Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Have you ever accidentally necroposted?

2...Next

Comments

• SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    Yes, on rare occasion.
    Yeah.. sometimes I just search on Google, a post comes up and maybe is old... Lately I pay more attention to the date.
  • jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    I don't think so, but it's funny cause I'm known to reply to other people's necroposts in threads where I've already replied to long ago (but forgot about it).
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    Yes, but only when I was new.
    When I was new, I wanted to respond to all the things, so I went through multiple pages of threads before someone said something about necroposting. That was when I realized I'd jumped into a thread that had been dead for years. Whoops.

I was really glad to read the official rules recently. Apparently what I did wasn't against the rules, just maybe annoying. I really was trying to be part of things.
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    Yes, on rare occasion.
    Sharonia wrote: »
    No but I am guilty of replying to threads that have been necroed by other members without realizing they're old threads.

Same, which is why I'm counting as a rare occasion. My definition of necroposting is also adding onto the first necroposting without realizing it. XD
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    Yes, on rare occasion.
    It's a stupid rule.
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Same as Sharonia - so often, I'll see a 'recent' thread that looks like an interesting and then, I see the date pop up for the first post. I do try to pay attention and avoid it, but I'm sure I've done it without realising.

I can see the reason for it - not reviving threads that are no longer relevant, or reigniting a controversy that finally died, but some threads deserve to be brought back.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    Yes, on rare occasion.
    Only after someone else posted I believe. A couple of times I have posted even when I've noticed it's an old thread because the person before me (usually new member) has asked a question.
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Yes, on rare occasion.
    I think I have once or twice when someone else has commented on an old thread and in my haste I've forgotten to check the date of the original post before replying.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,288 Member
    Yes, on rare occasion.
    Yes, it does happen. Normally, I look for subject lines that interest me. The ones higher up on the page, are generally the newer posts. However, sometimes, it happens that once I'm in the thread I'll see a very old date. This is why I have asked for EA to date the Subject line of the thread up front, so we all would be aware of just how old it is since necroposting is being discouraged.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    edited July 2019
    Yes, on rare occasion.
    Sharonia wrote: »
    No but I am guilty of replying to threads that have been necroed by other members without realizing they're old threads.

Same here but I felt that counted as accidental necroposting.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    I think "necroposting" as a concept is stupid: obviously, if someone wants to talk about something, then by definition it's still relevant.
  • StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    Yes, on rare occasion.
    I believe I have a couple of times, in less active forums on here. In those I tend to forget that even though they're on the first page, they're not necessarily new. xD
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    edited July 2019
    Yes, on rare occasion.
    FanPhoria wrote: »
    I think "necroposting" as a concept is stupid: obviously, if someone wants to talk about something, then by definition it's still relevant.

I generally agree. It makes more sense to me to necropost, than to start a new post with the same topic. Necroposting is less forum clutter. But, every forum I've been part of has this rule. I think, because they want to ensure conversations are current and relevant. And rather than decide whether an old post is still relevant, they just look at the dates. Less work.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    It makes more sense to me to necropost, than to start a new post with the same topic. Necroposting is less forum clutter.

That’s funny because I feel the opposite way. Super old, long threads feel cluttery to me because you have to wade through all the old posts, many of which were probably written by people who aren’t even on the forum anymore, whereas with new threads, you can see what’s current, get to everything faster, and interact. 🤫😃

BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    No, I've never necroposted.
    unless making fun of the people who do after they do it counts
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    not on purpose but I sometimes get confused when there is couple of new comments on thread and I enter it thinking its new thread only to realize its really old and be like oops * quietly leaves thread*
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • AnisaerahAnisaerah Posts: 26 Member
    Yes, on rare occasion.
    Accidentally because someone else bumped the topic and I didnt notice the date.
  • CodexMortemCodexMortem Posts: 104 Member
    I don't usually post a lot, and when I'm in the mood of posting (like right now) I usually go and check the recent threads (maybe I've posted on a resurrected thread? Idk). But, knowing myself, I think I may be prone to be the one to resurrect a thread on rare occasion, if the thing being talked about is interesting enough for me to forget to check the date.
    gGelhII.png
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,608 Member
    Yup, in my early days I was looking for an answer to something, did a search and an old thread came up, and I hadn't even considered looking at the date, I was just happy for an answer, and I was soon "reprimanded" over the fact I'd "necroposted", and I had no idea even what that meant.
    The reprimander was pretty rude about it, and expected everyone to be as informed as he/she was.
    There were a few choice words that went around my head as to how to respond, but I refrained from biting and let it go feeling just a bit attacked and injured.
    Early learning days!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Yes, on rare occasion.
    Yep. I think it's stupid that I have to create a new post on the same topic just to express my view. The topic may have been created some time ago, but it might still have relevance. I prefer recycling. Plus, my blunt opinion is that "necroposting" is just an excuse to moderate people and exercise authority.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    What's a necropost?
    I've literally just had to google necroposting!! I had no idea this was a thing, and I still don't really understand why it's bad? Doesn't it just mean that someone's found an interesting post that they feel is relevant enough to want to comment on, which saves starting a whole new thread on the same thing?
    I think I must have necroposted, and not even realised it had a name... or that it was bad... :/ Every now and again I get hit with the thought that I'm getting old! :#:D
  • jj_____jj_____ Posts: 167 Member
    I don't think I have, but might have been replied after someone else did. I usually post only on recent discussions.

If I'm about to post about something I always end up searching if someone already did. But also when I search something, I look how old those are, and don't reply on old ones if I want to read them.

But then again, what is considered as old? In forum rules there was example about 2 years or something.

I think that an year old could be still ok, depending of topic of course, but for someone else it would be too old. I think that it really depends on topic, because some older posts could be still relevant.
  • MaggiedollMaggiedoll Posts: 241 Member
    It's really easy to do if you get to a thread by googling a particular question, and just don't notice that it was old.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I don't think it counts if it's your own thread...

Other than that, I don't think I've done the necroing, but I have posted in threads that were necroed by someone else. Sometimes they'e interesting topics, so why wouldn't you want to join the discussion if it becomes active again?
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    Yes, on rare occasion.

Yes on rare occasions.