Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are You Playing A Historical Save or Planning to?

I was just curious how many people on the forums are playing a different era or are interested in playing a different era. Comment why you would or wouldn't want to play a different time period in The Sims and what era you'd be most interested in. If you're currently playing a historical game, feel free to talk about your game or post screenshots if you have them.
BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com

Are You Playing A Historical Save or Planning to? 114 votes

I'm playing a historical save now
14%
GalacticGalAbsafraginlootlyMariefoxprice83LissyK9LindsaySeddon1bizuktagThePinkBookGirlBusufuRustyCicuitAmandèleJasonschick80QueenofMyshunoRouensimsjadonbakesMaedConfusedTissue 16 votes
I'm not playing a historical save now, but I plan to soon
15%
MadameLeeStilettoBlackAlrynnBloosmootaydevaprilr41FLaurieCheiriPixieRedShoe7PlumbobGrandmaBhawkins0402ladynightAtreya33GamingTweetysimgravesStarDreamerSimAlexandriapetewentos 18 votes
I don't have any plans to play a historical save, but I have done so before and liked it
14%
SimmervilleBlkBarbiegalSikoahGraceWritin_RegCorkysPetalsTabiethsekojranaPlumbobCrossingFelicity1169EnkiSchmidtSilentKittyloutredorVivi_WillowTreeRae357Amapola76whimreaper 16 votes
I don't have any plans to play a historical save, but I have done so before and didn't like it
5%
SimpatsyannelanorbretonBagoas77TrashDeBluncadduapinanerdfashion 6 votes
I've never played a historical save, and I don't have any plans to play a historical save
50%
IcewolfaprilroseColorist40VibseIsb917MeteoraStormSimQueenie9simgirl1010JestTruVuloriAmj1995PinkSugar81SimplyJenfallenangel66wormstache999mariajane216MaggieMarleySavvySimmieTLM08QueenMercy 58 votes

Comments

• LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,594 Member
    edited July 2019
    THINKING about it. Been finding a lot of nicely Maxis match CC clothing for dedicated periods and been thinking of doing one, especially since we have an off the grid trait. Thought about a more Victorian period one (since the clothing in Get Famous.), but also enjoy some more 1900's period and mostly for things like the fashion and unique homes to buildings.

Though, at the moment been enjoying a save with my sim just 'surviving' on a island and not having any of the nice commodities and having to deal with living out in the elements.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    I've never played a historical save, and I don't have any plans to play a historical save
    I’d love to, but beyond cosmetics, the integration of so many of the game’s features makes suspension of disbelief impossible for me.
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I love historical sims, but I can't go past the fact that sims 4 is too forced in the present times. I think I did it once in the sims 2.
  • MorkovkaMorkovka Posts: 662 Member
    I admire other people doing it and the amout of effort they put into it.
    But yeah, the overall setting must be making it hard.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    edited July 2019
    It's definitely more difficult in 4 than it is in 2 or 3. I will be officially starting my Victorian "story" this evening, now I'm done playing with aging off. I have to go to work first, though!
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited July 2019
    I would love to but there would need to be some sort of GP for it. I am too lazy to recreate a whole world and townies, etc. We don't have such clothes and furniture,...
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I wasn't sure how to answer this question. I'm not playing a strictly historical save, but there are historical elements. I'm playing characters from the turn of the century, the 20s, the 70s, and the 80s, but all mixed in with other households who are not historical.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • PlumbobGrandmaPlumbobGrandma Posts: 438 Member
    I have no idea whether to get into a Historical Save or not...do any of you guys have any tips at all?

❀ нєℓℓσ ι'м ρℓυмвσвgяαη∂мα! ❀
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    I'm currently playing one family that lives like in the 19th century, complete with the Off the Grid trait, old-fashioned clothes and other things I know from the 1995 Pride & Prejudice mini-series, but an entire save? No way. TS4 is not meant to be played that way, which normally wouldn't stop me, but there's only so much you can do without modern technology in this technology-obsessed game.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I don't have any plans to play a historical save, but I have done so before and liked it
    I had a really great short historical save taking place on the Island in Windenburg. It had to be there because townies walking around in their normal clothing would make it difficult for me. Placed lots with the correct backdrop and had a few households that wore the correct clothing. It was fun.

Really happy that we have a few places in the game where we have more control over who shows up, that makes it possible to experiment a bit.
  • QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    I have no idea whether to get into a Historical Save or not...do any of you guys have any tips at all?

Well...it's a massive amount of work. Just finding and downloading cc is time consuming, as is decorating lots. I would say one tip is to just expect it to be slow moving. Other tips:

- Look especially for cc that replaces electronics and plumbing to fit whatever era you're in.

- Play in certain areas that can look mostly like your era. Some areas have backgrounds that ruin the look, so go into a lot with a sim and look around to see what the background is. Most parts of Windenburg are great for 1800s or before, but there's one section that has too many modern elements (bottom right), so you just have to scope out where you want to play.

- Be prepared to download mods, too, to get the game to do what you want it to do. For instance, I have a mod that makes most phone interactions look like the person is just thinking rather than looking like they're on the phone--you don't see the phone even though they're on it. It's awesome.

- Use clubs to get sims to do what you want. For instance, I have different classes (upper, middle, and lower class) in my 1800s game. Middle and upper class women can't just go hang out at the pub, so I have everyone in a club according to class and gender and restrict access to certain areas for certain people.

- Read about what the era was like to get ideas for different types of businesses and groups for your sims to participate in. For example, I know from my research that during my era, many upper class men were in male-only clubs where they would go to drink and read, so I'm going to set one up just for them.

- Don't try to have the variety of clothing like you do with modern sims if you don't have that many to choose from. Each of my sims have mostly the same outfit for every category, with hats being added for hot and cold weather, and gloves being added for those categories, too, for my refined ladies.

- There are a lot of great sites that list common names for different time periods, so make use of them. I love finding weird historical names to call my sims, like Sumner and Berdie and Fidelia. :)
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    edited July 2019

Possible story-ideas
    You can always start with a short sweet story. Following a family or a small household for shorter period of time. Children going over to visit grandma, young married couple staying at a small cabin or a single sim taking a sabbatical. You decide yourself how you want to implement it. Start with perhaps one lot and let it expand and place more if you want to.

Mod-recommendation
    Here is a great mod for avoiding phones made by Triplis.

Summary:
    Wanting to play a time period before Phones, or just tired of seeing your Sims on them all the time? This mod replaces Phone animations with the listening animation.

https://triplis.github.io/mods/phone-listen-anim.html

There isn't a wrong way to make play a historical save. It is your save, you are playing for your own amusement. I have plenty of mods but I have never tried CC-clothing. I think I will one day but so far I haven't tried it. And that is ok, because you don't have to get the correct CC-clothing for the era in order to play but it is great that it is there if I want to try it.

Playing a historical save can be a huge thing with lots of mods and CC. But it doesn't have to be that way. Take a look around and see what would make playing your save more fun for you, and add that.
    Post edited by SilentKitty on
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    I don't have any plans to play a historical save, but I have done so before and didn't like it
    I did it in the Sims 2 with a Victorian era, but it was so much work and then you still get modern annoyances.

I kind of did it in Sims 3 with the Dragon Valley world, setting it in medieval times. I had a lot of fun with that one cos I had the store castle kit and the glass blowing station that came with the art studio and my sims rode horses everywhere. But there were still modern things popping up and killing it for me and never enough clothing choices.
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    It's too much work to set the whole world to suit with a certain kind of historical era and there will always be modern day Sims walking around using cell phones and modern clothes etc and ruining the whole thing. Also it's difficult to find right era clothes for Sims, especially toddlers. I don't use CC or mods, so help from those are not options for me.
    I'm currently watching DrGluon's "Peasantry to Royalty" challenge (medieval era) on YouTube and I've enjoyed it a lot. I just don't want to do it myself.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    edited July 2019
    I'm looking forward to a more successful attempt in the immersion, this time, due to the off-the-grid lot trait. I might have to see if there is any more 18th century clothing choices out there than before.
    Post edited by GalacticGal on
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I have no interest in that and even if I did, the game strongly emphasizes the fact that the game is set in modern times it's literally impossible to do. The fact that everyone automatically has a cell phone instantly kills the ability to do this properly.
    I have no interest in that and even if I did, the game strongly emphasizes the fact that the game is set in modern times it's literally impossible to do. The fact that everyone automatically has a cell phone instantly kills the ability to do this properly.

I'm nothing if not contrary. ;)
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,407 Member
    I am definitely interested but the time to set up a historical save puts me off.

My main problem is how important the phone and pc are in a sims life, nearly impossible to avoid. And also the situational outfits are annoying and break the immersion in another time. Does anyone know a mod to stop those?

As a sort of compromise, I am considering a save with a time traveler. A medieval sim stranded in a modern surrounding but still living in his home as he would live in his own time.
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I like seeing them, but I don’t want to play one myself.
  • ambaraambara Posts: 47 Member
    I'd love to play one in theory but I don't really use cc, I'm worried it'll make the game slower and clunkier then it already is, and I definitely don't want to overhaul entire neighborhoods so can't do it.
    I've started making mine into a proper story now.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/963368/the-sims-victoriana/p1?new=1
  • nastyjmannastyjman Posts: 1,218 Member
    I play a time traveler sim, and I have multiple lots that represent different eras. I have "Always Welcome" as their trait so they can "rough it" with that historical era.
    TLC_banner_2021_downscale.png
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    I'd love to but its way too hard at the moment and I don't like adding tons of cc to my game
    so unless there is past themed pack I probably won't
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    ...My main problem is how important the phone and pc are in a sims life, nearly impossible to avoid. And also the situational outfits are annoying and break the immersion in another time. Does anyone know a mod to stop those?...

Computers: This vintage (70s) typewriter replaces the computer: http://modthesims.info/d/557259/vintage-typewriter.html and this vintage (Victorian) deco typewriter can be placed over it with the move objects cheat and the functional typewriter is still usable: https://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/details/category/sims4-objects-furnishing-decor-clutter/title/art-nouveau--typewriter/id/1367946/

Phone: There are different phone mods on MTS that stop autonomous phone actions, but when you really do need to use the phone, I like this mod by triplis that makes it look like they're just standing there thinking: https://triplis.github.io/mods/phone-listen-anim.html

Outfits: I don't use MCCC yet, but I know it lets you pick which clothing items are allowed for NPCs and which aren't.

gbank_typing.png?w=584
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I want to, but feel it will take too long to set up. Also, the fact that the cellphone is kind of needed for many functions in-game just ruins the aesthetic for me.