Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are You Playing A Historical Save or Planning to?

Comments

• jadonbakesjadonbakes Posts: 294 Member
    edited July 2019
    I'm playing a historical save now
    I tend to make more classical types of sims and builds. I often make historical sims without thinking about it. An issue is how computer-dependent a lot of skills are in the sims. I wish I could have a more realistic writer from, say, the '20s. Well, I guess there's always the journal as a way to gain that skill.

Oh, wow, and yeah. I guess the constant incoming texts and phone calls are weird.
  • LindsaySeddon1LindsaySeddon1 Posts: 284 Member
    I'm currently doing an Upstairs Downstairs inspired Decades challenge as a youtube series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwdz21D8VTA

I have said a few times on these forums that I would love to see a historical-themed pack, (possibly involving time travel?), especially because I don't like to use mods and CC so it would be nice to properly embellish my historical houses and sims.
  • StarDreamerStarDreamer Posts: 101 Member
    I'm not playing a historical save now, but I plan to soon
    Sounds interesting, and there's some good challenges, but Im too lazy to download good cc for it.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I've never played a historical save, and I don't have any plans to play a historical save
    I haven't played one in the Sims 4 but I did do one in Sims 3. Not sure I will do one again just depends on future content for the game and what story I want to tell.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I've never played a historical save, and I don't have any plans to play a historical save
    There are no mods or workarounds in existence that would facilitate what I really want - a Sims game set in ancient Rome or Egypt.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    So_Money wrote: »
    There are no mods or workarounds in existence that would facilitate what I really want - a Sims game set in ancient Rome or Egypt.

I would 100% play a Rome game. Perhaps it's time for a Sims: Rome, like Sims Medieval but more sandbox.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    Yes, its called the upgrowth challenge by Holliebb
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    I don't have any plans to play a historical save, but I have done so before and liked it
    It was more like the vampire family and in some other save dark elves were historic in all their ways in a modern world around them. It was a lot of fun.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    I don't have any plans to play a historical save, but I have done so before and liked it
    I would gladly play if features like cell phones could be turned off. In TS3 I liked Roaring Heights very much and even got a cc typewriter/computer. I tried a stone age game in TS4 for a while, but I didn't like pretending the texts, phone calls and festival announcements didn't happen.

I started a thread here about the ability to disable certain worlds. Something like that would help in an historical save. Tall glass buildings tend to break the immersion. Create-A-World would be nice too :)
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    It does sound like a lot of work. If Realm of Magic comes with a lot of medieval stuff I'd think about that, but I'd probably do more fantasy than real history.
  • BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,965 Member
    edited July 2019
    At least I try. Since I play without cc or mods, I have to play with what the game has to offer (clothes, furniture etc.).
    Also I hardly travel with these Sims, except in parks. But when NPCs are constantly walking around in their modern clothes staring at their Iphones... well :D.
    But it's still fun and a welcome change from my main (modern) save :). Also I love taking screenshots in this save.
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • PlumbobGrandmaPlumbobGrandma Posts: 438 Member
    @QueenofMyshuno @SilentKitty

Thank you both for your informative replies. If you have time, would you be able to describe "a day in the life" of one of the families you are playing in a historical save? Do you have them go to work as normal? Do you modify all the citizens and houses in the neighborhood?

Thanks again! :D

❀ нєℓℓσ ι'м ρℓυмвσвgяαη∂мα! ❀
  • PlumbobGrandmaPlumbobGrandma Posts: 438 Member
    ambara wrote: »
    I'd love to play one in theory but I don't really use cc, I'm worried it'll make the game slower and clunkier then it already is, and I definitely don't want to overhaul entire neighbourhoods so can't do it.

Hi there! I'm not playing a current historical save but I do have a bunch of cc in my game. It doesn't look like it affects a lot of my gameplay and I'm sure you'll be able to add it fine. I do also think there's a way to overhaul entire neighbourhoods without installing the lots one by one but I would have to check with the overhaul videos lol

❀ нєℓℓσ ι'м ρℓυмвσвgяαη∂мα! ❀
  • QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    If you have time, would you be able to describe "a day in the life" of one of the families you are playing in a historical save? Do you have them go to work as normal? Do you modify all the citizens and houses in the neighborhood?...

I'm putting most of my 1800s stuff on tumblr now, and I literally have a "day in the life" of my Victorian teen, Heidi, so you're welcome to check that out: https://queenofmyshuno.tumblr.com/

I hate rabbit holes, and the active careers are too modern, so I don't have them go to work. I'm going to have some of them own businesses that fit in with the time period, like a cafe, and I also have commercial lots where my sims will go as a club as "workers" at the lot, even though technically they're not really at work. That's what I do with my bank.

If I'm with my big, upper class family, it's very hectic as they have 4 servants and a toddler. My wife is usually in the parlor, and my husband goes between there and the kids. My toddler will get into trouble the second I stop watching him, so my governess is very busy with him. She's supposed to take care of their child daughter, too, but the child usually gets neglected because the toddler takes up all of her time. The family doesn't have access to the kitchen, and the servants don't have access to the formal dining room, so I'll have the servants cook meals. Then I'll manually move the food into the dining room and have the family all grab a plate. Then I'll move the meal back to the kitchen, and have the servants all grab a plate (they have a table in the kitchen). I might have the family go out to a commercial lot, such as the bank or a park, in the afternoon.

What happens during a sim's day also depends on who I'm playing and what their interests are. I have a farming family, so they'll be doing a lot of gardening. I have a painter/photographer who goes for walks and photographs/paints landscapes. I have a teen who likes to collect rocks. I have a family who is trying to marry off their daughter, so they have a lot of dinners with different single young men. I have a factory with a mean boss, so they are mostly working, being yelled at, or going to the pub.

As for the neighborhood, I set a big goal of building all my own lots or modifying maxis lots (no gallery lots), and of populating the world with mostly my own sims. Building my own lots makes progress very slow, but I like the end result. EA really likes to generate those townies, so I will probably be getting MCCC soon so that I can control which clothes the NPCs wear instead of editing them all by hand. I also spend a lot of time looking for and downloading cc, both objects and scripts to make the game more appropriate to the time period.

This is the slowest save I've ever played because of all the extra work it takes, but it's also the funnest save I've ever played. :) I'm so excited you're planning to start a historical save and hope to see your screenshots on the forum!
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    edited July 2019
    I'm not saying I wouldn't be interested, just don't see it mixing well with the game. Also I don't currently use cc or mods and would probably need those too.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    I don’t use CC or mods, and I think it would be hard to do with limited clothes and objects not conforming to older historic times. And of course the phones. Though with witches and magic coming I will probably have a witch living in the boonies on her own with off the grid. I hope it comes with a few items that look more like you are living off the grid. I would like them to come up with a way to use the old looking refrigerator off the grid too. Maybe make food not last quite as long, as it would work more as an ice box. And for plumbing.... there is a well that came with Get Together, they could repurpose that to the base game and in off the grid lots they could make it where you fill a bucket with water and put it into a bath tub, and they could make a bowl you could fill with a bucket once a day to wash your hands throughout the 24 hour period. Add, farm animals you could use as meat, milk, etc, a canning station, a sewing machine you could make clothes and toys, horses you could ride, a way to turn off phones and barn dances where you could play instruments and you would have some old fashioned entertainment. Then I could see making a historical world.... you would also have to be able to set certain clothes as historical so townies would have to wear them, and then I think it would be fun to play a historical save.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    In TS3 I built a city from scratch through 300 years of development. I had so much fun, but then we could create our own worlds in TS3 which can't be done in TS4, so I guess in TS4 I'd need to pretend the modern high rise houses in the distance are not there. I'm happy with what I did, and don't feel the urge to start another big project like that.

That said, I recently established 2 noble families in my main save, and when introducing a new household I always create their background story and play the generations quickly to get some family paintings as well as the graves. Especially the castle is quite historical, but I play the current household in "present time".
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    edited July 2019
    I was hesitating between this and "I'm not playing a historical save now, but I plan to soon", because I am somewhat interested in to try it. Anyhow I wouldn't do it soon, because I don't have enough suitable clothes or packs yet. I also wouldn't want to start a new save (I have only one), so I would have to find a way to bring historical families to my current save and then the townies and my other sims might ruin the atmosphere and it might not work. It could be fun anyway and I have some ideas, but I still need a lot of time to think it over.
  • ambaraambara Posts: 47 Member
    ambara wrote: »
    I'd love to play one in theory but I don't really use cc, I'm worried it'll make the game slower and clunkier then it already is, and I definitely don't want to overhaul entire neighbourhoods so can't do it.

... I do have a bunch of cc in my game. It doesn't look like it affects a lot of my gameplay and I'm sure you'll be able to add it fine.

You might be right, it's just that my game already lags a lot, like the last time I played the whole family was way late from work/school because they just kept standing around twiddling their thumbs even more then usual instead of doing their mandatory morning chores ☹️ It's so annoying so I'm trying to do everything I can think of to make the game run smoother.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    It sounds interesting but I prefer my sims living in modern times. The game is just better set up for modern day style play. I feel like I would have to download tons off cc to play a different era and I try to limit my cc to just cas and a few mods mostly.
  • JosieAnglinJosieAnglin Posts: 591 Member
    I've never thought about doing this. Interesting!
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    I’d love to, but beyond cosmetics, the integration of so many of the game’s features makes suspension of disbelief impossible for me.

Same. I've played historical saves in all of the previous iterations of the game, going back to TS1, and really enjoyed them, but it's hard to see how it would work here. From the mandatory cellphones, to the neighborhood backdrops*... it would be extremely challenging. Now, if we had CAW, with truly blank neighborhood templates, I would probably give it a try, as I definitely have some ideas.

(*I'm guessing a lot of people use Windenburg for this purpose, which would make a lot of sense for some eras/settings, but my favorite was always building an ancient Roman colony, and I don't really see any of the current neighorhoods working for that. :D )
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member

Ha, I had commented on your original post before I saw this!

TS2 had the best neighborhoods and CC for classical Sims, IMO. I want to say I got all of my togas and Roman-style furniture from Parsimonious? I had so much CC back then, and literally nothing in this current game.
  • QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    In TS3 I built a city from scratch through 300 years of development. I had so much fun, but then we could create our own worlds in TS3 which can't be done in TS4, so I guess in TS4 I'd need to pretend the modern high rise houses in the distance are not there.

Yes, those highrises are annoying, and sometimes I have to tilt the camera down so as not to get them in the shot, even in Willow Creek. Like you, I really miss being able to create my own world, or at the very least, have an option to turn the background buildings off.
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,408 Member
    edited August 2019
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    I’d love to, but beyond cosmetics, the integration of so many of the game’s features makes suspension of disbelief impossible for me.

Same. I've played historical saves in all of the previous iterations of the game, going back to TS1, and really enjoyed them, but it's hard to see how it would work here. From the mandatory cellphones, to the neighborhood backdrops*... it would be extremely challenging. Now, if we had CAW, with truly blank neighborhood templates, I would probably give it a try, as I definitely have some ideas.

(*I'm guessing a lot of people use Windenburg for this purpose, which would make a lot of sense for some eras/settings, but my favorite was always building an ancient Roman colony, and I don't really see any of the current neighorhoods working for that. :D )

I completely agree about the backdrops. They are great and add a lot of character to the worlds but make it nearly impossible to imagine the lots are in a setting we want. The vision of the game designers is forced on the player with very little room to imagine that the neighbours are located elsewhere. I think this is also the reason why this iteration feels more American than any previous one. As a European I could relate better to the previous versions of the sims because the surroundings were more generic.

I think windenburg is most suitable for historical saves, especially the island. That is why windenburg is still my favourite world. You can pretend the island is nearly anywhere (or any time) in the world, as long as the place has a temperate climate.