Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Forum Feature Requests!

ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
  1. Please make it so if someone quotes your post in a discussion, you will get a notification about it. If someone quotes your whole post, why can't you get a notification about it so that you can respond without having to refresh every thread you've commented in?
  2. Please make it so if you have someone on ignore, you don't see their threads pop up in Recent Discussions. I mean, you have them on ignore for a reason right?
  3. Please add more response options! An "LOL" or a "Disagree" would go sooo far in some threads.

Comments

• lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    edited July 2019
    I do believe that it's already been stated that there isn't any quick and easy way of enabling that feature as stated by EA_ Mage when she was still here.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/940837/its-time-to-bring-in-more-reaction-options-like-lol-agree-and-disagree/p5
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    I do believe that it's already been stated that there isn't any quick and easy way of enabling that feature as stated by EA_ Mage when she was still here.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/940837/its-time-to-bring-in-more-reaction-options-like-lol-agree-and-disagree/p5

Nothing worth doing is quick or easy. But I do hope someone has at least TRIED or made an effort. My original comment in that thread was from June of last year. Haven't heard a peep since.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I miss lol and disagree. There where too many dramas over it which is a shame really as most of us here a mature enough to shrug off any disagreement.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    I don't care about LOL and Disagree, but the first two would be awesome.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    I'd like to have a notification when someone quotes me too. It's how most people, me included, answer.
    I miss lol and disagree. There where too many dramas over it which is a shame really as most of us here a mature enough to shrug off any disagreement.

Yea a “respectfully disagree” option would be harmless.
    Dianesims wrote: »
    I'd like to have a notification when someone quotes me too. It's how most people, me included, answer.

Idk why such a thing doesn’t exist already.
  • Cest_si_BonCest_si_Bon Posts: 50 Member
    I am (brand) new to the forum, so my opinion may not be worth much, but i really agree with the first point. I'd want to know if someone quoted me, especially if I was taking part in a few discussions on the forum.

As for the second point, obviously you'd not want to see anything from a poster you were ignoring - but what if they made a thread/ post that happened to be helpful to you, such as asking a question about a problem you already had?

Third point; I can see how this could be abused or cause upset, but people can also voice their disagreement via comments. A LOL would be good - shows you found a comment funny without spamming the threat with "haha"ect.
    I am (brand) new to the forum, so my opinion may not be worth much, but i really agree with the first point. I'd want to know if someone quoted me, especially if I was taking part in a few discussions on the forum.

As for the second point, obviously you'd not want to see anything from a poster you were ignoring - but what if they made a thread/ post that happened to be helpful to you, such as asking a question about a problem you already had?

Third point; I can see how this could be abused or cause upset, but people can also voice their disagreement via comments. A LOL would be good - shows you found a comment funny without spamming the threat with "haha"ect.

Well, if I had my way I wouldn’t even be able to see this post because I have them on ignore lol I’d be able to live with that.
  • TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    edited July 2019
    I too would appreciate the first two items on your list! (eta: I don't ignore anyone, but it might be more peaceful if those who do could have this functionality added.)

Unfortunately, even a 'lol' button can cause grief when misused, from what I remember of past forum dramas--not sure it was here, where giving out personal information is discouraged. Envision a post where someone reveals a personal tragedy; now picture it with a lot of 'LOLs' at the bottom. I can see why forum moderators/managers might wish to opt out of that scenario.
  • CieloSimsCieloSims Posts: 143 Member
    I just wish we could change our username. I have messaged some of the gurus, but to no avail.
    Origin ID: CieloSims
    Tiarella wrote: »
    I too would appreciate the first two items on your list! (eta: I don't ignore anyone, but it might be more peaceful if those who do could have this functionality added.)

Unfortunately, even a 'lol' button can cause grief when misused, from what I remember of past forum dramas--not sure it was here, where giving out personal information is discouraged. Envision a post where someone reveals a personal tragedy; now picture it with a lot of 'LOLs' at the bottom. I can see why forum moderators/managers might wish to opt out of that scenario.

They could always just ban the immature people so that the rest of us won’t suffer, ya know?
    circa1986 wrote: »
    I just wish we could change our username. I have messaged some of the gurus, but to no avail.

Yea that would be cool
    edited July 2019
    I'm curious, Chaz-- in the scenario described, how would the moderators know which simmers were responsible? Do they track who hits the like, awesome (etc.) buttons? (Or in this case, the 'lol' button)

I remember a moderator explaining the issue in a forum somewhere, years ago--thought it was here, but it might not have been.

Edited for a typo, & thought some more: even now, a troll could post a 'lol' emoticon, but then it'd be easy to identify & remove the troll. Problem w/the buttons, I believe, is that the forum would have to be set up to identify/make public who hit those buttons--which this one doesn't appear to do, as far as I can tell. :smile:
    I'm curious, Chaz-- in the scenario described, how would the moderators know which simmers were responsible? Do they track who hits the like, awesome (etc.) buttons? (Or in this case, the 'lol' button)

I remember a moderator explaining the issue in a forum somewhere, years ago--thought it was here, but it might not have been.

Edited for a typo, & thought some more: even now, a troll could post a 'lol' emoticon, but then it'd be easy to identify & remove the troll. Problem w/the buttons, I believe, is that the forum would have to be set up to identify/make public who hit those buttons--which this one doesn't appear to do, as far as I can tell. :smile:

Sometime last year we were able to see which person reacted to a post. It showed the number like it does now, but if you clicked on it, it would list who pressed it. They said it was a glitch though but it had me thinking, why not just make it public anyway? I guess I just don’t understand why it’s a secret.
    circa1986 wrote: »

@circa1986, you could either post over on EA_Rtas or EA_Mai page for the name changes if you're still looking for a name change... :)
    I suspect the usernames aren't shown in an effort to reduce the formation of cliques, which can become a problem in forums. Yes, they can still form, but they'd be worse if people were visibly trading off 'likes.'
    I suspect the usernames aren't shown in an effort to reduce the formation of cliques, which can become a problem in forums. Yes, they can still form, but they'd be worse if people were visibly trading off 'likes.'

@Tiarella, this is so true with what you've said.

I remember when the site first started and some of the users could see who hit what due to the glitch that allowed certain web broswers to see the names and then some of the members would either call out people who hit the "Disagree" in a post or through PM's or on the users walls wondering why they disagreed with them. I once had a member sending me PM's trying to convince me to remove my "Disagrees" from his posts that he made about the simpoints ads that used to be on The Sims 3 store when he kept claiming that when TS4 came out that the ad sponsors would move them to the new site as that was the new game. But it was already stated by the Gurus that TS4 wasn't going to use simpoints as they wouldn't be having a store like TS3 had and when trying to tell him that, he was still convinced that the sponsors was going to move them over there and he kept telling me that I didn't know what I was talking about as I was dumb. He kept telling me that if I remove my Disagrees from his posts, that he would remove his from my post but since then, the member had went back to that old thread a few years ago and edited his posts to remove what he wrote in them as he finally realized how wrong he was about the sponsors moving the ads over to the new game.

So because people were calling out others in this manner, the site management team have all said that they wouldn't allow this to happen as they want to protect the members on the forum from such attacks like this as it is considered harassment which I can't blame them for keeping the names hidden.

@Tiarella, this is so true with what you've said.

I remember when the site first started and some of the users could see who hit what due to the glitch that allowed certain web broswers to see the names and then some of the members would either call out people who hit the "Disagree" in a post or through PM's or on the users walls wondering why they disagreed with them. I once had a member sending me PM's trying to convince me to remove my "Disagrees" from his posts that he made about the simpoints ads that used to be on The Sims 3 store when he kept claiming that when TS4 came out that the ad sponsors would move them to the new site as that was the new game. But it was already stated by the Gurus that TS4 wasn't going to use simpoints as they wouldn't be having a store like TS3 had and when trying to tell him that, he was still convinced that the sponsors was going to move them over there and he kept telling me that I didn't know what I was talking about as I was dumb. He kept telling me that if I remove my Disagrees from his posts, that he would remove his from my post but since then, the member had went back to that old thread a few years ago and edited his posts to remove what he wrote in them as he finally realized how wrong he was about the sponsors moving the ads over to the new game.

So because people were calling out others in this manner, the site management team have all said that they wouldn't allow this to happen as they want to protect the members on the forum from such attacks like this as it is considered harassment which I can't blame them for keeping the names hidden.

Like I said they could just ban the people doing the harassing. Like that guy bugging you over some disagrees, just ban him and call it a day. Surely they could’ve come up with another solution than to just remove the feature completely for everyone. That’s kinda crazy.
    edited July 2019
    Have you ever been a forum moderator, Chaz? My spouse was. (Eta: not here!) :tired_face: After awhile, they have to do stuff like this to reduce the workload! :lol:

Sad but true.
    Have you ever been a forum moderator, Chaz? My spouse was. (Eta: not here!) :tired_face: After awhile, they have to do stuff like this to reduce the workload! :lol:

Sad but true.

Hire more people!!! ;)
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    When I was new to this forum myself in 2014, kind of a darker era around here, I was hit with barrages of Disagrees, Zagadoos when those were later substituted to mean the same thing, and was even "reported" for spamming when what I was really doing was explaining how mods worked and how Macs utilized system resources to run their more crippled version of TS3. Between the more pointless of the reaction buttons and ultimately being told several times I had no idea what I was talking about, I almost didn't stick around since I didn't feel like I was being all that helpful at times.

That's just one member's experiences and not really a matter of hurt feelings in this case, but the conversations would have been more meaningful had the disagreements taken place in the open so that players could become better informed on such matters instead of beginning by way of anonymous reactions.

As a moderator elsewhere myself, it's not really so much a matter of workload. But forums are generally more pleasant places to be when moderators have fewer reasons to step in and correct users' behavior in the first place. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    igazor wrote: »
    When I was new to this forum myself in 2014, kind of a darker era around here, I was hit with barrages of Disagrees, Zagadoos when those were later substituted to mean the same thing, and was even "reported" for spamming when what I was really doing was explaining how mods worked and how Macs utilized system resources to run their more crippled version of TS3. Between the more pointless of the reaction buttons and ultimately being told several times I had no idea what I was talking about, I almost didn't stick around since I didn't feel like I was being all that helpful at times.

That's just one member's experiences and not really a matter of hurt feelings in this case, but the conversations would have been more meaningful had the disagreements taken place in the open so that players could become better informed on such matters instead of beginning by way of anonymous reactions.

As a moderator elsewhere myself, it's not really so much a matter of workload. But forums are generally more pleasant places to be when moderators have fewer reasons to step in and correct users' behavior in the first place. :)

Or people could just not take things so seriously. Someone disagreeing with my post wouldn’t get me emotional. I don’t understand why it would make anyone else emotional.

I’m still in favor of seeing who reacts to what and getting more reaction options.
    Chazzzy wrote: »

Or people could just not take things so seriously. Someone disagreeing with my post wouldn’t get me emotional. I don’t understand why it would make anyone else emotional.

I’m still in favor of seeing who reacts to what and getting more reaction options.

I agree that people shouldn't get too emotional over getting disagreed with because it's okay to disagree with others opinions when they differ from each other. But sadly some people just don't have the common sense to see it for what it is which is just a disagreement and nothing else and it shouldn't be taken in a bad way. I don't care if others disagree with me as I know that it won't be the first time or the last time that it happens to me, I just shrug my shoulders and move on and not think nothing about it. Even we had the "lol" button and I would someone hit lol on posts that I've made to be helpful on someone's post looking for help, I just shrugged my shoulders and think to myself that maybe they just jealous as they didn't think of the solution or given links to help that user before me and then I move on as it's pointless to even worry about.
    Chazzzy wrote: »

I agree that people shouldn't get too emotional over getting disagreed with because it's okay to disagree with others opinions when they differ from each other. But sadly some people just don't have the common sense to see it for what it is which is just a disagreement and nothing else and it shouldn't be taken in a bad way. I don't care if others disagree with me as I know that it won't be the first time or the last time that it happens to me, I just shrug my shoulders and move on and not think nothing about it. Even we had the "lol" button and I would someone hit lol on posts that I've made to be helpful on someone's post looking for help, I just shrugged my shoulders and think to myself that maybe they just jealous as they didn't think of the solution or given links to help that user before me and then I move on as it's pointless to even worry about.

Right, I just feel like it’s sending a bad message. I feel like they think it’s going to limit the negativity on this forum (we see it hasn’t) and in reality all is does is force people to leave a diatribe comment in the thread when they could’ve simply pressed “disagree” and moved on.

This is the first forum I’ve been on where all reaction options are positive. There’s not even a “neutral” option or a “laughing” option, I mean what’s wrong with adding those? Because they think a few people abused them so they removed the option completely? It’s just strange to me.