March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Hogwarts [Harry Potter Fans!]

PrincessAmyPrincessAmy Posts: 225 Member
edited August 2019 in Off Topic Chat
Hello everyone!

Does anyone else also like the Harry Potter series? What house is everyone in?
I don't have a goal for this thread apart from let's just talk about the series! Houses, movies, books (please remember to mark spoilers!), Hogwarts, questions, etc.. Have fun everyone!

I am a Hufflepuff.. as shown in my signature haha
Question of the week:
What do you feel was the worst thing Harry done? This can range from doing something really silly to really mean!

Please remember to respect everyone's opinion!
Post edited by PrincessAmy on

Comments

• nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I'm a Slytherin :naughty:
    funny-gifs20.gif

• PrincessAmyPrincessAmy Posts: 225 Member
    edited July 2019

That's nice! My mother is a Slytherin too actually haha being a Hufflepuff I am very different to her. Which is your favourite movie/book?

That's nice! My mother is a Slytherin too actually haha being a Hufflepuff I am very different to her. Which is your favourite movie/book?

Well, my favorite movie is Seven Pt.2, but my favorite book is 6. They didn't do nearly as good a job in the 6 movie though.
    funny-gifs20.gif

Well, my favorite movie is Seven Pt.2, but my favorite book is 6. They didn't do nearly as good a job in the 6 movie though.

Wow my favourite is the complete opposite on the timeline haha, my favourite is Philosopher's Stone.. :D I do really like Chamber of Secrets though! I actually have the Slytherin edition of the book.. I am hoping to get a Hufflepuff one. Have you ever been to one of the stores/studios? (If anyone else will be reading this please feel free to answer too! I made the thread for everyone to talk about the series haha so say anything you'd like!)
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    Slytherin proud here.

I'm currently trying to reread the books. For such a big Harry Potter fan I've only read the whole series once. I keep starting it and then around book 2 or 3 life gets in the way and I fall off track. Currently on book 1.

I'd say my favourite both of the books and movies is the first one. I like seeing where the magic started. Also for the movies I think it was able to stick to the book best. They had to cut more and more and the books got longer. Though I love that they split the last one into 2 movies to combat that.

I'm also currently super bummed because we used to have diagon alley here every year since the cursed child release. So it wasn't a long running tradition but it was fun. One of the neighbourhoods changed into diagon alley for the day and stores had themed merchandise and people dressed up and it was fun. I liked it because it brought some of the magic here. The theme park and studios and stuff are so far away from me I may never get to go to them. So this brought a slice of fun to me. But I found out it wont happen this year :(.
  • afai1261afai1261 Posts: 2,030 Member
    Proud Ravenclaw here!

My favourite book/movie is probably Goblet of Fire
    @dreamerz13
    I hope you are enjoying reading the books again! I want to read them too, but I am currently moving.. I can't yet haha. I hope to buy the Hufflepuff editions! I also like the first one a lot, I think it has a lot of charm that unfortunately the last ones didn't have for me. I absolutely loved Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets movies when I was young, I remember always watching them haha and waiting for my letter from Hogwarts!

That is sad! I hope they will bring it back next year! We don't have that here but I do live in London (well.. it is my hometown but I am moving out in a few days) so I have been able to visit the official store a few times. Where I am moving to doesn't have a Harry Potter store but it does access to a city 2 hours away that does have 2 official stores. They have quite funny names, one being "The shop that must not be named" and the other "The boy wizard". Will the Diagon Alley comeback next year to your area?

@afai1261 Hello!
    Goblet of Fire is a really scary one haha, I still don't understand why Hogwarts allowed for such a dangerous tournament. I think the movie etc. is really good! I just still can't understand why Dumbledore is okay with his students potentially dying haha

@afai1261 Hello!
    Goblet of Fire is a really scary one haha, I still don't understand why Hogwarts allowed for such a dangerous tournament. I think the movie etc. is really good! I just still can't understand why Dumbledore is okay with his students potentially dying haha

yeah the movie is pretty good but then

"Harry! DIDYAPUTYERNAMEINTHEGOBLETOFFIYAH?!" Dumbledore asked calmly

Ahhhhh I want to reread the books now, but I can't currently as I didn't bring them with me to university. Ah well, there's always next break
  • JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    In the one and only quiz I took I was placed in Gryffindor. But I don't know, the description didn't really match me. I think I'm more Hufflepuff. Which quizzes did you all take to get your scores?
    simmer_jay wrote: »
    In the one and only quiz I took I was placed in Gryffindor. But I don't know, the description didn't really match me. I think I'm more Hufflepuff. Which quizzes did you all take to get your scores?

The one on Pottermore
    edited July 2019
    afai1261 wrote: »
    @afai1261 Hello!

yeah the movie is pretty good but then

"Harry! DIDYAPUTYERNAMEINTHEGOBLETOFFIYAH?!" Dumbledore asked calmly

Ahhhhh I want to reread the books now, but I can't currently as I didn't bring them with me to university. Ah well, there's always next break
    @afai1261
    I was just joking with my boyfriend about that today haha I love how they translated that scene to the movie.. I mean how!
    @simmer_jay
    We take the quiz on Pottermore!
    If you get Gryffindor again - remember that the house isn't so much about who you are but the traits you value!
    Many people would say Ron should be in Hufflepuff but because of the traits he values he should definitely be in Gryffindor.
    (You can also ask the sorting hat to not go into Gryffindor if you really don't want to be there!)
  • micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    Ravenclaw here and I love Harry Potter. I am also rereading the books and just started book II. I do not think I have a favorite. I like them all for different reasons.

I took the one on Pottermore and got Hufflepuff (which proved to me the quiz is wrong, I'm the least compassionate person I know and not afraid to admit it), then I found out that the Pottermore quiz doesn't actually give you all the questions. Took a test I found that does ask all the questions and got Slytherin.
    funny-gifs20.gif

@dreamerz13
    I hope you are enjoying reading the books again! I want to read them too, but I am currently moving.. I can't yet haha. I hope to buy the Hufflepuff editions! I also like the first one a lot, I think it has a lot of charm that unfortunately the last ones didn't have for me. I absolutely loved Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets movies when I was young, I remember always watching them haha and waiting for my letter from Hogwarts!

That is sad! I hope they will bring it back next year! We don't have that here but I do live in London (well.. it is my hometown but I am moving out in a few days) so I have been able to visit the official store a few times. Where I am moving to doesn't have a Harry Potter store but it does access to a city 2 hours away that does have 2 official stores. They have quite funny names, one being "The shop that must not be named" and the other "The boy wizard". Will the Diagon Alley comeback next year to your area?

Yeah I'm trying to get the Slytherin house editions as they come out. Though I only have the first so far. So not doing super well on that lol. Oh well.

Haha I like the shop that must not be named. Clever. Sadly I think they axed diagon alley for good. they actually had to rebrand it last year because of licensing issues. And it became the fantasy faire and they tried to cater to other fandoms a bit. Though it was still 99% Harry Potter themed and still Diagon Allley in my mind. But they say it just wasn't popular enough after the rebrand. I didn't see that literally at all... I thought it was busier than ever but whatever.

Pottermore. I was pretty annoyed at first when it put me in Slytherin. But I was one of the early access accounts and wasn't giving it up for anything. I learned to tolerate it. And now I love it.

I always had myself as a gryffindor but eventually I realized that is like the least fitting house for me lol.
  • AmandèleAmandèle Posts: 378 Member
    Ravenclaw here!

I've read the books twice in French and once in English. Now I'm planning on reading them in German :)
    Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my first language ^^'
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    edited July 2019
    I got Hufflepuff. (wanted Gryffindor)
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,206 Member
    Harry Potter! <3 I basically grew up with the film franchise, only read the books shortly before Deathly Hallows Part 2 came out, and my sister and mother are fans, too. My mother and I are actually rereading the books together now, whenever I'm at home, I read them out loud while she's sewing or doing puzzles, and we always love to watch the films every now and then. My favourite film is the third, and as for houses, Pottermore put me in Gryffindor. I also like Newt Scamander, but not so much the films he stars in.
    I want to welcome everyone new to the thread!

@michelei I hope you are enjoying the books! I see a lot of Ravenclaws, my boyfriend is one too!

@nerdfashion Hufflepuff is not all about compassion really, the main traits are "Loyal, Patient, Fair, Hard-working, True" (reading it off my official Harry Potter Hufflepuff background!) and often it is about the traits you value not who you are! However, if someone really doesn't want the house they are in, the sorting hat listens to your opinion :) I know the Pottermore quiz isn't full, I have taken the full version of it outside of the website as well as the personality quiz that is seen as very accurate and both gave me Hufflepuff haha.

@dreamerz13
    I actually have one of the Slytherin editions! Try looking on Ebay they are often cheap there if you are missing any!
    It sounds like they are scared of the copyright issues, they should really reach out to the company holding the license and ask if they can continue it and maybe gain some support. I can't imagine the company refusing as it doesn't seem you were selling copyrighted things without permission, just having fun and dressing up.

@Amandèle Hello! Are they very different in French than English?

@Dianesims I was also sad when I first got Hufflepuff.. it didn't seem like me and everyone just said the house is useless and is just about kindness. I did research it and found a video that really helped me understand what Hufflepuff is about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqm0BOC6kuM

A quote that J.K. Rowling actually says herself also made me feel better about Hufflepuff

“Hufflepuff is my favorite house in some ways. There comes a point in the book where each house has a chance to rise up to a certain challenge. The Slytherins decided they’d rather not play, the Ravenclaws – some play, some won’t, but the Hufflepuffs stay to fight. The Gryffindors – compromised of lots of full hearty and show off people. The Hufflepuffs stayed for a different reason. They didn’t want to show off, they weren’t being wreckless, that’s the essence of Hufflepuff. My daughter Jessica said to me recently, who wasn’t sorted into Hufflepuff, ‘I think we should all want to be Hufflepuffs.’ I can only say to you, I would not be disappointed at all to be in Hufflepuff. I’m a little upset anyone does feel that way.” - J.K. Rowling

Of course if you really don't want to be in Hufflepuff you can tell the sorting hat and it sorts you somewhere else!

@GrumpyGlowfish
    I am glad your family likes the movies and books so much!
    I also like Newt Scamander, but the second film from that series is so boring to me. I am sorry, I just feel asleep through it.. I know many fans didn't like it so I hope it's okay for me to say it haha. I really like him as a character though, he is a Hufflepuff which I also really like. Also Nifflers are so cute! I actually bought the official Niffler plush a few days ago (cost me £35.. the prices in the official store are so high!). What do you think of The Cursed Child?
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    The Pottermore site sorts me as Ravenclaw. It sorted me as Slytherin once which I also agree with.
    But I follow this tumblr (sortinghatchats.tumblr.com , no quiz yet it's coming soon) that developed a more complex sorting system and after reading their descriptions I've figured out I'm a Slytherin Primary, Slytherin Secondary, Ravenclaw secondary model.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• countesskate324countesskate324 Posts: 83 Member
    A Harry Potter thread! Yay!

I took the Pottermore quiz when Pottermore first become a thing (when was that???) and it sorted me into Slytherin. At the time I didn't really agree but as I've grown older I *definitely* have some Slytherin qualities that have come out lol.

My favorite book is a tie between Prisoner of Azkaban or Order of the Phoenix, both of which I felt a little 🐸🐸🐸🐸 out by the movies since I am a huge marauder fan and those parts were pretty much left out.

I live in Florida, USA about two hours from The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida. I've unfortunately only been twice, both years and years ago, and I've drying to go back! :D
    Playing since 2002--The Sims, The Sims 2, The Sims 3, and The Sims 4!
    edited July 2019
    Hello everyone!

Before I reply to everyone I wanted to say I have made a small system to keep the thread a big more engaging. A question of the week!

The question of the week can be found in the first post of the thread! Please don't be scared of answering! Even if you say Voldemort it's still an interesting and good answer!
    I mean honestly it would be super interesting to see things from Voldemort's point of view!

@citysimmer That is nice! I will surely take the test when it comes out!

@countesskate324 Oh hello! We talked in the introduction thread, welcome to Hogwarts!

I am glad you have been able to start enjoying being a Slytherin! I hear many people get sad with getting Slytherin and Hufflepuff but I think all the houses are really good in their own way! I mean I know *Spoiler for the 2nd movie and book* Salazar Slytherin hidden a huge snake in the castle to kill all muggle borns but.. I did watch a video about it which talked about how back in those times it was more accepted and Wizards where more scared of muggles. That it might have been a last resort if muggle borns tried to tell all muggles about the school.

Order of the Phoenix is a movie I absolutely love, I do of course agree they are way less detailed than the books but omg Umbridge! The actor who played her was really good at portraying the character, I truly felt she was one of the most evil people alive. That's nice, does it have the Hogwarts building? I don't know much about USA but I heard one of them has a Hogwarts building.. in London we have the actual movie set but it is super super expensive so I never went.

Post edited by PrincessAmy on
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,206 Member
    @GrumpyGlowfish
    What do you think of The Cursed Child?

Nothing, I haven't seen it. But from what my friends tell me, I didn't miss much either...
    Question of the week:
    If you could change the main character of the franchise who would you change it to?

As much as I love the books/movies, there is no character whose point of view I'd be particularly interested in. I think the story tells us enough about them as it is (and enough for me to not like many of them, including Harry). I guess I'd leave everything just the way it is.
  • countesskate324countesskate324 Posts: 83 Member
    edited July 2019
    **Question of the Week**
    Even though she's not my #1 character, I think it would be interesting to have things from Hermione's POV. I'm interested to see exactly how muggleborns are introduced to everything, and both the wonderment of them and their parents. Plus she's a bookworm and that's super relatable to me lol

@PrincessAmy
    I will acquiesce that Umbridge's casting was amazing; really spot on. She seemed like an even worse villain than Voldemort lol.

We have the Hogwarts building but I'm not sure if people can go in and tour it...but it's been a few years so maybe they can now. The main thing there that I remember is Diagon Alley which is really cool. They have a bunch of shops and things that are from the book and it's really cool to actually be in Honeydukes and buy the candy lol.

I've heard about the studio tour! Shame it's so expensive, but I'm sure it's cool
    Post edited by countesskate324 on
    Playing since 2002--The Sims, The Sims 2, The Sims 3, and The Sims 4!
    @nerdfashion Hufflepuff is not all about compassion really, the main traits are "Loyal, Patient, Fair, Hard-working, True" (reading it off my official Harry Potter Hufflepuff background!) and often it is about the traits you value not who you are! However, if someone really doesn't want the house they are in, the sorting hat listens to your opinion :) I know the Pottermore quiz isn't full, I have taken the full version of it outside of the website as well as the personality quiz that is seen as very accurate and both gave me Hufflepuff haha.

Well, I'm not any of those. I don't value them either... yep I'm still a Slytherin :D
    funny-gifs20.gif