Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

things i want in this game as a sims 4 player playing the sims 3 for the first time

2...Next

Comments

• Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    cheescaeks wrote: »
    the landlines and the newspaper is like one of the few things i could definitely live without in sims 4 since they're rather outdated

I'm sure that was their thought process, too. However: (a) many of us still actually read a newspaper in real life, (b) it was a great way to find a job without needing a computer, with a new household, if you didn't want to use money cheats*, and (c) I loved that you could do the crossword (can't remember if this was in TS3, but it definitely was in TS2. Personally, I still love to do the crossword IRL, and again, it was cheap fun for poor sims.

*I realize that now you can use the phone instead of the computer to find a job, but I also wish that cellphones were not mandatory. Optional cellphones would be much better for historical saves, as would the newspaper. But this is part of my bigger pet peeve: I wish there were a way to write books without a computer. I wish we still had a paper sketchbook (the digital pad is fine, but shouldn't be the only option). There are a lot of things we used to be able to do in non-electronic form that are now only available in electronic form. Historical saves aside, there are a lot of people in the real world who still prefer to do some things in non-electronic form, for both functional and aesthetic reasons. It would be nice if our sims had that option, too.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    What a great thread — there’s this misconception that people who want things from the earlier games are blinded by nostalgia when that simply isn’t the case. Each of these games offers something that the next iteration should keep, maintain, and improve upon. That’s what so many of us were expecting from TS4.

I just hope TS5 takes the best out of ALL Sims games and molds it into the perfect successor. One thing that I personally need is an overhaul of live mode. TS4’s is like playing TS2 and TS3 “lite”. You can only collect so many snow globes, MySims figurines, and whatever else before it gets tiring. In fact, I got bored of that stuff the first time I discovered them.

Actual simulator gameplay is really needed.
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    What a great thread — there’s this misconception that people who want things from the earlier games are blinded by nostalgia when that simply isn’t the case. Each of these games offers something that the next iteration should keep, maintain, and improve upon. That’s what so many of us were expecting from TS4.

I just hope TS5 takes the best out of ALL Sims games and molds it into the perfect successor. One thing that I personally need is an overhaul of live mode. TS4’s is like playing TS2 and TS3 “lite”. You can only collect so many snow globes, MySims figurines, and whatever else before it gets tiring. In fact, I got bored of that stuff the first time I discovered them.

yeah theres a lot of little things in sims 3 that i wish they kept in, and no its not the open world and create a style, i actually quite hate them coming from the sims 4 side of things LOL.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I started playing Sims 3 with my daughter back in 2011 & I miss Genies, Fairies & Warewolves Lifestates. I also miss the Mastersuite Stuff, colorwheels, the drums, the teens looking like teens & options with babies.
  • EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    Being able to make bad guy sims that were actually mean and would steal candy from babies or make people run away whenever they saw them.

Being able to steal an alien's spaceship to be your own vehicle, so you could use it to shoot up the town.

Fairy houses that you could take anywhere.
  • MaxieMixMaxieMix Posts: 194 Member
    I wish there was actual life stages like making teenage years 6 sim years you know that sorta stuff Idk that's just what I think meh.

• silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    *I realize that now you can use the phone instead of the computer to find a job, but I also wish that cellphones were not mandatory. Optional cellphones would be much better for historical saves, as would the newspaper. But this is part of my bigger pet peeve: I wish there were a way to write books without a computer. I wish we still had a paper sketchbook (the digital pad is fine, but shouldn't be the only option). There are a lot of things we used to be able to do in non-electronic form that are now only available in electronic form. Historical saves aside, there are a lot of people in the real world who still prefer to do some things in non-electronic form, for both functional and aesthetic reasons. It would be nice if our sims had that option, too.

Interesting perspective! Not a historical player, so I never thought about it. I miss landline phones too. While the younger generations in my area really only use mobile, lots of older/middle-aged people use both or landline only, so it's more realistic to create a household with a phone attached. I don't miss newspapers too much ('off' ones were so messy!), but wish some of the interactions were carried over to the S4 phone; eg. check forecast (S4 has the calendar, but that's not so realistic) and read news (with the sims 4 emphasis on culture, I think this would be really cool).

Some other small things I miss from S3 are:
    Bug catching
    Bonehilda (though patchy is an okay alternative)
    Getting caught by police while doing illegal things
    Makeup opacity (most of the eye-shadows look ick due to the over-bright colours)
    Everything teen, especially mood swings
    The separated 'special' interactions option section in the sim menu (don't miss S3's colour and font choices though. Very eye-straining).
    Amapola76 wrote: »

Interesting perspective! Not a historical player, so I never thought about it. I miss landline phones too. While the younger generations in my area really only use mobile, lots of older/middle-aged people use both or landline only, so it's more realistic to create a household with a phone attached. I don't miss newspapers too much ('off' ones were so messy!), but wish some of the interactions were carried over to the S4 phone; eg. check forecast (S4 has the calendar, but that's not so realistic) and read news (with the sims 4 emphasis on culture, I think this would be really cool).

Some other small things I miss from S3 are:
    Bug catching
    Bonehilda (though patchy is an okay alternative)
    Getting caught by police while doing illegal things
    Makeup opacity (most of the eye-shadows look ick due to the over-bright colours)
    Everything teen, especially mood swings
    The separated 'special' interactions option section in the sim menu (don't miss S3's colour and font choices though. Very eye-straining).

there's bug catching in outdoor retreat :)
  • silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    there's bug catching in outdoor retreat :)
    Woah. Have not visited the world a lot, so did not know. Thank you!!!
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2019

yeah theres a lot of little things in sims 3 that i wish they kept in, and no its not the open world and create a style, i actually quite hate them coming from the sims 4 side of things LOL.
    Coming from the Sims 4 side of things, that must be mismatching colours then and EA selling people recolours. And loading screens leaving members of your active family uncontrollable whenever you travel with one of them. From the Sims 3 side of things open world and CASt are actually the main thing that should most definitely be reintroduced in a successor. When implemented properly there’s literally nothing to not like about it. Even when implemented with flaws it’s nothing but heaven for me.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited July 2019
    so: adding on another as i play sims 3: sims that can pee standing up lifting and lowering the toilet lid

lol its such a small thing but like....why don't we have that in sims 4?

I loved when the team used to animate the toilet seats. In TS2 female Sims would always grumble when someone left the seat up. I also miss the dinky, cheap shower that turned really cold (or hot?) when someone used the sink or flushed the toilet.

That level of detail was amazing.

I miss romantic things like the heat-of-the-moment kiss, spooning in bed, standing make-out sessions and the TS2 sofa make out. (When did the Sims series become so prudish?) I also miss the wedding toast and the first dance. I miss couples dancing together, period.

I really miss Sim kids jumping on the furniture and playing together, with or without an object. Hide and Seek, Cops and Robbers, Jump rope, catch, hackysack, hopscotch. I miss all of that stuff.

I wish that there were more things to do around town. Where are the pool tables and photo booths? The mechanical bull? A variety of reasonably-sized arcade games and pinball machines? Ping pong tables? Amusement park stuff?

Other than better personalities and more romantic options, I think that I miss most is the ability to create my own festivals. That, and the fact that, depending on their personalities, Sims used every object on a festival lot. The sky was the limit. Build it and the Sims would come.

In comparison, in TS4, you build a lot and the Sims ignore everything that doesn't 'fit' the artificial constraints that have been put on every single lot type.

I miss so many, many things. But if I had to pinpoint only one: I miss the days when players had the option to choose what we want in our game without the game fighting back at every turn.

Post edited by Cynna on
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • SkeilahSkeilah Posts: 1,762 Member
    I REALLY miss the NPC burglar and police and the little creepy sound effect when the burglar arrives. I always freaked out myself and that was a funny thing xD Now I don't really have that anymore, sadly.

I also miss the newspaper. It was just fun to have the mailman bringing it and when you had too much dirty old newspapers he said "oh no you don't get any newspapers anymore muhahahah". (I don't really know how he exectly said it)
    koppTCP.pngSubscribe to my WordPress blog to stay updated!
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Coming from the Sims 4 side of things, that must be mismatching colours then and EA selling people recolours. And loading screens leaving members of your active family uncontrollable whenever you travel with one of them. From the Sims 3 side of things open world and CASt are actually the main thing that should most definitely be reintroduced in a successor. When implemented properly there’s literally nothing to not like about it. Even when implemented with flaws it’s nothing but heaven for me.

yeah, i personally find my computer lagging and crashing despite it being a beefy gaming computer annoying as hell
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

yeah, i personally find my computer lagging and crashing despite it being a beefy gaming computer annoying as hell
    I’ve never had lag, freezing only occurs when EA messed up the routing in a particular world (there are three: China, Bridgeport and Isla Paradiso; the first you can easily fix yourself, the second becomes totally playable with NRaas mods and the third one can also be fixed but will stay a bit stuttering and needing the occasional resetsim * but then it’s absolutely playable I can assure you) and as for crashing: that hardly ever happens for me. When I played vanilla it didn’t anyway and now that I have mods and CC I just have to make sure to clean up the cache files before playing and everything’s fine. And I always play for many hours I can assure you. And that’s open world, CASt has never given any problems in the first place.

Both features are so utterly great, there simply is no excuse why they had they let those go for me. Especially not when Sims 4 is riddled with bugs and issues (like simulation lag, never had that in Sims 3) as well.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Tiggergirl19Tiggergirl19 Posts: 18 Member
    The one thing that I really miss from sims 3, is the ability to create a family in the make-a-sim section, more than just have there be two roommates that really have their own lives. I always thought that was an easier way to have families in the game, whether or not they were created by the company because the different sims could always have more inspired conversations than they do now. I also miss how sims had better wants/needs than they have now. I really loved the life long dreams or wishes. I think that what they have now is really strange. I wish that they gave more options for whatever it is now than what they have. I feel like the previous games had a lot more substance to them than this version has. I think that a lot of what sims 3 has/had and whatever good things that there are with this version are merged into a new version, whether or not that's being worked on. I really liked the online dating that was in sims 3, because it was a way for sims to talk to others in different ways, and to see who was single better in either the town or another or the world. I really miss the classes that were offered by the businesses in the towns, so that sims could learn new skills. I don't know why that went away.