think it would only be right to compensate on both packs
    add 1 new activity or dance to IL
    and 1 new activity or dance to GT
    and have these 2 activities/dances not be same.

and the same logic continues to everything else that was taken out of the packs
    if you took something out you should add something of same value to make up for it.
    because otherwise its like ''oh hey you just paid for nothing have a great day''

Free stuff is not wrong. but taking paid stuff and making it free is not okay.
    and making people pay for things twice is also, not okay.

please do something about it.
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

Yeah you have to look beyond the hype and wait until you see what is actually in the game. I believe most got taken in by the despiction of the artwork and not sure if EA/Maxis put up an disclaimer about it. I was intriqued by at first and knowing how CL turned out It was better to wait.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    They should of just put in the base game from the start or gave it away as a free download if they this was their plan eventually. In a way, it's kinda like ripping you guys off, unless they said the items would be free/patched in content to the base game at a later date.
    giphy.gif

• DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited July 2019
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

They patched in ‘vampires’, but you’ll need both packs (that cost money) to be able to play them.

Actually, I think you mean you need either one to receive vampires. Also worth noting, unlike clothing, every party had to spend money in either of the two EPs to get them. In Supernatural, upgrade vampires receive is just a bunch of additional minor social interactions and a lifetime reward, amongst potions and obvious Create-A-Vampire. You can't really compare the Vampire offer to the clothing thing, that's been that's been ripped off straight from a payed pack to base game (which is what everyone owns that plays the game).
    The Sims 3: Supernatural gives vampires several new abilities. Vampires are enhanced with hypnotic abilities and intimidation. They can become immortal and gain immunity to sunlight via a lifetime reward. Alchemy provides new ways to create and cure vampires, as well as temporary protection from sunlight. There are new interactions such as hypnotizing a Sim with "Hypnotic Gaze". Vampires can become immortal if they purchase the Immortal lifetime reward which prevents them from aging, meaning they cannot die from old age. The reward will grant them sparkles whenever they step into the sunlight, giving them full immunity to the sunlight. The sparkles will last until they go indoors or until night time. The sparkles will give a positive moodlet to appear for however long the vampire is in the sun.
    While one may think that the immortality aspect comes a bit off as MFP tactic, which I do feel they should patched it in Late Night, you at least get the creature (vampires) without the other expansion pack installed.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited July 2019
    @BOY wrote: »
    if there isn’t a boatload of new content to add in a patch, that’s fine. getting a new hairstyle is cool imo. but taking all of that past content that a lot of us paid for, and then adding it to base game for free and calling it new... doesn’t seem right. even if certain swatches remain part of the pack.

are we just buying swatches now? having recolored/recycled items in multiple packs was bad enough, this is even worse.

can this not become a thing?

From the new player's point of view it's a good thing because the 2014 basegame wasn't satisfying.
    To be fair, not everybody bought all the packs so they get content they didn't already own.

The free content isn't a reward for the loyal customers who own all the packs.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2019
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Actually, I think you mean you need either one to receive vampires. Also worth noting, unlike clothing, every party had to spend money in either of the two EPs to get them. In Supernatural, upgrade vampires receive is just a bunch of additional minor social interactions and a lifetime reward, amongst potions and obvious Create-A-Vampire. You can't really compare the Vampire offer to the clothing thing, that's been that's been ripped off straight from a payed pack to base game (which is what everyone owns that plays the game).
    The Sims 3: Supernatural gives vampires several new abilities. Vampires are enhanced with hypnotic abilities and intimidation. They can become immortal and gain immunity to sunlight via a lifetime reward. Alchemy provides new ways to create and cure vampires, as well as temporary protection from sunlight. There are new interactions such as hypnotizing a Sim with "Hypnotic Gaze". Vampires can become immortal if they purchase the Immortal lifetime reward which prevents them from aging, meaning they cannot die from old age. The reward will grant them sparkles whenever they step into the sunlight, giving them full immunity to the sunlight. The sparkles will last until they go indoors or until night time. The sparkles will give a positive moodlet to appear for however long the vampire is in the sun.
    While one may think that the immortality aspect comes a bit off as MFP tactic, which I do feel they should patched it in Late Night, you at least get the creature (vampires) without the other expansion pack installed.
    Yes, sorry, that's indeed what I meant. I know for sure because I uninstalled both Supernatural and Late Night once because I thought I had a glitch. So I wanted to make sure every trace of vampirism was out of my sim. That's when I discovered the 'condition' was basegame, he still was one. But apart from looks, I couldn't do anything vampirelike with my vampire.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 888 Member
    It would not have bothered me as much if they had included an actual substantial amount of new things for those of us that do own all the packs, instead, if you don't own the packs you get a bunch of new stuff, if you do own the packs you get a bunch of new swatches. How is that fair?
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited July 2019
    Lute wrote: »
    Are you guys really complaining about free content?

Don't buy the stuff packs any more and save your money. Be happy that from now on your game will be updated with things it should have without costing you anything.

Good idea. That may enforce the idea to never recycle them :)

And you're diminishing the fact It's free content just now ( you're speaking in present tense; it wasn't for those who bought it), it's duplicated content. It's reused, meaning it does make a sense when the studio for whatever reason doesn't have the effort to be innovative/creative. People don't care if it's budget problem, time constrain and developer incompetence.

It's doesn't seem like a problem at first, but when you considered that said initial content added onto the price of the pack it originally came from. I haven't bought of any of EP/SP/GP packs, but I understand where people coming from these complaints and myself I do find that a bit indecent.

Aside the issue, you do have great advice. People probably learn now this lesson and perhaps start self-restraining on spending money.
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    That's why I probably won't be buying it, unless a guru releases a statement that this is a one time thing and that future packs won't get their items given for free....even though I'd still probably not trust them.
    You shouldn't. In your place, I wouldn't buy it until TS4 ends. That's the only way to ensure the rug doesn't get pulled under you, and regain self-respect knowing your not being taken advantage by a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 corporation. Plus, it's not like the copies of DLC aren't gonna disappear anywhere, so as an advice from stranger don't allow yourself to be used by such scummy practices. Believe me, you'll feel better and I know you know that. You're smart to realize and be aware of what EA is going to its fans. :)
    Post edited by DragonCat159 on
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • stepbot153stepbot153 Posts: 284 Member
    At this point I am not even surprised anymore. After the whole "surprise mechanics" defense by EA. My expectations from them is...well...there is none.
    C6y3sJN.jpg
    My wishlist [x]
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Lute wrote: »
    Are you guys really complaining about free content?

Don't buy the stuff packs any more and save your money. Be happy that from now on your game will be updated with things it should have without costing you anything.

I disagree with the idea people should accept this, but totally support the notion of speaking with your money.

These packs, to me, are not worth full price. Island Living for $40? What a joke. It’s a game pack at best and it honestly lacks gameplay in itself.

I don’t pay full price for any packs anymore because Maxis has disappointed me far too many times. When they start making The Sims a fun life simulator again, I will 100% support them, and every dollar they ask for.
    Yeah I disagree with that too. People shouldn't tell others what they should or shouldn't do with their money. Honestly with how expensive the Sims 4 is so far, I encourage people to wait for sales. To me Island Living was worth $40 but I'm a bit biased since it reminds me of home and my home away from home and the style is so on point with how I decorate and dress more than any other pack although Vintage Glamour was close too since I do like a lot of the classic looks. I dress Boho French Vintage, so a lot of the hipster looks the Sims 4 is drenched in is not my cup of tea. I do think from what I've read on the comments so far, is that people are missing the rabbit hole lot of an underwater area that Sims 3 still have. I'm not a fan of rabbit holes in general, so if I want an underwater area, I want the whole world to be like that which I did mention to Graham about wanting an underwater world with an Atlantis pack and hopefully with a Steampunk style to it for something different and new which the Sims 4 claims to be but isn't. I fully respect your opinions though and enjoy reading your posts. But yeah glad you like to stick to your own thoughts and not let others pressure you in doing things you don't want to do. Social media creates a lot of cliques and sad it is almost taboo to have a different opinion now of days. We should embrace differences not shame them.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    The idea of "recycle" items and passing them off as new is the future of the Sims. Still no spiral stairs or a pool slide.
  • TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    Yes they did this with seasons too. It's little stuff here and there but in principle it's such a scummy practice. Not a fan.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2019
    I got several Sims 3 store sets free during Holidays - it is not all that unusual for Maxis to give us paid for content for free. Look at Sims 2 we got the entire game for free and most of us paid big bucks for that game at one time. So why make a big deal over a few items of paid content anyway. It is a thing Maxis does now and then. Not a big deal - except to maybe those who never bought it all.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....