The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do they keep making the content I paid money for available for free??

1235...Next

Comments

• logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited July 2019
    Kita5399 wrote: »
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Actually, I just noticed the new toilet from Island living has both swatches with and without the Island living logo. Was it also a base game item or is my game just buggy ?
    Ok from that angle, it sounds very wrong.
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    I thought in the live stream that they said they had some new base game recolors as well as some pack CAS recolors if you own those packs. I'm not sure though, so I'd be interested to see if the pack specific items still have the pack icons on them.

They removed the pack icons, but apparently you only get the new recolours but not the original swatches if you don’t have the packs. Obviously this doesn’t apply to the hair from dine out, though.

Basically the original swatches are now the DLC? That seems like a weird approach. "Hey, do you see this base game beanie? If you buy GTW you'll get more colors for it." :D

OMG what if EA starts charging us for DLC that contains swatches to base game items??? :anguished:

I don’t think Island Living came with a toilet.

That's actually going to be part of the My First Toilet Stuff Pack.

Lol I was kinda bummed about that too. They gave us a sink, shower, bathtub and counter (but no island option) and no toilet! Smh
    They did this :/

That combined with the missing kitchen item and many other missing things from IL makes me wonder how many people worked on that pack.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,938 Member
    edited July 2019
    Simmingal wrote: »
    People need to take a chill pill, honestly. I dont see what the big deal is at all, what you start complaining and whining when items go up for sale in stores to? Seriously they add a few pack items to base game and its like the world is going under

its kind of like buying a house and paying heaps of money for yard space but finding out the yard is shared yard and you actually didnt buy anything like thats a scam right there obviously people would be angry made pay to get nothing for their money

No, it's more like you bought a house and they charged extra for landscaping, and then they sold the house next door and threw in a couple of trees. You've still got full use of your garden - the fact that your neighbour got a couple of trees doesn't affect you at all. And your neighbour still has to pay for the bulk of the landscaping - they didn't get a lawn or hedges or flower bed.

oh except they just decided to take those trees from your lawn instead of getting new ones and didn't even ask you
    and expect you to be ok with people just flipping your yard and taking things leaving big holes on your lawn
    stealing more and more, first taking trees, then bushes, then flowers, then outdoor furniture...

can that even be called ''your lawn'' at that point. wouldn't you want to be compensated for the money you put into those things even if your neighbors insisted ''oh but now we can use them together only it is on my lawn now :smile: ''
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited July 2019
    logion wrote: »
    Kita5399 wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Actually, I just noticed the new toilet from Island living has both swatches with and without the Island living logo. Was it also a base game item or is my game just buggy ?
    Ok from that angle, it sounds very wrong.
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    I thought in the live stream that they said they had some new base game recolors as well as some pack CAS recolors if you own those packs. I'm not sure though, so I'd be interested to see if the pack specific items still have the pack icons on them.

They removed the pack icons, but apparently you only get the new recolours but not the original swatches if you don’t have the packs. Obviously this doesn’t apply to the hair from dine out, though.

Basically the original swatches are now the DLC? That seems like a weird approach. "Hey, do you see this base game beanie? If you buy GTW you'll get more colors for it." :D

OMG what if EA starts charging us for DLC that contains swatches to base game items??? :anguished:

I don’t think Island Living came with a toilet.

That's actually going to be part of the My First Toilet Stuff Pack.

Lol I was kinda bummed about that too. They gave us a sink, shower, bathtub and counter (but no island option) and no toilet! Smh
    They did this :/

That combined with the missing kitchen item and many other missing things from IL makes me wonder how many people worked on that pack.

Considering the lack of gameplay I think they weren't that much... The next 5 years (don't know why people say that too, is it confirmed?) promises to be prosperous!
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    People need to take a chill pill, honestly. I dont see what the big deal is at all, what you start complaining and whining when items go up for sale in stores to? Seriously they add a few pack items to base game and its like the world is going under

its kind of like buying a house and paying heaps of money for yard space but finding out the yard is shared yard and you actually didnt buy anything like thats a scam right there obviously people would be angry made pay to get nothing for their money

No, it's more like you bought a house and they charged extra for landscaping, and then they sold the house next door and threw in a couple of trees. You've still got full use of your garden - the fact that your neighbour got a couple of trees doesn't affect you at all. And your neighbour still has to pay for the bulk of the landscaping - they didn't get a lawn or hedges or flower bed.

oh except they just decided to take those trees from your lawn instead of getting new ones and didn't even ask you
    and expect you to be ok with people just flipping your yard and taking things leaving big holes on your lawn
    stealing more and more, first taking trees, then bushes, then flowers, then outdoor furniture...

can that even be called ''your lawn'' at that point. wouldn't you want to be compensated for the money you put into those things even if your neighbors insisted ''oh but now we can use them together only it is on my lawn now :smile: ''

Well they didn't take anything from me. I still have all the items that I paid for in my copy of the game too. Definitely no holes in it I can use them just as well as I could before
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,308 Member

That's ridiculous. They haven't taken anything AWAY from you. And they're not going to start making massive amounts of DLC stuff base game compatible unless they think there's no more possibility of making money off of it.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,938 Member
    edited July 2019

Well they didn't take anything from me. I still have all the items that I paid for in my copy of the game too. Definitely no holes in it I can use them just as well as I could before

Well just saying photography was pretty big part of why many people bought get to work
    and just throwing it into base game means taking feature away from already sort of empty ep

at the moment I am honestly regretting ever buying get to work because for me it was about 40% of reason to buy it
    so unless they add something in its place to fill that hole I will continue to feel cheated out of my money
    for something i didnt need to buy at all

also overall no one but ea benefits from reusing pack content as base game content
    because ultimately that is not ''adding new stuff to the game'' its just recoloring things that are already in game

would you really want another 5 years of just recolors of existing content once they get off with it?

''oh hey we put new things into the game look what we found in city living
    wow its a karaoke machine how about pink one for base game? blue one? green one?
    i mean you can't have black if u dun have city living so its a perk for players with that pack still :smile: ''

like i do get they need base game photography for moschino fashion photography probably
    but if they gonna do that at least add skill or career to get to work because its just unfair for players that bought packs

people with packs really didn't get anything ''new'' and only got things they paid for being waste of money
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • ZussageZussage Posts: 141 Member
    I'm confused, are they putting all the stuff pack items into the game, or like one or two from every one with limited swatches?

I don't usually buy stuff packs unless I'm getting them in a bundle or on sale because I really don't need a new hair for my sims or a t-shirt that badly. I can get free mods for that. I pick stuff packs for items that add to game play: I got the kids stuff pack specifically for the void critter battle station and scout badges. I got the toddler stuff pack for the toddler playground and play dates. I got Vintage Glamour for the butlers, and I'm thinking of getting romantic garden stuff for the wishing well and the fountain. Otherwise it doesn't feel worth my purchase, is that makes sense.

Personally, I don't care if they're adding one or two items from some stuff packs to the base game with limited swatches. I still get the full benefit of the pack. I mean, with all the modded content out there, if I REALLY wanted that one hair style or that one dress, I could probably find something similar enough to it or better for free. I think it's a waste of money to buy a stuff pack just for one hair cut or outfit. I need to be getting something that adds to my base game and how I play. If they're adding the whole stuff pack though, every item with jaut fewer swatches, that makes me upset that I paid for it. Are butlers base game now? Is the void critter battle station base game?
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,308 Member
    edited July 2019
    They added a dozen or so items drawn from among all the DLC packs. That’s it. A year or so ago they made the photography skill base game.
  • ZussageZussage Posts: 141 Member
    edited July 2019
    They added a dozen or so items drawn from among all the DLC packs. That’s it. A year or so ago they made the photography skill base game.

Oh, okay. I can understand being upset if you paid full dollar for those items. But, I also think spending 12 dollars specifically for a clothing item or a haircut is just a silly investment and the fault of the purchaser. EA has made this game moddable. If you really want one hair cut, or a pair of swim shorts, or a gothic dresser, I'd mod it in. Free and easy!

Personally, I don't think ANY stuff pack, even the ones I like, are worth the full price amount. I only buy them on sale or bundled in. 12 dollars for the void critter battle station and a few extras? That's a bit much. Six for it though? Yeah, sign me up. At that point, I consider the hair and clothing almost bonus.

I don't think EA is nearly as bad as people complain (but I don't agree with their every decision either). But I also just do my research and aim to be smart with my money. I don't spend more than what I think something is worth. I wanted Get Famous, but not for 50+ dollars. Half off at 25 though? Yeah, I thought that was a fair investment. Do I think Get Together is worth even 25? No, and I won't buy it. Same with laundry day, I won't buy it any price but free.
  • verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    So, they give the base game away for free (not a trial), and now they are taking items from pay for packs.
    Wow
    So new customers get perks, old get F all, the usual.
    and I find it worrying how many players seem to find this practice to be acceptable/perfectly fine....give an inch

Well - haven't the cell phone and cable companies been doing this to us for years? New customers get all the perks and benefits while the loyal consumers foot the bill.
    I too am disappoint with this development. I am sure many people in other countries than the US are as well. The exchange rates make the packs an expensive choice (currently IL is $51.99 Canadian) quite a bit more than the original game when it first came out.
    I am finding the expansion, game & stuff packs are more expensive but less game play content. Honestly, you have some really good modders out there - pay them to help make your packs actually bring game play back to the game. Maybe EA is expecting us to resort to CC and mods to play. I would rather just have Maxis content and not all the hassle of CC.
    EA ID burnished_dragon