The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please tell me about things I can do in Island Living!

Hello everyone,

I am a console player (PS4) but after months of lag.. the game is really just not fun anymore on the PS4. I tried The Sims 4 on the laptop and it is extremely smooth, way smoother than on console! No lag so yay! I decided to switch to PC, this was extremely sad for me because of how much money I spent on console for packs.. I went out earlier to get myself a mouse to use with my laptop and cheer myself up a bit, and my mother (who I am super thankful to for gifting me it) decided to buy me Island Living as a gift for the PC just an hour ago as a way to help me calm down with the stress of moving and waiting for university results. It will really help me get into the PC version so I am super happy!

So please tell me all the things that I can do in Island Living that weren't shown in trailers! Small features are also welcome!

Comments

• nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Well, the odd jobs are pretty fun if you ask me. Mermaids can actually pull Sims under the water two different ways and their needs will be super low after that, but I don't believe they'll actually drown because of the mermaid directly. If you go in super deep water there's a chance of the same thing happening but with a shark (and a moodlet before it). The Create-A-Sim and Build/Buy Are super nice, and if you don't want to live in Solano after a bit as long as you can get a sand texture down you can still make sandcastles. This means sandboxes!
    funny-gifs20.gif

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    That is a lovely gift from your mum!

I play a rotation game and have a household in most of the different worlds but it is nice to take some of the ones who don't live in Sulani for a day or two at the beach. They can get away from their usual routines and do lots of 'holiday' stuff like tanning, swimming, drinking and dancing. You could make a fake hotel and let sims stay overnight like a proper holiday. If you want them to pay for their stay, you can use the money cheat to deduct a suitable amount of simoleons from their funds.

If you like playing toddlers, I saw someone posted a pic of the toddler slide placed in the shallow water - toddlers can use it and slide down into the edge of the ocean.
  • PrincessAmyPrincessAmy Posts: 225 Member
    Well, the odd jobs are pretty fun if you ask me. Mermaids can actually pull Sims under the water two different ways and their needs will be super low after that, but I don't believe they'll actually drown because of the mermaid directly. If you go in super deep water there's a chance of the same thing happening but with a shark (and a moodlet before it). The Create-A-Sim and Build/Buy Are super nice, and if you don't want to live in Solano after a bit as long as you can get a sand texture down you can still make sandcastles. This means sandboxes!

Thank you so much for the suggestions! I never knew sharks are in the expansion pack that makes it even more interesting and I never knew about the mermaid thing I will definitely need to try that. I love the sound of the sand texture, there are families that won't be living in Sulani and being able to put sand in the garden will be such a nice feature. I will also definitely use it for my building.
    That is a lovely gift from your mum!

I play a rotation game and have a household in most of the different worlds but it is nice to take some of the ones who don't live in Sulani for a day or two at the beach. They can get away from their usual routines and do lots of 'holiday' stuff like tanning, swimming, drinking and dancing. You could make a fake hotel and let sims stay overnight like a proper holiday. If you want them to pay for their stay, you can use the money cheat to deduct a suitable amount of simoleons from their funds.

If you like playing toddlers, I saw someone posted a pic of the toddler slide placed in the shallow water - toddlers can use it and slide down into the edge of the ocean.
    I am super thankful to my mom for this gift, and I am so happy to try out the PC version.. not as sad about my console anymore.
    Thank you for the suggestions! Making a hotel sounds fun! I do have Sims that do not live in Sulani so having them go there for holidays will be fun. I also never knew about the toddler thing, I have a family with a toddler so I will definitely try it out!
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited July 2019
    I'm not sure what was in trailers and what wasn't. I have fun making my stodgier Sims firedance. :)
    You can collect items and sell them. You can build sandcastles and monster stomp them. You can drink kava. You can swim and wade and canoe. You can suntan and relax on floaties. The world is semi-open in my opinion, so you can walk around exploring a bit. You can hang out at the bar. Some people have turned a beach into a park so their Sims can get married on the beach.

I was able to make a Sim pee in the water once, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do that again.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited July 2019
    I’ll be checking this thread because I just got the pack too.

I don’t plan on doing anything with the mermaids, but I did hear there’s something about having your Sim “clean up” the environment and in turn it’ll unlock something? I’ll have to figure out what that is. I also need to do all of the part-time jobs and odd jobs to see what that’s about. Oh and play through the new career in both branches. I just read that one of the branches can set policies that affect all the Sims in the city, so that sounds cool. I haven’t done the snorkel and dive stuff either!

I really like the new sliding doors too lol
  • Cest_si_BonCest_si_Bon Posts: 50 Member
    Thank you for making this thread, I play on Xbox and am interested in getting Island Living, so will be paying attention to these answers. They have been very insightful so far!

@PrincessAmy I am sorry to hear you are stressed - I just finished Uni also, so understand how it feels waiting for results and I wish you lots of luck and am sending you positive vibes! :smile:
  • MaedMaed Posts: 33 Member
    Sims can comb the beach for trash and improve the environment on the island that way without necessarily needing to join the conservationist career. They can find a variety of random things while they are doing so, and there's a buried treasure collection to complete from finding those while combing for trash.

They can also comb the beach for seashells (or pick them up from where they spawn naturally on the beach) and complete another collection.

Beachcombing has both good and bad moodlets with it, typically involving interactions with seagulls and crabs.
  • Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    Hello everyone,

I am a console player (PS4) but after months of lag.. the game is really just not fun anymore on the PS4. I tried The Sims 4 on the laptop and it is extremely smooth, way smoother than on console! No lag so yay! I decided to switch to PC, this was extremely sad for me because of how much money I spent on console for packs.. I went out earlier to get myself a mouse to use with my laptop and cheer myself up a bit, and my mother (who I am super thankful to for gifting me it) decided to buy me Island Living as a gift for the PC just an hour ago as a way to help me calm down with the stress of moving and waiting for university results. It will really help me get into the PC version so I am super happy!

So please tell me all the things that I can do in Island Living that weren't shown in trailers! Small features are also welcome!

As a former PS4 player, welcome to the dark side!! I haven't played the sims on console since before this past Christmas due to receiving a pc as a gift.

1. Your sims can free dive for shells or treasure-the treasure only after they have spent $1200 on a tool for finding treasure-you can find some Sulani treasures that are worth a good bit in case you do a rags to riches.
    2. One of my favorite interactions between mer people and sims is the "Mermaids Kiss" along with a new woohoo spot in the waterfall
    3. Speaking of waterfalls you can shower in the waterfall, helps when you apply the "off the grid" trait to your lot as only a few showers are set for off the grid use, same for stoves, sinks and toilets.
    4. You can go wee in the ocean lol
    5. They have a traditional bbq pit like how Im assuming they do it in the native cultures where you can roast food in a pit in the ground with large palm leaves.

There are so many things you cna do in this pack, Im thoroughly enjoyingit. I would recommend, if you can, watching a few "lets plays" on YT. My faves are TheSimSupply aka Semaj-he's pretty funny imo, Deligracy, UrbanSims-love that girl, Clare Siobhan, Plumbella, Pixelade. There is even a cute little event involving some of the aquatic wildlife when you progress far enough with cleaning up the island.

I hope you have fun with it when you do get to play it! Happy Simmimg!
    I'm not sure what was in trailers and what wasn't. I have fun making my stodgier Sims firedance. :)
    You can collect items and sell them. You can build sandcastles and monster stomp them. You can drink kava. You can swim and wade and canoe. You can suntan and relax on floaties. The world is semi-open in my opinion, so you can walk around exploring a bit. You can hang out at the bar. Some people have turned a beach into a park so their Sims can get married on the beach.

I was able to make a Sim pee in the water once, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do that again.

If I'm not mistaken, their bladder needs to yellow and then you just click on them while in the water and an option for weeing in the ocean comes up.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member

If I'm not mistaken, their bladder needs to yellow and then you just click on them while in the water and an option for weeing in the ocean comes up.

Thank you! That's what I thought I did before, but I haven't seen the option lately. Maybe it depends on a Sim's traits, like a neat or perfectionist Sim might not get the option.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:

Thank you! That's what I thought I did before, but I haven't seen the option lately. Maybe it depends on a Sim's traits, like a neat or perfectionist Sim might not get the option.

Ooh, I never thought of traits factoring in, thats interesting. I'll have to test that out tomorrow!
    Thank you everyone for your comments! It is super helpful and insightful hearing all the things I am able to do in the expansion pack. @Cest_si_Bon Thank you for your kindness! I am actually waiting for results to get into University haha, I have one unconditional offer but there is another University I prefer that I need a certain grade for. Good luck with your results too!

I was wondering if anyone could help me, in this trailer there is many things that I am unable to find in the game.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agwJY6UbQF4

1. The girl that is starring in the video is actually not a mermaid in my game, is this intended? She went into water and no mermaid tail! It is quite sad as there is a whole trailer about her being a mermaid..
    2. At 0:36 in the trailer we can see the new career and being able to work the same way as in Get To Work, however, it seems I only have "PTO, Work from Home or Go to Work" and no option to go to work with her and do what they do in the trailer. Do I need Get to Work for this?
    3. At 1:07 and 1:18 There are events, again those don't happen in my game. Do I need Seasons for this to happen?

I kind of assumed we can do everything in the trailer since it is a gameplay trailer so I am a bit confused.
  • GageaGagea Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited July 2019
    (...)

1. The girl that is starring in the video is actually not a mermaid in my game, is this intended? She went into water and no mermaid tail! It is quite sad as there is a whole trailer about her being a mermaid..
    You have to befriend her and then you can ask her if she is a mermaid and she'll say yes and switch to her mermaid form if you go swimming with her.
    2. At 0:36 in the trailer we can see the new career and being able to work the same way as in Get To Work, however, it seems I only have "PTO, Work from Home or Go to Work" and no option to go to work with her and do what they do in the trailer. Do I need Get to Work for this?
    You can't go to work with your sim in the new IL careers.
    3. At 1:07 and 1:18 There are events, again those don't happen in my game. Do I need Seasons for this to happen?
    They happen almost every day and they are all - except for the baby turtles - in the Ohan'ali Town neighbourhood, mostly in the afternoon or evening. When you're there, look for banners and baloons on the shore or around the pavillion that's across the street from the beach!
    Gagea wrote: »
    (...)

You have to befriend her and then you can ask her if she is a mermaid and she'll say yes and switch to her mermaid form if you go swimming with her.
    You can't go to work with your sim in the new IL careers.
    They happen almost every day and they are all - except for the baby turtles - in the Ohan'ali Town neighbourhood, mostly in the afternoon or evening. When you're there, look for banners and baloons on the shore or around the pavillion that's across the street from the beach!

Thank you for helping me!
    I didn't know mermaids can swim without showing their tails! I just thought it meant she wasn't a mermaid haha

So is it just.. a fake gameplay footage kind of thing for promotion? Quite sad.. EA really shouldn't show things we can't do in a gameplay trailer 😥

Thank you I didn't know! I have been out everyday to the beach with my Sim but I haven't found a festival yet I hope it will happen soon in my game.
    The fishing and the lifeguard career are rabbit hole careers, although you can ask a lifeguard "which way to the beach?" and they strike a pose. The conservation career you can follow them to a point I believe. After they are promoted and asked to pick either marine biologist or something to do with the business aspect of grants I couldnt tell you as Ive not progressed my sims that far.
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    Thank you for helping me!
    I didn't know mermaids can swim without showing their tails! I just thought it meant she wasn't a mermaid haha

So is it just.. a fake gameplay footage kind of thing for promotion? Quite sad.. EA really shouldn't show things we can't do in a gameplay trailer 😥

Thank you I didn't know! I have been out everyday to the beach with my Sim but I haven't found a festival yet I hope it will happen soon in my game.

Nalani (from the video) is absolutely a mermaid, she's a premade in everyone's game. She won't tell you that she IS a mermaid until you are quite high in friendship with her. If you are playing a mermaid yourself, you are more likely to see the other mersims swim around in their merform. You can also pick up the conchs on the beach, and blow them when she is around (or any of them, really). She'll make some sounds and you can ask about it.

I'm assuming you meant the conservationist career? Don't remember the trailer anymore.... I usually do "Work from home" and that's basically like following your sim to work. Most of it is done on Mua Pel'am so you have to take your sim there. The part-time jobs (and odd jobs, partially) are rabbit hole, so you can't go with your sim.