Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should I get Parenthood?

Always thought it’d be pretty sweet to expand on child and teen relations to their parents but is it really worth it? What are the best (and worst things) about the pack to you guys?

❀ нєℓℓσ ι'м ρℓυмвσвgяαη∂мα! ❀

Comments

• whimreaperwhimreaper Posts: 361 Member
    I absolutely think this pack is worth getting. I had purchased it in a bundle with other packs and, at first, I was thinking that the sudden giant number of new interactions were due to the combination of 3 packs...Let's just say that about 70% of the new interactions were from parenthood ALONE. Besides this, it includes some really useable and well-designed build/buy and cas items. The best part of the pack by far is the parenting system which allows your sims to interact more like a family and even a chance for teens to age up with extra traits.

I don't know if there's a downside to this pack, even. I find it extremely well made. Probably the most annoying thing about it is that the school calls your parents almost daily for an interactive question or that teens and children "asking for advice" is an uncancelable interaction. I definitely think these problems are trivial, however, and that the pack is one of the best available currently.
  • MorkovkaMorkovka Posts: 662 Member
    I mostly got it for the CAS and build objects and I was afraid that the new interactions would complicate parenting beyond my comfot zone.
    Like "If I don't use those parenting interactions regulatrly everything goes to hell".
    Fortunately, no, it's there but it's not too intrusive.
    And I really like how it make family relations more visible, even with aunt/uncles/grandparents, who are otherwise no different from just aquaintances.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited July 2019
    The school chance cards are so annoying. Really wish we could turn those off. It’s cool at first but there aren’t that many so they just repeat over and over and over... becomes more of a nuisance than a feature and I find myself clicking any option just to get rid of the menu and get back to playing.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    This pack is one of my favourites. I love having my kids work on the traits they can earn. The only thing I don't like is the childhood phases.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • PlumbobGrandmaPlumbobGrandma Posts: 438 Member
    Thank you for your help! What were your favorite build and buy items? And do you think it’s a bit overpriced or is good? @whimreaper

@Chazzzy Did you like any other Parenthood editions?

@Mariefoxprice83 Why didn’t you like the childhood phases?

• annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I think Parenthood is definitely worth it and a must have if you are a family player. I personally wouldn't want to play without it and it is my second favourite GP after Vampires. I just love how it makes family relationships and early experiences more meaningful with future consequences that impact on the personality and behaviour of sims once they grow up. I also really love the CAS and build objects. I can't think of anything I really dislike about it, except that I feel family relationships/generations could still do with further development and expansion.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited July 2019
    @Chazzzy Did you like any other Parenthood editions?

Oh yea mood swings and childhood phases are annoying too. Again, it’s cool/fun/unique at first but after seeing them a few times, it’s more bothersome than fun, at least for me anyway. They force it upon you by just having a child/teen in the home. There’s no way to turn it off. I don’t like that.

I did like the new acne skin details in CAS as well as the kitchen stuff and furniture in Buy/Build mode. That’s really all I remember about it.
    I find that the phases can last too long. The Loud phase in particular seems to stick around for a long time, and I seem to have a bug where my radios get stuck on loud for a long time. I usually have to buy a new one to fix it. I also really don't like the silly bear costumes from that phase. Unfortunately for me, those are the 2 phases I get most - the ones I like the least! I thought you were supposed to be able to overcome the phases early but I don't think you can after all. :( Or at least, I haven't figured it out.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I wouldn't want to raise Toddlers/Children/Teens without it. It does add a ton of depth, both for the children and for parents. Build/Buy assets are there but none really transformed my game. The Parenting skill, and the Character Value system did. My founders were done with initial aspirations, both wanting children together and taking family Aspirations. So I timed it right. Parenthood totally filled that out.
    I really love the doctor playset and the journals. The acne is a great way to make teens look more like teens, and there's some great new clothing. hairstyles and buy mode items.
  • AmandèleAmandèle Posts: 378 Member
    I love it, I think it's my favorite pack! :)

The b&b mode items are great, the clothing is also very nice (there are pieces that look great on 40 something parents, others that are perfect for rebellious teens).

I like the fact that we can gain traits if we raise our children a certain way but I wish it wasn't so easy to be responsible and have good manners. If you want a Sim with negative traits, you really have to work for it.

The doctor playset is really nice. If you also have GTW and start the doctor career with a Sim who used to play with the playset, they get a happy moodlet for fulfilling their dream. That's really sweet :)

The new interactions are not only between parents and children but also between siblings and you get new interactions when you age up to young adult.

It's the only Sims 4 Pack that hasn't disappointed me. Honestly, I think you should get it!
    Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my first language ^^'
  • liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    Always thought it’d be pretty sweet to expand on child and teen relations to their parents but is it really worth it? What are the best (and worst things) about the pack to you guys?

Yes!!!! full on yes!
    It's probably my fave of all the packs, ep, gp or sp.
    If you like family gameplay, it's nigh unmissable.
    It also helps develop teenagers, so they're actually a lifestage seperate from young adults, beyond them going to school instead of to work.

It makes childhood and teenagers more than just a period to build skills, lets you develop their personalities and feel more like individuals.

My only regret is that there's no way (outside of cheating) to have other non played sims, develop the parenthood personality traits. I'd love a mod that assigns said traits to sims without having to cheat them in yourselves.
  • liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    This pack is one of my favourites. I love having my kids work on the traits they can earn. The only thing I don't like is the childhood phases.

I actually love the childhood phases, cause it deepens them, esp. the teens, makes them feel like actual kids.
    @liliaeth Quick question...can you explain to me how the good traits work? Like if you make your kid responsible and good mannered, what exactly does that give them as a YA? Sorry I’ve entrusted you with the task of explaining lol :p

liliaeth wrote: »

I actually love the childhood phases, cause it deepens them, esp. the teens, makes them feel like actual kids.

I think I'd like them more if there was something you could do to help with them more effectively.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    edited July 2019
    I think I'd like them more if there was something you could do to help with them more effectively.
    There are interactions to help the phases go away though ? Don't remember for everything, and it's not an instant thing, but it will give you the ways to make it shorter if your sim parent talk about it.
    I like them, so I use the information to make them last as long as possible. I have one distant teen who never gets any alone time and has had the trait for a long time.

Edit: forgot to reply to the thread. Parenthood ! Very good pack ! Must have imo.
    Character values are my favorite thing about it, but everything adds gameplay.
    I also really don't like the silly bear costumes from that phase.
    Oh, Bienchen83 has a mod to replace the bear costume with pirate/princess.
    I guess I have never had any luck cutting the phases short. I'll have to try harder next time. I might well check out that mod though!
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Yes . . .
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • DeadInsid3_plur2EDMDeadInsid3_plur2EDM Posts: 44 Member
    Yes absolutely, despite all the wonderful bugs with the high chairs and toddler beds there are ways around it. If you like making families and watching them grow and want more depth to how they are raised, what traits they'll acquire, and other options that become available the most definitely. I have all the games besides Living Island and Strangerville. If I had to do it all over I would still hands down buy Parenthood.
  • TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    The character traits add a bit more personality to my sims. My 'evil' sim's extreme politeness gives her a depth she didn't have before, while my gloomy country-singer celebrity's good manners make his dislike of getting touched by strangers that much more poignant. You can mix and match seemingly contradictory behaviors, have someone be empathic but rude, or insensitive but polite. When picking traits in CAS, etc., those kinds of seeming opposites aren't permitted.

Having trouble expressing what I mean to say; hope you catch the drift!
  • JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    Yes absolutely!! Especially if you're a generational/family style player then.. yes! The interactions between the parent and child give this feeling that how the parent responds to situations makes a difference in their child's life. I love it :heart:
  • theaethanrealmtheaethanrealm Posts: 62 Member
    I would say it really depends. It adds an element of challenge by having to keep up responsibility, emotional control, etc., as well as kids making messes all the time >:(
    But it also adds fun new situations! So it really depends if you want the challenge or not, in my opinion.
    origin id - theaethanrealm
  • whimreaperwhimreaper Posts: 361 Member
    I think that it's a little overpriced (but ONLY because I think all the packs are too expensive at full price (I am poor)). However, this particular pack would still be worth it, I feel. Unless you're confident that there will be a sale soon or want to go for a bundle, I recommend getting it anyway.

My personal favourite BB items are the dresser, child's desk, diary, and the kitchen counters. Basically all of the items are nice, though, and I use them in most of my builds.
    Tiarella wrote: »
    The character traits add a bit more personality to my sims. My 'evil' sim's extreme politeness gives her a depth she didn't have before, while my gloomy country-singer celebrity's good manners make his dislike of getting touched by strangers that much more poignant. You can mix and match seemingly contradictory behaviors, have someone be empathic but rude, or insensitive but polite. When picking traits in CAS, etc., those kinds of seeming opposites aren't permitted.

Having trouble expressing what I mean to say; hope you catch the drift!

Thank you for your help! That sounds like fun but could you explain how mannerism developed during childhood transfer over to YA life? Like does it become a new trait or just an intangible thing?