Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Suggestions for doing a celebrity in the 1800s?

I don't currently have Get Famous, so I don't know the in's and out's of it, but I wanted to get ideas from you and to just see if you even think this would work. I'm going to purchase GF. I'm doing a game in the 1800s, and I want a couple of famous people in my game, but famous like they would be back then, so probably like a famous poet and a famous painter. I'm totally willing to use cheats and mods.

Do you think this is doable and what are some suggestions to make this fit in with the time period?

One problem I foresee is paparazzis with modern cameras. I'm wondering if there's a mod to make their cameras older or to just get rid of the paparazzis altogether. Or if I keep my celebs below a certain level, will paparazzis not even show up anyway?

Thanks for your suggestions.
BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com

Comments

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,559 Member
    Early fixed images
    The first partially successful photograph of a camera image was made in approximately 1816 by Nicéphore Niépce, using a very small camera of his own making and a piece of paper coated with silver chloride, which darkened where it was exposed to light.

So, you could just blow passed that one. As for the type of celebrity:

Who was famous in the 1800's?
    People of the Eighteenth-Century (1800-1899) Famous leaders, statesmen, scientists, philosophers and authors. Including; Louis XIV, Peter the Great, Catherine the Great, George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. [That should read Nineteenth Century. 18th century was the 1700s.] I see the author's problem. George Washington died in 1799, whereas Thomas Jefferson died in 1826. Oh, well, even the Internet makes mistakes. :open_mouth:

What does it mean to be a celebrity?
    celebrity. A celebrity is a very famous person. If you single-handedly save an entire family from a burning building, you'll become a local celebrity. Celebrity comes directly from the Latin celebritatum, meaning famous, and is related to the verb celebrate which means to honor something with the proper ritual.

I descend from a prominent American. He was born in the 18th century and ultimately became a Revolutionary War Hero for the Battle of Kings Mountain, fought on 7 October 1780. He also was a leader in the Settlements in the westernmost end of North Carolina, which ultimately became East Tennessee. You can find his likeness, in bronze, in the Capitol Rotunda in D.C. .

Hope this gives you a few ideas. I am currently playing what I call my ancestral game save. My 6th great-grandparents (the guy in bronze) and his first wife, my 6th great-grandmother lived through some very tough times and several wars. I'm grateful for the wash tub and the Off-the-Grid lot trait, as it's very unsettling for them to use their computers and their phones all of the time. I can just imagine my ancestor calling his wife saying, "I'm on my way home, what do you need at the local Trading Post?" LOL
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited July 2019
    If you are looking for ideas of famous people from the 1800s, I have a distant uncle named Edwin Thomas Booth. He was an actor who was well known throughout Europe and the U.S., and also was the brother to John Wilkes Booth, also a well-known actor who shot President Abraham Lincoln.
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    If you are looking for ideas of famous people from the 1800s, I have a distant uncle named Edwin Thomas Booth. He was an actor who was well known throughout Europe and the U.S., and also was the brother to John Wilkes Booth, also a well-known actor who shot President Abraham Lincoln.
    Not gonna lie, saw the last name Booth and immediately thought about Abe Lincoln 😅
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Franz Liszt was greeted with hysterical fans who tried to steal his handkerchiefs and snip locks of his hair. And certainly, the press followed, even if only to report on the Lisztomania phenomenon. Victorians loved scandal sheets, and the doings of various actors, opera singers, composers and other artists were fair game. (The press mostly relied upon artists' renditions, however, since hand-held cameras that did not require the subject to sit still for exposure did not really appear until late in the century, and also needed technological advances in order to print photographs on a fast printing press.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • 7d3h7d3h Posts: 36 Member
    I think it's great idea to great 19th century world. First name which came to my mind is french painter Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec. His paintings would be wonderful on Sims too.
  • 7d3h7d3h Posts: 36 Member
    > @7d3h said:
    > I think it's great idea to great 19th century world. First name which came to my mind is french painter Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec. His paintings would be wonderful on Sims too.

Only difficulty in this game might be his shortness. Is it possible make short sims?
    (sry don't know how to edit comment)
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    I agree with the examples already provided: poets, novelists, musicians, painters, stage actors all attracted their share of fame and notoriety. Social activists (people who fought for abolition, an end to children working, women’s and labour rights) gained fame and respect from their followers, and notoriety and a lot of negative attention from their critics. In addition, in England at least, certain military generals attracted a lot of attention and were part of the social scene (especially if they remained in public careers like Wellington did throughout his long life). Politicians could also be popular, at least with people from their own parties. Later on in the century, with the avid interest in murder cases and the publication of (and public attendance at) the assizes, certain police detectives who worked for Scotland Yard also became well known and gained something of a following.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Lol, the first think I thought of was how popular mesmerism was in the past .. then again I like creepy stuff. So maybe when the Realm of Magic comes out you can have a stage or party presence. I would think a pianist would be really nice then and many other suggestions that are already here.

In general though you are going to have to probably cheat dress the spawned celebrities... because they will show up regularly. Not sure if you can change out the photographers that also will show up as the celebrity becomes more popular. You could maybe use clubs and locked areas to keep people out. I haven't done much with the bouncer so no advice there... maybe others can point out how it can help you maintain areas.
    egTcBMc.png
  • QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    Thank you, everyone, for your awesome suggestions!
    Franz Liszt was greeted with hysterical fans who tried to steal his handkerchiefs and snip locks of his hair.

Oh wow, I didn't realize things got that out of hand with groupies even back then. Thank you very much--all of that information was very helpful!
    7d3h wrote: »
    Only difficulty in this game might be his shortness. Is it possible make short sims?

I have a height slider mod that lets me make sims short or tall. It also automatically generates sims of different heights.
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    Lol, the first think I thought of was how popular mesmerism was in the past .. then again I like creepy stuff. So maybe when the Realm of Magic comes out you can have a stage or party presence.

I hadn't thought of that, but that is an AMAZING idea. Thank you! And thanks for talking about the automatically generated sims in GF--I didn't even know there were bouncers, and I was just hoping to delete the spawned celebrities or maybe get a mod that prevented or lessened spawned celebrities since I just want it to be my own celebs.
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    My painter sim is a 1 start celebrity and I have only played him for 3 days so far. You can also have actor sims but you might want to play them as rabbit hole only to stop the game spawning all their colleagues.

You have the option for all sims to gain fame or only switch it on for certain sims. There was a bug when I got the pack so I had to switch it on by default for everyone, but I can't remember a) what the bug was or b) if it's been fixed yet.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

Hmm.... depending on how you want your save to play you might look into how celebrities glow, their special walking style and a few other things. I had a bit of difficulty disabling the shine but that can have been fixed now because that was quite some time ago.

Ohh... here is something that I had interesting results with when I shortly played a celebrity. The earned fame-quirks. Posting a link below. I tried to make sure that I got an earned quirk that worked with my sim and decided to keep her lower lvl just because I didn't want too many of them.

https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/expansionpacks/getfamous/celebrity-fame-quirks.php
  • sleekoduck87sleekoduck87 Posts: 255 Member
    edited July 2019
    Most of the women who were famous in the 1800s were writers. Men were painters, actors, scientists, and politicians. I was going to suggest John Wilkes Booth as an infamous celebrity actor with the Evil trait, but I see he's already come up. >:)

Charles Babbage and Ada Lovelace invented computer programming (for automated punch-card looms) in the early 1800s. They would make awesome celebrities. (Mrs. Lovelace's mother and grandmother were famous writers as well, as was her father.)

220px-Charles_Babbage_by_Samuel_Laurence.jpg
    CHARLES BABBAGE: Knowledge/Computer, Geek, Unflirty, Genius

ada-lovelace-20825279-1-402.jpg
    ADA LOVELACE: Knowledge/Computer, Geek, Family Oriented, Genius

Programmers will acquire fame as they develop apps.

Now I'm...

zRzFnj.png
    Post edited by sleekoduck87 on
    I'm working on adding my mods to Curseforge. In the mean time, check out my YouTube channel & WordPress blog for more. I go by Sleekoduck. I'm also the one who figured out how to play The Sims 2 in Windows 8 and the original fix is on Facebook & LiveJournal. Thanks for the 100 Awesomes everyone!6a00e54ee3905b883301bb07e55862970.jpg
  • sleekoduck87sleekoduck87 Posts: 255 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    Lol, the first think I thought of was how popular mesmerism was in the past .. then again I like creepy stuff. So maybe when the Realm of Magic comes out you can have a stage or party presence. I would think a pianist would be really nice then and many other suggestions that are already here.

In general though you are going to have to probably cheat dress the spawned celebrities... because they will show up regularly. Not sure if you can change out the photographers that also will show up as the celebrity becomes more popular. You could maybe use clubs and locked areas to keep people out. I haven't done much with the bouncer so no advice there... maybe others can point out how it can help you maintain areas.

YES!!! I have a Multi-Faith mod that includes the Paranormal (Sorcerer's Apprentice) track if you need it. (I even used Jeane Dixon for the tutorial.) I could see it working well with an 1800s neighborhood.
    I'm working on adding my mods to Curseforge. In the mean time, check out my YouTube channel & WordPress blog for more. I go by Sleekoduck. I'm also the one who figured out how to play The Sims 2 in Windows 8 and the original fix is on Facebook & LiveJournal. Thanks for the 100 Awesomes everyone!6a00e54ee3905b883301bb07e55862970.jpg
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Writers: Charles Dickens, Mark Twain, E.A. Poe, the Bronte sisters, Robert Louis Stevenson, May Schelly
    Musicians: Tchaikovsky, Borodin, Beethoven (height slider he was 5' 4"), Schumann, Schubert, Chopin...
    Politicians/military leaders: Naopleon (height slider again, 5' 7"), Duke of Wellington, Admiral Nelson, General Grant, General Lee, Teddy Roosevelt, Admiral Dewey, Admiral Cerverra, Queen Victoria, several of the many US presidents,
    Painters: Monet and his fellow impressionists, van Gough, Paul Gaugan, John Waterhouse