Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims need more personality

I would really like to see memories brought back. I used to love that in ts2 and think it added more of a personal touch to my sims I used to love looking back on them. In ts4 I feel i have little connection to my creations theres nothing but stats to look back on which are basically just numbers. I love the new story mode in create a sim but still feel its somewhat lacking in adding a personal touch like a background story ect what ever you experience with your sims is just in your memory why cant they have a memory to and occasionally reflect on them, like missing a former flame, or think of a lost loved one from time to time instead of like a 3 day moodlet and that's it forever I would really like to see some improvement in this aspect

Comments

• BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    Not thread related at all, and although I agree with you in as much as they need more traits and interactions, and memory, I just wanted to say omgosh your little dog is so adorable!
  • StefxxcStefxxc Posts: 53 Member
    I know sorry, I belong in idea discussion dont know how to delete. And thanks about the comment of my dog 😂
  • adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
    I agree. I miss the old style memories so much it actually hurts my heart :heartbreak:
    origin ID: adduapina
  • AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    I missed it completely. I only know about it because I read about it on the wiki, and I don't understand why they thought they had to change it. It's so annoying that the game insists on saying my Sim was happy about being abducted by aliens when he probably wasn't. (He loves his alien nooboos, though. ^_^)
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited July 2019
    last time they add personality update is like, years ago I think? by introducing new trait such as Jealous and added reactions where one's found out their spouse's flirting with others sim. they need to add more that gives sims' personalities some depths.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Dragonfire2lmDragonfire2lm Posts: 158 Member
    I agree there doesn't feel like there's enough depth to sims and I'm a player who turns off ageing and ignores everyone except for my "chosen one".

"group activities" feel shallow, friendships lack meaning when everyone is the same barring job/trait/life state interactions and even those are hollow. I've tried roleplaying a certain lifestyle but it all feels flat, just skill grinding or chasing need fulfillment.

For example, I would love to see a trait that lets sims eat raw fish and prefer meat dishes or a trait that allows sims to fill more of the hunger bar from eating baked goods because they have a sweet tooth...

Heck a "tired" moodlet as opposed to just "uncomfortable" would be good to see, it would slow down skill gain and you sim slouches- that could work as a trait "Unmotivated".

Sims 4 isn't my first game in the series but it's the one I'm most familiar with and I'd love a bit more depth to it.

I was really disappointed with the paranoid trait from Strangerville as I feel like they could've added more to it, like paranoia isn't just about people talking in the same room as you but oh well, conspiracy theorists and all that.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Yeah I said it so many times...
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Yeah I agree with this. I overall adore sims
    4 and it’s sims but they tend to feel way to alike even with different traits. I want traits to have more impact as well and the happy emotion to be toned down so it doesn’t override everything.

I think the story mode is a step in the right direction but like you said OP but we still need more. Memories really would be a nice touch and I hope they come back at some point. I’d love favorites to return as well.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Akl500P wrote: »
    4 and it’s sims but they tend to feel way to alike even with different traits. I want traits to have more impact as well and the happy emotion to be toned down so it doesn’t override everything.

I think the story mode is a step in the right direction but like you said OP but we still need more. Memories really would be a nice touch and I hope they come back at some point. I’d love favorites to return as well.

This. My feelings completely. They seriously need to tone down the happy buffs, specifically the happy environmental buffs. If your sims happens to live in a well decorated house, your sims will be happy constantly, which doesn't make any sense. I also agree on memories, favorites and more traits.
    edited July 2019
    I'd like to see interests return, but they'd have to do it in a way that won't conflict with the traits we already have. Maybe you should have the option to decide a Sim's interests in CAS, and having certain traits will affect interests. Trait-specific interactions will still be tied to traits, though.

(For example, a Sim with the geek trait will start with four interest points in entertainment that can't be removed unless you change the trait, as well as being able to enthuse about new shows or whatever, while Sims who don't have that trait still won't have those interactions available to them, even if they have 8 points in that interest.)
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited July 2019
    I don't believe that TS4 will ever have memories as we know them.

The way that the game has been built, Sims are meant to be plugged in and out of various households, added and deleted at whim. Memories would make that kind of fluidity nearly impossible. Basically, memories would break one of TS4's few strengths.

TS2 arguably had the best memory system. However, that game was also very rigid. Deleting a Sim could totally bork an entire save, leaving behind all kinds of dangling data. As TS4 still tends to cull Sims, imagine the mayhem that would ensue.

This could be overcome, of course. There could be rigorous routines coded into the game to scrub and sanitize memories of any Sim that was purposely deleted. Only, I don't believe that EA would ever bother with the time or the expense.

Not to mention, from my experience with TS3's memory system and TS4's whims, the save file would be hopelessly clogged with memories of excellent meals, visits to the park, and other totally trivial nonsense.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    Akl500P wrote: »

This. My feelings completely. They seriously need to tone down the happy buffs, specifically the happy environmental buffs. If your sims happens to live in a well decorated house, your sims will be happy constantly, which doesn't make any sense. I also agree on memories, favorites and more traits.

Removing the Room/Environment need from The Sims 1 and 2 in favour of using moodlets for it was a big mistake. If The Sims 4 had the Environment need then the problem with constant happy buffs from decorations would instantly be rendered non-existent, whilst the bar being full would still contribute to other buffs such as the well cared for moodlet, so it would still mean something.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
    edited July 2019
    ^ I agree.
    Cynna wrote: »
    I don't believe that TS4 will ever have memories as we know them.

The way that the game has been built, Sims are meant to be plugged in and out of various households, added and deleted at whim. Memories would make that kind of fluidity nearly impossible. Basically, memories would break one of TS4's few strengths.

TS2 arguably had the best memory system. However, that game was also very rigid. Deleting a Sim could totally bork an entire save, leaving behind all kinds of dangling data. As TS4 still tends to cull Sims, imagine the mayhem that would ensue.

This could be overcome, of course. There could be rigorous routines coded into the game to scrub and sanitize memories of any Sim that was purposely deleted. Only, I don't believe that EA would ever bother with the time or the expense.

Not to mention, from my experience with TS3's memory system and TS4's whims, the save file would be hopelessly clogged with memories of excellent meals, visits to the park, and other totally trivial nonsense.

Good point. :/

They should at least change it back to the way it was when the game was launched. It's not as good as TS2, but it's better than what we have now.

Earlier, I read the wiki page for traits in TS3, and I was thinking about how they worked; more specifically, what it said about young adults having up to 5 traits. Adding a couple of extra trait slots for each stage but making them optional could work, when it comes to not breaking preexisting Sims. (How annoying would it be if you downloaded a really cool-looking Sim from the gallery, only to find out that they were glitched because they didn't have enough traits?) Not sure how adding extra traits while aging up would work because I don't own the actual game. ^^;

Another option could be having extra trait slots as aspiration rewards (not too expensive - it would stink if the Sim got a new trait and then died five minutes later), and how many a Sim can have depends on their life stage. I think toddlers would still be okay with one trait, just because there aren't that many available for them, even without thinking about which ones would conflict (angelic and fussy, clingy and independent/charmer... and they can't access the rewards store anyway), but children, teens and adults of all ages could definitely do with a few more. We'll need a bigger selection of traits in the base game to really make that work, though.
    Post edited by AyKooChao on
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    Stefxxc wrote: »
    I would really like to see memories brought back. I used to love that in ts2 and think it added more of a personal touch to my sims I used to love looking back on them. In ts4 I feel i have little connection to my creations theres nothing but stats to look back on which are basically just numbers. I love the new story mode in create a sim but still feel its somewhat lacking in adding a personal touch like a background story ect what ever you experience with your sims is just in your memory why cant they have a memory to and occasionally reflect on them, like missing a former flame, or think of a lost loved one from time to time instead of like a 3 day moodlet and that's it forever I would really like to see some improvement in this aspect

I also loved interests in The Sims 2.
    You could shape your sims interests by having them read magazines. Sims with the same interests would enjoy socializing with each other.
    I would love to see that return with more improvements.

As far as memories being problematic in TS2, you would think that skillful programmers could fix the issue of deleted sims affecting the game.
    Once you know the cause of a problem, finding a solution should be possible. TS3's memory system wasn't the best, and it was highly annoying that it recorded things not worthy of being memorized, but I found it handy for inventive game play.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    CK213 wrote: »

You could shape your sims interests by having them read magazines. Sims with the same interests would enjoy socializing with each other.

As far as memories being problematic in TS2, you would think that skillful programmers could fix the issue of deleted sims affecting the game.
    Once you know the cause of a problem, finding a solution should be possible. TS3's memory system wasn't the best, and it was highly annoying that it recorded things not worthy of being memorized, but I found it handy for inventive game play.

I love interests in The Sims 2. I feel like it’s, today, an overlooked feature because TS2 has so much content you don’t even notice how intelligent Sims really are right away.

For those who don’t know, it was a system that allowed you to cultivate hobbies/passions for Sims by directing them to certain objects daily. After awhile, they would autonomously want to repeat those actions, talk about their hobby, level up in its related skill, and so on. You’d even see them dream about it, form positive memories about it, etc.

I honestly can’t believe interests didn’t return for TS3 and TS4. They’re one of many factors why TS2 Sims are, by far, the series’ most intelligent little people.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2019
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

I love interests in The Sims 2. I feel like it’s, today, an overlooked feature because TS2 has so much content you don’t even notice how intelligent Sims really are right away.

For those who don’t know, it was a system that allowed you to cultivate hobbies/passions for Sims by directing them to certain objects daily. After awhile, they would autonomously want to repeat those actions, talk about their hobby, level up in its related skill, and so on. You’d even see them dream about it, form positive memories about it, etc.

I honestly can’t believe interests didn’t return for TS3 and TS4. They’re one of many factors why TS2 Sims are, by far, the series’ most intelligent little people.
    Not sure if it's the same thing (because I haven't experienced it in Sims 2, so I can't compare), but in Sims 3 sims you direct to hobbies or activities that aren't in their traits list, they will do the same thing. Their wishes change into wanting to do that particular hobby, but they'll also do it autonomously when you give them room to decide things for themselves. Like, I played a sim who had all kind of 'useless' traits (well, it was useful for him to be a thief and and a moocher but you understand what I mean), but once I introduced him to mixology, he took over all by himself, wanting to learn more.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

Interests were superb! They added layers of depth that wouldn't always be noticeable right away. Seeing a Sim change over the course of their life was always an experience. By the time 3 came about I was expecting them to be a controllable feature, as in we could set a Sim's initial interests ourselves, and I was pretty stunned to see them removed instead.

They were in The Sims 1 as well and functioned largely the same there. I was playing the complete collection today and I had two Sims who went from having a relationship value of 90 to a value of 51, simply because one Sim's interests changed - he'd gotten a job in politics and developed a large interest in that, which meant his interest in romance (a topic he often spoke about with his friend) took a large hit in exchange (the game deducts points from a random interest if another interest has gained a point). That was the topic they tended to speak about the most, which meant they no longer got on as well as they did. A lot of conversations went badly.

Interests affected autonomy in both The Sims and The Sims 2. They might be old now, but those games had some interesting depth to them. The Sims 2 is the better example though, because whilst it had the functionality of 1's interests you had a little more control, in that you could change the subject whilst talking to a Sim. So if you knew their interests you could appeal to them by talking about a particular subject.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,707 Member
    Interests were also one of my favorite features in Sims 2. I do wish we could see a return of something like that. Along with the hobby magazines and subscriptions.