Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you tolerate it?? (CC question)

I have just express a interest in downloading CC again...
but I am SUPER annoyed with the ad.fly crap...sometimes it doesn't even go to the right page or take me to the download after I x out and redo it over 5 times sometimes.... >.< This site can't be safe....but it yells at me when I have my ad blocker on so...what the heck?
Most of the downloads I want are with ad.fly and no other option.

Comments

• QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    I never download from adfly. If it's on adfly, then it doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned.

Also, someone posted a site you can use to bypass shady ad sites and take you directly to the file source, but I haven't tried it yet and don't remember what it's called. Maybe someone on here can post it again?
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    I hear you! It’s one of the reasons why I only download CC from one creator. I love all he makes, he’s active and fixes CC when needed, and I don’t have to go thru the extra trouble of trying to remember where I got what from.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited July 2019
    There are plenty of non-AdFly links around. You must be going to all the wrong sites. I encounter AdFly links so rarely that it doesn’t bother me if I have to skip that bit of CC.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    So_Money wrote: »
    There are plenty of non-AdFly links around. You must be going to all the wrong sites.

I used lana's CC finder which is basically a big tumblr with content.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    There are plenty of non-AdFly links around. You must be going to all the wrong sites.

Typically that’s a reasonable route to take, but you somehow must be choosing stuff from the few CC creators who only offer AdFly links. Usually, any decent creator will offer a non-AdFly link as an alternate.

Typically that’s a reasonable route to take, but you somehow must be choosing stuff from the few CC creators who only offer AdFly links. Usually, any decent creator will offer a non-AdFly link as an alternate.

I must be picking the ones with adfly only because I have had A TIME tonight....each other I had to click on 10 times almost till it FINALLY took me to the link.
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    I use an adfly skipper as a chrome extension, but I usually opt to find alternate downloads without those. I'm glad most creators are shifting to patreon vs using adfly, because it's true, adfly is full of viruses.
  • MorkovkaMorkovka Posts: 662 Member
    Before I minimized my cc down to 30 mods, I used to download hundreds of them every day, including those on ad.fly. My antivirus was warning me constantly about the potential danger of this site, but actively blocked downloads only a couple of times. No viruses caught. So yeah, it's dangerous. You can be careful if you have decent protection, but if not sure, better avoid it.
    Cement wrote: »
    I use an adfly skipper as a chrome extension, but I usually opt to find alternate downloads without those. I'm glad most creators are shifting to patreon vs using adfly, because it's true, adfly is full of viruses.

Can you direct me to adfly skipper?
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,177 Member
    Like I've said, I wouldn't let my worst enemy use ad.fly.
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    @KaeChan2089 I use this one :) I'm not sure about other browsers since I only use chrome though
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    edited July 2019
    @QueenofMyshuno was it this tumblr page?

adfreeuploads
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited July 2019
    There should be a master list of all the CC creators who use these AdFly links even though it’s against the rules, that way they can be avoided and reported.

OP, you should use Chrome browser and download a Chrome extension. The one I use is called “AdFly Killer” and makes it so when I click the AdFly link, the file immediately downloads so I don’t have to actually deal with that virus ridden mess.
  • fereldenherofereldenhero Posts: 10 New Member
    AdFly is an extremely malicious and virus ridden site, and is constantly updating to get around ad blockers. It gave me one of the worst viruses I've ever gotten, short only from the time an actual individual hacked me and spammed me with a site that rhymes with beatspin. And I'm actually experienced in link shorteners and NEVER clicked where I wasn't supposed to. Now imagine how dangerous this site is for young children, who make up the majority of the community!

It's also against EA's TOU to permanently put CC behind a paywall. If I were you, I would cease trying to download any cc that uses it. Lana hasn't updated in quite some time, and AdFly is becoming more and more frowned upon in the CC community. I rarely find new stuff using it nowadays.

If you find something behind AdFly that you really must have, definitely just use adfreereuploads on tumblr!
  • poltergeistpoltergeist Posts: 1,411 Member
    Also, someone posted a site you can use to bypass shady ad sites and take you directly to the file source, but I haven't tried it yet and don't remember what it's called. Maybe someone on here can post it again?
    you can use unshorten.it for this, or download the adfly skipper chrome extension.
    origin id: kuhpflanzen ∘ tumblr
    tumblr_inline_p3itdx0yaH1v2uzv2_1280.gif

Thank you guys so much I just downloaded the adfly skipper ^^
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I have just express a interest in downloading CC again...
    but I am SUPER annoyed with the ad.fly plum...sometimes it doesn't even go to the right page or take me to the download after I x out and redo it over 5 times sometimes.... >.< This site can't be safe....but it yells at me when I have my ad blocker on so...what the heck?
    Most of the downloads I want are with ad.fly and no other option.

I just close the page when I see adfly. There is a Tumblr ran by someone that had a virus by them who now shares things behind adfly freely. I don't know if I can share the link though.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,594 Member
    edited July 2019
    You're gonna come across links with short.se and other link shorteners from certain creators in which it's difficult to get to said content (by then it's not worth getting their content as anyone that uses a fly doesnt care about anyone just that half of a cent for each download.) But if you REALLY gotta have it...

If you get stuck at an adfly screen or cant skip it you can right click on the window and (think its inspect source for chrome) and you should get a page with the html code on it.

Ctrl + F type in decode and you'll find the link you need to copy and paste to bypass to the download.

Ad-fly skipper and script safe are gonna be your allies in downloading links behind paywalls like that.
    Post edited by LadyKyn on
    5vJrxmT.png
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    There's not a piece of cc out there that I want bad enough to deal with Ad.fly
    p8L4V6v.png
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Once you have good antivirus that block malicious redirect sites, dealing with adfly is bearable aside from its annoying pop up to tell you disable adblock(had it not giving popup and vulgar ads, I wouldnt mind) but it is rare that modders put their link behind adfly.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    I understand that CC creators want to get ad revenue for their CC, but adfly is definitely not the solution, I get messages from Symantec that it is a malicious site every time I click on the adfly link.

Luckily, a lot of CC creators seem to remove the adfly links now and as others have posted, it is actually against EA's Terms of service to put CC behind a paywall (because EA owns the game), but modding has always been a little of a grey area...
  • Sheri_C67Sheri_C67 Posts: 1 New Member
    The events made by Kiara is good at that. She has a Patreon and when the three weeks is up she keeps the cc behind a paywall that's impossible to access and tells people on her blog they have to make a donation and send proof in order to get the simsfileshare or mediafire links. That's wrong and I am trying to find out how to report it.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I only download cc from TSR. And only a few creators from there. Anto is one.
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,372 Member
    Mod the sims and TSR are the sites I go to first. Sometimes I run across a site I used to go to back when I played ts2 & ts3. When that happens I'll check them out. But that adfly is an issue and most of the time I'll not bother with it. Especially since the other sites are easy to use and there are a lot of very nice things on the sites I normally use.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    This. ^^^
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.