Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Looking Forward To the End Of TS4

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    NAPK1NS wrote: »
    Anyone else just going to move onto that newly announced paralives? I’m getting the urge to boycott ts5 cos this 1 person dev fan game is shaping up to have more content in its base game than the sims 4 has ever had and it’s nowhere near alpha yet.

No - looks and sounds like a mobile game - I detest mobile games.
    Didn't the creator state it will be a PC game? I'm almost certain he did. If not I won't be interested either. I like playing mobile games (some of them), but it's in a different league. He also said it will be for low end computers by the way and that does concern me. I want a life simulation game that requires good rig, because only then will it have depth and options.

ETA: people are referring to graphics? Isn't that way too soon?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    edited July 2019
    Anyone else just going to move onto that newly announced paralives? I’m getting the urge to boycott ts5 cos this 1 person dev fan game is shaping up to have more content in its base game than the sims 4 has ever had and it’s nowhere near alpha yet.

You mean that mobile game that they call a PC game? No thanks. Unless the graphics surpass TS4, I'm not wasting my money on it.

Graphics aren't gameplay. Sims 4 could do with learning that, considering Island Living.

Graphics make or break the look of a game, and for me, make me consider, or in this case, not consider, buying it. The graphics are the first thing someone sees, and their appeal will either shy them away or make people interested in learning more.

You mean that mobile game that they call a PC game? No thanks. Unless the graphics surpass TS4, I'm not wasting my money on it.

Graphics aren't gameplay. Sims 4 could do with learning that, considering Island Living.

Graphics make or break the look of a game, and for me, make me consider, or in this case, not consider, buying it. The graphics are the first thing someone sees, and their appeal will either shy them away or make people interested in learning more.
    But this isn't a game yet, it's very alpha. There's really no telling what it is going to look like. At the same time though, if it will be a game with characters that have full personalities and reactions, a game completely focused on that, human relationships, psychology, consequences, in a real in depth way, I truely couldn't care less myself. I'm not over the moon about Sims 4's looks tbh, but I could totally live with that if the game would pull me in the way Sims 3 does. It's a game, not a painting.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2019

Then why do people pay 600-900 dollars or even more for a decent graphics card for gaming if graphics is not part of gaming? Maybe not in your world - but in my world - graphics matter.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited July 2019
    In my world graphics, gameplay matters, as long as the graphics are presentable and does not look like CGA I care. You can have the best graphics in the world but if the gameplay is not there some people do not care what card they have. All in all it all goes in hand and major components CPU, GPU, latency of Memory and the media should complement each other. There are various levels of gamers that have various ideas on how the game looks, plays.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    edited July 2019
    Graphics sure matter, as does art style. But defending a game or pack just because it looks so good, or rejecting it just because it's so 'ugly', that I've never understood and I never will. It matters, but there should be more. Well, to me that is. Anyway, I really think there's no way we can say anything sensible about what this new game is going to look like. And if that's all that people take into consideration, calling it a mobile game beforehand, without knowing anything about it, I just don't get that. We'll have to wait and see.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited July 2019

But there isn't much to do in TS4 so there's no point in even playing it. People can still enjoy its graphics by just looking at pictures and video of it - for <3 FREE! <3

• Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Graphics sure matter, as does art style. But defending a game or pack just because it looks so good, or rejecting it just because it's so 'ugly', that I've never understood and I never will. It matters, but there should be more. Well, to me that is. Anyway, I really think there's no way we can say anything sensible about what this new game is going to look like. And if that's all that people take into consideration, calling it a mobile game beforehand, without knowing anything about it, I just don't get that. We'll have to wait and see.

I agree.

It really doesn't look or seem like a mobile game, but time will tell when we get to see what the gameplay will ultimately be like. All I know is the bar is set really low from The Sims 4; its aspiration system and other goal-like gameplay is virtually textbook mobile gameplay, without the extended real-time wait and microtransactions to advance -- watch this animation 10 times, click here 5 times, etc.
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member

There are several factors I have to consider but it's defintely looking more interesting to me than the way The Sims series seems to be going currently. I'm impressed.

Basically everything Sk8rblaze said about not just more right from the start than The Sims but the gameplay focus along with actually communicating with players is what's the most appealing. It's in the early stages and I'm not crazy about the current art style, but even if that is the style that remains with the finished product if the gameplay is good I likely won't mind too much. With Sims 4 I wasn't crazy about the art style either but if the gameplay had been good I could've overlooked it. Instead I was irritated with the gameplay so it was like annoyances piling up and my biggest issue still hasn't been fixed.

I'll defintiely be keeping an eye on it, that's for sure. I hope at the very least it's a decent game and it makes EA and Maxis step up their game.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    If you want to see what a game can do pretty much without graphics, just look at Thomas Was Alone. All of the characters in that game are 2D shapes. It was on PS3, PS4 and PC.

Graphics.jpg

Thomas is the red rectangle who wants to discover his purpose in life. Chris is a cynical orange square. John is an agile yellow rectangle who likes showing off. Claire is a large blue square that feels useless at first, only to find out she has "superpowers" (she can swim when the others can't). Laura is the flat pink rectangle who boosts the others. James is the green rectangle, with a unique disregard for Newtonian laws (he walks on the ceiling) and Sarah is a little purple rectangle who's even more agile than John.

There's a reason they're all perceived as two dimensional shapes but I won't say anything else.

It all sounds pretty silly, but the game tells a story that won its narrator a BAFTA award, an 80/10 from Metacritic for PS3 and a 4.5/5.0 for it's iOS version from TouchArcade. One of our newspapers, The Telegraph, called it "a fascinating example of great writing" saying it was "crafted with love and attention". Destructoid said it "tells a story that's more complex than games orders of magnitude more expensive and difficult to develop".

It's Metacritic rating for PC is 77/100.
    The Sims 4's is 70/100.
    Granted that the Sims has a lot more attention to contend with, but the fact that an indie game about rectangles and squares can top a triple A life simulator from a billion dollar gaming company should probably be impossible.

It started at a 24 hour game jam and, when in proper development, had a total budget of £5,000 to pay for everything, including all the legal and admin fees and such, as well as all development costs. By April 2014 it'd sold a million copies, which was a month before it even launched on mobile. It's PS4 release had actual physical copies.

Don't judge a book by its cover.

I need to play that, is it on steam?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    i feel ready to move on to the sims5 even do i still love the sims4 right now feel ready to move on to sims5
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    If you want to see what a game can do pretty much without graphics, just look at Thomas Was Alone. All of the characters in that game are 2D shapes. It was on PS3, PS4 and PC.

Graphics.jpg

Thomas is the red rectangle who wants to discover his purpose in life. Chris is a cynical orange square. John is an agile yellow rectangle who likes showing off. Claire is a large blue square that feels useless at first, only to find out she has "superpowers" (she can swim when the others can't). Laura is the flat pink rectangle who boosts the others. James is the green rectangle, with a unique disregard for Newtonian laws (he walks on the ceiling) and Sarah is a little purple rectangle who's even more agile than John.

There's a reason they're all perceived as two dimensional shapes but I won't say anything else.

It all sounds pretty silly, but the game tells a story that won its narrator a BAFTA award, an 80/10 from Metacritic for PS3 and a 4.5/5.0 for it's iOS version from TouchArcade. One of our newspapers, The Telegraph, called it "a fascinating example of great writing" saying it was "crafted with love and attention". Destructoid said it "tells a story that's more complex than games orders of magnitude more expensive and difficult to develop".

It's Metacritic rating for PC is 77/100.
    The Sims 4's is 70/100.
    Granted that the Sims has a lot more attention to contend with, but the fact that an indie game about rectangles and squares can top a triple A life simulator from a billion dollar gaming company should probably be impossible.

It started at a 24 hour game jam and, when in proper development, had a total budget of £5,000 to pay for everything, including all the legal and admin fees and such, as well as all development costs. By April 2014 it'd sold a million copies, which was a month before it even launched on mobile. It's PS4 release had actual physical copies.

Don't judge a book by its cover.

I need to play that, is it on steam?

Have been available since 2012
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    edited July 2019
    i feel ready to move on to the sims5 even do i still love the sims4 right now feel ready to move on to sims5

That's strange coming from you who loves TS4 so much and was putting down Paralives so recently. Are you trying to get rid of the people who hate TS4 and encouraging them go to the Paralives Discord forum? o:)

• keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited July 2019
    Alexciel wrote: »
    I'm going to drop here a comment extracted for a Parent-Review website, were a parent ask that TS4 should remove more content.

***************************************************************************************
    Bug says:
    November 7, 2018 at 11:15 pm

The company needs to delete the sexual content. This is another example of media telling girls that having enlarged breasts and butt is more attractive. Also, showing that if they put a few good things into the video game, like managing money, consumers should ignore the inappropriate material. There is no need for the sexual aspects to be included in this game.
    ***************************************************************************************

And another one:

Is there a password protection option on the SIMS4 game? We only want our daughter (8 years) to play this game when we are about. She was beside herself when some of the characters inexplicably(!?) died (much to our horror – yes, it was our fault for not understanding the game!). I have had a scout round in the options menu but nothing obvious there. Thanks

I think catering to girls is not the problem, catering to parents is.
    Source: geekdad.com, parents-should-know-about-the-sims-4

(You will have to search for it, I'm not able to post the link)

Lol this would explaine why this game has become kids game. "There is no need for sexual aspects to in this game" in lifesimulation? So did her kids fall from sky if life simulation game dont need 'innaprobable material'
    People are way too sensivity these days.
    People want to farm gamepa0ck but we cant eat the meat. Some wish we could just hug the animals and dont allow other players to have a choice because of them.
    So parends, just lock up you're kids in a room so they can't see anything 'bad'[/quote]

LOL that reminded me of that Black mirror episode where the mother was blocking her kid from everything bad. I will not spoil the ending but sheltering kids from bad stuff is not the answer. Why aren't these parents talking to\raising their kids? As for the parents of the 8 year old, ummm the game is teen rated. It isn't for your eight year old.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Aericia wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Aericia wrote: »
    They would make so much more $$$$ long term if they developed the complicated stuff into one game and created the happy pony game as an offshoot.

You think like a player, my friend. ;)
    Think like a developer. "If you don't have to do something, don't do it". :(
    Of course, the critics reviews might be worse, but till they do not have any competitors and people paying for their games, nothing will change, I'm afraid.
    I like to think not every game developer/company thinks like that...

Misfortune...
    Of course not every game developers thinks like that... There are many wonderful games, like The Witcher made by small Polish group of passionate people (my father in law made cd covers for them). They know, that if the quality of their product will be low, they will be ended. In Poland we are still in shock because of The Witcher success, BTW. ;)
    I don't know who directing The Sims, but he (or she) is not a visionary. The company is big and they do not need to "fight for players", so low quality is not a big problem for them.

I don't know TS4 history, but the game looks like made for online project. Seriously, I'm not good in English... :/ No fears, no desires, It looks like incomplete game, like in the middle of works someone changed decision and they had to speed up their works. And look at the expansions - when I bought TS4 in June 2017 there were only 3 expansions and lots of stuff packs. I remember only 2 new stuffs in 2 years - laundry and "the hamster from space" - and more expansions, including "must be", like seasons and pets. The policy was changed and good.

And the players... They (including myself) will buy everything and instead of scream about the source of problem, they demanding new objects like cars, spiral stairs etc (sorry, guys, I want them too, but maybe later...). The game changers are, for me, group of "walking commercials" (they love everything!).

I still believe, that they will improve TS4. They must show us, that they know, where they were wrong. Without it I do not believe in better TS5.

Bless you folks from Poland for showing gaming companies how to do it. Can't wait to play cyberpunk 2077.
    keekee53 wrote: »
    Bless you folks from Poland for showing gaming companies how to do it. Can't wait to play cyberpunk 2077.

Me too! I don't do pre-orders that much lately, but that's a game I want to get right away!
  • badxwolfxrisingbadxwolfxrising Posts: 69 Member
    I bought TS4 when it first came out (and babies aged straight into kids, yikes) and hated it so bad I rage quit and didn't touch it for a couple years. I just got back into playing it recently and with the addition of the updates and expansions since it was first released I definitely enjoy it a lot more but do wish that you had more freedom to customize like in TS3. IDK man, I feel like it's super easy to judge the developers when one is not themselves a developer and has only a passing knowledge of how game engines actually work. If any of us could create a better game, I'm guessing we would've done so already. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but there's an awful lot of Haterade in this thread. Any time you like you can step away from the keyboard and go be lured to your death by real mermaids.🤷
    edited July 2019
    I bought TS4 when it first came out (and babies aged straight into kids, yikes) and hated it so bad I rage quit and didn't touch it for a couple years. I just got back into playing it recently and with the addition of the updates and expansions since it was first released I definitely enjoy it a lot more but do wish that you had more freedom to customize like in TS3. IDK man, I feel like it's super easy to judge the developers when one is not themselves a developer and has only a passing knowledge of how game engines actually work. If any of us could create a better game, I'm guessing we would've done so already. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but there's an awful lot of Haterade in this thread. Any time you like you can step away from the keyboard and go be lured to your death by real mermaids.🤷
    I’m a player, all I do is judge the game as a player and any complaints I base on my experience with the predecessor and games I see around me. I don’t have to be a writer to review a book, I don’t have to be a director to review a movie, I don’t have to be an artist to review a painting, I don’t have to be a surgeon to be mad when they remove the wrong kidney. I just have to like books, films and paintings. Or need the right medical help.

I also think it shouldn’t be necessary to rage quit a game because it’s empty, needing hundreds of dollars/euros/... of DLC to make it better. I refuse to do that. The packs I do have didn’t save it, this game doesn’t deserve any more of my money, even if it will improve the experience. There’s a lot I can do with that money and this is not it.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,653 Member
    edited July 2019
    I'm loving TS4 more and more. I think IL has nailed it for me.
    MLgj4Vx.png
    edited July 2019
    February11 wrote: »
    I'm loving TS4 more and more. I think IL has nailed it for me.
    Not being able to ‘review’ IL myself (don’t have it), what about that pack nails it for you in comparison to other TS4 packs?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member

well... I grew up in an era that graphics were terrible for nowadays standards in almost every game. Maybe its your priority but I don't know... I personally prefer to pay for playing and having fun than paying for taking good pictures but maybe Im just "old" despite having only 24...
  • AericiaAericia Posts: 110 Member
    edited July 2019
    @keekee53 @ClarionOfJoy - thank You, it is very nice even I do not made The Witcher game, hehe. Still recommend You mr. Sapkowski books. :)

I'm septic too, when I see the graphics... Maybe it's just a "skeleton" of objects and the textures will come later? The developer is one, alone, and maybe he focused now on other (more important) things.
    But we have games like Minecraft, who looks seriously like "An Adventures of Lines and Squares" and people love it.

Sexuality content? Well... Did You see "the wardrobe sequence" before Woo-hoo? It's hot even for TS2 standards so... And what is sexual in cuddling Sims in sleep? In slow dances?
    But I have special mod for that, so whatever. :D

If Paralives got chemistry, consequences, deeper relations I will buy it for sure. And I will buy it for my friends if it's necessary, seriously. All for TS5 good, because when EA feels "breath of competition on their back" they will improve their game for sure! I wish them that and I wish them success - for good sake of all of us. :)
    Origin ID: ukyojin
    Unofficial Polish Forum - simtopia.pl
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member

I prefer eating a hamburger that doesn't look good but tastes good than a good-looking hamburger that tastes bad.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,860 Member

I prefer eating a hamburger that doesn't look good but tastes good than a good-looking hamburger that tastes bad.

Yeah, but you have to want to taste it first and if it's not visually appealing that can be an immediate turn-off. I'd much rather dig into a plate of fluffy scrambled eggs than a plate of runny, watery, scrambled eggs even though the runny eggs might have the better taste.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top