Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you pick names for your Sims?

How do you generally pick names for your Sims?
(I know there are similar discussions, but let's make it a poll)

Personally, I try to find nice souding name with a meaning related to that Sim's personality/origin/occupation.
Otherwise I have a list of names that I like written down, because I tend to forget them.
I never use random CAS names, mostly because I have localized game.

How do you pick names for your Sims? 204 votes

Using some favorite names I keep in mind.
4%
StrangerthanLustianiciaBlueSeaWavescatitude5lexus20calaprfyJediMuppetLaurxoxStarDreamercrazysimmerr 10 votes
Using the random generator in CAS.
18%
Frn0731IceyJAlrynncchant86JestTruNRoweLizzychicagotinaestelleirishluck1986Jennyggsaraemily112PegasysCheiriPixieFelicity1169fiercephoenix91adduapinafereldenheroSiliClonedorcsyfulStutum 38 votes
Using names of real world people/celebrities/family.
1%
mcruddBagoas77heauxfinity 3 votes
Using character names from movies/TV shows/other games etc.
0%
DragonAge_300905Lady_Ballora 2 votes
Searching for a name with a meaning, associating with their personality/origin/career/hobby etc.
11%
Bluefairy286storyyLadyMeldaIsb917fullspiralkusurusuFreechheitSo_MoneyEnkiSchmidtmusteniPhillipaErdnussBusufuSAEldarinSihuladynightItsJanieralyssad9918fwuffynessWaitWhatYTPrincipleOfEntropy 24 votes
Using lists of popular names in the internet and picking the ones I like the sound of.
5%
RainbowSimQueenSabine-TimmerDoloresGreyloutredorShira3000MagicalZiaChazzzynikki_maeveQueenofMyshunoambaraIVXXXVI 11 votes
Few of the above.
40%
Akl500PKita5399GalacticGalLaBlue0314alexspoom13aprilroseColorist40CamkatHeyHeyyMi9shaoscarBloosmooasimbsimMeteoraStormtegteg87Mizz_Triceyelanorbretonsimgirl1010SimpkinIObelleWyrren 82 votes
All of the above.
8%
auroraael14Mariefoxprice83loubyloulouorangehippogriffSweetieWright_84annaliese39SavvySimmieBearpal64LiELFCrazyNinjaGrumpyGlowfishNindigoEvie0602citysimmerGlacierSnowPatriceBecka28Rouensims 18 votes
None of the above.
7%
Simmervilleduhboy2u2DillynJamesnotasmokealarm09ChuChuExpressMovottiachingpurplexbutterflySimtown15hermioniaSimAlexandriaLumikkaBandakjj_____MaedElDimentio 16 votes

Comments

• PrincessAmyPrincessAmy Posts: 225 Member
    I always randomise them.. I am so bad at thinking up names!
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    I can't pick anything from that voting list because i don't have any names in mind until the babies are born then i have to think of one, luckily i'm a situation thinker so coming up with one is fairly simple. Even when creating a new household i haven't got names lined up until i think of one most of the time.

In some cases it is pre-arranged for example with the Galibrinov's they are Russian, so i needed to find suitable names.
    Same goes for the Wiezincinski's who are Polish and the Chun-Koon's who are Korean although admittedly one name i got from Lost because it made things easier. Same goes for any babies born into those households, they either have the correct name in research or the other half to one of the main family members can name them and going to check isn't needed as it'll be a standard name.
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Few of the above.
    Three different places;
    Random Generator if I really don't have anything in mind.
    Phone Book for last names
    Baby Names on the web, especially if I am looking for a certain meaning to the name.
  • fereldenherofereldenhero Posts: 10 New Member
    95% of the time I randomize at least one of the names. I can normally come up with the first/last name myself once I am satisfied with the generated one. The other 5% I use unorthodox names like foods or plants.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Few of the above.
    I like to think of my own names - some I especially like, or that seem to suit my Sims - but sometimes I get stuck, and resort to the randomizer, particularly for given names. It has given me some good names, that I would not have thought of, myself. It's not a first click and take it - I keep going until it gives me one I like.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Few of the above.
    I use favorite names I keep in mind and names that have a special meaning.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• simgravessimgraves Posts: 291 Member
    Few of the above.
    Sometimes I may use the cas name randomizer, other times I search up baby names beginning with ... I used to use the behindthename generator for more authentic and rare names but now, I don't really care
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    Few of the above.
    I usually decide on names that "feel" right - which may or may not be particularly meaningful (I had one baby boy born on Winterfest. Naturally, I named him Noel. His brother, born the following harvestfest was Hunter) If nothing springs to mind, I'll use the randomizer, especially when making filler families. As a rule, I generally don't agonize over it.
  • NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,877 Member
    Although sometimes I’ll also post pictures with a description of my new Sim and ask for ideas here on the forum. Occasionally I’ll use an old favourite of mine too -but only once in a blue moon.
    Some 80 - 90 percent of the time, I hit the Random button over and over until I find one I like/that seems to fit.
  • ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    Mostly the generator, but I do have a couple of sims in my library with very specific names that I selected.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited July 2019
    Using lists of popular names in the internet and picking the ones I like the sound of.
    Does this make me lazy? If so, I accept lol. I do this especially if I want all the kids for example to have names that begin with the same letter as their mother/father. I don’t know that many “M” names!
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    Few of the above.
    I'm terrible with coming up with names myself, and would just end up using the same few all the time. I use a combination of Cas randomizer (will often change them up a bit also), various name generators and search for names from specific countries/regions.
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    Searching for a name with a meaning, associating with their personality/origin/career/hobby etc.
    I write a lot of books and so I've always been a big fan of etymology. It's a little layer of detail that not a lot of people at all would notice, but I like the added flavour.

For certain Sims, especially vampires, I tie them to certain names from myth or particular events. If you know your stuff in that regard, you can determine what my vampires will look like in their dark forms without actually seeing them.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    All of the above.
    Most of my sims are based on fictional characters (from TV shows, movies, video games, books) or real people (friends, family). If the latter have babies in the game, I let them decide their names, in case of unplanned babies, the name generator comes into play. All the others either get names that somehow suit their personalities, or names that I like, which come from both my imagination and the internet. So yeah, I really use all the suggested methods, depending on the sim.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    None of the above.
    I call them as I see them.
    Trash Kan
    Sparks Fury
    Gimme Cash
    Mango Fruti
    Etc

Or I give them snobby, classic sounding names.
    Reginald Wedgwood
    Elizabeth Dalefordton
    Montgomery Lakewoodfield
    The more ridiculous, the better.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    Few of the above.
    I usually go for names I like ir randomise until something decent comes up. When I want to name sims of a particular ethnicity or have them have a name with a particular meaning, I usually use behindthename.com. I very rarely intentionally name them after real or fictional people/characters.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited July 2019
    All of the above.
    I happen to have archived a lot of names in my brain, as I have had hobbies in the past that would require me to come up with names.

Aside from drawing inspiration from any and all kind of sources, I sometimes enjoy a little play on the names as well. For instance, spelling in new and humorous ways. Or making a name correspond with the personality of the Sim and soforth.

Most of all, though, I like to pick names that have a significant meaning pertaining to the Sim in question. For Sulani Sims, I give them Hawaiian names. Then I pick up some Hawaiian along the way which is cool. I enjoy educating myself when it comes to other cultures and languages.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    Few of the above.
    It really depends. A lot of times I'll just use the randomizer, but a few times recently I've had a particular name in mind and used that. I've also named a few sims after Shakespeare characters because one randomized the name Celia so I decided to keep the Shakespeare theme going for her kids. Sometimes I also use baby name websites if I can't come up with a name, don't like any of the randomized names, have a sim of a particular ethnicity, want names that fit a theme, or want names that start with a certain letter.
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited July 2019
    All of the above.
    Well, I'm a bit of a name nerd so I have quite a collection of favourites. I love looking up names and their meanings/origins. When I create a sim, they are often based on a character I have created in depth and named already. It can take me a ridiculously long time to choose a name that feels 'right' though. I like to pick names that are in keeping with a character's age/birth date and their origins/background. I sometimes look for appropriate meanings or just a name I like and feel suits the sim/character. Sometimes they also go by a nickname, for example my sim Rhys Hutchison has always been called Bunny by his friends/family. When my sims/characters have children (or adopt pets) I like to think about what names they would choose e.g. naming them after a loved one or a name with a special meaning or just one that suits their background. So, for example, my vampire sim, who is named after my favourite fictional character, was born in England in the 15th century, so the sort of names he likes are old-fashioned to most. He is a Music Lover and big fan of the Gilbert and Sullivan operettas too, so I looked up the names of the characters for one that was also very old and would appeal to both of us. He also lost his best friend Leo not too long ago so he would want to honour him in some way. Therefore his daughter is named Mabel Leonie. I definitely overthink names, but it's so satisfying when I find the perfect one.
    Post edited by annaliese39 on
  • Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    All of the above.
    I have a number of different saves and I use different naming systems in each of them. I also have a big list of surnames that I give to the townies so every one isn't called Yamaguchi. In my current save I am doing alphebetical generations using suburbs of major cities near where I live as first names.

@Movotti I wish you had been in charge of the game's random generator. Those names are names I need in my game. I think I have found a new naming system or two to add to my rotations. Thank you :)
  • HeyHeyyHeyHeyy Posts: 465 Member
    Few of the above.
    Sometimes a name will pop into my head
    Or
    I’ll look up names/origins online
    Or
    Use the random name generator to get some ideas.
    GALLERY: jdm14_xx
    LIKE my page on FACEBOOK. @jm.violetsims14

<3
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,120 Member
    edited July 2019
    All of the above.
    I usually randomize the starting Sim's name but from then on, I go with the other options listed above. For some reason, I have this habit of naming everyone in a particular household so they have the same initials. I also use variations of the parents' names for the kids (i.e. Hank would have a son named Henry, ect). I also name the sims based on their parents interests. If I have a musical sim, I'll name their kids something musical like Lyric, and sometimes their pets as well. In my Westbrook legacy rotation, one of my sims was an artist, and I named their calico cat Picasso. Her daughter is a musician like her dad, and she had a cat named Sebastian for Bach. So it all really depends on the mood, the family, and what's easier. By the time my sims get married, I usually have a name for a male or female that would best represent the family.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • ambaraambara Posts: 47 Member
    I google baby name list or something and pick one that I like
  • hermioniahermionia Posts: 289 Member
    None of the above.
    Erm... I just come up with a name off the top of my head. But a resource I like to use for unique names is WMS's name list.