Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Alien discovery is way too serious

I saw a couple topics on this when I used the search, but they were over a year old and I know that gets threads closed for necroposting. So, I started a new one.
My Sim is, obviously an alien. It's the first time I've ever played with one. I've never used her disguise because I like just having her as an alien. I've used her abilities once or twice, but not in awhile, and never on or in front of her spouse. She married Summer Holiday, and their friendship and romance were all the way up. They've been married for a long time now and my sim is currently pregnant with their first child. While on a date, they were chatting and happy. Then suddenly their relationship plummeted so much that they aren't married anymore and Summer hates her. I switched over to Summer and saw that she had was angry because she'd discovered my Sim was an alien.
WTplum?! That's a bit severe, especially given that I've never disguised her.
Gallery ID: LadyGray01

Comments

• TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    edited July 2019
    This is an (edit: long-standing ) existing bug, reported here. Probably would be helpful if you'd me-too it & post the details of what happened with your game.

edit: looks like this one needs all the me-too's it can get! The report is still current even though no one has made a new post in awhile. You could maybe breathe a little new life into this!
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    Tiarella wrote: »
    This is an (edit: long-standing ) existing bug, reported here. Probably would be helpful if you'd me-too it & post the details of what happened with your game.

edit: looks like this one needs all the me-too's it can get! The report is still current even though no one has made a new post in awhile. You could maybe breathe a little new life into this!

I'll do that, thanks!
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2019
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    I saw a couple topics on this when I used the search, but they were over a year old and I know that gets threads closed for necroposting. So, I started a new one.
    My Sim is, obviously an alien. It's the first time I've ever played with one. I've never used her disguise because I like just having her as an alien. I've used her abilities once or twice, but not in awhile, and never on or in front of her spouse. She married Summer Holiday, and their friendship and romance were all the way up. They've been married for a long time now and my sim is currently pregnant with their first child. While on a date, they were chatting and happy. Then suddenly their relationship plummeted so much that they aren't married anymore and Summer hates her. I switched over to Summer and saw that she had was angry because she'd discovered my Sim was an alien.
    WTplum?! That's a bit severe, especially given that I've never disguised her.
    Apart from the part where she never covered her true identity (that should have made a difference), I actually like the debunking had a quite serious effect.
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Apart from the part where she never covered her true identity (that should have made a difference), I actually like the debunking had a quite serious effect.

I think it would be a nice twist to the game, if they are disguised. You could craft some interesting stories for your sims. But you should have the option to apologize and see if they will forgive you for hiding it, restoring some of the lost relationship.
    And there should definitely be a check by the game to see if your alien is disguised in the first place. It doesn't make sense to "discover" what the Sim could plainly see.
    This was my first time playing an alien, and I'm not likely to play one again. Unless there's a fix for this. I like to be more in control of my Sims' lives.
    Also, it was weird to suddenly have my Sims not married anymore. No notice or warning. There used to be an option to break up/get divorced when relationships fell low enough, or you could try to fix it. That's not a thing in Sims 4??
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited July 2019
    I don't play aliens anymore but about 2 years ago I had an unfortunate child hater sim who got abducted night after night and ended up with a total of 5 alien babies (haha), but I never saw the need to disguise them and I didn't like when other sims reacted negatively towards them for being aliens, they were just little kids and I very rarely had them wear disguises. I think only on karaoke night so I didn't have to hear them sing in alien voices. I ended up using a mod that removed the negative reactions to alien discovery because of it.
    edited July 2019
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I think it would be a nice twist to the game, if they are disguised. You could craft some interesting stories for your sims. But you should have the option to apologize and see if they will forgive you for hiding it, restoring some of the lost relationship.
    And there should definitely be a check by the game to see if your alien is disguised in the first place. It doesn't make sense to "discover" what the Sim could plainly see.
    This was my first time playing an alien, and I'm not likely to play one again. Unless there's a fix for this. I like to be more in control of my Sims' lives.
    Also, it was weird to suddenly have my Sims not married anymore. No notice or warning. There used to be an option to break up/get divorced when relationships fell low enough, or you could try to fix it. That's not a thing in Sims 4??
    Yep, I agree. It should add gameplay in ways that you indeed can influence as a player what you want to happen. That is not the case here.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • suzanna13suzanna13 Posts: 1,426 Member
    Sims are blind! I like my aliens to be disguised but it just doesn't happen anymore. They all run around looking like aliens and no other sim notices. It annoys me to no end. It is probably another bug that will never get fixed. I kind of like the idea of sims being upset but that was really extreme besides the fact that she wasn't even trying to hide it.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    suzanna13 wrote: »
    Sims are blind! I like my aliens to be disguised but it just doesn't happen anymore. They all run around looking like aliens and no other sim notices. It annoys me to no end. It is probably another bug that will never get fixed. I kind of like the idea of sims being upset but that was really extreme besides the fact that she wasn't even trying to hide it.

I'm pretty sure I had this problem right after GT and the alien night events a the bar. It stayed that way the whole time I played this game until I stopped in 2017 so it's a really old problem.

But I really enjoyed when Sims at the bars were in disguise before GT and my Sim found out the guy she liked was an alien. Led to some interesting stories, like erasing her memory. :p
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I'm confused! In my game, I play obvious aliens who do plenty of alien things, and no one even seems to notice. I didn't know it was possible for them to react negatively.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
    I'm confused! In my game, I play obvious aliens who do plenty of alien things, and no one even seems to notice. I didn't know it was possible for them to react negatively.

I didn't know either. I knew that alien "discovery" was a thing they could do, because I've seen people in the forums talk about it. But I thought it was just something to do with one of the aspirations, that maybe you went to Sixam or unmasked a townie in disguise. I didn't know that just having your own Sim walking around, being an alien, was going to be an annoyance.
  • suzanna13suzanna13 Posts: 1,426 Member

That's where I have a problem with the game now. If aliens are walking around undisguised, other sims should recognize them as aliens. Disguised aliens used to be discovered if they got caught doing Alien interactions like mind reading but more often by glowing when their emotions got out of hand. I like to play a somewhat realistic game so undisguised aliens that go around unnoticed really bug me. My sims seem to be more upset with sims at festivals using the bubble blower than the aliens among them.
    @Cinebar Yes, when I think back that is probably when they lost their disguises and it still isn't fixed.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited July 2019
    Discovering an alien isn't suppose to make their relationship go down to the point where they automatically divorce. I don't think that happened before as long as I can remember when I played aliens.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Discovering an alien isn't suppose to make their relationship go down to the point where they automatically divorce. I don't think that happened before as long as I can remember when I played aliens.

It's my first ever alien, so I don't have anything to compare it to. But it definitely seemed extreme. I've had Sims be outright mean to each other and their relationships didn't drop that much.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

It's my first ever alien, so I don't have anything to compare it to. But it definitely seemed extreme. I've had Sims be outright mean to each other and their relationships didn't drop that much.

If anything, it's more drama. Summer is a Xenophobe :D:D Get your alien someone who accepts her true self lol
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    edited July 2019

If anything, it's more drama. Summer is a Xenophobe :D:D Get your alien someone who accepts her true self lol
    But shouldn’t it be up to the player to decide which spouse is willing to accept that (giving you options to direct that)? The game should guide, not dictate. Well, no, that’s not objectively true of course, but for me it should.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • under_sun_and_skyunder_sun_and_sky Posts: 96 Member
    If you use mods there are a few out there that will help, I can't play with aliens without mods because it annoys me so much. I'm not able to post links yet but if you search "sims 4 improved reactions to aliens" or "sims 4 no more alien discovery" you should be able to find a couple.
    tumblr_pg992c6rBP1r42s8uo1_400.gifv
    If you use mods there are a few out there that will help, I can't play with aliens without mods because it annoys me so much. I'm not able to post links yet but if you search "sims 4 improved reactions to aliens" or "sims 4 no more alien discovery" you should be able to find a couple.

I don't currently have any mods in Sims 4 except no mosaic. But, I had several for Sims 2, so I'm not apposed to them. I'll take a look, thanks!
  • MelFoxMelFox Posts: 44 Member
    I've just started getting into Sims 4 again (dropped it last time because it wasnt enough like sims 2, but I'm moving on, liking it now.)

So aliens... I was surprised to find they have disguises, and then surprised to find out that my first alien sim met people who didn't seem to care. I don't have GT, so I don't know why this is.

I just made a new family for a new game, to try out Island life, its mum and daughter alien, and their close friend who is a mermaid. So .. idk how this is going to go but I have a feeling I'm going to need to learn how to post screenies :D