Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Equesst tries CAW Part 2 *Update (June 2020) Ternion Isle*

equuestequuest Posts: 718 Member
edited March 8 in Nominated Threads
So after looking at my first attempt at CAW I decided that I wasn't happy with how it was turning out due to my bad layout. The town hall was almost on the edge of the world, and I didn't want to rework the world so I decided to start over. I've been working on this world for a few weeks now and I like how it's turning out so far! :) It's a small world so I'm planning on fitting in as many lots as possible while still adding lots of detail.

Here's an overview of the part I've started detailing so far:
0DMBg9t.png

Boardwalk area:
s8hsmzc.png

Bridge to the residential part of town:
tUYC8EU.png

Small outlook over the ocean (I plan on doing many different lookouts around the town):
NV1yKN5.png

And what I call "Hydrangea Lane":
0UUdTZp.png

Now I have a question for you: Would you prefer the world to be only expansion packs or also include store content? Or I could make it use only expansions, and add lots that include store content as replacement lots?
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    You have been working hard and it looks lovely as a result :)

In answer to your question I build my worlds for what I want to do with it. So I use store as well as expansion packs. If you plan on sharing, and you should :) then perhaps two versions might be the answer. You can never guarantee other players have the same store content as you. The other thing I have found is EIG can be very temperamental about store content. Too much makes it difficult to open without crashing.

More pics when you are ready would be lovely :)
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • equuestequuest Posts: 718 Member
    @Bettyboop55 Thank you! :) I've been having a lot of fun with it. I think that you're right that two versions might be a better answer or even replacement lots. I noticed that EIG has issues with store content so I'm currently only using EIG that has the expansion packs.

I'll post more pictures when there is more progress :)
  • KatyFernlilyKatyFernlily Posts: 738 Member
    Really, really cute! I love the different levels of terrain! Great job!!! (I despise flat worlds:)
    @KatyFernlily Thank you! Even though it's a small world I'm trying to make it interesting with different levels of terrain.
    I have a small update: a small dock/fishing spot for sims on the canal. I had built this lot once before I raised the terrain to make it look like the docking ports weren't floating. I prefer the second attempt over the first attempt.

DUYW7YU.png
  • HidehiHidehi Posts: 1,109 Member

Your world looks beautiful @equuest :) !!
    Your terrain sculpting and painting is fabulous and I think that dock/fishing spot is a great idea! Can't wait for more pictures! <3
    Thank you @Hidehi :) I'm having a lot of fun working on it. Even though it's a small world I'm trying to make it as useful as possible.
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    This is looking beautiful! I would for sure download a world like this.
    @GraceyManor Thank you! I plan on putting it up for download when I finish it. :)

I love your icon! <3 I have horses IRL, although I haven't played much with sims 3 horses surprisingly. I should fix that.
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    @equuest
    Thanks! I love horses, my favorite animal.
    @GraceyManor Me too!
    edited July 2019
    Another update for the unnamed world:

Got the town center figured out, and placed some rabbitholes to get a sense of space. Now here's a question: yes or no to the training center/petite pony rabbithole? If yes, it'll go near the upper left hand corner of the world.

jeayED7.png
    edited July 2019
    I would say yes to the rabbit hole for horse lovers!
    Great Job!

Here is the download for the rabbit hole door for the equestrian center (if you want) so you can make your own, smaller version. https://web.archive.org/web/20140404153424/http://customsims3.com/forums/thread-967.html

I've used the door to make combo training center (with jumps) and equestrian on one lot. Nice and compact ; )
    Post edited by KatyFernlily on
    edited July 2019
    Oh, I love the idea of the rabbit hole door @KatyFernlily! I wasn't going to add CC (except for a park bench enabled for CAW), but then I can have the opportunity to create more residential lots since the Petite Pony Center takes up a lot of valuable space. Thank you!
    edited July 2019
    Are you placing park benches on lots or in the world?

If you place them in the world and not on a lot, the sims will high tail it to those benches to sit and eat or read. It doesn't matter how far they have to travel - they will get there one way or another!

If you are wanting them just for looks, I would make a tiny lot for the benches.

QYDWBGu.jpg

As you can see, you can make a tiny lot that is like 6x3 or even 4x3 and place your bench and then your sims won't act all crazy trying to reach that one that's in the world. (this bench is on a larger lot, just using it as an example.)

I also used rabbit hole rugs on the lot to make it a city hall, journalism office, vault of antiquity, arboretum and threw in a cafe ; ) It's a makeover of the Daffodil House from Champs Le Sims.
    edited July 2019
    I'm including Misty's rug for the equestrian center as well. More choices...
    Here ya go - http://simsasylum.com/tfm/index.php?/topic/11936-pets-ep-equestrian-center-rabbit-hole-rug/
    @KatyFernlily I didn't know that you couldn't place benches in the world. Thank you for letting me know! I'll have to change them into lots instead. And I didn't even think about putting in the supernatural rabbit holes like the arboretum or vault of antiquity. I'll have to look into that.

The makeover of daffodil house is beautiful and quaint! I love it! <3 I definitely want a quaint small town feel to my world as well.
    edited December 2019
    Thank you so much, equuest! I enjoyed redoing it. The only part that has "innards" is the cafe, aside from the rabbit hole rugs and a few pieces of junk that it came with, it's empty.

Simsample explains the benches here - http://modthesims.info/t/483483

(edit - the world I linked is not viewable any longer as all the pics were done with "tiny pic" which is now defunct,unfortunately)

This is looking good :) I vote yes to the rabbithole if you have the space. People can always swap it out for something else if they want a slightly different look.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,586 Member
    Hi :)

I would make a list of all the lots and houses I want first, and then see how much room you have on the map. Unless you plan on using the rugs.
    Still, knowing how much room you have for the lots you want is very important, especially if you have a small map. :)

edited July 2019
    @KatyFernlily Thank you! That explains the bench problem. And that world is beautiful and very detailed!

@Bettyboop55 that's true, and given that there isn't much space I wasn't going to make it look like a farming area.

@Rflong7 Hi. :) I know I would like one 64×64 lot in the upper left hand corner. And other than that, I think I have all the community lots covered (all BG rabbit holes, salon, consignment, fire station, gym, laundry, library, dive bar/arcade, and nightclub. I wanted to create a version of the world without store content, so I'm not sure what to do with the larger boardwalk lot. And other than that I just wanted to put in more residential lots. I was thinking of flattening the right side of the mountain to make some lots there. But right now I only have 12 residential lots, and I'm not sure how many is enough. But I also don't want to make the world too crowded.
    edited July 2019
    Here is more progress on Unnamed World:

Adding more detail to the town center:
    RsqhMM2.png

Created a houseboat:
    oNTSMDO.png

Started detailing the beach. I think another houseboat will go behind the rock formation.
    o6Be1lS.png

And last but not least:
    JVMieeU.png

Sculpted and started painting the main mountain focal point. I would like the island to be named after these mountains. Let me know if you have any good names! :)

Here's a bird's eye view for a comparison:
    nk943Yb.png?1
    You have been very busy and things are beginning to take shape. It looks good :) Might be worth looking at images of McKinnon Mountain in Canada, if you are looking for a name.

Sim enim est vita
    @Bettyboop55 Thank you! :)
    How do I fix this lot tearing?

81Shswm.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file