Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dark Mode

ยซ13
SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
edited May 2023 in Forum Ideas & Feedback
Is there any possibility of implementing dark mode option for forums?
I think there is only green background for now? (correct me if I am wrong)
but it would mean world to me to turn that brightness off a little for the actual forum part as well
since the true white isn't really ideal
โญ๏ธ AHQ Champion ๐Ÿฆ‡ Vlad Advocate ๐Ÿ‰ Team Dragons
๐Ÿก Gallery ๐Ÿ“– Stories ๐ŸŒ World Project ๐Ÿฅ” MOD/CC Free
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Yes please!
  • adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
    I'd love this also.
    origin ID: adduapina
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    yes please, that'd be great. The green is already better than the white, but a full dark mode would be fantastic.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Sign me up for a dark mode!
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    I would like this too please.
    I do have the option with Windows 10 nightlight to make it go all the way to bright red though if I want! It currently an orange shade, cutting out blue light. :) A pale green background would be nice.
  • CrownSimsCrownSims Posts: 470 Member
    Omg please! I literally have dark mode turned on for everything lol Twitter, YouTube, etc. This would be amazing!
    Not black though.
    edited July 2019
    As a temporary measure, I've made myself a mini fix (not perfect, but it makes the basics dark) for the Stylus extension which exists for desktop Chrome and I believe other browsers too (not 100% sure which ones).

You can add your own style for any site & while I haven't added mine to the userstyles gallery, you can write your own style. (see below for the code for mine. it doesn't fix everything, but it fixes some things).

That said, this isn't a solution for mobile browsing, nor is it a perfect dark mode, which would be very much appreciated.
    @-moz-document domain("forums.thesims.com") {
    .nav-bar {
        background-color: #222;
        background: linear-gradient(#222 25%, rgba(0, 0, 0, .1));
    }

#Body {
    }

body {
    }

.FormWrapper {
    }

.Section-Discussion .Message:before {
    }

.Item.Read {
        background: #1a0e0e;
    }

.Item.Unread {
        background: #061e04;
    }

.InputBox {
        background: #222;
    }
    .InputBox:focus {
        background: #222!important
    }

.codeBlock,
    code,
    pre {
        background: #53533a;
    }

.footer {
    }

blockquote.UserQuote .UserQuote {
    }

/* TEXT */
    .nav-bar li a {
        text-shadow: 0 2px 0 #222;
    }

body {
        color: #6a6767;
    }

.Section-Discussion .MessageList .AuthorInfo span {
        color: #ababab;
    }

.Section-Discussion .Message {
        font-size: 16px;
    }

.Section-Discussion .CommentMeta a,
    .Section-Discussion .DiscussionMeta a {
        color: #acb5db;
        font-weight: bold;
        text-decoration: underline;
    }

.AlertMessage {
        background: #bfa926;
    }

.DataTableWrap .CommentDate,
    .DataTableWrap .CommentDate:hover {
    }

a {
        color: #087dae;
    }

.Tag {
    }

.HasNew {
        background: #a6a645;
    }

.Item.Read .Title,
    .Item.Read .BlockTitle {
        font-weight: lighter;
        color: #045779;
    }

.InputBox:focus {
        color: #ababab!important
    }

.codeBlock,
    code,
    pre {
        color: #9d9d8c !important;
    }

/* BORDERS */
    .Section-Discussion .Item-BodyWrap {
        border-left: 1px solid #626060;
    }

.Section-Discussion .DataList .Item {
        border-color: #626060;
    }
    }

(edited for fixed code)
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    edited July 2019
    Yes please. We need a darkmode on this site on both the PC/Mac Forums and the Mobile Forums. It would help my eyes at night on my android phone if I could have an option for darkmode.

If we get a darkmode it should look black like the new lights out mode on Twitter.
    Post edited by catloverplayer on
  • OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    edited August 2019
    If you don't mind downloading extensions, there is an extension on the Chrome Webstore that is called "Dark Reader", it does make some of the colors.. different, but it definitely helps. And you can use it on all your browsing websites. (Edit: it doesn't get rid of the green, but it seems to dim it a little bit).

However, yes, I would LOVE a darkmode for this forum, because this white forum is too bright and I've had to turn on Dark-Reader because I just got over a headache (probably from going back and forth from light and dark screens... ) and this would be great. Also a mode for the mobile because sometimes I visit on mobile and like to read the forums. :)
    A dark mode on this site especially for the mobile versions and one that would work on both android and ios would be like an early christmas present. The whites on here hurt my eyes even with the bluelight filter on my Note 10 Plus enabled at night.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    edited October 2019
    If you don't mind downloading extensions, there is an extension on the Chrome Webstore that is called "Dark Reader", it does make some of the colors.. different, but it definitely helps. And you can use it on all your browsing websites. (Edit: it doesn't get rid of the green, but it seems to dim it a little bit).

However, yes, I would LOVE a darkmode for this forum, because this white forum is too bright and I've had to turn on Dark-Reader because I just got over a headache (probably from going back and forth from light and dark screens... ) and this would be great. Also a mode for the mobile because sometimes I visit on mobile and like to read the forums. :)

finally got this extension and must say its neat as heck so thanks for telling me!
    my nocturnal vampire soul is pleased
    โญ๏ธ AHQ Champion ๐Ÿฆ‡ Vlad Advocate ๐Ÿ‰ Team Dragons
    ๐Ÿก Gallery ๐Ÿ“– Stories ๐ŸŒ World Project ๐Ÿฅ” MOD/CC Free
    edited October 2019
    You can turn on a night time setting in Windows 10 in Display settings giving a warmer colour and set times to turn it on to remove the blue light some time before you go to bed as advised by Doctors. You can use it all the time if you want to.

Power display settings also let you set the screen brightness to whatever you want. I usually put my screen on 75% all the time except for games. There's a lot you can do yourself without using Apps. on a PC.
    @Simburian Yeah, those do work but they're not really dark mode, aka light text on dark background.

I continue relying on Stylus on desktop but it's no help on mobile, unfortunately.
    edited October 2019
    Hi @darrenfroggy I'm now writing this on a blackscreen, white on black, green names and yellow for the Flag, Quote,,,,,etc. I experimented with the Display Dark setting but that didn't change this screen from white to black but going to the HIGH CONTRAST settings afterwards got me my black screen with the white lettering you may like. Hope this helps. I am going to change mine back as I like black on white! :)

You just turn it on!
    Shame about the mobile maybe Android can do something similar.
    @Simburian Oh that's great to know :D (now, if Mac's Dark Mode did the trick too, that'd be awesome!) Thank you for testing it!
    @Simburian Oh that's great to know :D (now, if Mac's Dark Mode did the trick too, that'd be awesome!) Thank you for testing it!

Has it got a High contrast setting for the visually impaired though? I would have thought it should have if it's supposed to have a better display than a PC. :Do:)

Has it got a High contrast setting for the visually impaired though? I would have thought it should have if it's supposed to have a better display than a PC. :Do:)

Oh it does. It just changes things to a little too high a contrast.

The one that I'm using (Stylus) gets me this:
    XBfs0PF.png

High Contrast is, well, invert everything kinda thing. Which also affects images and emoticons and any other graphics. Which is not the desired effect, unfortunately.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    no no black for forum would make the forum hard to read
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
    no no black for forum would make the forum hard to read

We're talking about an option, not about a full change. The current version would stay for those who like it, the dark mode would be for those who prefer that.
    @darrenfroggy It just shows you that Mac and Windows still haven't got it right for the visually impaired as my display was a bit better but I still couldn't see the Flags, Quotes etc.
    My Kindle App for the Samsung tablet does it better, offering white, black, sepia, and green backgrounds and lots of options for bold text, etc. i can only suppose that EA/Maxis don't see any longevity of the forum so don't bother to help.
  • AyeffenAyeffen Posts: 258 Member
    Thanks @darrenfroggy for the temporary fix - altered it slightly so that the posts appear on a light-mid grey instead of the same as the bg. Does my eyes no favours :lol:

I think this would be a good option as lots of developers seem to have realised blue light and eye-strain does not make a happy user.
    1NraNSJ.png
    My Gallery ๐Ÿ  | Gamer ๐ŸŽฎ | Husband ๐Ÿ‘ฌ
    I need darkmode on this site for my phone especially at night. I'm on android.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    Yes, I really want dark mode. It is so much better for the eyes.
  • FaeChaiFaeChai Posts: 87 Member
    Dark mode please! I like the green but it's bright and Dark Mode is easier on the eyes.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top