Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Plum Tree Family Tree Tool: Developers Wanted

Comments

• MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    Can anybody help me? I've been trying to make my legacy family's family tree on this app but I am having a problem. As you can see in the screenshot below, my second gen heiress married Caleb Vatore. I also want to put Caleb's sister, Lilith, on the tree along with her family. But I can't find a way to add a sister or even parents for him.

ZwGTnNy.png?1
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,104 Member
    You have to create another tree, with parents, Caleb and Lilith, her family etc, then link the Calebs. @MaggieMarley Or you may just be able to link Caleb to that tree without creating him, not entirely sure how to do that as of yet.
    @WildIrishBanshee I just tried making a separate tree with Lilith and Caleb on it and linking the Caleb on my main tree to the Caleb to that tree. Unfortunately Lilith and her family did not appear on my main tree as a result :( it’s a shame because there are quite a few places on my tree where I’d like to have the parents of a spouse of my sim (e.g. one of my sims married Vlad’s daughter so I’d love to put Vlad on the tree).
  • zefronzefron Posts: 157 Member
    edited August 2019
    @MaggieMarley have you considered using familyecho? it's not sims-related, but it does allow you to link vlad to his daughter & caleb with lilith within the same tree. here is an example of a tree using familyecho.
    Post edited by zefron on
    // WEREWOLF BOYBANDS //

not so berry family tree
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    I'm having problems just deleting a node, i push the button and does nothing. i tried deleting the entire tree and does nothing. I had intended on building up the Matthews family tree including connecting families from those spouses marrying into to these families.

I've moved across instead to the Tormen family and their dark history with incest. right now i'm just building up the generations and there is quite a few generations before i reach Alex, Leanne and Gerard. You'll get to see a whole other side to a family name with a such a dark thread running through it.
    Hoverael wrote: »
    I'm having problems just deleting a node, i push the button and does nothing. i tried deleting the entire tree and does nothing. I had intended on building up the Matthews family tree including connecting families from those spouses marrying into to these families.

@Hoverael I know that sometimes it takes a few minutes for a whole tree to be deleted. just wait a little bit then try refreshing the page.

I'm not sure what's going on with your nodes not being deleted though. are you unable to delete nodes from your tormen tree too? or is it just happening to the matthews? do you get the pop-up asking "are you sure you want to delete this node?"
    // WEREWOLF BOYBANDS //

not so berry family tree
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    Would it be advised for me to use a separate game file for this?
    wB2Zykl.jpg
    zefron wrote: »
    Hoverael wrote: »

@Hoverael I know that sometimes it takes a few minutes for a whole tree to be deleted. just wait a little bit then try refreshing the page.

I'm not sure what's going on with your nodes not being deleted though. are you unable to delete nodes from your tormen tree too? or is it just happening to the matthews? do you get the pop-up asking "are you sure you want to delete this node?"

i wouldn't mention it if i hadn't already tried those available options you mentioned first.
    I'm wondering if the site owner failed to mention if the site requires cookies to operate or something of the like? i run my security settings pretty strict.
    edited July 2019
    @zefron I have the full family tree on ancestry.co.uk since that allows me to link everyone together on the same family tree but I wanted to share the family tree on here. You can’t share ancestry family trees with people who don’t have an ancestry account, but you can share plum tree family trees on here by posting a link. Can you share family echo trees? For example, could I share a family echo tree on the Sims forums by posting a link to that tree?

ETA: Oh wait, stupid me. I see that you linked a family echo tree. Would you mind telling me how to do that? I did have a look at family echo but couldn’t work out how to share trees here.
    @Hestia you don't need a separate game file for this. your existing games are perfectly fine to use with the plum tree.

@MaggieMarley yup! you would just link it just like you would for theplumtree.
    // WEREWOLF BOYBANDS //

not so berry family tree
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    Cool, thanks! I’ll test this out with my Goth, Bachelor and Caliente tree.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
    edited July 2019
    @zefron thank you. I'm just testing it out here, would you mind telling me if you can see this tree (it only has one sim in it so far):
    https://www.familyecho.com/#
    ETA: Oh I guess it didn't work... I guess I'm being dumb. I can't figure out how to link it
    @MaggieMarley I can't see it.

the link to your tree is going to be found by clicking "share" in the top right corner. after clicking that the gray box on the left is going to show two sections: the top one is to share the tree via email & the bottom section is a link to your tree. just copy the link in the bottom box and you're good to post it like a regular link.
    // WEREWOLF BOYBANDS //

not so berry family tree
    @zefron when I click 'share' on the top right it says: 'You cannot share the family with Scarlett Black. Please try clicking someone else on the tree. '. I can't see anything else.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,104 Member
    @WildIrishBanshee I just tried making a separate tree with Lilith and Caleb on it and linking the Caleb on my main tree to the Caleb to that tree. Unfortunately Lilith and her family did not appear on my main tree as a result :( it’s a shame because there are quite a few places on my tree where I’d like to have the parents of a spouse of my sim (e.g. one of my sims married Vlad’s daughter so I’d love to put Vlad on the tree).

Yeah, you don't see it in the main tree, you can just tell that there is a tree linked to Caleb for more information. Not sure if it shows up on the node or just in the node's information.
    @MaggieMarley it worked!

yeah, for some reason it won't let you get a link for your tree if the person you clicked on is marked as dead.
    // WEREWOLF BOYBANDS //

not so berry family tree
    @zefron thank you so much! Family echo looks like it is exactly what I wanted :smile: Oh boy now to make my enormous family tree for the second time in two days...
  • SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    @zefron thank you so much! Family echo looks like it is exactly what I wanted :smile: Oh boy now to make my enormous family tree for the second time in two days...

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!
    edited July 2019
    familyecho apparently uses weak encryption, so i'm gonna be simple about creating an account. Firstly i'm gonna test its capabilities before registering.

Much simpler to use and much easier to work with. i'm currently in the process of getting all the family trees together and how they connect to each other, i won't be surprised if a Tormen appeared in one of the families.. It's going to be a long slow night getting all that sorted. :smiley:
    Post edited by Hoverael on
  • ThePlumtreeThePlumtree Posts: 119 Member
    Looks like things got busy in the thread ha

@Hoverael your comments on cookies, The Plum Tree does not use cookies but it does use local storage which is a similar concept and a browser with tight security setting enabled may block that in the same way it blocks cookies. However if you can login and see your trees then you should be able to do everything else as the only thing thats used for is remembering you're logged in between pages and not the plum tree functionality itself.

@Hoverael and @zefron deleting a family tree should be pretty fast so I'll take a look into why it may take minutes as this seems unexpected and pretty bad D: Deleting a node is a bit more intensive but also shouldn't take very long either and sounds like its not working at all in some cases.

Family echo is a good alternative and is used by many simmers for their trees so no hard feelings if anyone prefers that. The plum tree has the ability to link trees but I must agree its a bit cumbersome and doesn't really display massively well in trees. It's something I'll hopefully get around to and make a bit nicer over time.

cmhREQk.png
    @ThePlumtree Oh I hope you don't think I was dissing the plum tree app! I think it's amazing, it's just that I've done a lot of intermarrying of various families and I wanted to show that on my tree. So, it's just my weird game which made the app not work as well for me.
    Looks like things got busy in the thread ha

@Hoverael your comments on cookies, The Plum Tree does not use cookies but it does use local storage which is a similar concept and a browser with tight security setting enabled may block that in the same way it blocks cookies. However if you can login and see your trees then you should be able to do everything else as the only thing thats used for is remembering you're logged in between pages and not the plum tree functionality itself.

@Hoverael and @zefron deleting a family tree should be pretty fast so I'll take a look into why it may take minutes as this seems unexpected and pretty bad D: Deleting a node is a bit more intensive but also shouldn't take very long either and sounds like its not working at all in some cases.

Family echo is a good alternative and is used by many simmers for their trees so no hard feelings if anyone prefers that. The plum tree has the ability to link trees but I must agree its a bit cumbersome and doesn't really display massively well in trees. It's something I'll hopefully get around to and make a bit nicer over time.

That is why constructive negatives are always a positive, something good to take away from the experience and any feedback. I'm not abandoning your plum tree site and if you can isolate and improve the site so it is easier to use, i can't see any reason why family echo should be used again, as your site has some better features, plus better security.
  • ThePlumtreeThePlumtree Posts: 119 Member
    @MaggieMarley that's fine I certainly didn't take any of the comments negatively but rather constructively and very much agree with how @Hoverael put it :)
    cmhREQk.png
  • Celticgamer0Celticgamer0 Posts: 1,997 Member
    Will this be updated to include mersims? Sorry for necro'ing the thread, but I love the app (and even though I can manually type in the new life state and traits) I'd love to see it implemented.